Ability: Poison Touch / Sticky Hold
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes
- Curse

Another Poison-type to get movepool buffs. Drain Punch at least somewhat increases Muk's longevity, and Toxic Spikes gives it actual utility on a team beyond being a blob. Nowhere near as good as Garbodor or Vileplume were in past gens but nevertheless a good mon most likely.

Sticky Hold is actually an option due the reduced Knock Off distribution (our only likely consistent spreaders are Hariyama, Klawf (yes really this could be not complete trash early on), Bombirdier maybe?) and non-0 presence of moves like Trick and whatnot.

Pairs real well with:

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Volt Switch

Who unfortunately got powercrept hard in Gen 8 but with the likely lower power level could prove to be quite useful early on.

Last edited:
Would rather speculate about 2 weeks from now than read a psychology textbook anyways.
I just wanted to talk about some of the mons that I think have some potential.

:Jolteon:
Okay, I can already hear the guffaws but hear me out. While we can't be sure how many of the eeveelutions we get, I think it's fair to say that while the bulky ones (Sylveon, Umbreon, Vaporeon) aren't guaranteed to drop, discount Regieleki is gonna drop. The addition of CM to the eeveelution's movepools allows some like the aforementioned to run CM in the 4th slot of otherwise standard wishpassing sets to further function as a bulky wincon. However, in a slower, frailer metagame, Jolteon might just be able to pull off an offensive CM cleaning set in the same vein as SSNU Hone Claws/DD Aero. Now, obviously, you don't have the speed for scarfers, you still don't have coverage without investing your Tera, and you realistically aren't going to get more than a +1 boost to your SpAtk. However, you are the second fastest unboosted mon (and Electrode is garbo), your SpAtk is already at a respectable 110, and if you can't Tera, you should have another plan to beat Ground and Grass-types anyways. I've been theorymoning that Tera Water is probably the best overall pick (Volt Absorb is nice), Ice is if you really want to that Grass coverage at the cost of a worse defensive typing, Flying is you want to be really reactive, etc. Definitely not a world-beater, but definitely something to consider as a decent cleaner against offense.

:Tinkatuff:
Honestly surprised that there isn't more about this mon here bc on paper NU mon has the best typing in the game at a time when Knock Off distribution has been cut. Tinkatuff itself has Knock, but it also can lay rocks and even deal actual damage if you need it to thanks to Foul Play. Basically, its movepool is just good enough to fill 4 slots with good moves that bring value to a team. In addition, despite its NFE status, it has a pgood Spe, putting it above other bulky mons ans even allowing for some EV shenanigans if there's something you absolutely have to outspeed. Whether PhysDef or SpDef, the Tuff guy here can check a decent number of mons, notably being a great check to Dragalge if we get that mon for some reason. Definitely excited to try this thing out.

Dance Dance Revolution
You know that there are a lot of scary QD users when I (an unapologetic stall player) am legitimately considering putting Oricorio on stall just bc Dancer makes it a decent check to all of the QD users in the sense that uhhh... at least they can't out-boost you? Especially with the existence of Tera, the QD users are bout to be a serious problem. Personally, I think that Oricorio isn't staying if any of them drop, and frankly, even Liligant and Vivillon are gonna be scary. Now, not all hope is lost, as apparently Chansey is dropping to ruin everyone's day >:) and with Oricorio being at only 93 Spe, it's not... impossible to find decent Scarf options that outrun the QD users, not to mention the possibilities for strong priority users. However, the issue is that everything that isn't Chansey (who is extremely passive, like what are you gonna do, Thunder Wave and then 3 SToss?) can get their chances of checking the QD mons either a) through Tera or b) getting slept if it's a Liligant/Vivillon. This isn't even to mention the various mons that straight up shouldn't drop to begin with. Suffice to say that building is gonna be not super fun.

So... Many... HAZARDS!
Yeah, we get a bunch of rocks setters, that's just par for the course, but additionally, thanks to a combination of gen9s dex as well as greater distribution, there are a lot of decent Spikes users. Surely we have some equally decent hazard removal right?........ RIGHT? WRONG! The pretty safe assumptions for hazard removal we get may include Braviary, Oricorio, Frosmoth, Komala, Coalossal, and maybe Cryogonal. You might have noticed that Oricorio and Frosmoth are probably better off running QD sets and Braviary would rather SubBU. That leaves Komala, Coalossal, and Cryogonal, who are all fine spinners butnone of tem are particularly outstanding. Coalossal has a lot of potential as role compression but that just means you have 4MSS. Personally, I hope fire Oricorio drops so I can try my Talonflame with Dancer idea, but again, sane players should probably just click the funny QD button.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and see you in 2 weeks on the ladder with some diabolical stall teams (okay maybe not all stall teams).

Would rather speculate about 2 weeks from now than read a psychology textbook anyways.
I just wanted to talk about some of the mons that I think have some potential.

