Other Metagames [SS ZU] - M.A.L. "Menacing an Anxious Life" - [Peaked PS! #1] 1576 ELO ll 91.2% GXE

1645830040207.png

Credits to AmirAlexander for this amazing artwork. Delightful.

Hello Pokémaniacs :]. Here it is Mirbro again! This is the 7th RMT and, in this current issue of JAPS, I will be addressing the SS ZU tier.

I hope you find easy-going, moving and exciting to take a deep look into the SS ZU tier. For the first time, I am going to describe a team that is no stall or HO. This team is BO featuring hazard stacking. This team was used when Arctovish was not in the tier so I am not sure if the team can still work (maybe after the suspect test we will get again a similar metagame as before though).

As always, during all the RMT you will find some music that I have chosen carefully to accompany you in this sea of words. Each chapter will have a specific song (or set of songs in some cases) that synergize very well with its main goal. You will find them like this:

Here you have a song that is a remix of an original one produced in 8-bits. I love both of them, they transmit me a thrilling moment of adventure and also some tension. These were the songs from GSC games when you entered both Ice Path and the Dark Cave. My favourite generation + my favourite soundtrack of all the series. It is a gg, Game Freak. I do not get tired of listening to them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M.A.L. “Menacing an Anxious Life” [ PS!: Peaked #1]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I - Preface
  • SS ZU: Hazards only in your field
  • Project
II - Introduction
  • The Team: M.A.L
  • The Synergy: Hazards stacking
III - Results
  • Details: Pokémon sets
  • How to use the team: Replays
  • Peak
IV - Discussion
  • Weaknesses
V - Acknowledgements

VI - Conclusions

Both remixed (above) and the original (below) songs always remind me of an intriguing moment when you are entering the ship and you do not know what you will find but after some minutes you realise that is a great adventure. I think it fits pretty well in the Preface part of this RMT.

I - Preface

• SS ZU: Hazards only in your field

At the beginning of the previous metagame, after ZUPL III, I tried to keep the SS ZU momentum that I had and build a team with ladder success. I tried to build around stall, and I got a team that was derived from one by Shack Bandit () and it was not bad but not that good to peak. It was consistent against some matchups but against some cool and uncommon picks it did not work properly. Thus, talking in the ZU Room I came up with the idea of using hazard stacking as it had been brought for many players as one of the best archetypes in that metagame. In my opinion, this was and still is true, and one proof is the fact that Qwilfish (the best Spikes setter) is current S rank in SS ZU.

From my point of view, to build a team around “hazard stacking”, you need a couple of roles to be accomplished: 1) Stealth rock setter, 2) Spikes setter, 3) Good entry hazard removal (better Rapid Spin), 4) T-Spikes setter, 5) Ghost type Pokémon that blocks Rapid Spin, 6) an anti-Defog measure. No team needs to have all these roles but some of them yes. Roles 1, 2, and 3 are the most important ones and the rest can be helpful. Thus, in this Preface section, I will try to describe some of the best Pokémon in the SS ZU tier for these roles.

:Miltank:

This mixed wall is a great Pokémon checking Ice-type Pokémon and also dealing consistent damage with Body Press, Seismic Toss, and Toxic. For all these reasons, Miltank can come with ease and set up rocks before starting to wear down the opponent’s team.

:Rhydon:

Rhydon is the best offensive Pokémon to check Electric-type Pokémon with its amazing bulk. Rhydon can just resist Pokémon such as Rotom and Manectric and, at the same time, pressuring with Stealth Rock or setting up a Swords Dance before wreaking havoc.

:Clefairy:

Clefairy is a mixed wall Pokémon that normally is run as a special defensive one in the tier. Clefairy is a great answer to some wallbreakers such as Thievul but at the same time can give you some utility with Stealth Rock, Wish, and Teleport. However, if it loses Eviolite, then it does not do anything practically.

:Piloswine:

Another one of the three best checks for Electric-type Pokémon. Piloswine was also great in the past metagame with the hail everywhere due to its ability Thick Fat. Moreover, Piloswine presents a good special defense bulk and a good attack stat with some priority (Ice Shard).

