Project SV NU Personal Viability Rankings Discussion

my-image (1).png

This meta is about to get shaken up again in a few days, so I thought I'd put my final personal VR together just for fun. I'll be giving explanations for some mons that I want to touch on. (NONE OF THIS IS ORDERED)

:umbreon: Between its ability to wall almost everything, threatening Toxic on other bulky walls and provide Wish support, it's really damn good. With Tera Poison especially it becomes really annoying as it turns its common weaknesses into resistances and makes Toxic 100% accurate. Love using it but hate playing against it.

:tauros-paldea-aqua: :flamigo: Both amazing fighting types at the moment. Flamigo has an insane STAB combination and can pivot (also has recovery if you want that), whereas Aqua Tauros has an incredible ability in Intimidate, is faster, and has a solid defensive typing. These two are amazing Choice item users and Aqua Tauros can even go the setup route with Bulk Up. Definitely the most defining fighters right now.

:toxtricity: Might be wondering why it's in A+ instead of S, but it's just mainly down to what I define as an S rank mon. I see S ranks as mons who are very good at what they do and are very splashable. Toxtricity is certainly very strong, but it's quite slow and not that bulky, which in my opinion offsets it to the point where it is not an S rank pokemon as sometimes you would rather have a faster breaker. In my opinion, a pokemon does not have to be S rank to be considered "broken".

:dudunsparce: It's probably because I'm a noob but I still hate playing against this guy. It was definitely overshadowed by Snorlax (cuz he's fat lol) so it's usage has been quite low recently, but it's still a very threatening bulky wincon. Notably it has more reliable recovery than Snorlax and also has higher speed as well as a higher chance to cause paralysis with Body Slam, which can be used to speed creep many mons after they have become paralysed. It can also flip the script only physical walls with it's Calm Mind variant. It is far more vulnerable to status than Snorlax is, meaning you have to play more carefully with it but it is often very deadly. I'd probably put it higher, but it has dipped a lot in usage so I'll leave it in A for right now.

:decidueye: :decidueye-hisui: I honestly think it is very possible that these two coexist together because of their difference in roles. Alolan Decidueye is a lot more threatening offensively because of it's very strong STAB move in Poltergeist, where it can Tera Ghost too boost its power while also powering up it's strong priority in Shadow Sneak. Hisuian Decidueye however has solid defensive merit, with its crazy signature move Triple Arrows and Knock Off resistance. It notably checks mons like Brute Bonnet and Copperajah very well, which Alolan Decidueye can struggle to do.

:altaria: I'm ngl I thought this mon was complete trash , but I have been playing on the high ladder against this mon and it's very annoying. Now that stuff like Piloswine and Glastrier are a lot less common it can utilise it's defensive typing much better while also spreading burns making it a pretty solid Defog mon. Don't use Perish Trap though it sucks.

:sandaconda: "omg is this guy still coping with conda, give it a rest". Listen just hear me out. Sandaconda is not an amazing pick my any means right now as it is very exploitable with Rest and invites a lot of very threatening mons in easily, making Stealth Rock users such as Palossand more ideal. HOWEVER, there is one thing that Sandaconda has which is really important. It is one of the only mons in this tier which has a 100000-0 matchup against Umbreon (provided it has Coil obviously) as it doesn't care about status and Umbreon is not hitting it hard at all with Foul Play. As a Coil user in general it is still quite decent, maybe even a bit overlooked but obviously very specific.

In terms of notable NFEs not on here:
Duraludon -> A-
Rhydon -> A-
Porygon2 -> idk but maybe B- or smth

Probably a lot to disagree with as I am definitely overrating and underrating a lot of mons but who cares lol. If you got any additional questions hit me up in NU discord or if you see me in the PS room. S/O to WilhelmTheOkay as always for making this.

