OU Suicune

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

GP [1/1] - P Squared

[OVERVIEW]
  • Suicune returns for another generation of OU, leveraging solid defensive stats, an excellent boosting move in Calm Mind, and a great ability in Pressure to harass and threaten to sweep opposing teams.
  • With the new generation's power creep, Suicune is no longer the defensive presence it used to be.
  • Many new Pokemon that were introduced or buffed such as Tapu Fini, Toxapex, and Mantine prevent mono-attacking sets (Suicune's calling card in XY) from sweeping.
  • Nevertheless, Suicune still holds a small niche with its Substitute + Calm Mind set, where it can support its team by PP stalling opposing threats and spreading burns via Scald even in matchups where sweeping isn't an option.
[SET]
name: Substitute + Calm Mind
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Scald
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Substitute is critical to shield Suicune from status and allow it to PP stall more passive Pokemon.
  • Calm Mind allows Suicune to set up and sweep after it has PP stalled its checks.
  • Scald is Suicune's most useful STAB move; it has solid Base Power and its burn chance helps Suicune set up.
  • Protect gives Suicune additional turns of Leftovers recovery, boosting its longevity, while also helping it PP stall in conjunction with Substitute.
Set Details
========
  • 216 Speed EVs along with a Timid nature allow Suicune to outspeed everything up to maximum Speed base 80 Pokemon, especially Heatran.
  • 252 HP EVs give Suicune 404 HP, which means that its Substitutes will have 101 HP and therefore will never be broken by a single Seismic Toss.
  • The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense in order to give Suicune's Substitute the highest chance to survive Rotom-W's Volt Switch at +1 and also allow Suicune's Substitute to survive Amoonguss's Giga Drain at +1.
  • Pressure is Suicune's only ability but is important to PP stall more effectively.
  • Leftovers is mandatory, as Suicune has no recovery options that fit well on this set.
Usage Tips
========
  • Send Suicune in on Pokemon that can't threaten it and set up a Substitute.
  • Against most slower Pokemon, simply alternate between Substitute and Protect to PP stall any attacks they have that can hamper Suicune's ability to sweep.
  • Post-PP stall, set up Calm Minds and sweep with Scald.
  • Suicune needs to avoid status conditions and Knock Off by any means necessary, as by cutting into Suicune's longevity they severely hamper this set's ability to PP stall and/or sweep.
Team Options
========
  • Tapu Fini can weaken shared checks by means of Nature's Madness and Taunt while providing Misty Terrain to shield Suicune from status and a resistance to Knock Off; Suicune also appreciates Tapu Fini's Defogging abilities.
  • Alolan Marowak is immune to Electric and resists Grass, sets up Stealth Rock to help Suicune exploit the switches it forces, and can spread burns through Will-O-Wisp to help Suicune set up.
  • With its trapping set, Heatran can remove most of the bulky Water- and Grass-types Suicune hates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============
  • Suicune can use a Rest + Sleep Talk set with Calm Mind and maximum investment in HP and Defense. However, it struggles to do much without the safety of Substitute and is 3HKOed by many of the strong Pokemon in OU. This CroCune set also tends to be setup fodder while sleeping, as it needs many Calm Mind boosts to deal worthwhile damage with Scald.
  • Suicune has access to decent support moves such as Tailwind, Toxic, Roar, and Reflect, but it is generally outclassed as a support Pokemon.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Strong Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Xurkitree can deal large amounts of damage to Suicune even after a Calm Mind, and Suicune needs a lot of Calm Mind boosts to deal any adequate amount of damage in return. Faster Electric-types can use Volt Switch to weaken Suicune or break its Substitutes without taking any damage.
  • Amoonguss and Tangrowth can be PP stalled, but they are annoying for Suicune to KO due to Regenerator, and they waste a lot of Suicune's own PP in the process.
  • Bulky Water-types such as Toxapex and Tapu Fini can use Haze to get rid of Suicune's hard-earned Calm Mind boosts. Toxapex can wall Suicune endlessly with Regenerator and Recover, while Tapu Fini can Taunt Suicune and wear it down with Nature's Madness.
  • Chansey is too bulky for Suicune to break through even with 6 Calm Minds under its belt and is able to stall it out of Scalds.
  • Finally, Pokemon such as Mantine and Shedinja are immune to Suicune's STAB and therefore are able to wall it indefinitely. Mantine can Haze away Suicune's boosts while Shedinja can leverage its slower Baton Pass to prevent any of its teammates from taking damage.