:Stunfisk: / :Stunfisk-Galar:

This Pokémon is great for its mixed bulk and being the third check (altogether with Stunfisk-Galar) for Electric-type Pokémon. In bulky or stall teams it also helps against Skuntank which can be sometimes troublesome.

:Uxie:

This Pokémon has had better days in the past, but it is still great in the tier with great utility (Future Sight, U-turn, Stealth Rock, Knock Off). The fact that has some good bulk (mainly physical) and can set up rocks before pivot around is great for some offensive teams.

:Coalossal:

Coalossal has many different tasks at the same time: Stealth Rock setter, Spikes setter, Rapid Spin, etc. Normally it is used as a Spikes setter and an entry hazard removal with Rapid Spin. Main problem is its typing, which makes it lose against both Water- and Ground-type Pokémon.

:Corsola-Galar:

Good Pokémon in SS NFE but here was good in the alpha metagame. Now, it is mainly used in some stall teams but can set up Stealth Rock and play as a stop against Rapid Spin users.

:Palpitoad:

This is truly a God. It has been the ZU Circuit Winner for 2021 (just ask czim about it).

:Qwilfish:

With no doubts, Qwilfish is a beast right now in SS ZU and also it is the best Spikes/T-spikes setter in the metagame. Its speed and its decent physical bulk plus Intimidate ability help it to do several tasks in a team. Moreover, it can also be used quite offensively with Swords Dance.

Coalossal has many different tasks at the same time: Stealth Rock setter, Spikes setter, Rapid Spin, etc. Normally it is used as a Spikes setter and an entry hazard removal with Rapid Spin. Main problem is its typing, which makes it lose against both Water- and Ground-type Pokémon.

:Accelgor:

This is like a meme in the SS ZU ladder (and a bit in the SS PU ladder). This Pokémon is frail but has a great speed, not bad coverage, and can set up Spikes/T-spikes. Not a bad choice in offensive hazard stacking teams.

:Crustle:

This Pokémon can set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes and after setting one or another it can do a Shell Smash to become a threat. However, this Pokémon has had better times (SM ZU).

:Pincurchin:

This Pokémon seems really good in HO electric terrain and stall teams, but this is in theory. In practice, it does not set up Spikes/T-spikes reliably or it cannot keep the momentum of the team.

:Roselia:

This Pokémon has also seen better times, but it is kind of useful in some scenarios. Its typing is really good but relies on Eviolite which loses pretty often. It can set up both Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

:Sandslash-Alola:

This Pokémon now is banned due to its ability Slush Rush under hail. Nevertheless, before it was really good as a special defense wall that could set up Spikes and Rapid Spin opponent’s entry hazards. Moreover, it had great flexibility in the movepool, being used sometimes as a great physical attacker.

:Rotom:

One of the best Pokémon in the tier. Good flexibility of sets and one of them has Defog (with or without Choice Scarf, normally without). This can be a good pick for offensive teams but normally is not that good in bulkier teams due to its frailty. However, it can also be helpful for its typing in hazard stacking teams (Ghost-type stops Rapid Spin).

:Altaria:

One of the best defoggers of the metagame which is also useful as a physical wall against common threats (Qwilfish, Sawk, Thwackey, among others). HDB item also helps it to enter safely the field if opponent’s entry hazards are on.

:Eldegoss:

The best Rapid Spin user of the tier. Eldegoss can come in easily with HDB, get rid of the entry hazards, and then switch out regenerating some HP with Regenerator ability. Moreover, its typing can be useful against common Pokémon such as Rhydon.

:Silvally:

Silvally formes are quite good offensively and can be used as a threat that sometimes can also be a defogger pivot.

:Articuno:

Altogether with Articuno, one of the best defoggers of the tier due to its general bulk and Pressure ability. However, common Stealth Rock setters can beat Articuno with ease, making it one of the best defoggers but not the best one.

:Gurdurr:

Great Pokémon that has some utility with Defog and checking Piloswine. Gurdurr presents good physical bulk and, even though not having great EV investment in attack, it can still deal some consistent damage.