I agree with a lot of what Ac1D_13 said with his rankings, I also thought it would be funny to mention that the best team Shagg51 and I each came up with independently uses all five of the S-tier mons, plus Tsareena the best spinner. Good removal is so hard to come by in this meta, and that always feels like my biggest constraint when buliding a team. Also, I'm particularly fond of Umbreon and its ability to wear down its foes while keeping its team healthy, I find it difficult to build a team without one.

1704823218651.png

Here is a list from my perspective as a casual, low ladder player who only started playing gen 9 NU at the beginning of december. I pilot offense mainly so that has influenced my placements i'm sure. I am enjoying the meta a lot now that rain and the shell smashers are gone. Here are the specific new mons i want to touch on:

1704823603877.png
Most of the time I fight this thing i have had a flash cannon duraladon on my team, so it gets oneshot provided it has not used calm mind yet. But the times duraladon is dead this thing is almost always going to get at least one kill, depending on their luck with diamond storm. It's a snail so it's vulnerable to revenge killing from almost anything, but lucky defense boosts from diamond storm can make it really tough to handle, and nigh impossible to oneshot even without any boosts- while it threatens quite a bit. I don't think it needs banned, but the setup from calm mind and/or diamond storm can be very obnoxious so i would understand if it ended up banned.

1704823491907.png
This guy is really strong without being insufferable or unkillable. If it's physical, it's probably going to live a hit, strength sap, and then wall. Even if whatever physical mon it switched into leaves, the sludge bombs chunk for a suprisingly high amount. Just an overall great mon that handles a lot of top physical threats unless they stock a specific move for it like zen headbutt on pauros.

1704823968013.png
1704823987323.png
1704823998903.png
Three new special attackers who are all quite good. All three of these mons are very powerful and have enough variation with their sets that when one switches in, you can't always know exactly what move it will click, or what item it might have, without any of them being unkillable or unwallable. I would include glowbro in this group, but quick draw sets, while managable, are quite annoying, so i don't think he is as healthy as these three.

1704824693328.png
He's everywhere, and it makes sense. Very splashable, very versatile, while not being fast, bulky, or powerful enough to be overpowered in my opinion. I hope he sticks around.

1704824882823.png
I don't see the fuss about this guy, this may just be low ladder/myself not knowing how to abuse him to full extent. Even after a bulk up i don't think he threatens to OHKO many things neutrally, meanwhile he is still threatened to be 2 hit ko'd by many things. I understand the snorlax comparison (who I have barely seen) but he feels more like a sidegrade rather than an upgrade due to worse typing. Maybe it's just the kind of teams i'm using or poor teams i put him on, but i don't see the cries to ban him as warranted.

1704825164007.png
This is another mon I wouldn't be surprised to see banned honestly, due to the power that comes from booster energy and dragon dance. However even after a single boost he is not unwallable nor unable to be revenge killed. I also have simply not seen as many since the rain ban, he could still be crazy.

1704825284002.png
Really solid. Threatens powerful brave birds while being fast enough to not make scarf nigh-mandatory like flamigo. Not to say he is a direct upgrade however, I see him as a sidegrade with enough differentiating him from flamigo to be worth using or considering.

1704825537279.png
I have been seeing more scarf boar recently, and with scarf he outspeeds all unscarfed/ unboosted mons besides jolteon and electrode- and the flare blitz damage is powerful. Access to knock off and sucker punch are also welcome. Definitely flawed and vulnerable but the power has to be respected and I would not be surprised to see more experimenting with him. The extra power gained compared to fire pauros is worth the speed drop in my opinion.

*Edit*
1704940668725.png
Forgot this guy since he has been out a little longer than the jan 1st tier shift mons. I love him. I personally don't really like the iron press set, i love him as a general special threat. I find whenever I send him out people just start playing worse, eating lots of OHKO draco meteors or flash cannons when they want to switch in a fairy. I could honestly write an essay on how much I enjoy this mon. He is powerful both offensively and defensively with utility to boot, by far my favorite rocks setter in the tier.