:Jolteon:
Okay, I can already hear the guffaws but hear me out. While we can't be sure how many of the eeveelutions we get, I think it's fair to say that while the bulky ones (Sylveon, Umbreon, Vaporeon) aren't guaranteed to drop, discount Regieleki is gonna drop. The addition of CM to the eeveelution's movepools allows some like the aforementioned to run CM in the 4th slot of otherwise standard wishpassing sets to further function as a bulky wincon. However, in a slower, frailer metagame, Jolteon might just be able to pull off an offensive CM cleaning set in the same vein as SSNU Hone Claws/DD Aero. Now, obviously, you don't have the speed for scarfers, you still don't have coverage without investing your Tera, and you realistically aren't going to get more than a +1 boost to your SpAtk. However, you are the second fastest unboosted mon (and Electrode is garbo), your SpAtk is already at a respectable 110, and if you can't Tera, you should have another plan to beat Ground and Grass-types anyways. I've been theorymoning that Tera Water is probably the best overall pick (Volt Absorb is nice), Ice is if you really want to that Grass coverage at the cost of a worse defensive typing, Flying is you want to be really reactive, etc. Definitely not a world-beater, but definitely something to consider as a decent cleaner against offense.

:Tinkatuff:
Honestly surprised that there isn't more about this mon here bc on paper NU mon has the best typing in the game at a time when Knock Off distribution has been cut. Tinkatuff itself has Knock, but it also can lay rocks and even deal actual damage if you need it to thanks to Foul Play. Basically, its movepool is just good enough to fill 4 slots with good moves that bring value to a team. In addition, despite its NFE status, it has a pgood Spe, putting it above other bulky mons ans even allowing for some EV shenanigans if there's something you absolutely have to outspeed. Whether PhysDef or SpDef, the Tuff guy here can check a decent number of mons, notably being a great check to Dragalge if we get that mon for some reason. Definitely excited to try this thing out.

Dance Dance Revolution
You know that there are a lot of scary QD users when I (an unapologetic stall player) am legitimately considering putting Oricorio on stall just bc Dancer makes it a decent check to all of the QD users in the sense that uhhh... at least they can't out-boost you? Especially with the existence of Tera, the QD users are bout to be a serious problem. Personally, I think that Oricorio isn't staying if any of them drop, and frankly, even Liligant and Vivillon are gonna be scary. Now, not all hope is lost, as apparently Chansey is dropping to ruin everyone's day >:) and with Oricorio being at only 93 Spe, it's not... impossible to find decent Scarf options that outrun the QD users, not to mention the possibilities for strong priority users. However, the issue is that everything that isn't Chansey (who is extremely passive, like what are you gonna do, Thunder Wave and then 3 SToss?) can get their chances of checking the QD mons either a) through Tera or b) getting slept if it's a Liligant/Vivillon. This isn't even to mention the various mons that straight up shouldn't drop to begin with. Suffice to say that building is gonna be not super fun.

So... Many... HAZARDS!
Yeah, we get a bunch of rocks setters, that's just par for the course, but additionally, thanks to a combination of gen9s dex as well as greater distribution, there are a lot of decent Spikes users. Surely we have some equally decent hazard removal right?........ RIGHT? WRONG! The pretty safe assumptions for hazard removal we get may include Braviary, Oricorio, Frosmoth, Komala, Coalossal, and maybe Cryogonal. You might have noticed that Oricorio and Frosmoth are probably better off running QD sets and Braviary would rather SubBU. That leaves Komala, Coalossal, and Cryogonal, who are all fine spinners butnone of tem are particularly outstanding. Coalossal has a lot of potential as role compression but that just means you have 4MSS. Personally, I hope fire Oricorio drops so I can try my Talonflame with Dancer idea, but again, sane players should probably just click the funny QD button.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and see you in 2 weeks on the ladder with some diabolical stall teams (okay maybe not all stall teams).
about the QD problem, pompom form specifically is countered by glare sandaconda. yes, im a heavy advocate for this mon, but hear me out. It's a ground type, so it automatically is immune to revalation dance from pompom. sandaconda also gets decent damage moves like earthquake (in case of tera) and rock slide.

252 SpA Oricorio-Pom-Pom Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandaconda: 96-114 (27.5 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Sandaconda Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 154-182 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
about the QD problem, pompom form specifically is countered by glare sandaconda. yes, im a heavy advocate for this mon, but hear me out. It's a ground type, so it automatically is immune to revalation dance from pompom. sandaconda also gets decent damage moves like earthquake (in case of tera) and rock slide.