:Cramorant:

Cramorant typing is helpful against some of the best rockers of the tier (aka Rhydon) and its ability can also be great obtaining some unexpected paras or drops in physical defense. Moreover, its offensive pressure is something to take into account. However, Water and Flying-types can be annoying against Electric-type Pokémon, one common type in SS ZU metagame.

:Rotom-Fan:

Rotom-Fan is a bit uncommon but HDB with Defog and Volt-Switch and filler is something that had been used in the past and, in my opinion, it has seen an increase of usage lately.

:Golbat:

Golbat has also seen better times but its bulk and utility with Defog and U-turn is something to keep in mind. However, Golbat would need to run two items at the same time: Eviolite and HDB.

:Cryogonal:

Great special defense wall with good speed stat that can Defog or Rapid Spin entry hazards. Altogether with Eldegoss, these two are the main option of Rapid Spin in the tier.

:Hattrem:

The good Magic Bounce user in the SS ZU tier. Hattrem can see some usage mainly in BO (some specific builds) and in stall (the team I modified from Shacky Bandits). However, Hattrem relies a lot on Eviolite and RestTalk sets to have good longevity.

:Lurantis:

This Pokémon had also more usage in the past metagame and was a good Defogger (for typing against Rhydon and other common rockers) and as a second wincon with Superpower + Knock Off. Its ability Contrary is also helpful against Defog, boosting its evasiveness.

With no doubts, Qwilfish is a beast right now in SS ZU and also it is the best Spikes/T-spikes setter in the metagame. Its speed and its decent physical bulk plus Intimidate ability help it to do several tasks in a team. Moreover, it can also be used quite offensively with Swords Dance.

:Accelgor:

This is like a meme in the SS ZU ladder (and a bit in the SS PU ladder). This Pokémon is frail but has a great speed, not bad coverage, and can set up Spikes/T-spikes. Not a bad choice in offensive hazard stacking teams.

:Pincurchin:

This Pokémon seems really good in HO electric terrain and stall teams, but this is in theory. In practice, it does not set up Spikes/T-spikes reliably or it cannot keep the momentum of the team.

:Runerigus:

This Pokémon has also seen better times. Runerigus can set up both Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Beyond this is a Pokémon with great physical bulk and it can play a role as Electric-type immunity (in theory but bad against coverage). Finally, it can also stop Rapid Spin Pokémon. However, as I said before, this is the typical “in theory” Pokémon that do not work properly in practice.

:Roselia:

This Pokémon has also seen better times, but it is kind of useful in some scenarios. Its typing is really good but relies on Eviolite which loses pretty often. It can set up both Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

:Mareanie:

Mareanie was great in SS ZU alpha times but now its reliability in Eviolite and the lack of pressure in some matchups make it a not that good Pokémon, in the same way as Roselia.

:Rotom:
This is the best Pokémon to stop Rapid Spin in offensive teams. Rotom gives you that role and also Volt-Switching around hitting with great special attack.

:Gourgeist:

Gourgeist-Small is great in offensive teams as a second choice over Rotom. This is fast and can hit hard (normally runs Choice Scarf). On the other hand, Gourgeist-Super is a great wall with some good longevity, but it is slow and hits moderate.

:Spiritomb:

Spiritomb is a moderate physical wall that can stop Rapid Spin users and, at the same time, work as a wincon (Calm Mind RestTalk sets).

:Trevenant:

This is quite uncommon, but some whacky builds have used it with Choice Band sets (which break stall and BO teams).

:Drifblim:

This Pokémon is normally run in HO electric terrain teams working as a meme mainly (due to Acrobatic boost of power).

:Runerigus:

This Pokémon has also seen better times. Runerigus can set up both Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Beyond this is a Pokémon with great physical bulk and it can play a role as Electric-type immunity (in theory but bad against coverage). Finally, it can also stop Rapid Spin Pokémon. However, as I said before, this is the typical “in theory” Pokémon that do not work properly in practice.

:Cursola:

This Pokémon is also quite uncommon, but some TR teams and Choice Specs teams have used it.

