Rules SV Battle Stadium Forum Rules & Simple Questions

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Scarlet/Violet Battle Stadium
OP adapted from cant say's previous SQSA thread

Be sure to check Smogon's forum-wide rules because those all apply here as well. There aren't too many rules beyond that, but here's some things to remember when posting here:
  1. Don't post a thread without asking either myself (Psynergy), cant say or chemcoop first! The only exception is if a new Online Competition gets announced and none of us are online to ask, however you need to put effort into the OP. Use past threads as a reference, make sure the rules are clear and tag Lego so he can add the format to Showdown!
  2. Don't advertise your YouTube or Twitch channels here without asking us either. Now that Pokémon is on an actual console, it’s never been easier to capture footage and create content, so we're sure there will be an influx of content creators wanting to get their stuff out there. If you think your content is particularly good then send us a message. You will probably see posts around the forums from our "Approved Streamers" but that doesn't give you a license to do it either!
  3. No discussing or promoting of hacking methods. We take a zero tolerance to this, you will receive a hefty infraction for doing so.
  4. Please keep posts to the relevant threads!
    • Simple Questions go in this thread
    • Questions regarding past metas go here
    • Discussion of 3v3 Singles goes here
    • Discussion of 4v4 Doubles goes in the VGC forum here
    • In-progress teambuilding help goes here (coming soon). Completed team showcases/help go in the Rate My Team (RMT) forum, but make sure to read their rules first.
  5. Lurk Less! As long as you've read these rules then you will be fine posting here! We want to encourage new users to get involved here as soon as possible.
Use this thread to ask about anything you're unsure of!

If you've got a simple question about Battle Stadium and not sure where to post, this is the place!

FAQ:
  • What is Battle Stadium?
    • Battle Stadium is the collection of online ranked modes on the Switch games themselves. The modes are 3v3 Singles (BSS) and 4v4 Doubles aka The Official VGC Ladder (discuss that in the proper forum). In all modes - barring some special formats - you bring 6 Pokemon and choose the required amount at team preview
  • How do I play Battle Stadium?
    • Firstly you'll need a Nintendo Online account. Once in the game, press X to bring up the menu and choose Poke Portal, then choose Battle Stadium and go to Ranked Battles. From there you can choose Singles or Doubles.
  • What are the rules? What's banned?
    • The simplest way of explaining the rules of Battle Stadium is that it's an online, player-vs-player version of the Battle Tower. Depending on the ruleset for the series, only certain mythical Pokemon are banned, you can run up to two cover legendaries on each team, you can only use one of each item on your team, and Terastallizing is allowed.
  • Can I use Pokemon transferred from older games?
    • It is currently uncertain how transferred Pokemon will be handled for Battle Stadium, but if it is similar to previous generations, they will be able to receive a mark that allows them to be used for online battles. However, this will likely require wiping all transfer exclusive moves.

What's the most Spe Skeledirge might run? I'm sure I've seen fast-ish.

I want to know for EVs on Sandaconda, who can ohko with +2 EQ(coil.) It loses if slower, though.

Does iron defense mence have merit? Won some on timer, maybe one or two without with this mence. Bold Lefties Dragonbreath/ ID/ Roost(thank God it still gets it, was worried until I checked,)/ Sub(for pex, wo-chien, Clodsire mainly.)

It can completely invalidate meowscarada, even if they are play rough thanks to intimidate and even possible steel tera. Knock off sucks though, but that's for most anything...I think I could also use flying STAB not dragonbreath. But the latter leta me fairly frequently do para on, say, dnite. That really matter cause I want to outspeed the encore to set up.

Mostly I'm concerned, since it was brought up to me, how this compares with T-wabe dnite or gyara. Dnite is same type, gyara is intimidate. Dnite just really doesn't seem like an answer to the mirror though, really ever. Sub seems more awkward for it with multiscale, too. So if mence with iron def is acceptable id love ideas to improve it. If it's deemed not I'll just use it until it proves bad then try to change.

I know you guys wont have the exact answer, but when do you think the regulation that permitted box legendaries will be started?

