Project SV DOU Tierlist Thread

my-image (18).png

Going to comment on things that are far from the DOU consensus
- I started using Iron Hands more because it's winning every Series 2 VGC tour and it is an absolute monster. There is very little that shuts down offense, either the kind enabled by Iron Bundle or Chien-Pao, like Iron Hands. It has enormous stats and CC/Drain are the scariest buttons in the game.

- Bundle is the best speed control in the tier with Icy Wind and enables non-priority offense to exist much more than Chi-Yu. Also something that is winning every Series 2 VGC tour - it's slightly worse in DOU because we banned Flutter Mane and speed control is less impactful but it still has unresisted coverage and the best speed in the game.

- Garganacl gets a lot better when you stop using the really bad ID/BP set. Protect and Wide Guard in those slots gives it a ton of utility and leans much better into clicking broken Salt Cure.

- Arcanine is way too overhated and thrives with CB/AV sets on teams that would like its defensive qualities but don't want to slow down tempo.

- Roaring Moon suffered from too high of expectations but it's not something that realistically belongs in Tier 4 because the other Tailwind setters suck a lot more

Last edited:
1674674485668.png

main things:
chien bundle up
ting pala down

The offense ruins enable most attackers, easy tier 1s. originally we werent sure how good chien is but that amazing speed makes it enough along with no flutter.
chi enables all spa cuz it can work in tr with bulky set and fast when invests speed, chien enables fast attackers and prio

ting drops cuz eq is best set but not as easy to build a eq safe team, still super good

bundle up cuz its very fast and the flutter replacement sorta, and with hp invest it tanks decently with its unique spread of being strong def but spa attacker

pala down cuz outside rain it doesnt seem too good, usable for sure but not as splashable as t2s

moon solid mon as i said b4, its just a harder mon to use well but its very decent cuz faster than jug. jug shines only in rain so i put them same tier

i could see a few things in t3 rising with the ape ban, and the revive mons. not sure which reviver is better, they r pretty diff.
some t5 stuff could also prove itself and rise.

i think sun rain sand all very good, sand seeing less use but it looks very decent to me, so all same tier. the weather abusers put in low tier according to how strong i think they r, idk why hound is getting a ton of hate its very decent on sand. snow unfort i think is quite a bit worse than rest, with all other weathers being good and ppl even running screenbreakers for grim, its very tragic.

Glimmer

We own the night
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
1674677684610.png

Hi, template creator here! I'm gonna comment on some (hot) takes I have on this Tier List! (also, if you want any mon added to the template, be sure to let me know)
1674675660290.png

Wo-Chien: okay so I know I have nommed this mon to drop before, but after laddering with it and testing with friends, I have changed my mind on the Snail. This mon is super bulky and supports the cast of special attack really nicely. I specifically paired it up with Sylveon, Chi-Yu, and Iron Bundle on the team I spammed. For example this was a calc I came across:
252+ Atk Iron Hands Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tablets of Ruin Iron Bundle: 230-272 (72.7 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
1674675685114.png

Scream Tail: this mon is... really versatile to put it lightly. It makes up for its terrible offenses with great bulk, speed, and access to really powerful utility moves such as Thunder Wave, Encore, Fake Tears, Stealth Rock, Psychic Fangs, Helping Hand, Trick Room, and even stuff like Howl and Scary Face which are admittedly nicher options. Although it has flaws (the lack of damage output as I said, and the fact that Gholdengo pretty much hard counters this guy), its presence simply cannot be ignored and a simple Thunder Wave can shutdown the fast offensive threats we have.
1674676472577.png

Maushold: Here is another mon that is really really versatile, but in a different way. Population Bomb can exert immense offensive pressure, as non-resists (that aren't called Iron Hands or Wo-Chien) take a lot from it. Maushold can further increase the pressure using Tidy Up, removing hazards and increasing its already high Speed and Attack stats. Combined with Technician and Bite to hit Gholdengo, it can get out of hand really fast. But what puts Maushold aside from the crowd of offensive threats is the defensive value. It gets access to a bunch of support moves, most notably Follow Me, Encore, and Super Fang. It can also completely ditch the offensive side and focus completely on supporting its teammate with Friend Guard and Follow Me.
1674677160685.png

Sylveon: Fairy attacks be really good this gen, and the scarcity really bumps up Sylveon for me. The special bulk, the power, and the utility comes in a nice package. Tera is also absolutely great for it, as Tera Blast provides it a single target Fairy-STAB before Teraing and provides it Fire-type super effective coverage against Gholdengo, Amoonguss, and Kingambit who would otherwise survive Sylveon's attacks and punish it with Make it Rain, Spore, and Iron Head respectively.

Few Notes on Playstyles:
I think both stall and hyper offense benefitted from Annihilape ban a lot. Stall gets to click weaker attacks without fearing giving Ape Rage Fist stacks, stuff like Snarl and Knock Off mainly. Hyper Offense also likes having to not care about what it clicks at what time, since one wrong click into Annihilape isn't an insta-loss. Rain and Sun are still pretty good, Tyranitar struggling and the sand abusers being lackluster puts Sand in an awkward spot, and Snow just hates the fact that the main reason it is used (the Aurora Veil) is prepared against because of the viability of Grimmsnarl. Glimmora Balance also likely gets better with Ape ban, again same with stall, throwing out weaker attacks like Icy Wind and Snarl is way less punishable (mainly by Kingambit, which I think also got better).