252 SpA Oricorio-Pom-Pom Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandaconda: 96-114 (27.5 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Sandaconda Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 154-182 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Going by your last post, its actually quite the contrary: Oricorio-Pom-Pom specifically absolutely hard counters Sandaconda, without a single way to interact with them short of just getting rocks up and switching out: being a Flying-type means theyre immune to Earthquake, whereas the Electric-type gives them immunity to paralysis altogether, even from Glare (you might be mixing it up with Ground-types, which can be para'd by it). Also, there were two things you mightve forgot to bring up in your post: how Oricorio has access to Hurricane which deals 60-ish to Sandaconda, and the way Revelation Dance actually works: it changes its type to match the users primary one, so if it Teras, the move will become the Teras type acting as a better Tera Blast. As for using Rock Slide, while it can let you considerably damage Oricorio, that comes at the cost of missing out on one of Rest (losing on longevity in a tier thats posed to not be as Wish centric as SS was), Glare (skipping on a, frankly speaking, broken move), or Rocks (which is pretty much the reason to be running the 'mon at all). Unfortunately theres not really much of a way around it; pretty much any Oricorio form that drops will be broken due to Tera, alongside just about every other QD mon short of maybe Masquerain.

:bw/magneton:
Only just dawned on me that we're going to be getting Magneton. There's not too many Steel-types in the tier to trap, but the likes of Perrserker and Tinkatuff will have to Tera to escape Magnet Pull. Analytic sounds absurd to switch into and Magneton's bulk, Eviolite or not, will make it a certain top tier breaker in this tier. Electric Steel will also force Quiver Dance users with the exception of Oricorio-Balle to Terastallize to hit it, making it a decent defensive check. I could even see Magneton using Protect to scout the Terastallization (most likely Ground or Fire) and retaliating with a Tera of its own (Grass or Water).

:muk: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk: 214-253 (51.6 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:komala: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Komala: 220-261 (65.8 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Going by your last post, its actually quite the contrary: Oricorio-Pom-Pom specifically absolutely hard counters Sandaconda, without a single way to interact with them short of just getting rocks up and switching out: being a Flying-type means theyre immune to Earthquake, whereas the Electric-type gives them immunity to paralysis altogether, even from Glare (you might be mixing it up with Ground-types, which can be para'd by it). Also, there were two things you mightve forgot to bring up in your post: how Oricorio has access to Hurricane which deals 60-ish to Sandaconda, and the way Revelation Dance actually works: it changes its type to match the users primary one, so if it Teras, the move will become the Teras type acting as a better Tera Blast. As for using Rock Slide, while it can let you considerably damage Oricorio, that comes at the cost of missing out on one of Rest (losing on longevity in a tier thats posed to not be as Wish centric as SS was), Glare (skipping on a, frankly speaking, broken move), or Rocks (which is pretty much the reason to be running the 'mon at all). Unfortunately theres not really much of a way around it; pretty much any Oricorio form that drops will be broken due to Tera, alongside just about every other QD mon short of maybe Masquerain.
there's a coil set that doesnt need to run rocks

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rest

also there's still your own tera if you really feel like it

+1 0 Atk Sandaconda Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 306-360 (105.1 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Oricorio-Pom-Pom Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sandaconda: 147-174 (42.2 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

there's a coil set that doesnt need to run rocks

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rest

also there's still your own tera if you really feel like it

+1 0 Atk Sandaconda Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 306-360 (105.1 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Oricorio-Pom-Pom Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sandaconda: 147-174 (42.2 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
> So you come in on Oricorio as it Quiver Dances, now it 2HKO's you if it choose to not OHKO you with a super-effective Tera Revelation Dance.
> You can't even OHKO back with Stone Edge assuming you even hit
> The calc doesn't even use the spread you posted which also doesn't have a Tera type

the saddest part is there are going to be somewhat reliable Oricorio checks (ignoring the unpredictable nature of Tera) like Muk and Flareon yet you insist that a Ground-type with 72/70 special bulk can counter a Flying-type.

> So you come in on Oricorio as it Quiver Dances, now it 2HKO's you if it choose to not OHKO you with a super-effective Tera Revelation Dance.
> You can't even OHKO back with Stone Edge assuming you even hit
> The calc doesn't even use the spread you posted which also doesn't have a Tera type

the saddest part is there are going to be somewhat reliable Oricorio checks (ignoring the unpredictable nature of Tera) like Muk and Flareon yet you insist that a Ground-type with 72/70 special bulk can counter a Flying-type.
stone edge would ohko with tera rock anyways

and besides this is only oricorio electric we're talking about, the others get glared on

Sandaconda could 1v1 oricorio pompom it uses stone edge which is super effective against flying types and its immune to electric type and doesnt even take much from hurricane. It can switch in and hit the bird with a super effective move to own it. It can also tera into a rock type and also glare the other forms

Posting thoughts on some mons (mostly nfes b/c this tier is about to be lacking LOL)

