Project SS UU Research Week - UU RESEARCH - Week 42 Roost Hydreigon and Any sets Crobat - New System !

INTRO: Sorry about the super delayed post, I legit gave up after ladder tilted me.

:BW/Mienshao:

SETS USED:

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

SUMMARY :If I am being frankly honest, the reason why I didn't do as many battles was because I simply couldn't build a team I liked with LO Shao. It's pretty hard to give up on the speed control, especially when DD Mence and Gyara are sort of common on ladder. I have played around a bit with the concept of Poison Jab over Stone Edge to hit Prima since you can U-turn out of mence to mess with it when it comes in instead, but I never got great use out of it. Definitely want to compensate for losing the speed on Mienshao, something like Mamoswine, Lycanroc-D or Choice Scarf Rotom are options I am partial towards. I honestly think something like Roserade would be a great partner for being able to spike all over the Amoonguss that Mienshao does a good job attracting and makes it significantly more difficult for Amoonguss and Aegislash to continuously check Mienshao.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1396257111-mwdp5hmaydm1k00t465qp8xar0za8uqpw - Mienshao went in here because it couldn't be taken advantage after being locked the way scarf sets are, meaning there was no chance of something like Krook or Keld coming in safely. Knocking Amoonguss just turns it into U-turn bait for the rest of the match, which is really funny.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1395610403-vyri2ckju886fgptmszx0xsxx9lh9ubpw - Something cheesy like Belly Drum Kommo-o can't be revenge killed by LO Shao so I had to use Mamoswine instead to revenge kill that.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1396264612-pj7jgjoa2nnhqttwoj0iq32boywre7qpw - So the thing with not running scarf Shao is that you are leaving yourself wide open to being harassed by Lycanroc-D if you don't respect it and this guy clearly didn't take that into account. My own Mienshao didn't really have a chance to do anything but that's why Lycanroc-D and Scarf Washtom are good make up in those matchups

CONCLUSION: I think LO Shao is good, it dumps on defensive pretty hard but there are some definite tradeoffs against offense. The upsides are definitely worth it though, and worth exploring. Band, KM, and I were also talking about SD in the discord with options like SD U-Turn, Blaze Kick, Acro so there's probably some room there too.

OVERALL RATING: A

Last edited:
Now shifts are here, we can do another week

Week 38 ! Congratulations to Mystras Leoxses for winning the week37 !

The summary of the pokemon tested this week :

Mienshao LO is a very useful partner in the offensive team, able to come many times on the field thanks to his talent and to U-turn and knock easily. His speed is also one of his assets. His bulk on the other hand does not allow him to come on many pokemon.
I tested many times Necrozma Meteor Beam, his natural bulk + autotomize access allows it to be one of the best sweeper in HO. But It takes 2 turns to set up properly, which can give time to the opponent to prepare his answer and Necrozma has no way to boost after killing a pokemon, like celesteela could do.

Excadrill
Ability: Any
Evs : Any
-
-
-
-

Swampert
Ability: Any
Evs : Any
-
-
-
-

Who could have imagined this, Excadrill went down to UU. Will his unique dual type and access to sandstrom benefiting talent succeed in developing sand in UU?
Swampert is back in UU as in SM, but this time with a new move, flip turn, very useful for offensive teams wanting a defensive pokemon that can pivot. How will Swampert evolve in a metagame with Seismitoad?

New :

We've made Research Week easier than ever to participate now! All you need to do is copy the optional template below when you make your research findings post. Just copy, plug in your findings, and you're done! WOW so easy! (You are not obligated to use this template, you can still post in your own way however you feel).

INTRO: (write a little blurb here, w/e you want)

ZAPDOS-GALAR

:Zapdos-Galar:

SETS USED:

Zapdos-Galar @ z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: x
x Nature
-
-
-
-

(Any other sets used, list those too)

SUMMARY: (include good cores, good matchups, bad matchups, etc.)

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Zapdos shows it is the bravest bird")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Zapdos fails to be anything more than fried chicken")
(more replays - put as many as are relevant!)

CONCLUSION: (final thoughts)

OVERALL RATING: (w/e you want, D through S is standard but you can use whatever scale you prefer)
-
:ss/Nidoqueen:

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
Ability: x
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Nidoqueen ascends to the throne")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Nidoqueen has truly abdicated the crown")

OVERALL RATING: (w/e you want, D through S is standard but you can use whatever scale you prefer)

In order to participate you must do the following:

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW38 Draconic or SSRW38 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on Septembre 10 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

Was gonna try building around CB Pert anyway so I'll give both a shot

SSRW38 niagara

EDIT: so I guess I'm the only participant this week? Does that mean I win by default? :psysly:

Anyway, tried both Swampert and Excadrill this week. I'll keep this brief because I don't have strong feelings on either mon.

:swampert: @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Liquidation

The fish-thing is back in UU, and while its Mega was left in the dirt, it once again offers its stellar typing and bulk. There's been some chat about Pert in the NP thread and on Discord regarding its place in the meta and it seems to me people, myself included, are still figuring out its best sets. CB was brought up and that seemed neat so I gave it a try.

It's...okay. 110 base Attack is on the low side and your STABs can be taken advantage of depending on what you lock yourself into. I opted to run max HP in order for this thing to keep at least some bulk, but you can definitely run some Speed depending on what walls you want to outspeed or tie with. I'd say the best things this set has going for it is a slow, strong Flip Turn and the surprise factor.

Overall rating: CB Pert gets a C.

:excadrill: @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- High Horsepower / Earthquake
- Iron Head

Skarm and Steela shut down offensive Excas and Gigalith is meh so I tried a more defensive mole this week. Ran this alongside Tapu Bulu as a Dragon check, hence High Horsepower, otherwise run EQ.

I'd say this thing is pretty good as a utility mon. Toxic and T-Wave absorber and decent Attack even with minimal investment. There's not much else to say about it. The +1 Speed after a Rapid Spin can give you the jump on things switching in to try forcing you out. I think this thing is a good addition to the tier.

Overall rating: B.

Last edited:
Intro: Okay so I don't have an acc to work off of considering I really wasn't actively going for this event but I do have some thoughts about drill before this place takes a hiatus. I had fun working on this when I started, it gave me a good outlet to start making more posts like this so here's to more in the future. Onto this, I'll quickly give my thoughts about Swampert here; I originally really disliked it cause of the same problems it had in OU, that being how over-reliant it is on its leftovers for longevity and being really passive, but it does have some more saving graces considering how it's added bulk actually let's it check drill like once and the rise in Tapu Bulu to give it passive recovery does help it out a lot. I'm gonna put in on a B rating cause it's not bad but needs some outside support for what it does.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Toxic
- Toxic / Rapid Spin

This is the set I probably like the least pesonally, especially with both rocks and spin, because I am not a fan of trying to put a lot of over relying on a single mon for my hazard setter, removal, electric-immune, backscratcher, etc. Regardless on teams where you don't really have a choice on, its not a horrid thing to fall back on given drill's defensive profile. The added defensive utility comes in handy when you're in a bind against Latias and managed to come in on a Draco or Tbolt.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1433047932-cy2e9jkb8j44k7ff9sx9biit0j6s13hpw - it took one unboosted Thundurus focus blast and while the lack of attack investment can stink at times, I am glad my opponent decided to try risking on rolls than aiming for a focus blast again cause I did end up winning the exchange with it.

Rating: A-

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Flapship Drill set, what else do you want me to say? I don't have replays of this but can safely say that this should be on the minds of everyone's minds, in the builder or in play. Main downside though has to be the fact that this has pretty bad defensive utility for a Steel-type without investment; there should definitely have another answer to the dragons like rachi cause this is not taking too many Draco Meteors let alone their coverage moves. Luckily, that is far from the worst thing in the world and drill still has enough defensive use to set up on Pokemon like Latias after it Draco bombed something else. It's removal, it's an electric immune, and it's a wincon meaning it's a threat and a half that comes in at multiple points in the game to threaten something and it rarely feels like a waste of a team slot.

Rating: A+

Conclusion: Drill has another set like sash lead on HO teams which is one note but does its job, just shows how splashable drill is on a wide variety of playstyles. It's a good addition to the tier that doesn't feel overwhelming given the things we have for it while still being top tier.

Overall Rating: S

Thank you to Rawbi and Mystras Leoxses for contributing your thoughts and for your participation this week! The winner for this week is Rawbi !!!!!!!!!!!! (by default).

:Swampert:
Swampert has proven to be a bit of a confusing mon in UU without a firmly established place at the moment. A Choice Band set was tried out here by Rawbi, but it failed to do anything spectacularly and other CB options like Zygarde-10% and Krook probably work better. The defensive sets were not tested here, but they have seen a lot of work in the tier and so far the verdict remains out on the fish! There may be some changes to the tier coming soon, so maybe this will impact just how we all play Swampert on our teams.

