SM OU Straight Outta Kanto (Peaked 2052, #3)

Introduction:

Hello everybody, Bit here, showcasing a team I've been using to meme the OU ladder for what seems like forever now. Before I started using this team, I'd never been much of an OU player, having occasionally given it a shot using simple teams I could steal from Youtube, but never really getting into it. I'd played Monotype throughout most of my Showdown career, so I couldn't seem to grasp a metagame in which my Pokemon selection wasn't limited by typing. Which is why I had the stupid brilliant idea of seeing what I could do if I was limited in my Pokemon selection! Thus, the idea behind this team was born. How good of a team could I make if I limited myself to a single region? How far could I push it?

Despite the fact that my first Pokemon game was Diamond, I thought it would be more practical to try to make a Kanto team first, if only because it's the region with the highest number of native Pokemon that has multiple Mega options to choose from (Unova has basically no megas rip). Everything that happened afterwards just kinda spiraled from there.

I've always been a big fan of F/W/G cores, so I decided to go for the strongest grass option I had: Venusaur in sunlight. To compliment him, I decided that my Sun setter and mega option would be Mega Charizard Y, which provides Venusaur with sunlight and also massive wallbreaking power on anything not named Chansey or Toxapex.

Originally I decided that bulky Starmie would be the last member of the F/W/G core, as it provided me with a valuable psychic resist against the likes of Tapu Lele and reliable spinning against the dreaded Heatran thanks to natural cure healing off Toxics. It was also a good switchin to toxapex lacking Knock Off.

With three special attackers on the team, I decided that I needed fire power in order to break through the likes of Chansey, Tyranitar and specially defensive Toxapex. In order to do this, I chose to use Flame Orb Guts Machamp, which allowed me to switch into Scalds, Toxics and the like with little fear beyond being worn down.

Since I knew I'd be building a team around Kanto pokemon, I quickly realized that Alakazam, the Lati twins and practically every other psychic type were going to be huge issues for my team. Because of this, I decided to revive a set from all the way back in BW, Banded Pursuit Snorlax. This allowed me to OHKO offensive mega latios if it tried to switch after rocks and weaken Mega Latias into fire blast range from Charizard. It also allowed me to trap Mega Alakazam outside of Psychic Terrain.

Finally, knowing that I lacked an Electric inmunity and that that wasn't going to fly in the Koko infested OU metagame, I decided to use the sturdiest Ground type Kanto has access to: Eviolite Rhydon. Given the right investment, Rhydon is able to tank any of Koko's attacks not named Grass Knot and proceed to setup Stealth Rocks, weakening the opponent's team for Venusaur to sweep in the late game.

Unfortunately, I found my team to be too weak to the likes of Garchomp and Tapu Koko + Hawlucha, so I decided to switch Starmie for Blastoise as a sturdier spinner that could handle Hawlucha and switch Machamp for Alakazam in order to provide me with better speed control and a way of threatening out the likes of Mega Medicham and Garchomp which otherwise gave me lots of issues.

The Team:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam / Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Mega Charizard-Y. Probably the single most important Pokemon for the team and the reason I managed to take it as far as I did. This Pokemon claims lives every time it hits the field if the opponent does not have one of Chansey, Toxapex or a Lati. Fire Blast is the main move, and the most spammable, being powerful enough to 2HKO even resists like Garchomp. Some would argue for Flamethrower, but on a team as momentum-reliant as this one, not being able to OHKO defensive Landorus-T is not an option. Solar Beam is the move I most commonly ran, as it OHKOs pokemon that would otherwise check it like Gastrodon. Air Slash on the other hand is a more recent option, hitting Sp. def Kommo-o for a clean 2HKO. Focus Blast is necessary in order to 1HKO non AV T-tars and 2HKO Sp. def Heatran, which is essential for Venusaur in the late game. Roost is needed in order to be able to switchin to threats such as Scarf Kartana and be able to roost off it's Knock Off damage.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian in Sun: 378-445 (98.9 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-Black in Sun: 382-450 (97.6 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja in Sun: 207-245 (72.6 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 179-211 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o in Sun: 150-177 (51.3 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Sun: 343-405 (94.7 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 496-588 (116.7 - 138.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 348-412 (90.8 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 290-342 (89.7 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Blastoise @ Leftovers

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Rapid Spin

Blastoise is the team's rapid spinner, and as such it has an incredibly important role. Keeping rocks off the field is the only way for this team to function, as Charizard-Y being healthy is essential in order to keep up sunlight and break through the opponent's team. Despite the seemingly simple investment, Blastoise is deceptively fast, outspeeding most Mega Mawile's who don't go for max speed investment naturally, allowing it to fire off potentially crippling Scalds. Ice Beam is mostly there for the likes of Garchomp, who otherwise causes this team a lot of issues since I lack a good switchin to it. Roar is mandatory as a way to check the dreaded Hawlucha. With defensive investment, Blastoise is able to switchin to Hawlucha as it SD's or HJK's and force it out with Roar, allowing the rest of the team to pick it off later. It also helps against Sub Mega Gyarados, which can also cause the team problems. Rapid Spin gets rid of Stealth Rocks, Spikes and sometimes Leech Seed from Celesteela.