Last edited:
My thoughts of the current meta. Some might be Hot takes but these are mine thoughts of the meta rn. Everything till A+ is arranged in order.
my-image (2).png

Some takes are

:Meloetta: Melo is still cracked as it was last month imo. Its simply too good at its role thanks to its versataility and incredible movepool. Last Month I mainly ran CM sets but this month I truely came to appreciate how amazing support melo are. offensive AV Melo is my favorite utility set but boots, bulky AV are great aswell.It almost never feels useless. Offensive sets are great aswell. Special shotouts to sub CM melo which is my favorite melo set in general. (U can EV it so gligar eq doesnt break sub!)Specs and scarf are cool aswell.

:Diancie: Mon is Cracked aswell. It is extremly versataile and extremely good at its role. Either is a great entry hazard setter or a devestating sweeper thats nigh unbreakable or just a great specs breaker. Trick Room gained a great boost mainly due to dian.

:Oricorio: This might be a hot take but baile is better than Sensu imo. Having a solid copper matchup pre tera is something sensu can only dream of. Fire in general is a great typing in general. Baile can thus utilise other teras (usually defensive) like Ground and Fairy a lot better than Sensu.

:Ninetales: Offensive Ninetales is a criminally underrated set. Boots NP and scarf are extremly useful game to game. Scarf even packs healing wish for more support.

:Emboar: Check some CB reckless calcs.

:Sylveon: Mon is absolutely amazing. Specs is just toxtricity but bulkier (A bit tamer aswell but fairy actually hits mons for super effective damage). (Easily lives specs fire blast from chandy) Support sets are great aswell thanks to wishing partners like copperajah and goodra.

:Flygon: Imo the best mon rn. Incredibly hard to NOT use on a team from classic scarf to Choice band to Dragon Dance. I have even heard about mixed and even special flygon sets not sure how great they are but they cant be bad.

:Tsareena: The best removal rn imo. Simply extremly consistent with amazing flexibility in its moveset. Struggles with 4MSS sometimes so it cant be higher but it will do something extremly useful always thanks to its great damage output and great utility movepool.

:Electrode-Hisui: Why did this fall to PU? It simply volts all over the opponent and is a superb revenge killer due to this reason. It chips down checks like Copperajah and Gligar repeatedly by spamming its stabs till they are weakened.

:Altaria: Better this month than Last month imo. Cloud Nine is now useful for the sun matchup. But Alt is one of the absolute best answers to Tauros-Aqua available which is HUGE(Thats why run Hurricane not Brave Bird). It also has an OKish gligar and Copperajah matchup so it can decently defog. Some Setters like Pallosand are nightmare though.

:Glastrier: People are sleeping on this mon rn. Its still insanely good.

1710393077766.png

The possible questions people might have.

I don't think sun is amazing thats why 9tails and Venu are just good, manual rain is just ok at best thats why Kingdra that only works there is mid. Terrain in the other hand is really good.

Munkidori is my biggest disappointment of all drops.

And Incineroar to me is the most underrated atm.

There are mons like G Brow, Scrafty, Inteleon that are being less used because they are not new in the tier but they are still really good.

Do get it twisted - this IS the end all be all list of NU rankings. The Pokemon are not ordered within each tier, just alphabetically. If you have any problems with my list, I hope you get swept by an :Armarouge: :Weakness-Policy:

S Tier

:Armarouge: Armarouge
:Gyarados: Gyarados
:Lycanroc-Dusk: Lycanroc-Dusk
:Mienshao: Mienshao

A+ Tier

:Infernape: Infernape
:Krookodile: Krookodile
:Mew: Mew
:Necrozma: Necrozma
:Slowbro: Slowbro

A Tier

:Avalugg: Avalugg
:Brambleghast: Brambleghast
:Cloyster: Cloyster
:Diancie: Diancie
:Dragalge: Dragalge
:Muk-Alola: Muk-Alola
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus
:Rhyperior: Rhyperior
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat
:Tsareena: Tsareena