:dragonair: Tera Normal Espeed is funny thing. DD is your only option for boosting now since it lost curse but tera normal espeed tho....
:haunter: Felt like it got focus blast a gen too late but its a welcome addition and helps the mon alot. Choice sets got better.
:scyther: Always a good mon but CC probably made it a NU mainstay this gen. U-turn/CC mindgames are gonna be annoying af.
:murkrow: The most viable perish trapper if Altaria doesnt drop. Could be annoying against the fat mons with taunt as well. Roost nerf hurts it a little though.
:vigoroth: Doing what it did gens past. Taunt Bulk Up is always a menace. With tera in the mix you can go fire to avoid burns or even fairy/ghost for a better type chart.
:misdreavus: Taunt CM/Plot sets seem great. Esp since this mon now has access the draining kiss paired with tera fairy for longevity. You could also look into tera electric/fire/poison depending on status users (if any).
:dunsparce: This mon doesnt look too terrible with eviolite??? Got set up options and rocks. Maybe something like Glare/Hex/roost/cm tera ghost might be funny idk.
:bronzor: I was wondering why no was hyping this up thinking it gets night shade like bonzong...I feel to my knees in the Walmart parking lot

Ampharos
Appletun
Arcanine
Banette
Basculin
Beartic
Bombirdier
Braviary
Bruxish
Cacturne
Camerupt
Clawitzer
Coalossal
Crabominable
Cryogonal
Dedenne
Delibird
Dragalge
Drednaw
Drifblim
Dugtrio
Eelektross
Eiscue
Electrode
Falinks
Farigiraf
Flapple
Flareon
Frosmoth
Glaceon
Glalie
Gogoat
Golduck
Gothitelle
Greedent
Grumpig
Gumshoos
Hariyama
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Hypno
Indeedee-F
Jolteon
Jumpluff
Klawf
Komala
Kricketune
Leafeon
Lilligant
Lumineon
Lurantis
Luvdisc
Luxray
Lycanroc
Lycanroc-Midnight
Medicham
Muk
Oinkologne
Oinkologne-F
Oranguru
Oricorio
Oricorio-Pa’u
Oricorio-Pom-Pom
Oricorio-Sensu
Pachirisu
Passimian
Perrserker
Persian
Pincurchin
Pyroar
Qwilfish
Rabsca
Raichu
Rotom
Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Frost
Rotom-Mow
Sableye
Salazzle
Sandaconda
Sawsbuck
Scovillain
Seviper
Skuntank
Slaking
Spidops
Spiritomb
Squawkabilly
Stantler
Stonjourner
Sudowoodoo
Sunflora
Swalot
Sylveon
Tatsugiri
Tauros-Paldea
Toxicroak
Tropius
Ursaring
Veluza
Venomoth
Vespiquen
Vivillon
Whiscash
Wigglytuff
Wugtrio
Zangoose
Zoroark

NFEs:
Chansey
Morgrem
Primeape

Chansey is the only thing that's gonna be holding this tier together, oh god.

MOD EDIT: Removed the RU entries, which Im assuming were the bolded ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
:ss/vigoroth: :ss/passimian:
MONKE

Vigoroth looks like an excellent balance breaker. Its access to Taunt and Bulk Up in conjunction with reliable recovery in Slack Off lets it setup on the majority of the bulky staples predicted to drop. Its Vital Spirit ability might also come in clutch as a countermeasure to the likes of Sleep Powder Vivillon and Lilligant. Overall, a very solid pokémon.

Passimian looks like a whole threat with its insane 120 base Attack coupled with near-perfect coverage in STAB Close Combat plus Knock Off. Very few of the predicted drops are actually able to switch into a Choice Band or even a Choice Scarf set, making it a very potent wallbreaker.

:ss/oricorio: :ss/oricorio-pa :ss/vivillon: :ss/lilligant:
DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION

We're also potentially getting many Quiver Dance sweepers. Both Oricorio forms have access to potent dual STABs, further enhanced by how terastalization works with their signature move Revelation Dance. Vivillon also looks like a phenomenal sweeper with access to nearly 100% accurate Hurricanes and Sleep Powders. Lastly, Lilligant also looks very threatening, specially with access to Tera Blast to compliment its movepool.

:ss/bruxish: :ss/basculin: :ss/basculin-blue-striped:
SOMETHING SMELLS FISHY...
Bruxish looks like an incredible threat with its access to Strong Jaw-boosted Psychic Fangs coupled with a secondary Water STAB. Alternatively, both Basculin forms got access to the new move Wave Crash, which, coupled with an amazing ability in Adaptability, makes it basically a strong nuke against even resisted Pokémon, of which, judging by the predicted drops, we won't have that many!

:ss/abomasnow: :sv/cetitan: :ss/beartic:
HAIL YEAH

As we've seen in previous metas, namely SS NU, snow (formerly known as hail) is often a very strong playstyle. Coupled with the fact that Light Screen-boosted Aurora Veils are a thing again, I can definitely see snow teams being very problematic right off the bat, specially with how many strong setuppers we're getting, like the Oricorio forms, Misdreavus and Ursaring.