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 53-63 (14.6 - 17.4%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 255-301 (70.4 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 159-187 (43.9 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 265-313 (73.2 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 282-332 (77.9 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Blastoise Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 260-308 (72.8 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Venusaur @ Grassium Z

Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Growth

Venusaur is the team's main late-game sweeper and revenge killer. By utilizing Chlorophyll and a Timid nature, Venusaur is able to outspeed the likes of Scarf Kartana and Scarf Greninja, both of which are very important threats to watch out for. Grassium Z Solar Beam is a nuke, allowing +2 Venusaur to muscle through the likes of Sp. Def Toxapex, Chansey and offensive Bulletproof Kommo-o after a little chip damage. It also allows Venusaur to OHKO Mega Medicham and Lopunny without boosts, scaring them out. Sludge Bomb is the main stab, hitting Zapdos, the Latis and any fairy type very hard after a Growth. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferrothorn and Kartana, who are both difficult for the rest of the team to deal with. It also deals valuable chip damage on AV Magearna for Alakazam to win in the late game. Growth is used in order to boost Venusaur's power under sunlight, although it can come in handy in a few end-game scenarios vs CM Suicune and Clefable.

252 SpA Venusaur Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 267-315 (98.5 - 116.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Venusaur Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 297-349 (113.7 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Venusaur Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 289-342 (95 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 SpA Venusaur Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 247-291 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+4 252 SpA Venusaur Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 492-579 (69.9 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 268-316 (69.9 - 82.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+4 252 SpA Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 234-276 (33.2 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Life Orb Alakazam is an extremely powerful Pokemon, hitting harder than even it's Mega Evolution. In this team it has the role of switching into Toxapex and helping Charizard wallbreak for Venusaur in the late-game through their shared checks (Heatran, Tyranitar, Chansey, Bulky Torn). Psychic is the main STAB move and it utilized to scare out the likes of Mega Venusaur, Toxapex or even the rare Keldeo. It is also extremely powerful, being able to OHKO Pinsir, Tapu Koko and Mega Medicham after just one round of Stealth Rocks. Focus Blast is run to hit everything that wants to take a Psychic, such as Heatran, Tyranitar and Ferrothorn while also dealing around 30% to Chansey, pressuring it to heal in order to switch into Alakazam next time it comes in. Shadow Ball is run in order to hit all the things trying to keep Tapu Lele in check such as Sp. def Jirachi, AV Reuniclus and other Leles. Hidden Power Ice is my main tool of revenge killing Garchomp and offensive non-scarf Landorus T. It is also useful in one-shotting most Gliscors who try to come in on Focus Blast or Shadow Ball and tank a Psychic on the following turn.

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 221-265 (72.6 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 20 HP / 20 SpD Tapu Koko: 243-289 (84.9 - 101%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 214-253 (78.9 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 252-299 (86.3 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 188+ SpD Jirachi: 177-211 (43.9 - 52.3%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 400-473 (112 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 400-473 (104.4 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 333-393 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Heatran: 257-304 (66.5 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Snorlax @ Choice Band

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Self-Destruct / Earthquake

The main physical wallbreaker and trapper for the team, Snorlax is only second to Charizard-Y in terms of overall importance to the teams' success. It's main role is being a hard-hitting damage sponge, checking important threats such as pre-Ash Greninja and Magma Storm Heatran and forcing them out while making massive holes in the opponent's team. Adamant Choice Banded Return is an extremely spammable move with very high destructive power, being able to 2HKO Scarf Landorus-T on the switchin and deal anywhere between 48-54% to Chansey, eventually stalling it out of Soft-Boiled PP should Snorlax not be toxiced. Pursuit is the trapping move that makes Snorlax shine, and the team's main way of dealing with Mega Alakazam, Mega Lati@s and chipping down Chansey as it switches out. Fire Punch is the coverage move chosen, allowing Snorlax to destroy Ferrothorn and Celesteela under sunlight and OHKO Shuca Berry Magearna expecting Earthquake. Self-Destruct is the main move on the 4th Slot, allowing a once-per-game nuke that destroys anything in it's path. In times of desperate need it is the team's final gambit against Chansey and it also serves very well as bait for the likes of Kommo-o to come in and try and z move Snorlax just to get obliterated by the explosion. Thick Fat is utilized in order to deal with threats like Volcarona, Heatran and other fire types that try to take advantage of my own sunlight. The speed investment is enough to outspeed most Toxapex and Reuniclus who are 2HKO'd by Return.