:Excadrill:

Excadrill, on the other hand, seems to have great defensive and offensive options. The specially defensive utility set was tested out here and proved to be quite effective. Additionally, you have to watch out for its offensive set as it will blow through your team if your checks are gone. Mold Breaker also ensures the Rotoms are washed and toasted. Unlike Swampert, Excadrill seems to have firmly established its place here in UU, and is likely to remain a fixture for a while (unless OU steals it back).

NEW WEEK

WEEK 39
THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LAST WEEK BEFORE WE TAKE A RESEARCH BREAK

The project is not as active as it used to be, so we are going to ponder some changes to it while taking a break. But not before complete this next week of...

UU RESEARCH - WIDE OPEN WEEK 39!

You can test any mon that is not UU by usage this week, with any set! Viability Rankings be damned, if you think something can work in UU, then make it happen here as now is your chance! I have prepared a graphic with some possible options for you:

1635749807363.png

Anything that is RUBL, RU, NUBL, NU, PUBL, PU, ZUBL, or ZU is on the table. You have never had this much freedom for Research Week before, so make it count! You can even test multiple mons if you'd like! WOW what an opportunity!

New :

We've made Research Week easier than ever to participate now! All you need to do is copy the optional template below when you make your research findings post. Just copy, plug in your findings, and you're done! WOW so easy! (You are not obligated to use this template, you can still post in your own way however you feel).

Code:

ZAPDOS-GALAR

:ss/Moltres:

SETS USED:

Moltres @ z
Ability: Flame Body
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Moltres shows it is the bravest bird")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Moltres fails to be anything more than fried chicken")

-

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Nidoqueen ascends to the throne")

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW39 ILY RW!!!! or SSRW39 FU RW!!!!) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on November 15 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

(EDIT: also if you have any suggestions on how we can improve Research Week, feel free to message myself or KSt3ve )

I am also going to sign up this time around - SSRW39 Mantoes

I'm not yet sure what I will be testing, but I will edit my post and put it in once I figure it out, since we have two weeks for this one.

EDIT: You know what, I'm gonna test Scyther and see what it can do here

Last edited:
Well, it's been forever since I played...any PS, really, given my computers are still a bit unreliable after the most efficient one up and died back in May. Ugh.

Still, I figure I might as well help give Sword & Shield a semi-sendoff before the new games come out, so I will sign up as SSRW39 A Ducktale and test at least :sirfetch Sirfetch'd, whom is the most appropriate mon for that and whom I've been vaguely eyeing for a month while ghosting and haunting Pet Mods. I might test other sub-UU mons, but I doubt it unless it's incidental, like Sylveon or Diancie or something. Shrug.

Also, BigFatMantis, you should probably change the title when you get the chance. Not that I'm one to talk given my last post in here was months ago when I accidentally predicted Kentaro Miura's death, which still feels...awkward. Blathering aside, good luck to everyone.

Just a reminder to everyone that signed up to try to get this done by the end of this weekend, as the deadline is Monday. Even if you only played a few games it'd be cool to see what you found out. Good luck everyone!

INTRO: Surprising that I'd be on schedule with this one, Cress is something I've seen quite a few times but wanted to try it myself. I was a little surprised that I managed to make it work so probably a good time to share my findings

Cresselia @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast / Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave / Moonlight
- Trick
- Lunar Dance

SUMMARY: One of the things I noticed is that you sort of have to go out of your way to ensure that Jirachi isn't just better on the team cause it has better overall utility between its Steel-typing, U-turn, and just greater offensive presence in general. That basically meant I actively had to find a reason to use Cress and make to where I wouldn't be better slapping a Shao or rachi over it. It was pretty restrictive honestly but I ended up doing the job by making double steel teams as an excuse to not use rachi. From other teams I got featuring Cress outside of TR, there are definitely other methods, double steel just seemed like the easiest to me.

Cress itself was okay, wound up being a lot of a Trick bot most of the time but that was honestly fine. It takes one hit from even boosted attackers like Thundurus and it can be a sack later if needed. Moonblast or Ice Beam, it honestly depends on how confident you feel around Hydreigon; Moonblast still doesn't OHKO on account of Cresselia's miserable attacking power but it still 2HKOes as opposed to Ice Beam which is a 3HKO. Ice Beam has that silly chance to Freeze and while similarly hitting mons like Zarude pretty hard so feel free to run that if you want. Similar deal with Thunder Wave or Moonlight, it kind of depends on what matchup you want Cress to be better against. Thunder Wave can catch some very nasty mons like Azelf aiming to setup in front of your face, but I sometimes wanted Cress to pivot one more time or two in longer games.

Team: I decided on Kommo-o and Celesteela as the Lunar Dance targets because it can restore their PP in longer games. Close Combat has low PP and Leech Seed can be stalled out too so I decided to give it a chance with them. I never really got the chance to see the PP restoration come into play but the full hp and status properties from healing wish were still nice to have. Exca is the quintessential rocker and Ground Immunity, its sort of my only means of protection from Thundurus by toxic stalling the bastard and if I miss well I sure hope my back up plan pans out. Tang is here to make sure I don't lose to mons like Shao and Rotom is here cause I needed a defog a pivot and a way to pressure Celesteela more.

This actually gave me a better time in reqs than what I usually get but I think this would be better in a metagame without so much HO. I don't have much counterplay to Thundurus and Galarian Moltres outside from Toxic Drill or Trick Cress and even then im a little under fire from Gmolt in particular. I doubt I can even play the team later on since Kommo-o is likely getting the ban hammer but oh well. Speaking of, I'm not sure how I feel about the team being this reliant on Kommo-o for breaking looking at it now, it really just looks like the team wants to deny as much progress as possible from the opponent so that I have a chance to sweep. I mostly went by with Celesteela, Rotom, and Tangrowth stopping a lot of opposing teams looking back at it with Cress just there to help out by tricking a scarf.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1448304323-ryp7ywzcz5byed1vovnhmiqobt4tprmpw - This team was from low ladder so this is kind of low hanging fruit, but I just love how much Cress messed with them in the first 3 turns. Like I said, bulk really makes Cress into a trick bot which in some games, is enough.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1448995489-jle437sukwuhb5ng00677nfdgumjypqpw - This may or may not be relevant after kommo-o's ban (like come on let's be real). The damage was ass frankly, I would've been in a much tighter spot had I not gotten the MB drop, but this does show that Cress can comfortably tank a Clanging Scales even at +2 given the damage from +1. Tricking the item would have basically served the exact same purpose of crippling Kommo-o, so just do that against those setup mons.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1450746153-mvemi0nvun2oeu0ja6t2ax1438c8gplpw - Can't say that I was pleasantly surprised to find someone like Duonks but at least I came out of it alive. After this, I usually run Twave now on Cress, at least on this team. I had moonlight on it before, that's why I didn't switch it on Azelf and made the balls to the walls scale shot play instead. If I did have twave I would have been in a near guaranteed position to win.

Conclusion: Cress is pretty good, it messes with items a lot and Lunar Dance is still a cool niche to have. Probably a bit too hard to fit and passive for its own good to be consistently considered but its not the end of the world consider.

Rating: C+

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
:golisopod: the pod :golisopod:

Golisopod is literally one of my favorite Pokemon of all time, and I've always thought its unique defensive profile, access to Spikes, and Emergency Exit gave it a lot of potential on offensive structures. Regardless of the tier, the way in which Emergency Exit inherently operates is just incredibly cool, and while it can be very difficult to control at times, it can sometimes lead to some insane picks. That being said, Golisopod by nature of having Emergency Exit force it out alongside its access to extremely powerful priority options tends to pigeonhole it into the offensive spiker archetype, and even if this is a rather limited role to have, it being a Spiker that beats and checks most variants of Excadrill and Mamoswine while having the ability to be a nasty revenge killer and sudden pivot is rather neat. Its dual STAB combination off of its rather high Attack-stat is also incredibly hard to pivot around without an Azumarill or Primarina.

Apologies in advance if the replays themselves aren't anything grand; I've been really busy with college the past few weeks so the support here may not be the best, but I'll give my best insight regardless.

---

Sets:

the maximum pod

:ss/golisopod:
Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Spikes
- Liquidation
- Leech Life / Knock Off

In SS UU, to make Golisopod work, you will need to run it with Spikes and First Impression. Liquidation I have found is pretty much mandatory as it allows you to beat the tier's Ground-types without forcing you to pop your Emergency Exit at an unoptimal time, and of course it's just really hard to play around with First Impression in the equation, but above all else it's just a reliable damage-dealing option. The last moveslot, though, was something that I had to experiment with a lot. Leech Life tends to be the most consistent as it not only keeps up the pressure against Umbreon and Tangrowth/Amoonguss structures we see floating around a decent bit, but it also notably has the ability to give Golisopod more than one Emergency Exit to work with. Knock Off disarms Heavy-Duty Boots, which is very helpful on paper but not quite as handy as you'd think since most HDB-wearers aren't going to really want to stay in against you anyway; from my experience it's been mostly helpful for nuking Leftovers from Celesteela, Primarina, and Azumarill and random Rocky Helmets from Skarmory and Amoonguss, which admittedly can be very nifty in the long term. Though, cores that tend to feature things like Skarmory (which Knock helps with) are also rounded off by other things like Umbreon and Tangrowth which you'd really want Leech Life for. Considering most things that you're hitting with Knock Off can be overwhelmed anyway, you'd rather just go with Leech Life.

