Monotype Still Over It (3k Post)

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

The Team at a Glance
:ss/weavile::ss/mandibuzz::ss/tyranitar::ss/hydreigon::ss/zarude::ss/drapion:
{Click on the sprites for the Pokepaste}

To celebrate my 3000th post on Smogon I have decided to post my favorite SS team I built during MWP. The goal behind this team was to be able to target and beat highly spammed types such as Steel, Water, Dual Fairy Psychic, Flying, Ground, and opposing Dark teams. Tyranitar and Mandibuzz mainly set and clear hazards, to tank attacks, and slowly wear down offensive Pokemon. Drapion's main use is Toxic Spikes, while also being able to take on threats such as Tapu Lele and Hatterene for the team. Weavile and Hydreigon break through opposing walls and slower offensive Pokemon, then allowing Zarude to clean late-game. Overall, I would describe this team as a fun anti-meta Bulky Offense, with more than enough setup and walls for any player to pilot it in battle!
In-Depth Descriptions
No Love
:ss/weavile:

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Adamant
Moves: Swords Dance / Triple Axel / Knock Off / Ice Shard

Weavile is an amazing Swords Dance sweeper cleaning through its weaknesses with ease and poses major problems to types without proper resistances. Swords Dance allows Triple Axel to 2HKO Pokemon such as Celesteela and Corviknight, while OHKOing Pokemon such as Tapu Lele and Mandibuzz. Knock Off can be used to remove items such as Porygon2's Eviolite or Celesteela's Leftovers, while also OHKOing threats such as Galarian Slowking. Ice Shard can pick off faster threats such as Choice Scarf Galarian Zapdos, Scale Shot Garchomp, and Zarude.

Reciprocate
:ss/mandibuzz:
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe | Bold
Moves: Foul Play / Roost / Defog / Taunt

Mandibuzz has been a solid staple to the type for generations, pretty much carrying the same role as a physically defensive Defog user. Foul Play allows it to check physical setup such as Garchomp, Cinderace, and Landorus-T. Roost allows it to keep its longevity as a Defog user and blanket physical wall. Taunt allows Mandibuzz to prevent Iron Defense Corviknight from becoming a menace to the team, while also preventing slower status and hazards from the likes of Toxapex and Swampert.
Broken Promises
:ss/tyranitar:

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe | Careful
Moves: Stealth Rock / Rock Blast / Earthquake / Protect

Tyranitar is the first of two special walls for the team, checking most special attackers in the game such as Choice Scarf Tapu Lele locked into Moonblast, Tapu Koko, Latios, Galarian Moltres, and Heatran. Rock Blast allows Tyranitar to more effectively target Substitute based setup such as Kyurem and Galarian Moltres. Earthquake allows Tyranitar to break Specially Defensive Heatran with ease. Protect grants Tyranitar the ability to scout attacks and switch appropriately to a teammate, while also receiving Leftovers recovery.

Ex For a Reason
:ss/hydreigon:
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Moves: Nasty Plot / Dark Pulse / Fire Blast / Earth Power

Nasty Plot Hydreigon is such a useful breaker for the team. This set was inspired because breaking Steel and Poison's defensive cores can be a nightmare. Fire Blast is used to target a majority of Steel-types as well as Pokemon such as Amoonguss. Earth Power allows it to break Specially Defensive Heatran and Toxapex with haste. Hydreigon is best used as a mid/late-game breaker.
Unloyal
:ss/zarude:
/

Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly
Moves: Power Whip / Darkest Lariat / Close Combat / U-turn

Zarude can either hold Choice Scarf or Choice Band. Choice Scarf allows it to be a valuable asset against Electric teams, outpacing the likes of Zarude and Tapu Koko, while being a phenomenal cleaner against types like Ice-, Water-, and Ground. U-turn allows the team to regain some momentum. Power Whip and Close Combat are probably the most clicked offensive attacks for damage output with the most targets such as Urshifu-R and Kyurem. Choice Band can be used to break types such as Water allowing it to 2HKO the entire type.

Toxic
:ss/drapion:
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe | Careful
Moves: Swords Dance / Poison Jab / Knock Off / Toxic Spikes

Drapion is the second specially defensive wall on the team and is invaluable alongside Hydreigon in breaking Fairy teams. Swords Dance allows Drapion to more readily break Hatterene, which otherwise is a menace to Dark teams. Poison Jab can effectively beat Hatterene, while also being able to spread Poison to Levitating/Flying-type Pokemon. Toxic Spikes is an essential move that allows the team to collectively collect chip damage against the foe. 32 Speed EVs allows Drapion to outpace base 110s if Choice Scarf is tricked onto it. The use of Drapion was inspired by the use of Double Fairy Psychic teams towards the beginning of MWP.​

