SV OU SubCM Suicune + DD Burning Bulwark Gouging Fire

With the DLC2 releasing, a lot of new mons have been released, including some legendaries such as :suicune:. In the past, :suicune: was notorious for being a nasty set up mon with either Substitute + Calm Mind or Rest + Calm Mind to wall, stall, and dent opponents teams. As of right now, :suicune: is barely used and in this team I plan to bring back :suicune:'s former glory.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Tera Blast

The star of the team, I wanted to build around a SubCM :suicune: set, as I thought it would work best in this meta. With weak attackers against :suicune: such as :clefable:, :clodsire:, :corviknight:, :dondozo:, :gliscor:, :skarmory: before Iron Defense, :heatran:, :skeledirge:, :slowking-galar:, :torkoal:, :toxapex:, and :volcarona:; :suicune: can either set up on them or beside them, given certain circumstances. Substitute and Calm Mind are a given, :suicune: kept Scald, so I am using it to fish for burns rather than extra power Surf has, and I decided for Tera Blast with Tera Electric to help with :dondozo: and :toxapex:, two mons that can win the 1v1 versus :suicune:. Tera Blast is also a good neutral attacking move to go alongside Scald, for a potentially temporary Water/Normal coverage, which can be switched to Water/Electric coverage. Against Unaware :clodsire:, Scald + 30% burn chance can cut down on its HP extremely quickly, allowing :suicune: to beat it 1v1. Against Water Absorb :clodsire:, :suicune: can simply set up on it with Calm Mind and chip it down with regular Tera Blast (do NOT Tera Electric against a Water Absorb :clodsire:). 252 HP EVs are given to give it the magic 404 HP, allowing it to tank Seismic Toss from the likes of :blissey:. The speed EVs are to outspeed a:raging-bolt: trying to outspeed no speed :gliscor:, allowing :suicune: to have a better matchup against :raging-bolt: and using Substitute on :gliscor: before it can get a Toxic off. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Defense to help it tank physical attacks while it boosts its Special Defense.

I wanted a mon that could help :suicune: have more chances to set up and to check its Grass and Electric weakness. I felt like :rillaboom: was a great pick.

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn

:rillaboom: is an extrodinary member to any team, providing breaking power with :choice-band:, priority in Grassy Glide, and can help its teammates with Grassy Surge. :rillaboom: was picked to give :suicune: extra recovery due to Grassy Terrain and to help with its Grass and Electric weaknesses in a pinch. :rillaboom: also helps with Tera Electric :suicune: as Grassy Terrain weakens Earthquake by half, one of the most used moves into Electric type mons. Since Electric is only weak to Ground, this helps :suicune: even more. :choice-band::rillaboom: also can force some switches to happen, for example :corviknight: or :skarmory: can come in on a U-Turn: and :suicune: can come out and set up on them. Knock Off is chose as a coverage move to remove key items to help the game progress. Tera Grass gives :choice-band::rillaboom: extra power, confirming kills on weakened mons such as :dragapult:, :darkrai:, :meowscarada:, or :iron-valiant: in a pinch.

The team so far consists of a Grass type and a Water type. :gouging-fire: is a mon that completes the Fire Water Grass core and is excellent for this kind of team.

gouging.png

Gouging Fire @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 204 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Burning Bulwark
- Dragon Dance
- Heat Crash
- Earthquake

As mentioned before, :gouging-fire: helps make a good Fire Water Grass core for the team, and similar to :suicune: as it is a bulky set up sweeper that takes advantage of :rillaboom:'s Grassy Terrain. Rather than boosting its defenses :suicune: does with Calm Mind, :gouging-fire: boosts its Speed with Dragon Dance, to make it a speedy sweeper with enough boosts. Even though :gouging-fire: is a Fire type, I am opting for :leftovers: rather than :heavy-duty-boots: to take full advantage of :rillaboom:'s Grassy Terrain and to make up for the lack of Morning Sun. Burning Bulwark is an amazing move on this kind of build, providing protection to allow itself to get Leftovers + Grassy Terrain while also punishing physical attackers that want to try to kill it such as :kingambit: and :dragonite: by burning them on contact. Because of this, I am opting to make Gouging Fire more specially defensive, due to it not being able to raise its defenses like :suicune: does, making up for lack of physical bulk with Burning Bulwark, and making it so it checks mons such as :hatterene:, :iron valiant:, and :primarina: better. Heat Crash is preferred over Flare Blitz due to lack of recoil damage.