:ss/ursaring: :ss/zangoose: :sv/squawkabilly:
A GUTSY BUNCH

We're likely also getting a bunch of strong wallbreakers that rely on status conditions in Ursaring, Zangoose and Squawkabilly. Ursaring's massive Attack stat makes it an incredible breaker and its new access to Eviolite further cements it as a potential bulky abuser of RestTalk. Zangoose is a fast, strong breaker with stellar coverage in Close Combat and Night Slash, while Squawkabilly's dual STAB certainly makes it a potential option over the ferret. Overall, I'm pretty hyped for these critters!

:sv/quaxwell:
QUACKINGTONS

Quaxwell looks like one of the premier spinners of the tier, with excellent defensive Water typing, workable bulk and access to reliable recovery in Roost. Judging by how limited our hazard removal options are going to be, the duck might just see some decent usage!

Other things to keep in mind:
:coalossal: :komala: :cryogonal: LIMITED REMOVAL MIGHT MAKE HAZARD STACKING VERY POTENT!
:golduck: :qwilfish: MANUAL RAIN MAKES A COMEBACK?
:houndoom: :pyroar: A HEATED META?
:torracat: :floragato: AN OBSSESSION WITH MIDDLE STAGE CAT STARTERS

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Ampharos
Appletun
Banette
Basculin
Beartic
Braviary
Cacturne
Camerupt
Clawitzer
Coalossal
Crabominable
Dedenne
Delibird
Dugtrio
Eelektross
Eiscue
Electrode
Falinks
Flapple
Flareon
Frosmoth
Glaceon
Glalie
Gogoat
Golduck
Gothitelle
Greedent
Grumpig
Gumshoos
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Hypno
Indeedee-F
Jolteon
Jumpluff
Klawf
Komala
Kricketune
Leafeon
Lilligant
Lumineon
Lurantis
Luvdisc
Luxray
Lycanroc
Lycanroc-Midnight
Mabosstiff
Muk
Oinkologne
Oinkologne-F
Oranguru
Oricorio
Oricorio-Pa’u
Pachirisu
Passimian
Perrserker
Persian
Pincurchin
Pyroar
Qwilfish
Rabsca
Raichu
Rotom
Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Frost
Sandaconda
Sawsbuck
Scovillain
Seviper
Skuntank
Slaking
Spidops
Spiritomb
Squawkabilly
Stantler
Stonjourner
Sudowoodoo
Sunflora
Swalot
Tauros-Paldea
Toxicroak
Tropius
Ursaring
Vaporeon
Vespiquen
Vivillon
Wigglytuff
Wugtrio
Zangoose

NFEs:
Chansey
Morgrem

:hattrem: The only Magic Bounce user left, will probably do the same things it did in early SS NU.
:tinkatuff: It's decent in RU from what I've seen, so it'll probably be good here too. No Gigaton Hammer makes it very passive, but between Thunder Wave, Knock Off and Encore, it can be quite a nuisance for the opponent.
:vaporeon: Sub+CM+Stored Power or a budget CroCune. A Chansey-less world would weep at its sight. Still can do other Vaporeon things, like not dying.
:jolteon: This is the gen that Jolteon will finally be good again :cope:. Tera Water could be cool, because what are they going to do to you? Thunderbolt?
:scyther: No Roost sucks, but it's like a better Braviary
:oinkologne::oinkologne-f: Seen funny Stuff Cheeks Ganlon sets with Body Press, could work here.

MOD EDIT: Edited to remove RU entries, which Im assuming were the crossed out ones

Last edited by a moderator:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Past Gens OU low ladder noob here. (Or at least, someone with not enough time on his hands to want to grind ladder. College student problems. And I'm not even that busy compared to other kids.)

:ss/vivillon: was a Pokémon I rediscovered during Sword & Shield that I haven't used much myself, primarily because that would require me to play Sword & Shield and I would rather watch paint dry than do that. That being said, when I saw that Vivillon had the potential to drop to NU... taking a look at what else is projected to drop to NU... good heavens, this thing could be an absolute monster. (Also yes I know that model is the wrong form, I don't know how to fix that yet.)

Vivillon-Fancy @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Compound Eyes
Tera Type: Steel
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Alternate Move Options: Hurricane (accuracy lowered by Snow), Roost (PP was nerfed to 8 in this generation), Tera Blast
Alternate Nature Options: Timid (swaps some power for more speed)
Alternate Tera Type: Anything that makes good type coverage, I dunno

This is just the set I would run if I was going to play the tier, but this feels like something with potential to warp the new tier around itself. Speaking from experience, Vivillon's Sleep Powder after a Quiver Dance is going to be one of the hardest moves to switch into in the entire tier, due to the boosted accuracy rate and the fact that most Grass-Types immune to spore/powder moves are going to lose to a boosted Vivillon anyways. The reason this wouldn't work in the existing RU tier is simply because from what I've seen, the RU metagame seems like it will develop in such a matter where the best counters to other Quiver Dancers like the harder hitting Venomoth, Lilligant, and Oricorio start increasing in usage in the coming months. As such, those "anti Quiver Dancers", so to speak, would remain RU by usage and not drop to NU, leaving Vivillon free to go crazy in the new NU.