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1471947486 Evigaro vs Floss's Flying (MWP)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1479598866 Me vs Jonfilch's Dark (MWP)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1487683420 Froalain vs Hyperspace's Psychic (MWP)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1487685087 Cielau vs Elyoss's Psychic (French Tour)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1488580935 Cielau vs Team Charm's Flying (Seasonals)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1494253815 vs Galarian Slowking Poison (Seasonals)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1494252416 vs Galarian Weezing Poison (Seasonals)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1495546192 vs Ground
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1495548114 vs Dragon
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1495550187 vs Grass

Threat List
:tapu-lele::hatterene:
These two are especially annoying for Dark teams, even though this core only appears on Psychic it can give the team a lot of headaches. Specially Defensive Swords Dance Drapion can handle them, however, they still put a lot of pressure on it. Luckily if you lay Toxic Spikes down, they are much easier to take down.

:tapu-koko::zeraora:
Similar to the core above, these two between Tapu Koko's Dazzling Gleam and Zeraora's Plasma Fists+Close Combat the team has trouble dealing with them. Tyranitar can handle Tapu Koko if it is at full health, while Mandibuzz can switch into Choice Band Close Combat from Zeraora. Toxic Spikes is a great way to wear them down, then allowing Choice Scarf Zarude and Weavile to have a chance to win late-game.

:urshifu::keldeo::tapu-fini:
Water teams with a Fighting-type + Tapu Fini are especially annoying to deal with. You need to preserve Drapion + Tyranitar + Mandibuzz to tank their attacks, play around with the typical inclusion of Toxapex on those teams, then you can pull off a sweep with Choice Scarf Zarude. But all of these Pokemon can easily beat the team if you are not careful and let the wrong Pokemon get weakened or KOed. Bulk Up Urshifu-R with Drain Punch can 6-0 the team as well.

:cinderace::volcarona:
Cinderace + Volcarona are a different type of nasty, both of them have the potential to 6-0 the team. Cinderace can be managed by Mandibuzz, while Tyranitar needs to be kept healthy to tank Bug Buzz from Volcarona. Without those Pokemon healthy they can both easily set up and just start clicking buttons. Luckily, Choice Scarf Zarude can take them both out with prior chip, even if they have one boost.

:toxapex::weezing-galar::nihilego:
This core is very annoying, however Hydreigon can beat the defensive core of Poison if Galarian Weezing is chipped enough. Nihilego can be beat by different members of the team such as Tyranitar and Weavile, depending on its set. This matchup requires patience, if you move to early you can very easily lose to the core. Exception is if Toxapex has fainted and Nihilego/Galarian Weezing are safely in Weavile's range.

Want to thank everyone I tagged in this part of the post for genuinely making this site enjoyable over the years!

Weaviles
Ticken EviGaro Fraolain Sae Acey 2B Ashbala Cielau Clementine Ren
Thanks for being a great team and prepping, even when I was burnt out. Yall are all amazing and I hope we can team up when I feel like playing this game more!

RMT
TPP Gross Sweep Twilight vivalospride ShuckleDeath Abhi ausma ironwater Fc yuki Level 51 Yellow Paint Solerme Geysers adem avarice Clone
All of you are so handsome/beautiful, I appreciate all of your contributions to RMT. Continue rating teams and being goats!

Monotype
Eien Zap Kev Torkool mushamu roxiee Bondie Jolly Togekiss ^-^ Attribute DoW Fylkir Pudin Mateeus Meta Conflux Perish Song Chaitanya DugZa Floss Tyke Starfox. Zar Splash Ridley Hyperspace12 Azelea Sabella Isza Brisked crashy dahli Felines Chakra Harpp Jyph K3ppr Leru LuckyPiper Maki Prosaic Ssalbap Trichotomy adjustments Havens Rotten Namranan Wincon Seo. yedla Vodoom diegoblu
All of you have made this tier more enjoyable to play and has been fun getting to know yall.

Trainer Academy
MrAldo ErPeris Waves Rabia Tysonslayer Pais Coolcodename Crunchman Estarossa Lasen Ox the Fox DC Alolan Corviknight OU Nalorium omi Corthius S1nn0hC0nfirm3d The Strap
After Monotype this is for sure the best room on PS, all of you are to such a great job running the room and helping out. Shoutouts to the people that only post Monotype teams when I'm afk or asleep.

Other Lads
zee Estronic Sectonia StarBlim Aberforth Faded cy Ron Ewin ez H.M.N.I.P jonfilch Rage TJ airfare gorex Alpha Rabbit StitChuu Kris Electrolyte Brandon London13 Excal Catalystic Clouds Avery Jho Yami Kaede TylerTheMilotic yogi Yuichi Leafium Z martinvtran Xiri martha keys cuzzie
Thanks for making a discord or private room more entertaining to be in, or just fun to talk to in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)