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 322-381 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 0 HP / 68 Def Landorus-Therian: 247-292 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 169-199 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Reuniclus: 220-259 (51.8 - 61%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios-Mega: 256-302 (85 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (80 BP)
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 218-258 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (80 BP)
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 372-440 (105.6 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 226-268 (56.9 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Self-Destruct vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 633-745 (90 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Self-Destruct vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 262-310 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Rhydon @ Eviolite

Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic / Roar

Rhydon is the team's Electric inmunity and Stealth Rock setter, being able to check the likes of Tornadus-T and Tapu Koko consistently throughout the game while also keeping dangerous Pokemon like Charizard-X and TR Magearna from sweeping the team. Stealth Rocks is pretty obvious, being the team's main way of dealing chip damage to the likes of Heatran and Tornadus to put them in range of Alakazam and Charizard-Y's powerful attacks. Earthquake is a powerful STAB move, dealing massive damage to Toxapex and Magearna and 2HKOing the likes of Mega Tyranitar. Rock Slide is used in order to hit Zapdos and Tornadus, who are both effectively checked by Rhydon unless Torn is z focus blast, and then prevent them from defogging. Toxic is the recommended move as it hits many of Rhydon's common switchins, such as Landorus-T, Rotom-W and Sp. Def Kommo-o. Roar, on the other hand, can be used to switchin to a Koko's U-turn and then inmediatly force out Hawlucha as it SD's, relieving some of the pressure off of Blastoise.

0 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 54-64 (13 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 135-159 (32.6 - 38.4%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 188-222 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO

16+ Atk Rhydon Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 270-320 (74.5 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 342-404 (121.7 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 210-248 (69 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 276-326 (92.9 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Mega Fighting Types:

To put it bluntly, Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny obliterate this team. The main answer to them is either Blastoise Scald Burning on a greedy HJK, Alakazam forcing out Medicham, a Max HP Charizard forcing out Lopunny or Venusaur in sun threatening to Z both. Beyond this, these Pokemon can repeatedly come in and get a kill every single time they touch the battlefield. If it's PuP Lopunny it's even worse, as I have nothing to revenge kill it besides Venusaur in sun, meaning I could potentially have to sack 3 pokemon just to force it out. Given the limitations I build the team with, the only solution to this would be to use something like a Slowbro, but I would have to change the entire team in order to do so.

Rain:

As one might expect from a team that relies on Sun, Rain is an issue for this team to deal with. With Rocks up, I lack any real switchin to Mega Swampert's Earthquake or Specs Gren's Hydro Pump. Usually it boils down to a weather war in which if I can manage to beat their Steel (be it Ferrothorn or Magearna) and get my rocks up, I can pressure Pelipper and eventually beat it, but if my opponent manages to keep rocks on my side of the field I end up struggling heavily against their Rain boosted attacks.

Psy Spam:

As one might expect from a team with no Dark type, handling teams that use Mega Alakazam + Psychic terrain or Mega Medicham + Psychic terrain is quite difficult. Tapu Lele effectively gets a kill whenever it comes in, although it is important to note that it loses 1v1 against Mega Charizard Y, provided you can land a Fire Blast. Venusaur too is able to check it as long as it has taken a little prior damage using Sludge Bomb. Mega Alakazam can be very threatening in Psychic Terrain, particularly if it has Psyshock, but Snorlax can tank any one hit and force it out, which forces a 50/50 between Return and Pursuit, since Pursuit will not OHKO if Alakazam does not switch.

Powerful SD Steel Types:

Be it SD, Scarf or Band, Kartana is always a threat the team has to keep in mind. Normalium Z sets destroy Charizard-Y and Venusaur, so caution must be taken when scouting the Kartana's set. With rocks up, +1 Knock Off does manage to KO Charizard-Y, so it's important to either keep rocks off or immediately sack after setting sun up so that Venusaur can force Kartana out. Timid Kartana is also a threat to keep in mind, as Alakazam is not able to revenge kill it after it has gotten a kill. Mawile, on the other hand, is extremely dangerous at +2 as it's able to OHKO the entire team besides a max HP Rhydon, so it is very important to not give it free setup opportunities and to keep in mind that if it does happen to get to +2, Blastoise is still able to Roar it out if it attempts to Sucker Punch to avoid Scald.

Chansey:

While the team does have some ways of defeating Chansey, such as pressuring it with CB Snorlax and breaking throught it using Z Bloom Doom Venusaur, it is also true that Chansey can effectively wall each of the other 4 members and as such it is very important that when dealing with a Chansey one be extremely careful with the few answers available to it.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 9.57.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 8.59.26 PM.png

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Rapid Spin

Venusaur @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Growth

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Self-Destruct

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Conclusion:

While the main purpose of building this team was always to test my limits, I honestly way overshot my initial expectations. Initially, the goal was to reach the 1750s, so as to appear on the top 500 on the ladder, which in itself took alot of struggling. But after reaching that goal, the next milestone is always just a step away. 1800 was just 50 points, and 1900 was only 100 points away from that. Of course, getting from one milestone to the next took a long time, months of trial and error until I could learn just that little bit more I needed to progress. Even now I'm thinking to myself, #1 is just 60 points away... But the generation is ending, so I decided that I'd make the RMT I'd been telling myself I'd make once I reached 2000, which I only managed to do today on the last day. Overall, I have to say this team is extremely fun for me to play, even if it is very very difficult to use successfully.

s/o to all the goons who supported me, you know who you are.

Peace!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)