:Corsola-Galar:

Good Pokémon in SS NFE but here was good in the alpha metagame. Now, it is mainly used in some stall teams but can set up Stealth Rock and play as a stop against Rapid Spin users.

:Malamar:

This Pokémon can be used as a special defense wall but at the same time as a wincon with Superpower and STAB Knock Off. RestTalk set is good for longevity and its ability Contrary is also helpful when Defog, boosting its evasiveness.

:Lurantis:

This Pokémon had also more usage in the past metagame and was a good Defogger (for typing against Rhydon and other common rockers) and as a second wincon with Superpower + Knock Off. Its ability Contrary is also helpful against Defog, boosting its evasiveness.

• Project

I always say that writing and sharing a RMT is like explaining a fairytale. What you are reading it is me getting across a road trying to pick the good choices until I get home which is when I have the main conclusions and I have learnt something about the tier itself. During this long journey I would like to invite you listen to the music I am sharing and just spend 30 minutes of your life enjoying how a Pokémon passionate is trying to convince you that stall can be fun if played with respect and with head.

I just wanted to honour Sinnoh and Hisui with one of my favourite songs from that region. It makes me feel anxious with the initial mystery but as the song goes on that mystery disappears and makes me feel active with whatever I have just discovered.

II - Introduction

• The team: M.A.L.

What does this acronym stand for? The main star of this team, theoretically, should be Qwilfish, which is a top tier Pokémon right now in SS ZU and Spikes are mandatory for any hazard stacking team. However, as you can recognize in the name of the team, the true star is Malamar. This Pokémon, in the previous metagame, was obnoxious (tell Toto about it). Malamar can just wall many special threats and at the same time spread STAB Knock Off elsewhere. Knock Off is useful in these type of teams because you can get rid of Heavy-Duty Boots which deter residual damage from entry hazards. Moreover, Malamar can also become a threat itself with Superpower. I have had some good sweeps after a couple or three Superpowers (you boost both physical defense and attack). So M.A.L. come form Malamar and they mean “Menacing anxious life” because many times you cannot do anything against the entry hazard and you just become anxious about the menace to your life.

• The synergy: Entry hazards + Rapid Sping

:Qwilfish: + :Cofagrigus:

I started building around Qwilfish and Cofagrigus. Both Pokémon altogether offered a great physical defense core which I had previously used in some stall teams. Qwilfish also offered Spikes and some stallbreaker strategy with Taunt. Cofagrigus due to its typing helped against Rapid Spin users such as Eldegoss (however, it took a ton of damage from Giga Drain, be aware of that).

:Qwilfish: + :Cofagrigus: + :Eldegoss: + :Stunfisk:

Then I went for my own Rapid Spin user that is Eldegoss. This Pokémon serves as a nice special defense wall and, at the same time, it can get rid of opponent’s entry hazards but keeping yours. Stunfisk was also added as Stealth Rock are mandatory in any hazard stacking team and because you really need an Electric-type immunity in SS ZU metagame. Stunfisk does the two things, and it is a good special defense wall paired with Eldegoss that can also keep in check Skuntank.

:Qwilfish: + :Cofagrigus: + :Eldegoss: + :Stunfisk: + :Malamar:

Malamar was finally added because I needed some more special defense wall and a wincon that helps with residual damage spamming Knock Off. Moreover, getting some boosts against Defog due to Contrary ability has saved me some games.

:Qwilfish: + :Cofagrigus: + :Eldegoss: + :Stunfisk: + :Malamar: + :Rapidash:

Finally, the last member of the team was Rapidash. This Pokémon covered a couple of things: Grass-type Pokémon like Thwackey but also some Ice-type Pokémon like Jynx and Frosmoth. Bulky Rapidash can resist some hits and Toxic in return. Moreover, due to its Speed stats, it gives you some speed control that is always welcome in any BO team.