Edit: It definitely helps that Vivillon can maintain a good matchup against most of the other Quiver Dance users, should NU matches develop into a metagame where set-up sweepers set up in each other's face. Compound Eyes Sleep Powder would be the key here, theoretically letting Vivillon set up for free against any Quiver Dance user not named Oricorio or opposing Vivillon (the latter assuming both player's Vivillon run the same Nature; I would expect one player's Timid Vivillon to come out on top against a Modest one after a boost thanks to Sleep Powder).

Last edited:
A small collection of potential NU sets of varying quality:

:crabominable:
:sv/crabominable:

Crabominable @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Tera Type: Electric / Ice / Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Ice Hammer / Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Crabominable has a truly incredible offensive typing hitting 9 types for super effective damage. The downside is the truly awful defensive typing with 3 resistances and 6 weaknesses. However now with Tera it can fix its defensive woes while still maintaining its offensive prowess. While it is held back by its 43 speed, Crabominable will almost certainly have the highest attack in the tier behind Slaking with 132 and combined with Iron Fist (or Hyper Cutter if not using any punches) make this crab one of, if not the, hardest hitter in the tier.

:skuntank:
:sv/skuntank:

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Gunk Shot
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch

Quite the opposite the Crabominable, Skuntank brings one the best typings in the game with only 1 weakness, 4 resistances, and an immunity. Its STAB combo will only be resisted by Toxicroak, Krookodile, and other Skuntanks in the low tiers as well. Skuntank is mostly decent/unimpressive stats but it has some tools in the form of STAB Sucker Punch and my personal favorite gimmick: Explosion. With Tera Normal Skuntank becomes arguably the best exploder in the game (fwiw) and is able to delete the majority of pokemon in the tier. So basically spam Sucker Punch until you feel threatened and then boom.

:klawf:
:sv/klawf:

Klawf @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy / Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Klawf's physical bulk combined with Regenerator allow it to act as a defensive pivot. It also brings the very useful tools of Stealth Rock and Knock Off and decent enough offensive capabilities with 100 attack and Rock/Ground coverage. High Horsepower is annoying but oh well.

:cryogonal:
:sv/cryogonal:

Cryogonal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Ghost / Steel / Electric / Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Haze
- Freeze-Dry

Cryogonal brings a whole lot to the table with good bulk, Rapid Spin, Recover, Haze, a good ability, and a good STAB move, but it is held back by having the worst defensive typing. But luckily now Tera is here to fix that and there are actually a few options. Ghost allows Cryogonal to act as a spin blocker as well as giving it three immunites. Electric and Poison both work great with Levitate to turn into a actually nice defensive type. Steel is a bit of a mixed bag as it gives a ton of resistances but two of its weaknesses carry over.

Last edited:
252 SpA Tera Ground Frosmoth Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Crocalor: 170-204 (46.4 - 55.7%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tera Ground Lilligant Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Crocalor: 203-242 (55.4 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Masquerain Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Crocalor: 136-160 (37.1 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Crocalor: 93-111 (25.4 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Oricorio-Pa'u Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Crocalor: 100-118 (27.3 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Oricorio Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Crocalor: 100-118 (27.3 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

These were some calc against all the quiver dance user except venomoth and oricorio pom pom/sensu.

Frosmoth is definitely getting banned and maybe Lilligant too,and some of this can do more than just being a QV dance user like both oricorio forms can be a defogger and masquerain can be a sticky web user.

Also some of this monster even have SLEEP INDUCING MOVES??Yeah...i don't know how to feel about this,and Crocalor was kinda passive with no Torch Song imo so its's like for Crocalor to hit them.

Tell me if i miss something

Last edited:
Scyther losing roost is a big deal. It NEEDS to run Heavy duty boots and will there for lack recovery. I can see it being used with wish as a good hazard removal option for bulky teams (maybe with tera normal quick attack to deal with the quiver dancers).
Rotom Frost also might be decent. With tera, it can boost its volt switch and ditch its terrible ice typing while maintaining the stab.