You will want to pair this set with good Spike abusers and Pokemon that are generally hard to pivot around. Conkeldurr has been by far my favorite and in general is a great beneficiary of Emergency Exit since most moves that prock Emergency Exit tends to be stray chip damage from passive and/or Fighting-type weak Pokemon. Conkeldurr is already a demon, and with Spikes it becomes near impossible to switch into without a healthy Skarmory. Other beneficiaries include things like Primarina, Thundurus-T, and offensive Kommo-o variants. Golisopod also builds a strong hazard core with ally Excadrill, with some rather great type synergy to bat, and Excadrill can clear out hazards if Golisopod's item gets removed. Rotom-H is also neat as generally its Volt Switch also enables powerful breakers, but can also position Golisopod against Dragon-types like Hydreigon that aren't as comfortable soaking a First Impression.

the hyper momentum-generator pod (aka ausmapod)

Golisopod @ Red Card
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- First Impression
- Taunt / Swords Dance
- Spikes

I've had 0 good replays with this in the short time I've been able to test this so take this with a grain of salt, but the idea of this set is to take advantage of the unique interaction that Red Card has with Emergency Exit to give yourself a gigantic momentum advantage right out the gate, alongside a couple layers of hazards. In case it's not obvious, this is an HO lead, but if you're a crackhead like me you can run it on some weird VoltTurn structures too. The interaction essentially goes: Spikes/Taunt -> Vice Versa -> Liquidation/Spikes -> Emergency Exit, which then lets you immediately get in a terrifying breaker with effective chip damage. Taunt's purpose on this set is mostly to disarm potential passive leads such as Celesteela, Amoonguss, and Skarmory in order to get 2-3 layers of Spikes by forcing them into their unoptimal attacking moves, however Swords Dance is also an option if you want to immediately start dealing out some damage with Liquidation and need to pierce big holes into bulky Water-types like Primarina for allies like Kommo-o to more assuredly clean later.

The major unfortunate thing is that most Pokemon will likely activate your Red Card before your Emergency Exit, but this is also ok because usually what comes in will still give you a nice momentum advantage anyway since your opponent is thrown out into something that tends to not want to be out at a given time. That can give you the positional advantage, or another free layer of Spikes depending on the Pokemon; in my experiences it's turned out horribly mostly because it drew out the worst possible mon numerous times, which is more to the fault of RNG than anything else. And if you get the perfect move that knocks you into Emergency Exit range and simultaneous Red Card activation, enjoy your insane momentum swing, as Red Card activates before Emergency Exit (Bulbapedia says otherwise but that’s how it works in Showdown, see for yourself). That's fun, right?

---

Cons:

Golisopod lacks speed, so it's important to manage your HP wisely, as generally you're going to be trading blows in most cases that you're not Spiking on forced doubles; while Golisopod is incredibly dangerous, it can be shockingly easy to run down, and as such generally is not good as a long-term check to most things. Golisopod, at its core, is a potent offensive Spiker with a nifty defensive profile that can take pressure off against Excadrill and should mostly be played to being solely used for its merits as a Spiker with a unique pivoting option that exploits Excadrill and similar Pokemon. Its speed is also majorly detrimental when you already take prior chip, since then you're reliant on First Impression to do anything meaningful before you're forced out by Emergency Exit.

Its lack of longevity is also an issue as it limits Golisopod's defense utility even more, and limits how many times you can work with Emergency Exit pivots. This further relegates it to its offensive merits, which are solid but in tandem with its speed it's sometimes a Pokemon that you will see do very little work outside of setting a couple layers of Spikes.

Emergency Exit is a very double-edged sword and interactions like the above are a huge reason you need to be very deliberate with your HP-pool. It's very often that Emergency Exit will actively screw you instead of help you, since even a little bit of chip damage can throw everything off considering how sensitive of an ability it is. In some cases it can win you games, but in some others it can be a waste of your Golisopod's HP and the mega-pivot in of itself.

Lastly, its dual STAB combination, while good, is sadly resisted by 3 of some incredibly powerful Pokemon in the tier: Kommo-o, Primarina, and Azumarill, which can then exploit Golisopod for a boosting or breaking opportunity. Since these Pokemon all have very solid bulk, this generally means they will not have any qualms pivoting in a couple times. In the case of Kommo-o, it can be game-ending if it has the right set. Considering how incredible these Pokemon are, this is a really big problem and can limit its utility greatly in some matchups due to how dangerous it is to give these Pokemon free turns.

---
da replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1448741107-gkceq5xmp33v0rh60warxly1r2qxnelpw - (probably the best replay, pod exploits amoonguss to layer up against a regen core which is debilitating for politoed and lets prima seize a more commanding cm endgame)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1448422598-bcssnbeycs6jjznqqzvm07udqq6wyk6pw - (uses its defensive profile to harass with knock and get up a spike layer which is important for conk breaking in the midgame")
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1447425166-fraxum0lm24xppoxlv4ohm6bs2lzakxpw - (demonstrates the drill mu, shows why leech life is better by showing how knock can be an L at times)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1448734107-wzx4tmse5foas5igt2egqcbcdxkiqjlpw - (another drill mu, p much only demonstrates that interaction though)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1447421146-sr8incpwid46u067yi4a77ukq874y1npw - (shows the swampert mu, demonstrates how first impression rking is nifty and liquidation breaking power can be helpful for opening up allies)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1447427357-zsp9ht9t749mqn19mmorevitiu5i7bbpw - (very questionable team but you can see here how first impression is a very valuable rking option)

Golisopod is fun as hell, and I think a very interesting and spicy way to shake up your offensive teams, be them HO or more standard BO. It has a wealth of very debilitating and exploitable problems that keep it from letting its otherwise fairly sound pool of defensive and offensive attributes be consistent assets to teams, but its undeniably unique combination of options as a Spiker, attacker, and revenge killer carves it a very discernible and in my eyes, a rankable niche. If Kommo-o turns out to be banned that's a great point in the Pod's favor, but regardless of what happens in the suspect I do suggest giving it a try mostly just because of how fun it can be to pilot and how dynamic and unconventional of a momentum mon it can be.

OVERALL RATING: C+/B-

Last edited:
I have received a couple of requests for an extension on this, so you have until Sunday November 21 to post your results here.

Even if you don't have many games, we'd still like to hear what you found out. With BDSP coming out, it'd be nice to get this wrapped up this week.

scorbunnys BigFatMantis The Damned Rawbi Magnum StarFalcon555 Hematemesis

If you planned do test a bunch of stuff, try to limit it to just one or two if you still haven't completed it so that you can get this done. Sometimes if you try to test too many, in reality you end up testing none.

Remember we are all here to learn :blobwizard:

Apologies, BigFatMantis. I had computer issues yesterday--stupid faulty replacement battery--in addition to being busy with other things. I also knew that when I did post that it would take a while due to being rather...long given all the testing I did despite being done since Sunday and taking Saturday off to catch up with NaNoWriMo and for my health. Speaking of health....

EYE-BLEED WARNING: This will be my longest post ever on this forum, which is saying...a lot since everyone knows how long-winded I can get by now, just because I tried to play every day of the second test week--except Saturday--despite also doing NaNoWriMo and other things. There ended up being a lot of running commentary per match, especially towards the beginning. DO NOT bask in its eldritch glory read all of this at once, please. I'd legitimately rather not hurt anyone's eyes or give people headaches. This isn't Lovecraft. You'll need to take at least one screen break even if your eyes don't glaze over or melt.

With that said, I ended up trying :sirfetch (CB) Sirfetch'd, :haxorus: (CB) Haxorus, and :whimsicott: (Specs) Whimsicott. I hadn't intended to be "Oops, all Choice users!" for this test, much less multiple mons, but it is what it is I guess and after three days I decided that I needed break from Sirfetch'd. In the spirit of attempting summation for the first two mons, I can actually use a single image:

Joke aside, First Impression is fine-ish in the current meta, but it's easily not as good as it would have been in the Latias meta that I initially wanted to try it and Sirfetch'd in. Unlike Latias, most of the remaining S or A tier mons incidentally resist Bug type--obnoxious Celesteela quad-resists even--outside of the Regenerator arses that aren't Mienshao. Having CB attached to First Impression just makes more of a momentum sink than it already is too, which didn't help my testing, but, hey, that's all on me and something I figured going into this since I've used Golisopod before, who clearly got busy in between Gen 7 and Gen 8.

