Resource SS PU Viability Rankings

TTK

Won't Catch Me Lacking.
is a Community Contributor
Hi there. Your inquiry is more something that belongs in here but i'll answer your question by saying Spiritomb is outclassed as a Ghost-type and Sableye cannot really handle the meta's landscape when fairy types are particularly good and there's a lot of strong mons both physical and special and it just can't keep up. As a fighting check, it's also just outclassed

After years of being registered here but not posting anything at all, I guess I will finally nominate a mon.

How is :corsola-galar: not ranked at all? To my experience it's actually a pretty good Pokémon, it walls a ton of things (Mainly physical threats like Scyther and Tsareena.), traps and kills a handful of mons (Mainly hazard setters like Garbodor), great defense stats, (Without Eviolite it still has higher defenses than defensive pivots like Aromatisse) and a good defensive typing.

Strength Sap works on it beautifully and because of it it's not as crippled by Knock Off and one would think it is, and with it, it has the potential to beat otherwise losing matchups like Absol (Without SD), Guzzlord, and Scrafty.

Disable Body is great, Scalds don't nearly have the same effect as it and they both have the same amount of % of activating. If you play your cards correctly you can trap and disable a choiced mon and they'll die to struggle, it's rare, but it gives Corsola more of a fighting chance against Choiced users (Mainly Band, Corsola doesn't take kindly to Specs users.)

I suggest putting it at atleast B-, unfortunately, it has some significant drawbacks to prevent it from being up there witht the best, it can't beat Passimian and Gigalith 1v1, it hates being poisoned, it's easy setup fodder for Special Mons and absolutely cannot touch Heliolisk.

Of course I've got the replays, it's not at its true potential, here but I think it showcases it's capabilities as a wall and trapper well and has been at the center of many late-game forfeits;

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1353894941
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1353925628-7w43b7u23ccm5twon951memeye2omrkpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1353927820
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1354293879
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1354327573-lnb777p4e13yfwd0tbcirud7kiwbca6pw

I believe in :corsola-galar: supremacy, it 100% has its place in the tier.

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
After years of being registered here but not posting anything at all, I guess I will finally nominate a mon.

How is :corsola-galar: not ranked at all? To my experience it's actually a pretty good Pokémon, it walls a ton of things (Mainly physical threats like Scyther and Tsareena.), traps and kills a handful of mons (Mainly hazard setters like Garbodor), great defense stats, (Without Eviolite it still has higher defenses than defensive pivots like Aromatisse) and a good defensive typing.

Strength Sap works on it beautifully and because of it it's not as crippled by Knock Off and one would think it is, and with it, it has the potential to beat otherwise losing matchups like Absol (Without SD), Guzzlord, and Scrafty.

Disable Body is great, Scalds don't nearly have the same effect as it and they both have the same amount of % of activating. If you play your cards correctly you can trap and disable a choiced mon and they'll die to struggle, it's rare, but it gives Corsola more of a fighting chance against Choiced users (Mainly Band, Corsola doesn't take kindly to Specs users.)

I suggest putting it at atleast B-, unfortunately, it has some significant drawbacks to prevent it from being up there witht the best, it can't beat Passimian and Gigalith 1v1, it hates being poisoned, it's easy setup fodder for Special Mons and absolutely cannot touch Heliolisk.

Of course I've got the replays, it's not at its true potential, here but I think it showcases it's capabilities as a wall and trapper well and has been at the center of many late-game forfeits;

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1353925628-7w43b7u23ccm5twon951memeye2omrkpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1354327573-lnb777p4e13yfwd0tbcirud7kiwbca6pw

Corsola-G has significant issues as for why it is not ranked at all, at least in two ways:

1. Severe Ghost Competition :Froslass: :Jellicent: :Cofagrigus: :Runerigus:
Pokemon like Froslass can completely shut down stall Pokemon like Pyukumuku and Tangela, and is considerd to be one of the premier ghost types in the tier. Froslass is able to take two approaches by being a fast attacker via choice band/specs, or by a suicide spikes. Froslass can work around G-Corsola via taunt, trick, or even attacking it, as G-Corsola has trouble damaging opponents barring night shade or status.
Jellicent also has Strength Sap, Will-o-Wisp, Night Shade and Hex, in addition to a helpful water typing.
Cofagrigus, while it doesn’t sport Strength Sap, functions as a better wincon because of how more immediately threatening it can be with the combination of Iron Defense and Body Press. Cofagrigus may have lower defenses without eviolite, but its better offensive presence alongside a more welcoming movepool and ability to run more sets means that it would be significantly easier to slot on more builds, be it balance or stall builds. The same goes for Runerigus, which sports higher defense and attacking stats even if it’s more vulnerable to attacking types.
All of these ghost types sport higher offensive and defensive presence, in addition to being capable of having more set diversity.
2. How Much Support it Needs
Most of the tier will usually find a way to pivot, set up on it, or simply outright KOIng it in front of its face. Corsola-G needs all the special attackers to be gone, its eviolite to be retained in order for it to function as a wall, not be statused by toxic, all the taunt users gone, healing support, and other ghost types to be taken care of before it can sufficently wall stuff. The amount of leverage it needs from its teammates means that it is more often than not a liability for teams. The myriad of special attackers, like Toxicroak, Exeggutor-A, Mespirit, Magmortar, and Heliolisk can all work around it easily. Taunt users like Qwilfish and Weezing can put a stop to it while laying down their hazards with ease. Heck, pokemon you mentioned like Scyther and Tsareena isn’t completely ruined by its whirlpool set, as they possess U-turn to pivot to another teammate, like a special attacker like Charizard. These are some reasons why other physical walls like Cofagrigus being present in far more teams, unfortunately.

A lot of the replays also feel like they preyed on the opponent’s lack of MU inexperience, as most of them either didn’t have special attackers, or allowed their team to get worn down by reckless stay-ins, have unviable Pokemon (e.g. Eiscue/Wartortle), not recognizing the proper checks/counters, or some combination.

Corsola-G should absolutely be ranked atm as it's one of the few pokemon who wall Exeggutor-Alola. Draco and Leaf Storm do about half HP to max HP/S Def Corsola and it can use Strength Sap to heal reliably.

With hazard support (particularly Toxic Spikes to boost Hex, these help vs Exeggutor-Alola in general!) it's a very handy wall. C+. Maybe B-.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Passimian S to A+

When You think about taking fighting stab in this tier, You really think more about non locked knock, toxicroak, scatfty, a mach punch/bullet user, or spinner. By checking any of these other mons You have also checked Passimian, who loses as lead generally or has to eat rocky helmet damage and other than the chans is one of the least switch in able fighting mons, tho it does takes knock intendedly and wreak vally steel a top 3 defogger, then has to risk being thrown away to spook out charzard/vally fairy/ghost and which point did You opt out of the other fighting types, cause pass+another fighting type doesn't feel nearly as clean as gen 7 fighting spam.

giga runs protect, sandaconda is a straight up beast, fairies every where, ghosts don't mind popping off hazards/T.R., under whelming speed tier for a scarf. it can easily becomes folder for Your team if You confirm a ko and they do have a set-up bulky psychic, ghost, fairy.

It just comes off as a very thinly spread mon in a tier packed with more specialized fighting types, I don't think it belongs in S

Corsola-G is worthy of C-(C is to bloated), it does have an impactful niche and tank faces extra hard

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Corsola-G should absolutely be ranked atm as it's one of the few pokemon who wall Exeggutor-Alola. Draco and Leaf Storm do about half HP to max HP/S Def Corsola and it can use Strength Sap to heal reliably.

With hazard support (particularly Toxic Spikes to boost Hex, these help vs Exeggutor-Alola in general!) it's a very handy wall. C+. Maybe B-.
That's not really how it works in practice. For one, Modest Specs Draco does about 50% at minimum and does this much over 2 turns:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exeggutor-Alola Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Corsola-Galar: 245-290 (75.6 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As Corsola-G is naturally vulnerable to hazards, any team that can keep at least one layer up can immediately threaten a roll for a 2HKO, and even if it does not 2HKO, Strength Sap does not recover back enough health so next time you are definitely in range for a 2HKO. Other complicating factors are the fact that the Eggy user can decide to switch into a Pokemon with low base Attack to minimize the amount of health it recovers, again putting it in range for a 2HKO next time Eggy comes in. This is also of course contingent on Eggy being Specs, a non-Specs set with Synthesis can simply sit on Corsola and keep clicking Giga Drain/Flamethrower to chip it while Strength Sap recovers less and less every turn. As an aside, I also would not recommend running Hex as it is pretty weak even when boosted, the Night Shade + Whirlpool set posted in the original nomination is probably the closest to a viable set.

