STAB STABmons

Darkrai has been unbanned from STABmons!

With Darkrai's recent stint in OU, the STABmons council has unanimously decided to unban it to see it's effect on the metagame. We will be watching closely to see if it is in any way overwhelming but we doubt that due to the metagame having many good dark resists.

Tagging dhelmise for implementation, thanks as always!
Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wicked Blow
- Wicked Torque
- Poison Jab
It's so over

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
+
+
+
63vo59n59a641.gif
=

Pecharunt is now banned from STABmons!

With a near unanimous vote (besides me who was on the fence and voted do not ban as a result) Pecharunt is now banned from STABmons. Reasons? Simple, the above image really summarizes it but I will rephrase it, Rage Fist, a move that grows in power upon taking hits, a ghost type (really good typing, that happens to have good defenses and setup, plus recover, is broken as a result and thus jailed (banned)!

Tagging dhelmise for implementation.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don’t actually play the tier but i was a bit curious what does peacharunt do that skeledirge doesn’t besides being immune to poison abd gave 5 more attack?
Really bulky is the only thing i can think of, and thats honestly a very useful point for it. 5 extra attack, (speed advantage) and Tox immunity probably go along way as well

I don’t actually play the tier but i was a bit curious what does peacharunt do that skeledirge doesn’t besides being immune to poison abd gave 5 more attack?
Pecharunt @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Puppeteer
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Rage Fist
- Recover
- Toxic/Barb Barrage/Baneful Bunker/Mortal Spin/Noxious Torque/Corrosive Gas

Can Skeledirge do a set like this one? It can't.

Pecha has a good deal more physical bulk, no weakness to water (which I've heard is very strong in this meta), and immunity to poison which is pretty easily applied by pex. The poison immunity might be the most important part because it means you can switch into mortal spins and gain rage fist stacks without worrying about poison. Skeledirge has an immunity to burn which is nice but not as important as poison immunity, though it has unaware going for it which is pretty good
+ Skeledirge doesn't have coil like pecha
+ Pecha doesn't rely on heavy duty boots

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Late Winter-Early Spring Cursory STABmons Survey

Over a week has passed and thus this cursory survey has served it's purpose. I created with the intention of being simple gauging various topics with the mindset of creating a even bigger one not that far into the future. The next one will be more comprehensive and could very lead to a total meta shakeup with topics including moves, and most impact-fully Tera. Without further ado, the results!

Overall the metagame hasn't shifted much positively or negatively compared to the last poll a year ago, which is solid as far as I am concerned. There are a few votes on the lower spectrum which will hopefully be addressed over time as their concerns are fair.

Solid once again, but there is definite room for improvement as no one voted anything beyond an 8 and this may come down to a variety of factors that were brought up in the survey ranging from moves to tera, and the Pokemon themselves.

Divisive to say the least, not enough support for ban or suspect from my perspective but similarly not enough support for it sticking around to dismiss it. We may vote on it at some point but for now Wicked Blow will remain firmly on the radar to see how the metagame both adapts to it's presence or abuses it.

Echoing the previous entry, there is a bit more ambiguity and bias towards Ogerpon-Wellspring being broken, likely stemming the various attributes it brings to the table including it's passive damage boost due to the mask, defensive utility against fellow waters, difficulty walling due to crit moves and access to a wide range of moves due to it's shared access across forms. We will probably be voting on this in the future so watch out for any changes to the status quo.

This polling option was included simply due to the explosive increase in popularity seen in Greninja with the release of Wicked Blow from it's banned state and it was decisively voted as not broken.

From this result we can definitely see there is a lot of indecision or maybe better put, a lack of exploration in regards to Kyurem as many can recognize that in theory it is a monster both physically, specially and mixed but many have yet to see whether it is actually broken and thus the massive 50 undecided vote percentage. Hopefully come the next poll, if it isn't voted on by the council, we can get a more clear picture of whether the community considers it fine or busted.

Finally I asked the community what they consider to be problematic and came back with a variety of responses which are as follows:

Moves:
  • Wicked Blow
  • Astral Barrage
  • Rage Fist (not sure why considering Pecharunt has been yeeted)
  • Jet Punch
  • Torch Song
  • Beak Blast
  • Surging Strikes
  • Ceaseless Edge
Pokemon:
  • Gouging Fire
  • Meloetta
  • Thundurus-Therian
  • Jet Punch abusers
  • Kyurem
  • More generally, the sheer number of offensive threats to account for
Mechanics:
  • Tera
The survey as a whole was in line with my expectations. I will once again state my personal stance on move bans in a moment but first, I will say reiterate that the next survey that will be conducted after the incoming suspect (spoilers) will be a doozy and may very well shake the very foundations of the metagame. If say for example, Tera is shown enough support for a suspect and then banned we will basically be restarting the metagame from as close to ground zero as possible aside from obvious broken moves such as Shed Tail and similarly broken Pokemon (Chien-Pao).

Regarding Move Bans

As many are aware, I hold the opinion that moves must be explicitly broken to be banned or restricted as a first response. Calls to question the validity of a move must show that it is pushing other Pokemon into being bannable solely through it's inclusion and it must not be one or two cases but potentially many. Example Azumarill was banned due to a combination Jet Punch, Huge Power, setup through Swords Dance or Belly Drum, massive utility movepool (normal movepool specifically) Magical Torque, and more, not just Jet Punch alone. This being said, if the council was in enough support of a move suspect I would not get in the way of it. I only ask that people push for Pokemon bans unless it is clear as day that the move is breaking many Pokemon, not a few Pokemon with great qualities being bolstered through access to a new move. Compare a Weavile ban where Wicked Blow 100% played a major part in it being broken on top of it's speed and power, and Dragonite where it was in reality the simple fact of it gaining a reliable flying stab where previously it had access to aerial ace and fly (moves in quesiton were Dragon Ascent and arguably Brave Bird) that broke it not that the moves themselves are broken. Some will say this is inflexible, others will argue along different lines and I know not everyone will agree with my sentiments but regardless I just want to make STABmons a competitive, fun, and highly variable metagame which I think I've achieved to some success (not without misteps). If you ever want to speak to me about this topic and others feel free to hit me up on Smogon, PS, or Discord, all with the same name.

Finally, We will be suspect testing Gounging Fire shortly, I think we've moved past the point of quick bans which means we will be mostly resorting to suspects from this point onwards unless Tera is banned. The suspect will be up within a day at the latest which I will announce through the usual channels on discord and here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
OM Leader
Hosting STABmons Suspect Tours

The winners of these tours and follower up will gain Suspect Voting rights in the ongoing Gouging Fire Suspect.

Play on the account you are most associated with on Smogon and PS.

Tours will happen twice each week.

Week 1
First Tour: Friday 22nd 10:00 AM GMT-4

Second Tour: Sunday 24th 3:00 PM GMT -4 (Edit: Since I was indisposed and no one hosted it in my place I will be hosting it today same time)

Week 2
Third Tour: Friday 29th 6:00 PM GMT -4

Fourth Tour: Saturday 30th 10:00 PM GMT -4

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)