I wish everyone that read through a nice day ^-^​

1674696413267.png

I think my meta takes are pretty close to qsns, main differences are that bundle is top of tier 2 (by a somewhat large margin) instead of tier 1, pult is actually a mon you can run and rain wont be as good with the increased bundle usage post-ape ban.

1674730885882.png

I have ordered within the tier up to tier 2.

I´d make Pincurchin tier 4 but he isnt there.

I especially think that Sylveon and the priority deniers should go up in the viability ranking.

PikaSpark

sad emoji
is a Tiering Contributor
my-image (4).png

(I have decided to come out of the lurking zone)
I have a really high opinion on Sylveon right now. Sylveon makes good use of Tera, Fire usually and Hyper Voice is pretty spammable. Pretty respectable natural bulk as well.

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
1674674589058.png

:scizor: Scizor

Scizor is undeniably worse without Flutter Mane in the tier, but it's still a lot better than most people give it credit for. Technician Bullet Punch is very epic on priority spam teams with Chien-Pao, U-Turn nukes every anti priority mon while keeping up momentum, and even fits on a lot of bulkier teams because Bullet Punch is good for cleaning late game and it has utility up until that point by virtue of it's good defensive typing, good bulk and slow U-Turn. I don't think it's top tier or anything but it's definitely still perfectly usable.

:skeledirge: Skeledirge

Skeledirge is very good. It has a lot of the tools Arcanine has (other than Intimidate and Extreme Speed) but has Torch Song, which lets you completely sweep through bulkier teams as well as Unaware which is great into teams that rely on setup. I've been talking about this mon since the start of the generation and it's only gotten better since. It's an amazing supportive tool with Will-o-Wisp, Snarl, Roar, and so on as well as Slack Off for longevity. It's not passive either, as Torch Song forces you to pay attention to it.

:dragonite: Dragonite

I still don't get people saying this thing needs Chien-Pao. It obviously gets a lot better with it, but it's damage output is still great without it, and has only gotten better after Flutter Mane and Annihilape, the two main immunities to Extreme Speed, were banned. It has the perfect kit for a physical cleaner with Inner Focus to ignore Intimidate and Fake Out and Facade to absorb burns in a pinch and still be able to convert it into a win. It fits on basically every team style by virtue of it's wide movepool and good defensive typing and pretty much defines priority spam as an archetype alongside Chien-Pao.

:meowscarada: Meowscarada

I used to think this mon was bad, but I have been converted, i am now a meow meow enjoyer. Grass is a very good offensive types, as Water-types like Palafin and Iron Bundle are very hard to punish due to the distinct lack of Rillaboom in this meta. Meowscarada fills the niche of an offensive Grass-type, has great utility options like Pollen Puff and Trick Room, and Flower Trick is a very good move. It’s also one of the only pokemon with Knock Off currently which is a very spammable attack.

:wo chien: Wo-Chien

I am now a Wo-Chien believer. It pairs very well with a ton of great pokemon like Sylveon, Chi-Yu and Iron Bundle and has some really decent utility. Fits very nicely on balance teams and kinda just doesn’t die while keeping your whole team alive with Pollen Puff.

:brute bonnet: Brute Bonnet

Bonnet is underrated, this mon is good. Fits very nicely on Trick Room teams that want an Amoonguss-like pokemon that can deal actual damage. Stuff like Choice Band bonnet is also fairly underexplored, banded Sucker Punch hits like a truck.

:lycanroc: Lycanroc

Only really a thing on sand but it’s really good there. Sand abusers are pretty limited this gen, we went from the Galar fossils 2hkoing Rillaboom and Tapu Fini on resisted hits to “please hit my dog”. Sash Lycanroc can fire off powerful Rock Slides and Close Combats and then start clicking Endeavor when it gets low enough. Pretty cool mon, still miss the fossils though.

All of my other takes here seem pretty reasonable, I don’t have much to say about anything else here. I don’t care enough to make a viability rankings post but tier lists are fun

Xrn

is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
won kickoff then flopped in seasonal im so talented
disclaimer: tiers are unordered and i havent built or played much as much in the past month, hopefully this still holds up
doutierlistfeb2023.png

T1:
- Chien-Pao enables a crazy amount of mons while being a big threat itself and finds it's way onto a lot of the most dominant offenses
- Iron Hands and Amoonguss hold slower paced teams together, Hands is a Fake Out stat stick that trades vs everything and Amoon is Amoon

T2:
- All the best offensive picks are here. Bundle and/or Chi-Yu could prob be argued for T1
- Hazards good.Ting-Lu is fat and gets up, Glimmora is strong and gets up

T3 & T4 are kinda just good mons, some shit can change around pretty easily. I think Kingambit and Garganacl have potential to be T2 but haven't seen it yet. Pelipper might already be T2, rain good af

T5 is definitely a shitshow, some of these mons might belong in T4 or UR. Don't have a well-defined opinion on all of them but think they're at least usable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)