A- Tier

:Cetitan: Cetitan
:Klefki: Klefki
:Magnezone: Magnezone
:Milotic: Milotic
:Munkidori: Munkidori
:Oricorio-Pom-Pom: Oricorio-Pom-Pom
:Quagsire: Quagsire
:Swampert: Swampert
:Talonflame: Talonflame
:Typhlosion-Hisui: Typhlosion-Hisui
:Vaporeon: Vaporeon

B+ Tier

:Brute Bonnet: Brute Bonnet
:Flygon: Flygon
:Galvantula: Galvantula
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon
:Iron Thorns: Iron Thorns
:Minior: Minior
:Ninetales: Ninetales
:Overqwil: Overqwil
:Porygon-Z: Porygon-Z
:Raikou: Raikou
:Slowbro-Galar: Slowbro-Galar
:Sylveon: Sylveon
:Thundurus: Thundurus
:Torterra: Torterra
:Toxtricity: Toxtricity
:Umbreon: Umbreon
:Venusaur: Venusaur

B Tier

:Bellibolt: Bellibolt
:Chandelure: Chandelure
:Chansey: Chansey
:Drednaw: Drednaw
:Espeon: Espeon
:Florges: Florges
:Goodra: Goodra
:Hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:Inteleon: Inteleon
:Lucario: Lucario
:Noivern: Noivern
:Registeel: Registeel
:Vileplume: Vileplume

B- Tier

:Ambipom: Ambipom
:Bronzong: Bronzong
:Copperajah: Copperajah
:Duraludon: Duraludon
:Gligar: Gligar
:Golurk: Golurk
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:Incineroar: Incineroar
:Kilowattrel: Kilowattrel
:Kingdra: Kingdra
:Meloetta: Meloetta
:Mudsdale: Mudsdale
:Scrafty: Scrafty
:Smeargle: Smeargle
:Tatsugiri: Tatsugiri
:Tauros-Paldea-Aqua: Tauros-Paldea-Aqua
:Tentacruel: Tentacruel

C+ Tier

:Abomasnow: Abomasnow
:Arcanine: Arcanine
:Basculegion: Basculegion
:Delphox: Delphox
:Emboar: Emboar
:Exeggutor-Alola: Exeggutor-Alola
:Flamigo: Flamigo
:Gallade: Gallade
:Hitmontop: Hitmontop
:Oricorio-Sensu: Oricorio-Sensu
:Rotom-Mow: Rotom-Mow
:Sandslash-Alola: Sandslash-Alola
:Sceptile: Sceptile
:Staraptor: Staraptor

C Tier

:Altaria: Altaria
:Bastiodon: Bastiodon
:Charizard: Charizard
:Coalossal: Coalossal
:Decidueye-Hisui: Decidueye-Hisui
:Froslass: Froslass
:Glastrier: Glastrier
:Grafaiai: Grafaiai
:Heracross: Heracross
:Jolteon: Jolteon
:Lanturn: Lanturn
:Lycanroc: Lycanroc
:Palossand: Palossand
:Pawmot: Pawmot
:Qwilfish: Qwilfish
:Sandslash: Sandslash
:Scream Tail: Scream Tail
:Snorlax: Snorlax
:Tornadus: Tornadus
:Toxicroak: Toxicroak
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott
:Wo-Chien: Wo-Chien

Oh, you made it this far? Here's the method of how I made this post!
1) Used the /ds command to paste a list of all NU, PUBL, and PU Pokemon
2) Pasted this list to ChatGPT to put the names into a .csv
3) Typed the ranking for each mon in the column next to the name
4) Uploaded the spreadsheet back to ChatGPT and instructed it how to format the ranks and the little pictures

April Update! As before the tiers aren't ordered and weather/terrain setters are ranked based on how I see the play style more so than the viability of the individual mon. There is a significant drop off between B+ and B and things get more niche from there. Duraludon may need to move up but I just haven't really seen it in this meta.