:Qwilfish: + :Cofagrigus: + :Cryogonal: + :Piloswine: + :Malamar: + :Tangela:

When hail teams were everywhere, I did some twists: Tangela > Rapidash, Cryogonal > Eldegoss, and Piloswine > Stunfisk. I did this because Rapidash was not enough to stop Ice-type Pokémon and because with hail it was not able to recover HP with ease. Tangela was a better bulky Pokémon with some good offensive presence. Tangela also helped Malamar’s job of getting rid of items with Knock Off. Cryogonal was our Rapid Spin user and Ice-type Pokémon check. Haze was cool against Aurorus already at +1 and for Frosmoth. Piloswine was a final addition to the team to help a bit more against hail teams and to have a better matchup against Defoggers in order to set up Stealth Rock.

This remix is, in my opinion, amazing. I fell in love with the game song but after listening to this remix I have not stopped of doing it. Sometimes I just click it to play when I am playing on Showdown. Great one.

III - Results

• Details: Pokémon sets
1645831206787.png

Tetraodontidae (Qwilfish) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Pain Split
- Spikes
- Taunt
Roles: Spikes setter + Physical wall + Stallbreaker

Physical wall thanks to Intimidate and typing. EVs are quite standard to boost bulk but with great Speed as the team is very low. Spikes to set up entry hazards, Liquidation to hit hard and fish for some defense drops. Taunt is great against stall teams or other setters. Pain Split gives you some longevity. Rocky Helmet item is useful to stack residual damage.

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the typical gender of fishes that are blowfish.

:BW/Cofagrigus:
Khufu (Cofagrigus) (M)
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Rest
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk
Roles: Physical wall + Status absorber + Knock Off absorber + Rapid Spin blocker

Cofagrigus is the other part of the physical defense core. Moreover, it is the Ghost-type Pokémon needed in a hazard stacking team. EV spread is to maximize physical bulk. Shadow Ball is a great STAB move and Body Press is also quite useful against Normal-type Pokémon immune to Shadow Ball and against Dark-type Pokémon that can try to attack it. RestTalk set is for longevity and status eraser. No item is also useful to absorb Knock Off and Poltergeist.

Nickname: Pharaoh that built the biggest Egyptian pyramid.

:SS/Eldegoss:
Gossypium (Eldegoss) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin
- Sleep Powder / Pollen Puff
- Synthesis
Roles: Rapid Spin user + Special defense wall + Regenerator Pokémon + Status spreader

Eldegoss erases entry hazards from your opponent using Rapid Spin and it can switch into them without worries (but you need to keep Heavy-Duty Boots for that). Giga Drain is a STAB move for some HP recovery. Sleep Powder is quite useful getting some sleeps, but Pollen Puff is also great against some Pokémon like Malamar. Finally, Synthesis is for HP recovery, but it is deterred by hail. EV spread is to maximize special bulk but keeping some Speed to outspeed Rhydon. This is important because Eldegoss can switch into it and eliminate the Stealth Rock that Rhydon set up.

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the gender of cotton plants.

:BW/Stunfisk:
eSoleidae (Stunfisk) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Foul Play
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Roles: Special defense wall + Status spreader + Stealth Rock setter + Electric-type immunity

Stunfisk is your Stealth Rock setter that can also spread some Toxic in the opponent’s team. Importantly, Stunfisk is your Pokémon of choice for Electric immunity. Foul Play is also a good move to hit Pokémon like Rotom, and Earth Power is a STAB move that can hit Skutank, a Pokémon that keeps in check. EV spread is, obviously, to maximize special defense.

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the gender of soles or flatfishes with “e” for electric.

:XY/Malamar:
Architeuthis (Malamar) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower​

Roles: Special defense wall + Status absorber + Knock Off spreader + Wincon + Psychic immunity

Malamar is the niche pick of the team that, at least in the ladder, can get some unexpected good wins. EV spread is to boost special bulk. Knock Off is to get rid of items and it is its STAB move. Superpower is chosen due to Contrary ability, increasing both physical attack and defense. RestTalk is for longevity.

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the gender of animals that are described as Kraken.

1645831417547.png

UniEquus (Rapidash) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Horsepower
- Morning Sun
- Toxic
Roles: Speed + Status spreader

Rapidash is the main way for speed control in this team. Flare Blitz is its STAB move. Morning Sun is for HP recovery. High Horsepower can hit some switch-ins and, at the same time, it does not care about grassy terrain. Finally, Toxic is kind of helpful for some other switch-ins. EV spread is for physically bulky Rapidash but fast enough to outspeed many threats of the metagame.