========

Brave Sir Robin!
Sirfetch'd Test Days: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (2021/11/08 through 2021/11/10)

Monday:

Test Your Might (Sirfetch'd) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- First Impression
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird

Why Was This Chosen?: As I've said, I've been mulling this over as a potential anti-meta pick due to its access to First Impression ever since Latias dropped...and then Latias was rightfully exiled back to UUBL for its lack of remorse for war crimes against its fellow mons. Still, I wanted to see if maybe Sirfetch'd had a niche even with Ms. Nuremberg gone just because Scrappy STAB Close Combat seemed rather nice by itself, especially when the only real Ghost in the meta is technically weak to Fighting and slower by default. Finally, I tend to unfortunately play durdly, do-nothing teams too often that aren't actually stall, so I wanted to force myself be more offensive off the bat than I usually am.

(So of course the first team I make to ease myself back into months of absence in part due to months of computer trouble has my favored crutch of Wish Sylveon on it.)

:sirfetch:sylveon::celesteela::hydreigon::nidoking::volcanion:
SSRW39 #1 Test Your Mallard (Pls No Moltres)
https://pokepast.es/1f008446e108953c

(2021/11/08)
01. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1451506540 = We start at the 2nd match given that the 1st one was utterly uneventful, if the usual strangeness found at 1000. For a "fresh start", it sure is good to see that my bad luck is still in play despite my months-long respite given those Iron Head flinches. [/this is sarcasm] Jirachi manages to haunt me when it's not even in the current game, the bastard. (Anyway, First Impression cleans up the Mamoswine that may not have even had Ice Shard anyway. Yay?)

02. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1451510439 = Despite this crappy first team of mine, Sirfetch'd gets to actually do something and start slaughtering towards the end since my opponent plays super loosely with Chandelure and gets it murdered despite the fact Scrappy Close Combat would have OHKO'd it too. Then they play too defensively afterwards, not even finishing off Sylveon despite my sketchy switch into the predicted Explosion just because Sylveon seemed a bit expendable and I didn't want to risk Celesteela getting Fire Blast'd or--gasp--Knock Off'd. Sacrificial as it seemed, Sylveon living ironically made things much easier given Heal Bell. After that it was a wrap. (My "bad luck" basically continues by somehow knocking both Zoroark and Quagsire to the exact same HP percentage, figuring it was Zoroark anyway, and then getting hit by the Focus Blast when I expected Sludge Bomb, leaving Hydreigon in a crumped hydra heap. Go me.)

03. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1451515962-97aebg1d7a9jzf9cvhe0rz2m7le1c2mpw = Apparently Steam Eruption wanted to not Burn this match at all, on top of this team being soft to Moltres, which I already knew. Yay. My stubbornness on that front didn't help though, and Sirfetch'd can only do much to combat that on top of the bad luck. It at least puts up a decent effort until that crit at the end. (Yes, it would have lived that hit otherwise, and then I would have at least been able to kill one more thing with Close Combat before likely losing anyway.)

04. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1451518801-0be3tfjqah3qqihasakldy1aidufw5dpw = Opponent gives up too quickly here, apparently frustrated by Protect or betting it all on Moltres-Galar. (I was Protecting so much to scout for Trick given the utter lack of counterplay that exists to that in Gen 8.)

05. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1451522469-bi83qead1hpj81coqsqj0c4kj1cgwgdpw = ...So of course I get Tricked literally first turn the very next match. (Why are you like this, life? Why?)

06. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1451524678 = Another match where CB Sirfetch'd gets to run amok, as well as prove its decent bulk by being able to tank any hit from Nidoking at full health and cripple it with Knock Off (or suicidally OHKO it on a lucky roll with Brave Bird). That's of course why Hydreigon still takes 50% after it switches into Sludge...Bomb? Also not sure why or how the Azumarill was slower than Celesteela of all things though I had Volcanion alive anyway unlike game 4's stubbornness. (Celesteela being alive at the end does help me force my opponent's hand by Wish-passing to it in what would be a lose-lose scenario for my opponent: if Celesteela lives, it gains back enough health to Leech Seed stall the rest of the team; if the opponent Seismic tosses, then Sirfetch'd comes in for free and cleans up since I can will easily sacrifice something to Chansey to OHKO it in revenge afterward in the likely case Ditto gets thrown under the bus.)

Decide to call it a night there for Monday between the rash of subpar luck as well as finally realizing that for my return, I ended up doing what happens to often with many of my team: using too many special attackers, meaning I'm (far) softer to Chansey's (or Blissey's) stupid self than I would like. I figure need to have a Stealth Rocker that's faster or at least switches in more easily than Nidoking does too. So I take a day to mull over what changes I should make while also doing other things like cleaning up the laptop, letting it rest finally, NaNoWriMo, etc.

Most importantly, the "will this precarious laptop connection actually stay connected" test was a success, surprisingly. Yay.

+Tuesday:

Pax Bisonica! (Sirfetch'd) (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Brave Bird
- First Impression

Why This Change?: At the last moment before I began Tuesday's testing, I decided on Poison Jab on a whim after realizing that Azumarill, Hatterene, and Primarina were all among the bigger problems for my team to deal with otherwise and that even with CB & max attack Adamant, Brave Bird OHKO'd exactly none of them. Besides, I figured that I didn't need Knock Off anyway due to Close Combat Scrappy and that a more offensive team with a back-up First Impression user would necessitate more direct Fairy hate. After all, who needs a degenerately strong Dark attack that's easy to spam, cripples healing on most mons, and eases prediction due to its current utter lack of counterplay, all on your strongest physically attacking mon?

...Wait, what?

:sirfetch:diancie::tapu_bulu::noivern::excadrill::golisopod:
SSRW39 #2 Accidental Twilight (Pls No Celes)
https://pokepast.es/3b60eeaadba9c427

(2011/11/09)
07. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452111129 = Not a good look that I almost get ranched by such an atypical team, though the fact that I accidentally had Sand Rush instead of Mold Breaker on Excadrill certainly didn't help at all. (Funny how the whimsical decision to forego Knock Off immediately backfires.)

08. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452116856 = Double Specs? Really? Anyway, lost due to getting overzealous with Spikes. Sirfetch'd doesn't get to do anything but have its desperate First Impression laughed off by meanie Aegislash. (Also expected Iron Head on Entei but switched in like a dummy anyway due to being away from the metagame for half a year.)

09. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452120269 = Ugh. I hate Rock attacks' innate inaccurate. I really, really do. The opposing team was already a tough match-up for this team that already seems more iffy than the crappy first one, but Rock Slide and Scald were really unhelpful here.

[skip an uninteresting match with Persian, regular Corsola, and Hatterene that my opponent forfeits after Sirfetch'd forcibly changes Corsola into its Galarian self]

10. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452126834 = Return of the stall team that CB Sirfetch'd basically murders by itself. This team still isn't looking too good at all though. (Especially when my opponent is clearly among the newer users--not a knock, just an acknowledgement.)

11. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452131654-2tzr1fu81o78lhfqi8sc0h2t8mssnlbpw = ...People still use AV Conk? (As ironically annoying as it still was despite going in the opposite direction of my usual team comp and having an almost-all physical team accidentally, Flame Orb Conkledurr would have doubtless murdered me, so I'll take it.)

12. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452135349 = At least running into Trick Room wasn't surprising, though amusingly I didn't even realize it until Trick Room was used. Sigh. (Also, where was this hax on my side in earlier matches?)

13. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452139957-kkml9odjrl0br2wf1g2ec8q14e9bavfpw = Ugh. Continue to play stupidly while being more distracted than usual, though I already realized that this team was going to be a bit weak to offensive Celesteela. That's not really what did me in though. Getting Excadrill KO'd was. This match also made me realize that I think I've barely used Body Press on Diancie, so I'll try out Earth Power. (Also realized, once Sirfetch'd was in Nidoking, that the lack of Knock Off screws me over there too. Whoops.)

14. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452144654 = Ironically seems like every mon on his team except for Kommo-o (and Krookodile) was a set-up mon. I don't understand that Nihilego switch at all though.

15. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452147572 = Stumble across a fellow Duck Knight...who dishonors himself both by using Leek, thus relying upon wooing Lady Luck, and worse yet by using the vile churl that is Togekiss, thus cementing his villainy even before he reveals such vile tricks as Freezing twice in a row. Clearly he has no honor. (Also pretty sure that last exchange wasn't a speed-tie since I feel like I win those only 3.14% of the time.)

16. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452153461 = Finally see a Sand team...where Excadrill ends up being the least threatening thing on it. (Ugh. Amoonguss, Celesteela, and Togekiss. What a pain. Safety Googles on Excadrill it is given I was already vaguely considering them.)

[Insert rematch "with the Sirfetch'd guy who now has Leech Seed Comfey and Coil Sandacoil that gets cut short via forfeit when Noivern still outspeeds and Draco Meteors +1 Speed Incineroar--from Flame Charge--since Game Freak hobbled our bara-bait catboy when he evolved" here.]

17. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452159725 = I had to resist very hard to not put a sarcastic "oh no, whatever will I do" in chat when Shell Smash happened. Don't need to bring more bad luck upon me as it is. (Good to know Mamoswine takes CB First Impression like a champ, though not good for CB Sirfetch'd that it does.)

18. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452163343 = Just because I'm me (unfortunately), I chose to deliberately end Tuesday on this anticlimax just because it showcases half the reason I was considering Sirfetch'd a month ago: having a (CB) Close Combat that cleanly 2HKOs Skarmory while also murdering Conkeldurr. (Though I am now reminded that Skarmory for some reason has 70 Speed and is always faster than I think it is, which makes the switch out even odder. Also finally realized that I don't outspeed even max Speed Adamant Conk with present EVs. Hmmm....)

So far this second team seems worse than the first despite being less passive and less vulnerable to both Chansey and Moltres. Still, I figure I'll give it a bit more of a shot on Wednesday though before trying to make yet another new Sirfetch'd team, who just might not be worth it, especially with Latias thankfully gone.

+ Wednesday:

Sword & Shield (Sirfetch'd) (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Brave Bird
- First Impression

Why This Change?: As commented at the end of replay 18 at the end of the above replays for Tuesday, I had finally realized that only 8 Spe, which Speed creeps the standard SubToxic Aegislash, Sirfetch'd was slower than max Speed Adamant Burn Orb Conk, which is...problematic. This especially when I choose Sirfetch'd in part due to the fact that it can OHKO'd Conkeldurr with its STAB Close Combat yet isn't a Scrappy mon that explodes to Guts Burn Mach Punch like Pangoro (or, hell, literally every other Scrappy mon does including Lopunny-Mega). Outside of that, all that changed was giving Mystical Fire to Diancie and Rock Tomb to Excadrill since I figured it would at least Rock Tomb would be more effective against Celesteela's obnoxiousness; besides, you all saw what happened with Rock Slide in replay 09.

(Ironically I don't think I ever missed Diamond Storm during this entire testing except for once.)

:sirfetch:diancie::tapu_bulu::noivern::excadrill::golisopod:
SSRW39 #2.5 Versions of Ourselves
https://pokepast.es/576c080eb0e22aff

(apparently 2021/11/10 got wiped in the first of three battery-related abrupt shutdowns I had to endure this weekend, so luckily for you, that means the commentary here will be far more concise given how long this is taking already. Some of these might be out of order, and I wouldn't be surprised if more than one of these is missing given what happened Sunday--at least one of them definitely is.)

19. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452783525 = In what I think was my first match on Wednesday, run into an interesting Diancie set with on a Thundurus-Therian team whose Focus Blast miss ends up winning me the game just because it lets Noivern live. (I end up forfeiting a rematch against this person like three games later when I starting hax them again just because there was no interesting aspect that game anyway.)

20. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452777808 = Immediately get bodied by another Thundurus-Therian with help from the almost as annoying and deadly Primarina. (Just another day in current UU.)

21. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452787309 = And so begins my expression of (further) doubts about Sirfetch'd and consideration of Haxorus, in part because Primarina is such a pain. (Also three Thundurus-Therians in a row I think. Whee....)

22. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1452794344 = A decent match where still having Safety Googles on, which means I of course never run into Amoonguss again, doesn't quite bite me as hard as it could have. (I also think this is the first Liquidation drop I've got in this test.)

Unfortunately the game where I finally run into SubToxic Aegislash and still OHKO it with Sirfetch'd as intended after the King's Shield drop both didn't survive the first abrupt laptop shutdown and isn't in Replays because of course it isn't. Sigh. A shame since that was a good one to end on too for Sirfetch'd despite Sirfetch'd's underwhelmingness otherwise; let's label that assuredly missing one "23".

:sirfetchd:
Current Viability Ranking = C (at most): Sirfetch'd is one of those mons that seems rather interesting on paper, but is very much less than the sum of its parts unfortunately. It's not even really bad, more just outclassed by the various other things in the meta, and rather prone to 4MSS even with as spammable as STAB Scrappy Close Combat should be even before CB and even before the fact that King's Shield Aegislash still gets OHKO'd by it after the Attack drop. To be fair to it, besides its low Speed, it's main issue is because it doesn't have a good Fairy-netural move to spam like Conk does with Normal-typed Facade. All its coverage either are also resisted by the Fairy type, lock into Poison Jab which isn't an OHKO on the Water/Fairy types (ugh), or murder its own health in the form of Brave Bird, which unfortunately still OHKOs none of the biggest Fairy threats outside of Tapu Bulu, which is faster than it.

If Kommo-o leaves, then Sirfetch'd could maybe have more of a niche by letting it get rid of Brave Bird for Poison Jab perhaps, but it's still a bit of momentum sink despite Scrappy, at least with CB and First Impression together, and Leek is a bit...unreliable. (Thought I think about it, maybe Leaf Blade could be worth using. Hmmm....)

=======

The Haxem Ranger
Haxorus's testing days: Thursday and Friday (2021/11/11 to 2021/11/12)

...Is That Hydrei? (Haxorus) (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab {initially had Rock Slide}
- First Impression

Why Was This Chosen?!: Because I hate myself. Due to wondering just how much First Impression as an anti-meta choice had fallen off without Latias here and due to wanting to remain as offensive as possible, I figured I would give a mon that I basically never touch a try. I was further spurred by wondering how problematic Hydreigon would be for Haxorus this gen given that Hydreigon seems to always be cited as the main reason Haxorus isn't as good as it could be due to Gen 5 introducing both with such trolly speed tiers.

I also wanted an excuse to use two other mons I barely touch, for differing reasons, in the form of Primarina and Mamoswine. I also realized that Mamoswine being my Stealth Rocker means I could screw around with Gastro Acid Seimsitoad once again for the first time in like...three years (ew), so extra incentive there.

:haxorus::primarina::mamoswine::celesteela::rotom-heat::seismitoad:
SSRW39 #3 Hydreigon Envy
https://pokepast.es/eb454663378e9dd0

(2021/11/11)
24. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453482624-n3l8r0w2k8ehgdrq1le02gmpz8vu22gpw = In an inverse of my usual luck, I am somehow immediately rewarded for the seemingly stupid decision of putting Outrage on Haxorus. (I guess I "pay" for it with the low flinch chance from Air Slash, but then my opponent screws themselves over by not paying attention to the Sleep clause after some greed.)

25. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453484487-o3wtb4z75no5hanpe0jqd8fqhpwj00ipw = This was closer than it had to be against Regieleki given I have two freaking Ground types on my end; Nihilego probably should have ended me, but my opponent got scared there for some reason, I guess expecting Choice Scarf Haxorus--ew. (My fellow person of taste showed they had bad taste after all by using Life Orb Haxorus though. /s)

26. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453488140-jvzpg80wepris9bq6fevva7dvdkyi58pw = Not that we needed any more proof Primarina is disgusting, but here it is in lieu of Haxorus doing anything. (Oh Empoleon. Where art thou?)

27. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453488831 = Got too overzealous with Earthquake and in general. Might have won if I had Poison Jab, so I guess I'll try that over Rock Miss which I haven't even wanted to click once yet. (Also beginning to think I should be Adamant Haxorus instead of Jolly.)

28. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453490831 = A much closer match than needed against Team Regi. (Note to self: as predicted, don't use Heavy Slam against the huge mon famous for dragging continents. At least I predicted the Weakness Policy though. Good job for doing the bare minimum once again, me.)

29. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453494815-7x0lbdrrgaksgqoubh56znm5eg4belopw = I feel like my opponent could have potentially won this, especially since basically every move Haxorus can click currently loses momentum and can't be spammed with no Rock Slide now. (Poor guy. Third guy wasn't a charm.)

30. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453497875 = Lose this one but at least Haxorus makes Jirachi pay for its crime of existing immediately. (The closest I'll ever get to justice.)

31. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453500660 = Finally face a Sand team that doesn't get its Excadrill killed immediately and that also has Magne(ton), and it's still...underwhelming, though the early hax in my favor certainly helps. (Of course, Excadrill can't get killed if it never appears, so....)

32. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453502526-f7eej0bhliy1ov4wavb5ziolki8lp8rpw = A thrashing that makes it clear that without Close Combat (or Rock Slide), Haxorus really can't do crap against Skarmory. (Hmmm...who could have possibly seen that coming?)

33. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453507544 = Weird game in general, at least as far as my opponent's team goes at a glance and what I lost to beyond my own incompetence. (At least this game me finally realize I could also use Gastro Acid against Azumarill's annoying self; that's a better strategy than trying to fish for Scald burns.)

34. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453504810-m8bl0fpvusdz74v487obhq6isycu50spw = Non-game really, but it's amusing to see Haxorus exploded by Choice Scarf Primarina of all things. (Also proof of concept for why I'm using Gastro Acid anyway: to neuter Conkeldurr.)

35. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453509989 = A risky play at the end rewarded? What? (Skarmory continues to be a pain in the ass unsurprisingly unlike with Sirfetch'd.)