I know you guys wont have the exact answer, but when do you think the regulation that permitted box legendaries will be started?
It likely won't start until after the DLC releases, as I suspect Regulation E and F will be for the Teal Mask and Indigo Disk additions respectively. So theoretically, the earliest I think we'd see a legends meta is Regulation G. Going off of three month durations, that would put us at April 2024.

Is there a proper Pokemon counter list on this board for BSS? I’m playing Battle Stadium Singles on Switch (made it to Rank 8/9) and am starting to have a problem with top tier Pokémon like Flutter Mane, Urshifu Rapid, Chien Pao, Heatran, Iron Bundle lol.

This is my squad currently (I sub in Flutter Mane in place of Iron Valiant sometimes because I feel forced to)

https://pokepast.es/c961d24c235218cf

I know the type matchups, but sometimes it feels like fastest pkmn wins in this 3v3 format.

Is there a proper Pokemon counter list on this board for BSS? I’m playing Battle Stadium Singles on Switch (made it to Rank 8/9) and am starting to have a problem with top tier Pokémon like Flutter Mane, Urshifu Rapid, Chien Pao, Heatran, Iron Bundle lol.

This is my squad currently (I sub in Flutter Mane in place of Iron Valiant sometimes because I feel forced to)

https://pokepast.es/c961d24c235218cf

I know the type matchups, but sometimes it feels like fastest pkmn wins in this 3v3 format.
I don't think so. All the top threats you mentioned are heavily messed up by paralysis, perhaps look to spread that.

I don't really have experience with using those mons for the most part, I like lower usage things and some that are more like A+ than S or very close...I feel my AV toedscruel often does good with the 3 special threats you mentioned. It can take a 4x SE freeze dry and ohko bundle with Giga Drain, pretty sure +1 SpA Flutter's mystical fire did 68 damage. Heatran is ohkos, either with earth power, or if it's balloon then with mirror coat.

Also azu takes rapid shifu and chien pao fine.

That's a very good observation and not too far off the truth.

Attacking "from above" (ie going first) is extremely important unless you are planning to run super bulky teams, and even then you often want at least one fast thing that can clean up the enemy team late in the game. Right now, your paste has nothing that can match things like Chien-Pao, Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle in terms of Speed. One consideration might be to put Booster Energy on Iron Valiant. Also, is Rotom-Wash supposed to be Choice Scarf? You have three Leftovers on the paste, which obviously isn't legal.

Those are just small suggestions though; your team looks a bit all over the place and its not apparent if there is a core strategy to it or not. How do you normally play it on ladder?

40% of Chien-Pao are Tera Electric, so Azumarill is not a consistent check.

I don't think so. All the top threats you mentioned are heavily messed up by paralysis, perhaps look to spread that.

I don't really have experience with using those mons for the most part, I like lower usage things and some that are more like A+ than S or very close...I feel my AV toedscruel often does good with the 3 special threats you mentioned. It can take a 4x SE freeze dry and ohko bundle with Giga Drain, pretty sure +1 SpA Flutter's mystical fire did 68 damage. Heatran is ohkos, either with earth power, or if it's balloon then with mirror coat.

Thanks so much for this! It seems like it's good to sprinkle in Pokemon from lower tiers if they can do something specific that no Pokemon from higher tiers can do better. Like Toadscruel is C- currently, but it being able to counter those guys the way it does is pretty amazing.

That's a very good observation and not too far off the truth.

Attacking "from above" (ie going first) is extremely important unless you are planning to run super bulky teams, and even then you often want at least one fast thing that can clean up the enemy team late in the game. Right now, your paste has nothing that can match things like Chien-Pao, Flutter Mane, and Iron Bundle in terms of Speed. One consideration might be to put Booster Energy on Iron Valiant. Also, is Rotom-Wash supposed to be Choice Scarf? You have three Leftovers on the paste, which obviously isn't legal.

Those are just small suggestions though; your team looks a bit all over the place and its not apparent if there is a core strategy to it or not. How do you normally play it on ladder?

40% of Chien-Pao are Tera Electric, so Azumarill is not a consistent check.
So this team was created for OU and I ended up using it for BSS on the Switch as well. Ting-Lu is actually running Red Card over there and Rotom-Wash has a Sitrus berry. My strategy on ladder was to set/remove hazards with either Ting Lu or Great Tusk. Rotom and Moltres form a tandem of crippling certain mons with T-wave or Will-o-wisp and fast switches, Gholdengo and Iron Valiant being my sweepers. The team doesn't do too badly there. Moltres might be the weird one of the group but it helps with the grass weakness.

