SV OU Sun Team - Suggestions to Improve

Hi Everyone, I am new to competitive [current ELO - 1350]. I have always been excited to use weather teams, and would like some help to take this Sun team to the next level. Took the basics from what I know of the OU scene and the different roles, and made tweaks based on battle experience.

PokePaste: https://pokepast.es/febf516921b0905d

Team Members:

1. Torkoal:
Very classic sun setter. (Why can we not have a better Sun setter in OU. Feels like fodder every time I need to bring him in!). Tera water to ensure survivability if I need to bring him in several times during the game, either to setup Walking wake for the sweep or as a defensive sponge. EV'd in Special Defence to ensure I can eat hits from both ends of the defensive spectrum, get a surprise rocks or lava plume on opponents expecting to take me out. Lava plume for the higher burn chance and yawn to ensure safe switch ins.

2. Walking Wake:
The main man. The sweeper to clean up a weakened team, or to wall-break early. Choice specs for maximum damage, and no need for alternating between moves. Its mostly a toss-up between flamethrower and hydro steam anyways based on the nature of resists left and their HPs. EVd specifically to get a Speed boost in the sun, needed to outspeed all major threats like Dragapult, etc. Tera fairy if I need to resist a late-game Kingambit Sucker Punch (that thing is a monster) + other fair/dragon moves outside sun.

3. Heatran:
The other fire type mon needed to take advantage of the sun. Made him a Special Defence wall since he mostly is needed to switch in to these moves. Physical super effective moves like EQ, CC are all very easily switched out of or negated by Tera Grass. Added Lefties and Stealth rock for longetivity and as a back up rock setter to Torkoal. Lava Plume over Magma storm for accuracy + burn chances, and Solar Beam to surprise unsuspecting water types in the sun without the need to Tera grass. Flash fire is also handy for a fire immunity, since I dont have any bulky waters on this team to switch in. Earth power for fire types of Glimmora leads.

4. Hatterene:
My main answer to special threats and rock leads like Garchomp. Tried a calm mind set, but liked the option of healing my heavy hitters late game with healing wish (still have not mastered the timing of it due to Hatterene's slow speed). Mystical fire for SpA drops and good coverage, draining kiss + lefties for good recovery, and STAB Psychic. Tera Steel for defensive pivots and more likely hits from the physical side. Good counter to SpA mons, but feels like I've not found good use for it.

5. Rillaboom:
The glue to most of the pieces on this team. Choice band priority grassy glide hits like a truck, but being locked on this mon really makes opponent switches very easy. Has good defensive matchups against most of my other teammates' threats, and as a result find it hard to keep him alove for long. Tera Grass + grassy glide 2HKOs all mons without a resistance. And currenlty my only check to late game sucker punch Kingambit.

6. Great Tusk:
The mon I experimented the most with and made multiple changes. Currently, has Speed higher than Attack and Defense to outspeed most mons in the sun, as I felt my team was too slow if I made him too defensive with a max defence bulk up set. Good coverage with Knock off, Ice spinner and headlong rush (no EQ to get nerfed by Grassy terrain). Tera water to take some special flying/psychic hits from mons like Zapdos, LandoT, Slowking, etc. Another mon I feel like I'm under-utilizing and would like to know he can fit better on this team.

Teams I struggle against:
  • Setup Teams: Apart from Walking Wake in Sun, feels I have very few wallbreakers / struggling to get them on the field at the right time. With my opoonents setting up sword dances, bulk ups, calm minds, etc., feels like I struggle/ need to use too many pieces to dent them. Could be just inexperinece, but if there are team changes I can make for that, would be down
  • Galarian Slowking, Zapdos, Kingambit, LandoT - some common threats I feel like my team struggles to break
First time posting on RMT, so would really appreciate all the helpful advice any of you have to share. Thanks for reading and suggesting!

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, wellcome to smogon, you have crafted a nice team, mons like galarian slowking, zapdos, kingambit and lando-t they are all common counters to sun, but, fixing some details here and there WILL help you out

Big changes:

:walking wake: -------> :walking wake:

Normally I don't do set changes as BIG changes, but move those 12 hp and put them in SpA, and change tera fairy for tera water, this will ensure maximum power, words cannot describe the power boost

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Slowking-Galar: 271-321 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And this is a mon as bulky as galarian slowking, the rest of them get packed

:Heatran: -----> :Iron moth:

Since we made wake spa boosting instead of speed boosting, we need a new speed check, iron moth provides fire nuclear power while being pretty fast. Substitute will take advantage of switches, and tera grass energy ball in grassy terrain will sting, and if you can get a special attack boost from fiery dance (boosted by sun btw) the better

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball

small changes:

on rilla, take the hp and put it in speed, because you wanna be faster than some targets, which you can pound with wood hammer, and faster targets will get grassy glied

on hatterene, go with eject button over leftovers and nuzzle over mystical fire, this will ensure that you have a pivot option into something and that you can slow down a target that can then be exploited by wake or rillaboom

on great tusk, go with tera poison, this will save you from fairy, grass and fighting moves, and toxic, which can be a lifesaver considering things like iron valiant and rillaboom are everywhere, and don't forget to put all in speed, to have max speed possible

And there you have it, I hope you like these changes and improve the team, have a good day

Hey, wellcome to smogon, you have crafted a nice team, mons like galarian slowking, zapdos, kingambit and lando-t they are all common counters to sun, but, fixing some details here and there WILL help you out

Big changes:

:walking wake: -------> :walking wake:

Normally I don't do set changes as BIG changes, but move those 12 hp and put them in SpA, and change tera fairy for tera water, this will ensure maximum power, words cannot describe the power boost

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Slowking-Galar: 271-321 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And this is a mon as bulky as galarian slowking, the rest of them get packed

:Heatran: -----> :Iron moth:

Since we made wake spa boosting instead of speed boosting, we need a new speed check, iron moth provides fire nuclear power while being pretty fast. Substitute will take advantage of switches, and tera grass energy ball in grassy terrain will sting, and if you can get a special attack boost from fiery dance (boosted by sun btw) the better

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball

small changes:

on rilla, take the hp and put it in speed, because you wanna be faster than some targets, which you can pound with wood hammer, and faster targets will get grassy glied

on hatterene, go with eject button over leftovers and nuzzle over mystical fire, this will ensure that you have a pivot option into something and that you can slow down a target that can then be exploited by wake or rillaboom

on great tusk, go with tera poison, this will save you from fairy, grass and fighting moves, and toxic, which can be a lifesaver considering things like iron valiant and rillaboom are everywhere, and don't forget to put all in speed, to have max speed possible

And there you have it, I hope you like these changes and improve the team, have a good day
Thank you so much for the recommendations and the kind words.
The changes seem good, looks like the team has become more frail than before, will this be alright?

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Thank you so much for the recommendations and the kind words.
The changes seem good, looks like the team has become more frail than before, will this be alright?
Yes, it's a sun team, you're going on offensive pressure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)