With that being said, I also don't think a relatively good Corsola-G set is good enough to warrant a ranking. To be sure, it may just randomly wall teams on ladder, but there are a lot of obstacles that prevent it from being remotely consistent. Looking at common threats that are highly ranked, Corsola-G is basically helpless against quite a few of these. Heliolisk was already mentioned, but in addition to that, Charizard can simply come in on Corsola, Roost any damage off when necessary, Defog if it tries to get SR up, and basically put Corsola out of commission if it hits a Toxic - yes, cleric support exists, but few clerics can be viably run and having to find opportunity to click Heal Bell makes for a great momentum suck. Wish Togedemaru with Toxic is another example of something that just sits on it, at most being annoyed by Will-o-Wisp. Shed Skin Scrafty is another common threat that just does not really care about Corsola, as it simply uses the poor thing as setup fodder and Rests off any damage or status Corsola may throw at it. Rest Sandaconda, basically same thing. Xatu has also been on the rise and is an especially painful case as Corsola just completely fails to do anything at all in those matchups.

Essentially, for any team built with any kind of longevity in mind, Corsola just ends up being too exploitable and passive to be worth the trouble. It does not threaten most well-structured teams and fails to keep hazards up vs several common forms of hazard control while necessitating both good hazard control and cleric support in order to not succumb to the threats you're trying to check with it in the long run. At most I could see it having a tiny niche on stall teams, but even these would much rather use something like Palossand instead because it is more threatening, has more helpful resists, and has more reliable recovery. The benefits of running Corsola-G simply do not outweigh the costs.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:magmortar: magmorterrible a -> b+ this mon seems p bad tbh, finds next to no opportunities to switch in, the advantages of it over zard are quite minimal since focus doesnt even do that much to Gigalith while you lose all of zard's utility; recovery, fighting resist, removal, etc. it also just... doesn't really switch into anything? the mons whose attacks it resists, like togedemaru and whimsicott, just uturn on it. seems really bad to me

:sandaconda: sandaconda a- -> a+ yo what why is sandaconda in a-??? this mon is excellent defensively, spreading para and taking advantage of the few grass-types in the tier; most teams will only have 1 mon that switches solidly into sanda, particularly if rock slide, and sanda can check multiple mons on basically any given team. eggy-a comes in on u, sure, but that alone isnt worth putting it in a-. coil sandaconda is the 2nd best long-term wincon in this tier, the best being bu scrafty. just like whimsi is unable to handle scrafty for an entire match, sending eggy-a in on hazards (particularly in spikes: the meta) repeatedly can let sandaconda win in the end. (or u can be cool and tech dragon rush on it)

a+ right now is weird:
- archeops/whimsicott/scrafty/togedemaru: meta defining pokemon
- toxicroak: big threat but really doesnt see that much use relative to the others, being naturally checked by stuff like garbo/spdef invested sanda/zard is a pain and the tier's lack of bulky waters means it doesnt find that many opportunities to come in. still a big threat tho!
- guzzlord and ribombee, which are also both good but not meta defining to nearly the same extent.

i think some of these mons at the bottom of my list could move to A, or some near the top could move to S. particularly scrafty (goat) or maybe whimsicott.

agree with Passimian -> a+ (if no other are moved to S), Pass is def good but feels almost identical in viability to archeops/whimsicott/scrafty/togedemaru

of the mons outside of A ranks, I think :druddigon: druddigon (b+) is most viable, could possibly move to a-

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Togedemaru should be S ranked. When building PU I’ve found it to be one of best Pokémon on the tier because of its incredible role compression. Steel is the best defensive typing in the game and for good reason too. In this tier, having a Steel type is hella good in order to easily check stuff like Whimsicott/Mesprit/Ribombee which Togedemaru excels at. If you compare it to the other Steels in this tier, having Wish as recovery means it’s not really harmed by Spikes being everywhere and taking repeated attacks from these Pokemon chipping it down compared to things like Steelvally and Aggron which would need a cleric to not be overwhelmed. Other than being great defensively Togedemaru’s U-turn is excellent for generating momentum especially in a fast paced metagame like this one, and LightningRod means you can use it as a Ground (Volt Switch absorber). The fact that so much can be covered in the builder by simply slapping a Togedemaru in a slot which gives you a Steel, Electric immunity, cleric/speed control and momentum generator in one is what makes me feel it’s better than the A+ ranked Pokemon and is at least as good as Passimian. If the A+ rank gets revamped then I suppose that’s okay too.