The funny thing is on BSS I only end up using Iron Valiant (or Flutter Mane substitute), Gholdengo and Ting Lu. The other three don't get much usage.
I apologize if this is too long! It seems like it's leaving "simple question" territory. But I am really interested in what changes I can make to help with speed (I'll either give Iron Valiant Booster Energy, or maybe switch to Flutter Mane), and my problems with these top-tier pkmn. Feel free to message me! Omastar68 Photon

Last edited:
Why is Pawmot not very viable, and what niches does it still have over stuff like Zapdos or Urshifu?
I've had lots of trouble with pawmot, but it is frail. And a Tera hog fwiw. It faces competition from those sorts plus the same type iron hands. I guess revival blessing, also only one of two mach punch mons in current dex.

What EVs are being run on most Dragonite in BSS?
Like 90% of the time offensive and defensive sets runs max/near max HP, then atk or defense, SpDef is very rare to invesnt into since naturally Dnite's special bulk is pretty good, Speed is the stat where varies the most and depends on the set and what the team needs cuz even defensive spreads run little over 100 Speed EVs to cover certains threats.

I've been using the strat dex Curse Dondozo. I like it, though there's no specific reason I'm using this set over others I suppose.

Are there any other good EV spreads for it than max HP/SpD? I ask cause some phys def for reg Urshifu would be welcome. Even w/ Rest, recoil can put you in a bad way, and I have a generally unsatisfactory match up to dark Urshifu, at this time. Should be better vs. water but nvm that. How much, if any, Def can be run at the cost of SpD, and what is it trying to take specially, besides just in general cause it boosts def(I don't always get a chance for this, but often enough?)

As much as I'd love the snow Def boost for the mon I'm trying to support w/ screens, it doesn't seem to work to have Ninetails-A ad 2 other ice types(one of them is the target of this type of support, though ofc everything likes it to a varying degree.) Well, it hasn't cost me yet necessarily, but few games(not that I'm winning much, but losing specifically from being too icy isn't a great concern from how I did...but rather from how I'd expect to do.)

So my question would be, what is the best screener besides Veil NInetails. Grimmsnarl comes to mind immediately thanks to Prankster. I'm not really sure what else can even be considered. Regieleki does damage unlike NInetails, which is decently helpful for me as the icy mons prevent Ninetails form having notable coverage at all. Ofc that's only electric coverage....and sometimes ice again lol. So yeah, what are some screeners that make sense? I'd like mor options than just Grimm, although tbh I don't see anything wrong w/ that itself, as it is immune to Prankster taunt even, and priority vs. reg taunt.

Edit: the main ice type is frosmoth. I'm especially trying to avoid compounding steel or rock.

Last edited:
i've always thought about how deadly it would be to have chiyu as your screens setter, and make everything look like a normal team, not a screens team, and just abuse the crap out of that suprise factor.

i've always thought about how deadly it would be to have chiyu as your screens setter, and make everything look like a normal team, not a screens team, and just abuse the crap out of that suprise factor.
Yeah, I thought about Chi-Yu. I don't remember what else the screens setter should do for my team besides those. Well, it shouldn't be weak to rock is one thing(screens are mainly for a 4x rock weak, Frosmoth who I really like.) . I actually settled on, of all things, Corviknight, idk.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this.

I’ve been getting interested in trying BSS on cartridge. While I haven’t been actively playing this generation much I wanted to hear some insight about the differences between OU and BSS.

Looking at usage stats and sample teams it seems like bulky Dragonite is the most used mon. Why do you think that is the case when in OU Dragonite is must more based on offense alone.

In a similar vein I’m surprised booster energy mons aren’t on every team. It feels like booster energy would be even better in a shorter format where the mon in question is on the field with its boost longer.

Final bit, is Shed Tail not considered very strong in BSS? I’d of imagined it would be of a similar power level as in OU. Does the fact you only have 3 mons vs 6 make a big enough deal for this move to not be used very often? (I’d of thought cyclizar would be used more)

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)