Eelektross is IMO going to be a huge threat. Its immunity to spikes is super helpful in a tier that will very likely lack good hazard removal and it benefits from spikes as a lot of checks will get worn down. Speaking of checks/counters while our least favorite pink blob may seem like a hard wall they gave this eel close combat. This does 36.6 - 43.1% with 0 investment and while that may not look like a lot, remember, recoverys PP got nerfed AND most chanseys are runnning eviolite. Its going to get worn down and Overwhelmed very quickly.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fighting/Electric/Steel/Fire
EVs: 164 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower/Giga Drain/Drain Punch/Flash Cannon

Someone better then me can probably make a spread that does everything mine does and makes you breakfast, but this allows you to 2HKO Evo max defence chansey with rocks and a layer of spikes up. Nature is because I did not want to sacrifice any Defence stats and the speed is to let you outspeed 0 speed chansey. Meaning it does not have the chance to soft boiled. Tera typing and last move are very flexable depending on meta/team. This thing lost a lot of moves and gained a lot of moves so go wild. Its solid bulk with AV allows it to switch into a lot of the special attacks that are bound to be flying around. Such as the predicted hurricane spam from the quiver dancers, Potential crygonal ice beams, Rotoms tera boosted thunderbolt, and many others. I think this has a good chance of fitting on Offensive teams, as a pivot that hits hard and can help secure a team against some of the most dangerous threats.

Dragalge is going to be ridiculous. Not going to beat around the bush. Adaptability specs Draco and Sludge Wave Is going to be ridiculously hard do switch into. With the only fairy that can being tinkatuff. And while that things special bulk is surprisingly solid, Its not going to be enough because yet again, we have another wall that lacks recovery and therefore will have trouble checking things with the insane amount of chip they will be taking from rocks and spikes.

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Dragon
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt/Surf/Dragon Pulse

This is going to probably be the bread and butter set. Its ridiculously hard to switch into and it really only needs its first 2 moves. You could probably do tera ground with tera blast to destroy steals, or do some gimmicky thief stuff to bait in certain pokes, but this feels like the bread and butter set that will cause mass knock outs and destruction.

Jolteon seems like a interesting poke that will thrive specifically in the alpha stages. as everyone spams offense jolt will be there, faster then it alll and ready to do its thing.
Jolteon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Ice/Water/Ground
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Tera Blast/Protect
- Wish/Shadow Ball/Calm Mind/Thunder Wave
Im much less confident in the last move. I think protect has its niche uses but most of the time its tera blast. I picked Ice and Ground because they both compliment electric well offensively. With water its a great mix of both, being able to switch into electric type attacks because of volt absorb and hard walling rotom frost, but you find yourself being walled by dragalge, and thats a poke you really dont want to let in. However the last move can help with that. Again, not a super complicated poke. Standard 252 252 4 spread with timid should do you perfectly well.

TBH, not 100 percent sure on the general consensus of whether or not this thing drops, but dark ghost seems like a monster Defensive typing and will-o-wisp is a incredible supporting tool.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure/Infiltrator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex/Shadow Ball/Foul Play/Nightshade
- Pain Split
This thing lost a lot of really nice moves, however it still has some sauce. Pressure is a great ability, but infiltrator will allow you to burn things through sub. This is a HUGE benefit for the quiver dancers, as well as other set up sweapers. Again, The main draw of this thing is its type. Only one weaknesses and resistances/immunity’s to poison,fighting, (with those two being toxicroaks stab, a poke that is slated to be a huge pain in the ass for many teams) psychic and normal, this thing has potential to be a great spin blocker that can come in on spinners and make there life really hard. For tera type go with whatever you think is best for your team.

Zangoose got a huge buff in tera this gen. Its tera boosted stab facades are going to be almost impossible to switch into and its solid coverage in Close Combat and Night Slash make that task even harder.

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Night Slash
- Close Combat
- Switcheroo/Quick Attack/Swords Dance/Taunt
Zangoose has a surprisingly deep movepool and has some solid options. Swords Dance allows it to set up on things it forces out, but zangooses main flaw is far from a lack of power. Switcheroo allows for you to cripple pokes that would otherwise be pains like spiritomb and other bulky ghost types. Tera normal quick attack is shockingly strong and can help offensive teams revenge powerful quiver dancers and other set up sweapers. Taunt can stop recovery but most of the time it will probably worthless. Zangooses main flaw comes from its longevity. Its weakness to spikes and the fact that its always poisoned makes it very easy to chip down. However the odds are this things taking something on its way out.

Working on something for Toxicroak, Tauros combat, Zangoose and a few others.

W.I.P Mods dont obliterate me plz :)

Last edited:
rabsca.png

Rabsca @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Revival Blessing
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Psychic

I don't know if Rabsca will dropped but i think It's gonna be good,like it's one of the only mon who has revival blessing.It's typing wasn't that bad considering there's a lot of fighting type dropping to the tier.Rabsca also have 75/85/100 bulk which isn't necessarily good but it could work, and it also have a good sp attack.

Also i saw someone running a funny Rabsca set.It has rest talk with Revival Blessing and Psychic which has like infinite revival blessing

Last edited:
Frogadier actually is heat af
:sv/frogadier:
Frogadier @ Eviolite
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Water
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Mud Shot

Protean is still good, and it has a pretty damn good speed tier, tying with Haxorus, one of the biggest RU threats atm. Defo could see this being a cool mon in NU.