my-image-5.png

March PVR Record
March PVR
my-image.png

A couple things to note here: tiers are not ordered, and I ranked weather/terrain setters based on where I see the playstle. Thwacky by itself is not A-, but it enables grassy terrain which I think is really good. There are some pokemon in B+ that I wasn't sure how to rank, namely Typhlosion-H, Rotom-H, Rotom-C, Scrafty and Magnezone. I'm a little unsure of Incineroar as well. To get a more accurate rating on these I think I would need to use them more in this meta. Chandelure is an underrated wallbreaker right now and I think CM 3 attacks with boots or colbur berry is really good into a lot of current balance cores. Muk-A takes a lot from +1 fire blast. I think infernape is one of the best mons we have right now. Mienshao may be the best scarfer, but nape is a close second (being a good scarfer and faster than mienshao is a niche by itself) and I really like mixed nape. It really wishes it could have 5+ moves, but still solid nonetheless. SD/NP are a little awkward because I don't think it has great 3 move coverage especially when you want priority too. Krook would probably be A+ if it was a little faster. Flygon is still really good I think and it does the same things it always has. Sure it's slower than mienshao which is the scarfer to outspeed, but it still checks a lot of teambuilder boxes especially for balanced teams. It does have more competition though, and DD will likely be the main set moving forward. I think an Armarouge ban is inevitable and I think after that Psychic Terrain will be much less good. Sure we have espeon but I think the unburden mons are... just ok. The meta has adapted to the standard substitute terablast fly Gyarados, (which is still really good) but that doesn't mean it doesn't have options to get around a lot of its checks. A lot of balance teams tend to use an iron press mon to boost alongside gyara and taunt shuts a lot of that down for example. Munkidori may be better than I am rating it but ive really only seen scarf and its just been ok. I think Thundurus-I is the best of the fast electric types still. It isn't the fastest but it is fast enough and has a lot of coverage options that the others don't have. More I need to explore there I think! Sawsbuck is actually ok on sun in my experience and it helps fill the void liligant-h left when it got banned. Not amazing but enough good enough that I put it on here as a niche pick. I'll probably wind up coming back to and updating this in the near future but this is what I think right now!

Last edited:
So after playing the new meta here is my personal tier list

S Tier

:Flygon:Flygon
:Slowbro:Slowbro
:Mienshao:Mienshao
:Lycanroc-Dusk:Lycanroc-Dusk

A+ Tier

:Cloyster:Cloyster
:krookodile:Krookodile
:infernape:Infernape
:muk-alola:Muk-Alola
:diancie:Diancie
:Dragalge:Dragalage
:noivern:Noivern

A Tier

:Brambleghast:Brambleghast
:mew:Mew
:Registeel:Registeel
:sylveon:Sylveon
:talonflame:Talonflame
:Lucario:Lucario
:Rhyperior:Rhyperior
:gastrodon:Gastrodon

A- tier

:inteleon:Inteleon
:Copperajah:Copperajah
:Vileplume:Vileplume
:ninetales:Ninetales
:swampert:Swampert
:quagsire:Quagsire
:Tsareena:Tsareena
:Venusaur:Venusaur
:reuniclus:Reuniclus
:Scrafty:Scrafty

B+ tier

:magnezone:Magnezone
:mudsdale:Mudsdale
:vaporeon:Vaporeon
:Thundurus:Thundurus
:Iron Thorns:Iron Thorns
:porygon-z:Porygon-Z
:slowbro-galar:Slowbro-Galar
:tentacruel:Tentacruel
:incineroar:Incineroar
:milotic:Milotic
:oricorio-Pom-pom:Oricorio-Pom-Pom

B tier

:avalugg:Avalugg
:chansey:Chansey
:florges:Florges
:goodra:Goodra
:Gallade:Gallade
:pawmot:Pawmot
:klefki:Klefki
:galvantula:Galvantula
:smeargle:Smeargle
:overqwil:Overqwil
:raikou:Raikou
:Kingdra:Kingdra
:typhlosion-hisui:Typhlosion-Hisui