Last edited:
Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation, 2/3

I sexually identify as an OUTL. Every since I was a little boy I dreamed of giving peasants infractions for shitposting. People say to me that a person being an OUTL is impossible and I'm fucking retarded but I don't care; I'm beautiful. I'm having a plastic suregon give me TDK's face. From now on I want you guys to call me "- OUTL" and respect my right to ban needlessly. If you can't accept me you're an OUTL-iphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

3/3, ready for GP.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/1
uh i guess tag me when the overview is done oops
[SET]
name: Substitute + Calm Mind
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Scald
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Substitute is critical to the crux of the set, shielding Suicune from status and allowing it to PP stall more passive Pokemon.
  • Calm Mind allows Suicune to set up and sweep after it has PP stalled its checks.
  • Scald is Suicune's most useful STAB move; it has solid Base Power and its burn chance helps Suicune set up.
  • Protect gives Suicune additional turns of Leftovers recovery, boosting its longevity, while also helping it PP stall in conjunction with Substitute.
Set Details
========
  • 216 Speed EVs along with a Timid nature allow Suicune to outspeed everything up to maximum Speed base 80 Pokemon, especially Heatran.
  • 252 HP EVs give Suicune 404 HP, which means that its Substitutes will have 101 HP and therefore will never be broken by a single Seismic Toss.
  • The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense in order to give Suicune's Substitute the highest chance to survive Rotom-W's Volt Switch at +1 and also allow Suicune's Substitute to survive Amoonguss's Giga Drain at +1.
  • Pressure is Suicune's only ability but is important to PP stall more effectively.
  • Leftovers is mandatory, as Suicune has no recovery options that fit well on this set.
Usage Tips
========
  • Send Suicune in on Pokemon that can't threaten it and set up a Substitute.
  • Against most slower Pokemon, simply alternate between Substitute and Protect to PP stall any attacks they have that can hamper Suicune's ability to sweep.
  • Post-PP stall, set up Calm Minds and sweep with Scald.
  • Suicune needs to avoid status conditions and Knock Off by any means necessary, as by cutting into Suicune's longevity they severely hamper this set's ability to PP stall and/or sweep.
Team Options
========
  • Tapu Fini can weaken shared checks by means of Nature's Madness and Taunt, (RC) while providing Misty Terrain to shield Suicune from status and a resistance to Knock Off; Suicune also appreciates Tapu Fini's Defogging abilities.
  • Alolan Marowak is immune to Electric and resists Grass, sets up Stealth Rock to help Suicune exploit abuse the switches it forces, and can spread burns through Will-O-Wisp to help Suicune set up.
  • With its trapping set, Heatran can remove most of the bulky Water- and Grass-types Suicune hates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============
  • Suicune can use a Rest + Sleep Talk set with Calm Mind, (RC) and maximum investment in HP and Defense. However, it struggles to do much without the safety of Substitute, (RC) and is 3HKOed by many of the strong Pokemon in OU. This CroCune set also tends to be setup fodder while sleeping, as it needs many Calm Mind boosts to deal worthwhile damage with Scald.
  • Suicune has access to decent support moves such as Tailwind, Toxic, Roar, and Reflect, but it is generally outclassed as a support Pokemon.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • Strong Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Xurkitree can deal large amounts of damage to Suicune even after a Calm Mind, and Suicune needs a lot of Calm Mind boosts to deal any adequate amount of damage in return. Faster Electric-types can use Volt Switch to weaken Suicune or break its Substitutes without taking any damage.
  • Amoonguss and Tangrowth can be PP stalled, but they are annoying for Suicune to KO due to Regenerator, and they waste a lot of Suicune's own PP in the process.
  • Bulky Water-types such as Toxapex and Tapu Fini can use Haze to get rid of Suicune's hard-earned Calm Mind boosts. Toxapex can wall Suicune endlessly with Regenerator and Recover, while Tapu Fini can Taunt Suicune and wear it down with Nature's Madness.
  • Chansey is too bulky for Suicune to break through even with 6 Calm Minds under its belt, (RC) and is able to stall it out of Scalds.
  • Finally, Pokemon such as Mantine and Shedinja are immune to Suicune's STAB, (RC) and therefore are able to wall it indefinitely. Mantine can Haze away Suicune's boosts while Shedinja can leverage its slower Baton Pass to prevent any of its teammates from taking damage.

[OVERVIEW]
  • With the new generation's power creep, Suicune is no longer the defensive presence it used to be. (periods after all these)
  • Many new Pokemon that were introduced or buffed such as Tapu Fini, Toxapex, and Mantine that prevent mono-attacking sets (Suicune's calling card in XY Gen 6) from sweeping.
  • Nevertheless, Suicune still holds a small niche with its Substitute + Calm Mind set, where it can support its team by PP stalling opposing threats and spreading burns via Scald even in matchups where sweeping isn't an option.

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Start the overview with the actual reason to use Suicune; if I'm building a team and I'm looking at Suicune, I don't care that it isn't as good as it was in previous gens. I want to know what it can do, which is SubCM PP stall etc. Hook grab attention interesting information first etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)