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the gender of horses and “Uni” for unicorns.

:BW/Cryogonal:
Snow Ghost (Cryogonal) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Roles: Rapid Spin user + Special defense wall + Haze user + Ground immunity

Cryogonal is your best way to deal against Ice-type Pokémon and, at the same time, to get rid of entry hazards with Rapid Spin. Freeze-Dry is a STAB Ice-type move that can hit Water-type Pokémon. Rapid Spin is just for hazards and Haze to eliminate changes in boosts like against Frosmoth. Recover, of course, is for longevity. Heavy-Duty Boots help Cryogonal to do its entry hazard removal job properly. EV spread is to maximize special bulk but having good speed reaching 330 which is an important tier (like Rapidash in the other team variant).

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the typical ghost of the snow.

1645831505485.png

Sus (Piloswine) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
Roles: Stealth Rock setter + Electric immunity + Special defense wall

Piloswine worked pretty well in the last metagame (when hail was top tier) because it could check some Ice-type Pokémon that were highly used using Rock Slide, and it could set up Stealth Rock. Moreover, it was a rocker that could also work as Electric-type immunity, which is great in this Rotom-dependent tier. Earthquake and Ice Shard are STAB moves although the latter is interesting due to priority. Thick Fat ability is really good against Ice-type Pokémon, decreasing the damage by half.

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the gender of pigs.

1645831538947.png

Hedera (Tangela) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Toxic
Roles: Physical wall + Regenerator + Status spreader

Tangela makes a great core with both Qwilfish and Cofagrigus. Giga Drain is a STAB move that helps you recover some HP. Sludge Bomb is to hit Grass-type Pokémon that switch into it. Synthesis is just for HP recovery and Toxic to spread status against switch-ins. Regenerator is always great in any team and here too of course. EV spread is meant to maximize physical bulk.

Nickname: Its nickname refers to the gender of plants called ivy.

Variant 1:
1645831206787.png :BW/Cofagrigus: :SS/Eldegoss: :BW/Stunfisk: :XY/Malamar:1645831417547.png

Variant 2:
1645831206787.png :BW/Cofagrigus: :BW/Cryogonal: :XY/Malamar: 1645831505485.png 1645831538947.png

This antagonist was amazing and the remix song from Cynthia is incredibly cool. It is a perfect song to watch the upcoming replays

• How to use the team: Replays

In this section I will post some replays in which you can find the way to use the team. You will find a description of the battle (with the keypoints) and you will only need to click on the image to be redirected to the replay :]. I will try to classify them according to the opposite team.

1645831738984.png 1645831761919.png

This matchup is not really tough for this team but you need to play around and get the correct Toxics to both Drifblim and Swoobat. Malamar with Psychic-immunity for Stored Power and STAB Knock Off is great.

1645831807895.png

For this matchup you have two Pokémon really important for hail: Cryogonal and Piloswine. Moreover, Cofagrigus is really important against alolan-Sandslash as it can get rid of its ability Slush Rush and it can 2HKO it with Body Press. Rest is quite self-explanatory.

1645831864984.png

Very standard team but with a great matchup for our team. However, you need to be aware of Skuntank and keep it in check with Stunfisk.

1645831897193.png

This team is a good balanced one with Jynx mainly as a breaker. This Jynx is the most threatening one, you really need to be aware of it and keep Rapidash at high HP to keep it in check.

1645831929866.png

Standard team again but with alolan-Persian. Main problem here is to keep rocks out due to Piloswine, which is great and can beat Eldegoss. Future-Sight + U-turn on Uxie is also kind of problematic. However, it is still a winnable matchup.

• Peak

1645833497778.png

Amazing song. Really. Listening to this song you can situate yourself in front of your biggest challenge during the ending. It is now or never. You have to try it. You must do it. Once you reach it, then the song changes to a happier melody. I found the remastered one amazingly good although the 8bits one is absolutely nostalgic for me.