Haxorus has done surprisingly well so far, though despite all power creep of Gen 5 and its still rather absurd 147 base Attack, it's still been found oddly wanting more power plenty of times with a Jolly nature. So I vow to try Adamant starting on Friday, which will of course mean I immediately run into max speed Jolly Mimikyu and get obliterated; also vaguely considering trying out Never-melt Ice on Mamoswine or switching Stealth Rock to Seismitoad as amusing as Gastro Acid is.

+Friday:

[Insert above Haxorus moveset, but only with Adamant nature here]

Why This Change?: Because I've made a huge, tiny mistake.

[Insert above team here with punny name about Adamant use of Haxorus]

(2021/11/12)
[Insert match where "I hax a Trick Room team with Haxorus, who does very little overall beyond Earthquaking a Bronzong that doesn't even and I keep thinking will Explode and murdering Crawdaunt under Trick Room with First Impression. Still should have probably lost to the random (max speed?) Nihilego with Meteor Beam if that hadn't missed" here.]

36. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454095692 = Outrage is sadly necessary to guarantee an OHKO on Araquanid since even with Adamant, Rock Slide is apparently only a 50% chance. (Haxorus going down so early in this match incidentally made me realize how Grass-weak in addition to a bit slow I've accidentally made the team. Good thing Xurkitree was I guess Scarf'd instead of Life Orb or something.)

37. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454100778 = I am finally made aware that "huh, max Speed Jolly Excadrill is faster than Adamant Haxorus". (Also reminded that meme mon Pikachu is faster than I recall it being.)

[Insert match of getting haxed by a stall team. Fun. At least I am reminded that even with Adamant CB Poison Jab isn't a guaranteed OHKO on physically defensive Primarina's stupid self. Sigh.]

38. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454107406-rgal6jxg2p2c7eb7nvreba2xucy7v79pw = Anticlimatic hax Haxorus ending that at least avoids a miserable slog. (Fighting three Thundurus-Therian in a row again is making me rethink on my opinion on First Impression in this Latias-less meta even more.)

39. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454111654-7v1erlw76xb2fpdrp9xrk6ndu8x8qaypw = ...Yeah, Haxorus is kinda dead-weight with its momentum sink and Adamant largely seems to be worse despite being somewhat necessary to secure OHKOs on a few things even with CB and somehow still failing to secure OHKOs other things even with both. (Also please tell me AV Azumarill isn't becoming a thing. All of the Water/Fairy types are already obnoxious enough as it is.)

I choose to give up on Haxorus too here after Adamant proves to somehow be worse despite the needed power, and so I consider if I should do some other non-CB, non-First Impression mon over the weekend before the deadline for SSRW39 comes around. Luckily, I think I already have a mon in mind that's surprisingly not on the Ranked list unlike the (grand)father of the First Impression nation, Golisopod.

:haxorus:
Suggested Viability Ranking = C- (at most): Sadly, it deserves to have been unranked, though ironically I don't think Hydreigon really has anything to do it with that, at least anymore this gen or at least by any significant degree. Due to access to First Impression, Hydreigon risks OHKO staying on it and thus can't even double into it; the same would have applied to Latias, hilariously enough. It's basically everything else that drags Haxorus down, including it having the one of the most severe instances of 4MSS I've had to deal with in a while, with First Impression only making that worse.

Unlike Sirfetch'd, who can at least click its STAB without having to worry about immunities, Haxorus is made of nothing but moves that can have immunities and Rock Slide--not even Stone Edge. In fact, Haxorus's STAB is its riskest possible move just due to how many good Fairies there are in the meta--unsurprisingly--even before being locked into staying in if you use Outrage and not having enough power with just Dragon Claw. It also unfortunately needs Outrage just to assuredly deal with Kommo-o though. Additionally, despite is still somewhat absurd base Attack, it somehow lacks enough power even with CB, and Skarmory basically laughs at everything it does including CB Close Combat, which seems one of the more difficult moves to fit on it as is despite there being like only two viable Ghosts right now; this is true even with Adamant, which is worse now with Excadrill is here as one of the best mons in the tier.

Maybe Haxorus could be worth retesting if Kommo-o gets banned, but I doubt it. Let's not pretend that the Dragon Dance or Swords Dance sets were ever more than middling even without Hydreigon around. It doesn't even seem like it could really bully Stall anymore with Skarmory in the tier.

=======

Cuter Than Jumpluff
Whimsicott's testing days: Sunday, Sunday, Sunday (2021/11/14)

Mischievous (Whimsicott) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Psychic / Shadow Ball

Why Was This Chosen?: I decided to try this due to a combination of liking Whismicott, being surprised it wasn't put on the VR at all despite haunted paper's humble suggestion, and wanting to continue to be lazy with Choice item testing. It won out over Salazzle and like four other mons, i.e. Bewear, Dragalge, Duraludon, and Qwilfish primarily because I didn't want to think as much or want matches to potentially become slogs, especially due to still needing to catch up for NaNoWriMo. I also figured I would try to further haunted paper's suggestion instead of trying to make some SubSeed team that probably needed Neutralizing Gas Weezing-Galar to have a chance at working.

(If it lazily came in the form of two things I despise the most in the form of [badly] using both VoltTurn and two Regenerators, so be it.)

:whimsicott::rotom-heat::mienshao::swampert::crobat::slowking:
SSRW39 #4 WHAT HAVE I BECOME?!
https://pokepast.es/2024e75c30e99095

(2021/11/14)
{I feel like there are at least two replays that should be there are missing after the crash/shutdown. Hmm.... [this also was rewritten on 2021/11/16, but before Wednesday's missing entry, at like 01:00 A.M.]}

[Didn't bother record my first game with (Specs) Whimsicott since the person timed out on Turn 3 with their Zarude. Shrug. I'll note here that Whimsicott had Shadow Ball starting out, Swampert stupidly had Waterfall starting out, and Slowking had Flamethrower starting out.]

40. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454028770 = Despite getting kinda stomped due to playing poorly, my first actual match at least shows that Rotom-Heat isn't a reliable switch into Choice Specs Whimsicott due its low health: 252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 77-91 (25.4 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

41. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454045008 = Ugh. This is the first time I've lost to Belly Drum Azumarill in a long while, and it was a roll on top of that since despite Whimsicott's frailty +6 Aqua Jet isn't a guaranteed OHKO above 69% health, which is nice. Oh well. (I'm still unsure why Stone Edge from Scarf Jolly Mienshao did more than it should to Salamence. Not that it mattered due to Future Sight, but it's still confusing.)

42. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454057339 = Double ugh. This was a slogfest against Moltres where Whimsicott manages to still do a lot despite Moltres basically walling it. I took another break here I think. (Oh, why don't you get Power Gem, Whimsicott? Also, this is another instance where Toxic on Swampert would have actually helped.)

43. [somehow didn't record a replay where I won a decently hard fought game against an Amoonguss team that put Mienshao to sleep on the first couple of turns, which remained a sleep for the entire match. Figures. I think I might have missed two replays since I feel like something was after this, but now I can't remember due to having to rebuild the 14th's commentary from scratch after two different abrupt shutdowns.]

44. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454190701 = Got bodied by Paralysis: The Team, though at least it was due to being outplayed by. (Also I was finally rudely reminded that Thousands Arrows's brokenness treats Levitate mons as if they're already grounded unlike actual Flying mons.)

45. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454152796 = Despite bemoaning Crobat's lack of offensive power through this testing, including in the commentary of a replay that I currently can't find, it immediately basically wins me this game right after by itself just by virtue of its typing even ignoring the hax, intentional lack of Infiltrator, and inability to really do anything to Celesteela. Granted, it was a combination of Crobat's typing & Roost with Regenerator being a broken ability, but Crobat still did a lot by itself. (I have to wonder if having Taunt on Crobat would have made things easier or ironically screwed me over. At least it would have made things go far more quickly.)

46. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454202229 = Decided it to call an end to it here after getting sick of running into Primarina, especially since Whimsicott can OHKO the Specs version of it--it's just not guaranteed annoyingly. Also didn't want to take a chance of running into Quick Claw Quick Draw Slowbro-Galar again, which remains supremely unfun to play against all these months later to absolutely no one's surprise. (A bit ironic and disappointing to end on another game where Whimsicott explodes first turn and that sort of makes me want Encore with Prankster again given that would shut down NP QCQD Slowbro-Galar.)

:whimsicott:
Suggested Viability Ranking = C (at least): Honestly, I think that's the lowest it should be, but I don't want to put it at even C+ just because C is all haunted paper's initial recommendation was asking for it to be. Despite my bad play and apparently missing replays, Whimsicott definitely has merit just for its Speed, which will remain true even if Kommo-o ends up banned and even if a lot of the time I still wanted Encore--my precious, gives it to us. Being able to outspeed all Waters (due to Barraskewda being OU again) as well as Thundurus-Therian, Zygarde-10%, and most other mons is pretty nice, especially with Whimsicott not being weak to any priority except Ice Shard without Scizor here--thank gods--and having access to U-Turn as well as a bunch of options outside of its rather good STABs. (Though given how many times Energy Ball failed to OHKO, it could really use Leaf Storm.)