Frogadier @ Eviolite
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Mud Shot

Protean is still good, and it has a pretty damn good speed tier, tying with Haxorus, one of the biggest RU threats atm. Defo could see this being a cool mon in NU.
I feel like Specs is a better choice than Eviolite as Frogadier’s bulk is poor no matter what, especially if you are not investing anything into it. Also Frogadier’s SPA is still only 83, so it will need boosts to really make an impact.

:frogadier:
Frogadier @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Water / Ground / Fire
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot / Tera Blast
- U-Turn / Tera Blast

Tera Ground and Fire give extra coverage that Frogadier lacks, but without knowing what is in the tier yet, is hard to say what the most important coverage type will be. Hydro Pump is probably better than Surf due to the aforementioned unimpressive attacking stats. Not sure how useful Grass Knot will be, NU doesn’t seem very heavy at the moment. But yea, I think Specs or maybe Life Orb are stronger options than Eviolite. However if you do want to use a bulkier Eviolite Water middle stage, then Quaxwell :quaxwell: looks like it could be a good spinner with Roost!

Last edited:
Frogadier @ Eviolite
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Mud Shot

Tbh this set is not doing it for me. I think you could def make it work with a taunt spikes tspikes set, but its offenses dont feel good enough to justify a slot.

Abomasnow
Ampharos
Appletun
Arcanine
Avalugg
Banette
Basculin
Beartic
Bombirdier
Braviary
Bronzong
Bruxish
Cacturne
Camerupt
Cetitan
Clawitzer
Coalossal
Copperajah
Crabominable
Dachsbun
Dedenne
Delibird
Dudunsparce
Dugtrio
Eelektross
Eiscue
Electrode
Espeon
Falinks
Flapple
Flareon
Florges
Froslass
Frosmoth
Gardevoir
Glaceon
Glalie
Gogoat
Golduck
Goodra
Gothitelle
Greedent
Grumpig
Gumshoos
Hariyama
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Hypno
Indeedee-F
Jolteon
Jumpluff
Klawf
Komala
Kricketune
Krookodile
Leafeon
Lilligant
Lumineon
Luvdisc
Luxray
Lycanroc
Lycanroc-Midnight
Mabosstiff
Magnezone
Masquerain
Medicham
Mismagius
Mudsdale
Muk
Oinkologne
Oinkologne-F
Oranguru
Oricorio
Oricorio-Pa’u
Oricorio-Pom-Pom
Pachirisu
Passimian
Perrserker
Persian
Pincurchin
Pyroar
Qwilfish
Rabsca
Raichu
Rotom
Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Frost
Sableye
Sandaconda
Sawsbuck
Scovillain
Seviper
Skuntank
Slaking
Spidops
Spiritomb
Squawkabilly
Stantler
Stonjourner
Sudowoodoo
Sunflora
Swalot
Sylveon
Tauros-Paldea
Toxicroak
Tropius
Umbreon
Ursaring
Vaporeon
Veluza
Venomoth
Vespiquen
Vivillon
Weavile
Wigglytuff
Wugtrio
Zangoose
Zoroark

NFEs:
Chansey
Morgrem

Last edited:
Abomasnow
Altaria
Ampharos
Appletun
Arboliva
Arcanine
Avalugg
Banette
Basculin
Beartic
Bellibolt
Braviary
Cacturne
Camerupt
Cetitan
Clawitzer
Coalossal
Copperajah
Crabominable
Cryogonal
Dachsbun
Dedenne
Delibird
Dragalge
Drednaw
Drifblim
Dudunsparce
Dugtrio
Eelektross
Eiscue
Electrode
Falinks
Farigiraf
Flamigo
Flapple
Flareon
Florges
Frosmoth
Glaceon
Glalie
Gogoat
Golduck
Goodra
Gothitelle
Greedent
Grumpig
Gumshoos
Hariyama
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Hypno
Indeedee-F
Jolteon
Jumpluff
Klawf
Komala
Kricketune
Krookodile
Leafeon
Lilligant
Lumineon
Lurantis
Luvdisc
Luxray
Lycanroc
Lycanroc-Dusk
Lycanroc-Midnight
Mabosstiff
Masquerain
Medicham
Mudsdale
Muk
Oinkologne
Oinkologne-F
Oranguru
Oricorio-Pom-Pom
Oricorio-Sensu
Pachirisu
Palossand
Passimian
Perrserker
Persian
Pincurchin
Pyroar
Qwilfish
Rabsca
Raichu
Rotom
Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Frost
Rotom-Mow
Sableye
Sandaconda
Sawsbuck
Scovillain
Seviper
Skuntank
Slaking
Spidops
Spiritomb
Squawkabilly
Stantler
Stonjourner
Sudowoodoo
Sunflora
Swalot
Sylveon
Tauros-Paldea-Fire
Toxicroak
Tropius
Umbreon
Ursaring
Vaporeon
Vespiquen
Vivillon
Whiscash
Wigglytuff
Wugtrio
Zangoose

NFEs:
Chansey
Morgrem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)