B- tier

:torterra:Torterra
:Drednaw:Drednaw
:umbreon:Umbreon
:munkidori:Munkidori
:Rotom-heat:Rotom-Heat
:Kilowattrel:Kilowattrel
:Flamigo:Flamigo
:Ambipom:Ambipom
:bellibolt:Bellibolt
:cetitan:Cetitan
:tornadus:Tornadus
:Charizard:Chariazard

C+ tier

:Grimmsnarl:Grimmsnarl
:Thwackey:Thwackey
:toxicroak:Toxicroak
:heracross:Heracross
:Toxtricity:Toxtricity
:Sceptile:Sceptile
:houndstone:Houndstone
:salazzle:Salazzle
:meloetta:Meloetaa
:Golurk:Golurk
:Tauros-paldea-aqua:Tarous-Paldea-Aqua

C tier

:bASCULEgion:Basculegion
:bronzong:Bronzong
:chandelure:Chandelure
:arcanine:Arcanine
:rotom-mow:Rotom-Mow
:Scream tail: Scream Tail
:Gligar:Gligar
:Abomasnow:Abomasnow
:Indeedee-F:Indeedee-F
:Zoroark:Zoroark

My updated PVR for April

S+

:slowbro: Slowbro

S

:lycanroc-dusk: Lycanroc-Dusk
:mienshao: Mienshao

A+

:cloyster: Cloyster
:flygon: Flygon
:krookodile: Krookodile
:mew: Mew
:muk-alola: Muk-Alola

A

:brambleghast: Brambleghast
:diancie: Diancie
:dragalge: Dragalge
:reuniclus: Reuniclus
:rhyperior: Rhyperior
:Talonflame: Talonflame
:Thundurus: Thundurus

A-

:avalugg: Avalugg
:Chandelure: Chandelure
:feraligatr: Feraligatr
:gallade: Gallade
:galvantula: Galvantula
:Infernape: Infernape
:klefki: Klefki
:lucario: Lucario
:ninetales: Ninetales
:noivern: Noivern
:porygon-z: Porygon-Z
:quagsire: Quagsire
:registeel: Registeel
:swampert: Swampert
:venusaur: Venusaur
:Vileplume: Vileplume

B+

:Copperajah: Copperajah
:gastrodon: Gastrodon
:magnezone: Magnezone
:oricorio-pom-pom: Oricorio-Pom-Pom
:rotom-heat: Rotom-Heat
:scrafty: Scrafty
:sylveon: Sylveon
:Torterra: Torterra
:typhlosion-hisui: Typhlosion-Hisui

B

:Basculegion: Basculegion
:Cetitan: Cetitan
:incineroar: Incineroar
:Iron thorns: Iron Thorns
:munkidori: Munkidori
:Toxtricity: Toxtricity
:Tentacruel: Tentacruel
:vaporeon: Vaporeon
:umbreon: Umbreon

B-

:Abomasnow: Abomasnow
:Bellibolt: Bellibolt
:Charizard: Charizard
:espeon: Espeon
:exeggutor-alola: Exeggutor-Alola
:florges: Florges
:gligar: Gligar
:houndstone: Houndstone
:inteleon: Inteleon
:kilowattrel: Kilowattrel
:kingdra: Kingdra
:meloetta: Meloetta
:milotic: Milotic
:minior: Minior
:mudsdale: Mudsdale
:raikou: Raikou
:rotom-mow: Rotom-Mow
:Slowbro-galar: Slowbro-Galar
:tsareena: Tsareena

C

:arcanine: Arcanine
:Bronzong: Bronzong
:Duraludon: Duraludon
:Flamigo: Flamigo
:glastrier: Glastrier
:golurk: Golurk
:goodra: Goodra
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:pawmot: Pawmot
:salazzle: Salazzle
:sandslash-alola: Sandslash-Alola
:sceptile: Sceptile
:smeargle: Smeargle
:thwackey: Thwackey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)