Other Whimsicott sets may well also be viable, and I think there's probably merit even in going with Pixie Plate (and Spikes) so that it's even easier to have momentum, but I'm not the person to test that, at least right now.

Ugh. Finally done...almost. Sorry, but I'm apparently channeling Lord of the Rings right now. 20 minute ending sequences for everyone!

1. :sylveon: A nice mon that only has only gotten better with Hydreigon back and some of its more annoying enemies gone even with Excadrill here now. Please use it and Umbreon more.

2. :volcanion: Oddly the mon that I am now the most unsure about of the ones that I used yet were on the outside of my focus, which is ironic since I've always felt it's been underrated this gen but barely used it. It at least has merit with Azumarill and Primarina being such huge pains, and being a Water type with high Defense and neutrality to Grass is also a point in its favor against Tapu Bulu, who is scared out by both its Fire STAB and Sludge Bomb. Boots also help it too. Otherwise...shrug. I feel like I'd need to focusing on testing it far more to form an actual opinion.

3. :diancie: Any mon that incidentally basically walls both Moltres forms and doesn't auto-die to Thundurus-Therian's overpowered self has merit in this current meta. The fact that it can set Stealth Rocks or heal status is nice too, as is its additional coverage this gen. Finally, it's kinda nice to switch into Hatterene just due to Diamond Storm and tanky Mystical Fire if they expect a direct switch to your Steel mon, especially when Diamond Storm also punishes Hatterene for trying to aggressively switch into bounce Stealth Rock back at you.

4. :noivern: This is another mon that also seems like it should be seeing more use again, though ironically if Diancie becomes more popular again, then that is bad for Noivern. Either way, Noivern is helped by the fact that Choice Scarf Hydreigon doesn't seem as common as it used to be last gen, probably due to Mienshao and Zarude being common Scarf mons at present and outspeeding it. Finally, Frisk seems worth using over Infiltrator at present with Aurora Veil teams thankfully dead and with Infiltrator seems to only have real worth against one of the three mons that commonly uses Sub, i.e. Aegislash.

5. :golisopod: "The gun First Impression is good." Besides that, Heavy-Duty Boots help it a lot this gen like they do basically every other mon weak to Stealth Rock, to the point that it can actually use its rather nice bulk now (gasp!) and that Emergency Exit is often a boon at times. Finally, it's just a nice alternate Spikes user with offensive presence, especially since it beats Excadrill unless that has a Rock attack (that hits) or it's low enough to be forced out Emergency Exit that turn.

6. :crobat: Also a rather nice mon right now, but I really wish it had a stronger Poison STAB and/or Insomnia (or Overcoat). I'd even take Poison Jab for the former. If it had one of those things, it would have even more of a niche in Gen 8 UU, and if it had both, then given how utterly irksome Amoonguss is, Crobat likely would haven't ever dropped from Gen 8 UU in the first place, especially since then it would also be freer to switch in against Roserade and Tangrowth.

Ultimate Summation: Of the three, Whimsicott has the most merit in UU's current meta and is the most worthy of further exploration, especially beyond just Specs and especially with Scizor not here. Sirfetch'd and even Haxorus may merit further exploration, however, if Kommo'o gets banned. Finally, Water/Fairy is an overly privileged typing, and Regenerator is a stupid freaking ability that I hope finally get nerfed next gen, but we all already knew that.

Thank you for being held captive for my TED talk.

INTRO: I decided to test Scyther :Scyther: because it is a Mantis so it makes sense. But little did I know that the Mantis would blow me away and show me that Scyther can actually have a legitimate place in today's metagame.

SCYTHER

:ss/Scyther:

SETS USED:

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Dual Wingbeat
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off

SUMMARY: Choice Band Scyther is the only Scyther worth using in today's UU metagame, as the other sets are outclassed by various things. But the immediate power from Choice Band provides a niche that allows Scyther to immediately come in and click buttons. A banded STAB U-Turn provides the strongest physical pivot move in the tier, and a banded STAB Dual Wingbeat OHKO's more pokemon than you'd think, such as Nidoking, Gyarados, etc.

This Scyther absolutely needs a Magneton to go along with it though, as Skarmory and Celesteela are too much to handle. Once Magneton can remove these, Scyther usually has a pretty big advantage against the rest of the team. I also used a team with double removal to ensure I kept rocks off the field, since rocks = bad for Band Scyther. Here is the team makeup I used:

:Scyther: :Zarude: :Magneton: :Tentacruel: :Moltres: :Swampert:

Scyther, Zarude, Swampert, and Magneton provided a pivoting frenzy that I am sure drove some people crazy. Scarf Zarude is a strong partner for Scyther since it provides valuable speed control and another way to lure in Skarmory/Celesteela with a U-Turn into Magneton. I gave Magneton an Eviolite and had it speed creep the Skarm that speed creeps the Conk to ensure it will take it down (without Eviolite it can actually lose to Celesteela). Tentacruel and Moltres provided double removal, while also checking things like Aegislash and Jirachi effectively. Swampert was the defensive backbone that also got up rocks, and a slow flip turn was essential in getting Scyther in against the grasses. Overall the team worked quite well, and my record was somwhere around 45-15 or so using the team.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454170078 - Scyther continuously causes havoc by U-Turning when Tangrowth is out, and Swampert lures it in with Flip Turn.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454179139 - Scyther OHKOs Ninetales with DWB, and also KO's a weakend Venusaur with U-Turn.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454197315 - Scyther actually OHKOs Moltres with DWB, nice "check". Also would have won if it didn't miss DWB on Gyarados but it happens.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1454217024 - Scyther actually somehow does NOT OHKO fully defensive Kommo-o with banded DWB (barely), otherwise it would have just swept this entire team.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1453369674 - Scyther cleans by OHKOing Nidoking and Gyarados, and also finishing off Thundurus.

CONCLUSION: I have a bunch more, but these are enough to get the point across. Scyther is strong, do not sleep on it. It needs a lot of support, so your team will be dictated by what helps out Scyther, but it can have tremendous success if you treat it properly.

OVERALL RATING - B: it is definitely viable in UU, but the team restrictions when using it keep it from rising above a B rank.

so I said I'd try a few mons this time and ended up not using them at all :v I'll talk about the one I feel most strongly about

:ss/entei:
Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Entei has historically been the worst of the legendary doggos, but the addition of Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed to its movepool has elevated it. SF is a pretty spammable move with 100 BP, STAB, and a juicy 50% burn chance, only brought down by its measly 8 PP. Jolly CB Entei hits 493 Attack, so unless something really fat comes in, you're taking at least a lot of chip damage. Flare Blitz is a bit stronger than SF and has more PP. Stone Edge helps deal with Water types and Moltres. Extreme Speed is strong, +2 priority. Inner Focus ignores Intimidate from the likes of Salamence, making chipping it easier.

The biggest downside with Entei is that most of its power comes from CB, which means you don't run Boots, which means you need a reliable means of getting rid of hazards, especially Rocks. Base 115 HP means Entei has some natural bulk, but it's prone to being chipped down itself.

no replays because time and being bad

In conclusion, Entei provides good damage mid-game and is capable of cleaning up weakened teams, and Kommo-o's ban makes it much better, but you can't just slap it on a team. It needs hazard removal support at the very least and can't break through bulky Waters.

I give Entei a B.

thanks BigFatMantis for the head's up, Life Happened and I forgot this was a thing x_x

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
Feel free to delete this but reserving this to post tomorrow (mb bfm)
Might delete this after this post as it's not necessary anymore.
Anyways, mb for taking a while to do it but hope it's still okay! IRL has been quite overwhelming.
--
So I decided to change my mons and test eeveelutions + a couple more mons, ended up testing 3/8 of them, so might edit the post when I test the other 5 eeveelutions (not counting Eevee btw but knowing myself I'm capable to test Eevee even tho it'll fail). So let's start!
I ended up posting about one to rush it, but tested the other two already.
--
:ss/sylveon:
So most of us know what it does, but I've also been playing around Specs and CM sets as well, might do an intro about this and then go to the sets.
--
This mon has a quite good defensive utility that allows it to check stuff such as Hydreigon, Salamence (one of the few fairies that can take Hurricane well), Thundurus-Therian and Mienshao while also offering Wish and Heal Bell support, making it a quite good pick for fatter teams despite it's downfall since Latias and Kommo-O era (though at least it's not lured by Soundproof or Calm Mind anymore), as it's a quite fat mon which can also form cores that can be quite interesting and anti-meta.
--
So we all know this info (and I've talked about it already), but I think it's time to focus on its offensive sets, which are overlooked imo.
--
Let's start with the CM set, so while in this time I have no replays for anything (just want to clarify as the post won't have replays), I've been playing a fair amount with Babiri Wish CM and SubCM. So their niches are very clear as they can abuse meta trends such as Amoonguss being rising again, Jirachi dropping off a little (it shouldn't drop but it's dropping in usage unfortunately), Skarmory being one of the best Pokemon in the UU metagame and Primarina being so common, allowing Sylveon to shine.
--
Q: So why would you use CM :Sylveon: over CM :primarina:?
R: Because Sylveon Sub/Wish CM Mystical Fire Hyper Voice can hit through more stuff with more ease, especially because Mystical Fire allows it to hit through Amoonguss and AV Tangrowth with more ease. WishTect CM is also a quite good set which has been used by Indigo Plateau and it works quite well, as it's a wincon with quite good longevity able to smash teams if the partners manage to remove the steels. Babiri CM Wish + 2a on other hand allows it to smash Steel-Types with +1 Mystical Fire, as it can 2HKO stuff such as Celesteela after chip while also tanking the hit quite comfortably.