IV - Discussion

• Weaknesses

As it has demonstrated with the peak and the suspect tests, this team can overcome most of the current playstyles in the current metagame. However, it is important to mention which Pokémon can provoke some troublesome scenarios. In the next paragraphs, I will highlight in red the Pokémon that can be very annoying, in orange the moderate ones and in yellow the slight ones.

Qwilfish is one of the biggest threats to this team. SD and Spikes are a combination that can put pressure on Eldegoss and get some kills. You will need to sack something against it in the long run.

:Piloswine:
Piloswine can set up rocks with ease against Eldegoss and, maybe it will not claim a kill quickly, but it can put some high pressure on your team.

:Thievul:
Thievul is a threat if it is running Choice Specs because you do have neither Alcremie or Clefairy. You will have to play around with Eldegoss.

:Jynx:

Jynx is a threat when running Lovely Kiss and Psyshock as it can overcome both Rapidash and Cryogonal. You will need to play accurately with them and Malamar.

:Malamar:

Malamar is a threat if not running Pollen Puff in Eldegoss or you have with low HP your Cofagrigus as this will be a matchup of who is faster setting up enough Superpowers. You will need to play carefully.

To sum up, this team, as any other, has some threats and weaknesses but in general it can overcome all of them and have a good matchup in practically all the games.

For me this song is so nostalgic. One of the best routes of all Pokémon games with the ash falling from the next volcano. At the same time, it is so powerful, you know that something epic is coming. Something epic but tough too. Original version is the bottom one.

V - Acknowledgments

As always, building this team and its own success would not have been possible without some people that have been there just backing me up or giving some advice.

I would like to thank all of you that get out of your way to help me or just discuss with me about competitive Pokémon or just Pokémon vanilla. I would like to do some brief shoutouts to people that have not participated directly to this team but I know they are there: Shing'n Streets (you have done a lot for me during these last mont), 85percent , Simbo, Rav3ndan, tlenit, btboy , DnB , R8bbit Konijn Lapin, Jirachirite . General thanks to NFE, ZU, PU Europe (Drud) and shituusers room.

However, I want to mention with more emphasis the people that have been there during the performing of this team. They have participated more or less directly to its creation and its final outcome.

czim – Thanks for all the suggestions that you gave me and your ideas around Rapidash and Piloswine were great. You the GOAT from ZU and congratulations for the 2021 ZU Circuit win. I hope you are enjoying your retirement .

Tuthur – You also suggested some changes and tested with me. I am very thankful for that and congratulations for your ZU Winter Open .

AmirAlexander – Really, thanks for the amazing banner you did. I have no words to express how amazing you are and the creativity you have. The best artwork of all JAPS I have ever done.

Reiga – Thanks for the patience. You did an amazing work for the Dragonite. Cute and comfy, a pure Dragonite :).

And to finish, my second favourite song of all GSC and Pokémon series. National park is sad and happy at the same time as always happens in the end of an adventure. In the remastered one, both piano and cord instruments combine perfectly well for this mix of feelings. Without a doubt, my favourite part comes in the 2:00 fragment with the piano. Just shocking.

VI - Conclusions

This is the end of my 7th RMT. This time I tried to approach a hazard stacking team with some niche pick wincon as Malamar. I used a similar type of strategy in ZU in the past (L.U.G.G. team in SM ZU) but that was staller than this. I must admit that this team has been the one with which I have had greater success in the ladder as you can see by the GXE. Altogether, I think I accomplished to demonstrate that hazard stacking archetype was really really good in SS ZU in the last metagame. However, after the possible ban of Arctovish, this archetype can shine again even though Cofagrigus is no longer here anymore.

Remember Pokémaniacs, Pokémon is just to enjoy any piece of time you spend on it. Peace always in the battles against Hyper Offense or against stall because, at the end, what makes you happy playing it is your attitude. Life is not easy, but it is not difficult. Life is life, face it with a big smile (like this Dragonite :D)!

1645832307079.png

Credits to Reiga for this amazing artwork.

See you all Pokémaniacs in the next RMT! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)