Due to my choice of running :heavy-duty-boots: over :leftovers: on :gouging-fire:, the fact that :suicune:, :rillaboom:, and :gouging-fire: have trouble with :dragonite:, and the lack of a hazard setter so far, :great-tusk: seemed like the absolute best choice.

greattusk.png

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

:great-tusk: is as pasteable as ever, and for good reason. With hazards with Stealth Rock, hazrard removal with Rapid Spin, and being able to check :dragonite: and :kingambit:, :great-tusk: is a great fit for this team. Headlong Rush is ran over Earthquake due to :rillaboom:'s Grassy Terrain weakening it. Ice Spinner is run over Knock Off to properly check and weaken :dragonite: to help :suicune:, :rillaboom:, and :gouging-fire:. Ice Spinner also helps break a :air-balloon: on :gholdengo:, although Knock Off is better. :heavy-duty-boots: is ran over :leftovers: because since :great-tusk: is the main hazard removal, it does not want to keep switching in on Spikes. Grassy Terrain from :rillaboom: provides :great-tusk: with :leftovers: like recovery as well. The Speed EVs are to outspeed mons that choose to try to speed creep 220, with :great-tusk: hitting 221. Tera Steel provides :great-tusk: to help with Acrobatics :roaring-moon: while taking half damage from its super effective Earthquake, makes the :weavile: matchup better, and does better against a Tera Normal Extreme Speed :dragonite:

What team needs is proper speed control, and with weaknesses all around with no resists such as Dragon, Psychic, Fairy, Fighting, Flying, Normal, Ice, and Rock; :choice-scarf::gholdengo: was a perfect pick.

ghold.png

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Recover
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball

:gholdengo: is a great mon, being flexible in what it does and having many resists. :choice-scarf::gholdengo: helps with speed control, outspeeding faster mons that threaten it such as :meowscarada:, :weavile:, and :dragapult:. Trick is a great move on :choice-scarf::gholdengo: as it can cripple threats that the team might have trouble breaking. Make It Rain and Shadow Ball are givens, but Recover is chose for its ability to reliably recover HP, something the entire team relies on :rillaboom:'s Grassy Terrain and :leftovers:. Tera Flying is chose to get rid of its Ground weakness, even though Grassy Terrain helps with it.

This team is almost rounded off, however I needed both a Ghost and Dark resist and a way to reliably get teammates back up to full in a pinch. I also needed a mon that can soft check :choice-specs::kyurem: to see what move it opts for. An out of left field pick, I chose :umbreon: as the last mon on this team.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Mud-Slap

You noticed the fourth move haven't you. I will explain my choice in a bit, but for right now I chose :umbreon: as a fantastic special wall that can Wish pass onto teammates such as :suicune: and :gouging-fire: while being tanky enough to scout what move mons such as :Kyurem: and :Walking-Wake: are going for. Wish + Protect is given to have :umbreon: have the best chance of reliably healing its self, and Foul Play to punish physical set up mons such as :roaring-moon:, dragonite:, and :weavile:. Mud-Slap is a horrible cheesy move that fits best over moves such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Yawn (due to two mons dedicated to burning). Mud-Slap has a 100% chance to lower the opponents accuracy (100% legal too), mainly making the matchup against Tera Water Calm Mind :hatterene: better, but can make the matchup against :Volcarona: better by lowering its accuracy. Super effective damage against :Heatran: too! Jokes aside, the defense investment is used to guarentee survive a +2 Triple Axel from :weavile: from full while hitting it with Foul Play. Tera Steel is to make the :Kyurem: and :weavile: matchup even better.

PROBLEMS

While testing, I noticed problems that I would like to address.

kingambit.png

Even though Great Tusk is on the team to help with :kingambit:, depending on the set it runs it can be a problem. Specifically Tera Flying, bulky :leftovers: :kingambit: can set a Swords Dance on the :great-tusk: switch and then Tera Flying to take near nothing from Ice Spinner.

greattusk.png

As mentioned before, :rillaboom:'s Grassy Terrain helps lessen Earthquake damage for the team, as :Rillaboom: is the only ground resist. However, Headlong Rush is not affected by this, meaning :great-tusk: can dent the team if it so pleases.

:heavy-duty-boots::zamazenta: is not that much of a problem, but Substitute Iron Defense sets are a problem, as :Gholdengo: is the most reliable check to it. If it Substitutes on the switch, :gholdengo: cannot Trick it and will eventually die to Crunch.

Thank you all for the read! If anyone has feedback or changes they think would be better for the team, please let me know!
https://pokepast.es/319ebb5cdf493eba

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)