TLDR; CM Sylveon has a niche over CM Primarina thanks to it's access to Wish and Mystical Fire, allowing it to be better vs fatter teams with Amoonguss and Power Whip Tangrowth.
--
As for Choice Specs, I've been testing it quite a lot, as I find Hyper Beam Specs to be a quite good niche, allowing it to break holes for stuff such as CM Snore Primarina, Excadrill and Thundurus-Therian while also having a quite good defensive utility as it can pseudo-check Thundurus-Therian and Rotom-Wash. Here's the team I've been using for Specs Sylveon, as while it was painful to build around, it had good results as it can open holes thanks to Hyper Beam and it's quite good MU vs Thundurus-Therian allowing Primarina CM to sweep teams with more ease.
--
As for it's niche over Gardevoir, well, I think this mon niche as a whole is Hyper Beam, as it hits damn hard and opens holes vs fatter teams quite easily, abusing teams using stuff such as Skarmory or Excadrill (especially if chipped) as their Fairy Resist. Gardevoir is underrated as well though don't get me wrong, but the Sylveon Specs niche is there.
--
Overall Rating: B

Will post about the 2 ones I have explored tomorrow as I don't want my draft to be deleted, but cya (those two other eevees are Umbreon and Glaceon btw)

Congratulations to The Damned on winning the past Research Week with the highest ladder score!

:ss/SirFetchd: Since this ancient post back in November of 2021, Sir Fetch'd has seen considerably more usage and has been popularized by prominent players like pokemonisfun , and can be seen on various ladder teams. Though Choice Band was tested here, the high crit rate with Leek has really created a specific niche for it that has earned it a C+ ranking in the UU Viability Rankings!! Perhaps The Damned was a prophet?

:Cresselia: Cresselia was also tested here, and has since seen a lot more usage on various Trick Room teams, with players like Indigo Plateau making a splash with them during this past SCL and creating a trend where many copycat Cresselia TR teams have surfaced on the ladder and on tours. Again, the set here was not a TR set, but was more of a support set that features incredible bulk and status support + Healing Wish. It can definitely be further explored, and Cresselia has since maintained a spot on the UU Viability Rankings.

:Golisopod: Golisopod was also an interesting case here - it sees decent usage on the ladder though not technically UU, yet still does not appear on the Viability Rankings. However, its decent typing and access to Spikes makes it something that can fit certain HO structures, especially as a sort of anti-Excadrill. The Red Card set did not really pan out well, though it was a good idea in theory, but the HDB standard set still provided enough support and power to function as a decent Spiker that can also punish with strong attacks and Knock Off, as well as Priority First Impression.

:Whimsicott: :Haxorus: While Sir Fetch'd was the feature mon for The Damned's winning post, Whimsicott and Haxorus were also tested. Haxorus seemed to fall quite flat, as its immense power often goes checked easily by the sheer number of mons in the tier that are immune to most of its strong moves (Fairy-types for Outrage, Floaties for EQ, Aegislashes for Close Combat). First Impression seems like a fun gimmick, but there are other things that can typically do Haxorus's job better. Whimsicott, on the other hand, was quite mischievous and could easily be seen giving opposing teams a hard time. Though it's not an All Star UU Pokemon by any means, it can have its moments. Its Speed Tier, which outspeeds Azelf and Zydog, makes for an interesting offensive option with access to U-Turn. Though it is easily walled by things like Moltres and Rotom-H, you can build your team around those issues so as to make Whimsicott thrive.

:Scyther: Scyther had a lot of success (no bias here clearly) and imo deserves to be ranked SSS+++. It still, however, is not on the VRs, and the usage of it on the ladder has since dropped after 2022 started, likely due to the surge of Fast Offense which makes Scyther look like a bit of a slog. I do think it still has merit on some teams as long as you have good Speed control elsewhere though, and the fact that it can punish Skarmory/Steela by turning into Magneton, while having offensive prowess to overpower Amoonguss and Tangrowth, give it a good edge over some other breakers in the tier. Need to remove rocks though.

:Entei: :Sylveon: For some other mons tested (without replays though), Entei has remained on the VRs since this week started, and with good reason as can be seen here. Given that most of the tier's physical walls are weak to Fire, a CB Entei wreaks havoc on most teams, especially under Sun. HDB sets unfortunately lack the same power, but having your main breaker be able to threaten Skarmory, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth, is very threatening. Finally, Sylveon was tested here as an alternative to Primarina, with a Choice Spec set. Pixilate Hyper Beam is very interesting, while access to Psyshock and Mysical Fire can more easily threaten Amoonguss and Tangrowth. It can also run a Wish Tect set, though Jirachi seems to do this set a bit better while also being able to pivot out. Overall, Sylveon can work in UU if you want it to, but it makes building a bit hard so you will generally have an easier time building with something else.

And that's your summary for this past Research Weeek from 2+ months ago! As mentioned earlier before that week started, we were going to revamp Research Week with some new rules and mechanics to make it more fun and engaging for everyone. After much discussion and preparation, we have settled on what to do with it, so stay tuned for a new update very soon!

Welcome to UU Research Week 2022 - Presenting the UU Research Wing!
1644255344800.png

Art by Pissog

The halls of the long-awaited, under-construction Smogon UU Research Wing have finally opened up to the public! Researchers, professors, and Pokemon UU Masters are all needed to create a diversified UU Research establishment! All members are encouraged to contribute to the new Research Weeks posted here for a chance to earn points and move up the UU Research Wing hierarchy! Every research post you make earns points, not just winning the week, so you can now contribute in any way you wish without being constrained by "rules" and "laddering" and "research alts" (though those are all still encouraged).

Here is a rundown in list format:

The UU Research Wing

Dean of Education: KSt3ve
Dean of Development: BigFatMantis

Honorary Deans of Science and Technology (400 points):
(n/a)

Faculty Department Heads (200 points):
(n/a)

Tenured Professors (100 points):
(n/a)

Adjunct Faculty (50 points):
(n/a)

Research Assistant (25 points):

(n/a)

-
-

Points system:
  • Posting any Research Week findings post: +5 points
  • "Winning" Research Week (i.e. getting the highest ladder score with your research alt during the week): +10 points
  • Making an "exemplary effort post" (contains detailed set, description, pros, cons, good teammates, and findings supported by several replays): +10 points
  • Insightful Commentary on another Researcher's post (not just a one-liner, but something meaningful, at least 5 sentences, use of their actual team/set w/ a replay encouraged): +5 points (can only get this +5 bonus once per week, so does not stack if you respond to 10 different people)

So if you get a "perfect week" you could potentially get +30 points right away! But no matter what, as long as you keep participating, you will always keep moving up! (note: all other aspects of Research Week are the same as they have always been, the basic structure is unchanged)

Good luck to all aspiring professors, researchers, faculty, and test tube revolutionaries! The new week will be up in a couple days or less or more.

Hello ALL ! It's been so long. As Mantis say, we are coming back with a new points system.

Week 40 ! Let's start this week with 2 big underrated threats of UU :

Vanilluxe @ Choice Specs
Ability: any
IVs: any
-
-
-
-

Conkeldurr
Ability: any
IVs: any
- Bulk Up
-
-
-

Vanilluxe made its appearance in the ladder with the Choice Specs set. To the lack of solid ice resistance on the special in the tier is added Vanilluxe's talent, Snow Warning, allowing him to hit very powerful Blizzards but his access to Freeze-Dry allows him to punish pokemons like Primarina.
Conkeldurr Bulk Up is a very rare but very powerful pokemon, able to absolve a psychic of Azelf with 252 in Spdef. A set with spdef + its access to bulk up allows it to pass all the physical walls of the tier. His Guts talent allows him to punish a Slowing scald or an Amoonguss poison.

New :

ZAPDOS-GALAR

:Zapdos-Galar:

SETS USED:

Zapdos-Galar @ z
Ability: Defiant
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Zapdos shows it is the bravest bird")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Zapdos fails to be anything more than fried chicken")

-

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW40 Draconic or SSRW40 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
This week will end on Fev 14 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)