Battle Stadium Substitute Aegislash Bulky Offense

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi, this is the team I used to hit 2000 rating points on the cartridge ladder.

Teambuilding Process:

Initially, the team started off as a standard offensive goodstuffs team

First full iteration of the team and the team I used the most on the ladder. I've posted similar teams on the bazaar previously. I've had a lot of fun and good winrate with the Amoonguss + CB Urshifu synergy in the Armor Beginnings, and I planned on using this for quite a bit, eventually shifting to Vileplume for its improved ability to beat things in a heads up matchup. While Amoonguss is clearly better at pivoting in and cushioning opposing attacks, the rest of the team don't really work like that.

However this core was a bit weak to opposing Ninetales and Dracozolt. In order to fix this, I needed a Scarfer. I ended up putting Scarf on Diggersby, which hits a useful speed tier in the current metagame. I hit 1900 with this and I'm sure this is valid, I mean just look at the Pokemon there's no way that's not good.

I was having Problems with using Amoonguss on the higher ladders. There were a lot of random Substitute users that kept taking games off of me and that really blew. Especially defensive teams had all sorts of countermeasures because Spore -> CB urshifu free switch in -> click buttons was otherwise pretty unwinnable for them, and Urshifu isn't the only Pokemon that doesn't let players switch in comfortably, so it makes so much sense. After playing against the explosion of defensive teams, I switched to Sub 3 attacks Aegislash, a set that I have seen in OU play for being excellent in this matchup - it would often force in Toxapex there, but wait, people aren't using Toxapex right now, they're using Amoonguss instead, and they're all using Spore / Clear Smog / Giga Drain / Synthesis or Protect, and I always live Giga Drain with my Sub even in Blade forme.

I really liked this version of the team as well, Scarf goes on Rotom instead, which is quite good in the meta and helps Urshifu find right matchups for the hard hitters. Diggersby Gets the Sash back. However, I've realized that with a well played Aegislash I really don't need the help from CB Urshifu either, and tried a team with Aegislash, and 5 Pokemon that really push to the extremes on winning individual matchups with Azumarill over Rotom-H, which still stops AV setup from Ninetales, gives me priority, and doesn't lose momentum like locking into a non Volt Switch move with Rotom-H can do.

Final version.

Set Details:

Urshifu-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
Level: 50
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Counter
- Sucker Punch

Felt mandatory to put on teams if anything for its ability to cause team preview diversions with its 2 formes. Good at winning 1v1 matchups with Focus Sash and strong priority. Either a lot of Urshifu were dropping Counter for a move to hit Primarina with, or people just figured I was using the CB set? No idea how or why, but both are possible because otherwise I look pretty weak to cycle oriented teams. Either way, I switched to Counter and a lot of players just blew their Max turn 1 and died. Counter was more anticipated when I had it in the back, but in those situations it is still good at neutering Dynamax.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Sacred Sword

Substitute Aegislash was pretty good! It has the resistances to switch into things despite not having a ton of bulk investment or having King's Shield. Turns out speed creep was often good enough, as I would be able to outspeed most Clefable I faced on the ladder without going extremely into speed creep wars. I live a non boosted Bolt Beak from Dracozolt, which ofc means I live the Life Orb Max Lightning as well. While these are still not great matchup vs Dracozolt, putting it in range of a KO can be pretty important. Sacred Sword is to put damage on Chansey / Blissey without PP concerns and also owns Sub + Minimize Chansey / Blissey. Inspired by a Sub 3 attacks Aegislash set I've seen in OU tourgames.

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Scarf Diggersby outspeeds Dracozolt. I also survive a Airstream without any investment or Focus Sash, so a lot of situations I can just go hard Diggersby and save a Sack if necessary. The interesting part here is lack of U-turn, which doesnt make sense except it does if you look at my team. If they stay in on the U-turn I'm kind of fucked, so I am often just as better off going for a hard double switch and maximize my potential to win 1v1 matchups. Stone Edge and Gunk Shot does exactly that. Fire Punch last is OK, too, but I found Max Knuckle to be pretty good at letting it Dynamax for a more flexible gameplan.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Brick Break

Bunny #2. AV, Play Rough, Liquidation, Aqua Jet are all super standard it leaves me very little room to explain anything with this Pokemon. Azumarill especially with Assault Vest is good vs opposing Primarina and Charizard. On top of that, it's good vs Urshifu and a few other physical attackers, all great traits. Aqua Jet gives me strong priority to finish off sash users like Gengar. Brick Break is good at trolling Ninetales, not every Ninetales team I want to lead Diggersby (and often when I do, it's pretty telegraphed). I tried creeping but I don't think it ever came into play, 2/10 would not creep again.

Dracozolt @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 180 HP / 100 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Outrage
- Flamethrower
- Aerial Ace

My dedicated physical dynamaxer. This is actually a bit faster than other WP Dracozolt, so I can always Airstream on them, live and get a +2, and KO them. Against Life Orb you just die but those tend to have no bulk and Dracozolt isn't my main Dracozolt counter anyways, I just wanted a second way out in a pretty neutral matchup. It's the strongest Pokemon in the format for a reason. I outspeed Gengar at +1, in addition to Durant and Ninetales-A.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Meteor Beam

My dedicated special dynamaxer. It's really good at winning 1v1 matchups aside from against hard special walls like Blissey / Chansey, but Aegislash beats those cores more often than not. 4 attacks are pretty straightforward. Instead of Thunderbolt that hits Toxapex that is being severely underappreciated right now, I opted to hit things that were more common. Meteor Beam hits Charizard / Volcarona, while Solar Beam hits Water/ Grounds and Rhyperior. Fire Blast can also set sun in many situations for Solar Beam to not be a dead move after Dynamax ends.

Gameplay:

Refer to my (and photon's) post in the BSS Discussion Thread for basic understanding of how most teams work in BSS. I have no real cushions on this team that can switch into neutral Max moves, so I have to take advantage of type advantages to pivot into moves if I want to save sacks. Fortunately, all 6 of my Pokemon hit very hard and it's not easy to set up on them one way or another.

With no true cushion, I usually have to choose between "Dynamax First and win 2v2" win condition, or "Pressure into Dynamax" by lead with a Pokemon like Urshifu or Aegislash that I'm obviously not going to Max rightaway to pressure the opponent or chip them down, maybe force them to Dynamax, and switch in a Pokemon that has the type matchup, or bring in Counter Urshifu / AV Azumarill depending on special / physical, in which case they should come out on top more often than not. Truly cushioning the opponent's Dynamax is not really possible with the team. Counter Urshifu can come pretty close, sucker Punch to chip the next Pokemon, and Dynamax Dracozolt and Clefable can often easily win 1v2 against no Dynamax Pokemon. Sub Aegislash can work like a "cushion" if I switch into a slower Clefable, for example, but I don't think it's anything to rely on because I don't have room for King's Shield, unfortunately.

Rental Team and Pokepaste:

PokePaste: https://pokepast.es/b7f2da6a381e9801
EjL1U5GVgAAJESf.jpeg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)