Garbodor should also move to A+. Rocky Helmet/Aftermath is simply nasty when it comes to chipping things down alongside being an excellent spiker. It can threaten pretty much every form of removal well aside from Articuno, since the rest of them either hate coming in on Gunk Shot (Charizard Tsareena Xatu Fairyvally) or dislike Stomping Tantrum (Steelvally). Aftermath + Rocky Helmet is also really efficient at serving as a check to the SDvallies after a bit of chip which would otherwise be hard to come by. It’s just a pokemon that’s been really good because of how effective spikes generally are combined with its solid defensive utility. Weezing is another Poison Pokemon that should be rising in terms of splashability. It’s a pretty good slot that gives teams a solid answer to some top tier threats like SDvallies, Passimian, Garbodor, Togedemaru, Archeops, and Lycanroc. Toxic Spikes are a pain in the ass considering the main absorbant (Garbodor) gets burned by Will-O-Wisp and the Defoggers hate being statused as well. Could probably argue Lanturn for A- as well because they’re similar in their splashability and what they do but I don’t really have as much experience with that one.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
We'll be having a VR update sometime after the suspect, just wanted to give everyone the heads up. I had said in council chat that I would love to clean out the C ranks a bit, so if anyone has opinions on the mons there we'd love to hear it.

Some of the candidates for me to nuke are:

:butterfree: Butterfree: I don't think I've ever seen a team where you can fit this on, and it doesn't really do its breaking/sweeping job even remotely as consistently as the other QD mons. Ribombee has a better defensive typing and is naturally faster allowing it to not have to +1 to be faster than say Heliolisk, Arch, Charizard which all get in the way of Butterfree QD'ing in the first place. Frosmoth on the other hand, while not being a top threat at least blanket checks a ton of shit because of its ability, and forces in much more because of the pure breaking power at +0. With 80% of teams running one of Scarf Toge or Pass it's just extremely hard for it to do much of anything. You might get off that sleep > QD > QD/Tinted lens Hurricane ect, but I don't see this happening enough to where it should be ranked anymore. Someone prove me wrong though

:combusken: Combusken: Another mon I haven't seen on a team in a year, I just don't see why I would use it. It doesn't hit hard enough to justify trying hard to build around and get your speed boosts going. The best thing it has going for it is set variety and maybe SD T-Punch for Charizard but you're giving up so much and we don't have enough bulky waters that this set would do well even if you didn't face Charizard. You only have so many move slots, T-spikes aren't in a good spot at all so no Protect lefties sub shenanigans to go around. I have no clue what this would do at the moment, but I'd love to hear if ppl agree or disagree on this.

:ludicolo: Ludicolo: God I have loved this mon at times but haven't been able to run it since Kingdra(?) The one thing I could maybe cling onto is that Water Grass Ice coverage is no joke, but you have to get so many turns right to get enough value of of it. God forbid you face a Gigalith which can just about 1v1 you with protect and sand chip. You never 2 hit KO it with Hydro in sand if they have Protect, so these are more turns you have to get right (Hydro/Giga on Blast predicting Rain, Rain on Protect predicting Hydro/Giga) Ludi might get a kill a game but I really don't think it has much potential anymore. It's good on paper but nobody runs it and I totally get why

:slowpoke: Slowpoke: This was such a cool mon but it had its run. Talon was the biggest thing that enabled Slowpoke to me, especially being able to get in Virizion. But these mons aren't in the tier anymore, and maybe you could do some Teleport into Eggy (if it stays) type stuff. Idk, I don't have much faith with Grass and Dark being such common types. Maybe this isn't the last we've seen of Slowpoke though, I wouldn't be one to complain!

:orbeetle: Orbeetle: Orbeetle just sucks. We have much better web setters, the dual boosting set is inconsistent and outclassed by Xatu (though Xatu is leaving I still have no faith we will see Orbeetle take over that role). It is never threatening for at least 3 turns of being in, has a pretty awful defensive typing, wants too many items and moves, doesn't fit on teams because of the bad typing and lack of any utility if it is trying to do its main role of setting up. I've tried extremely hard to make it work and it just doesn't :[

That is the end of my full on noms down. I haven't formed full on opinions of these next mons, so any discourse about them would be cool:

:persian-alola: Persian-Alola: Why would I really use Persian-Alola? I don't really see it. You shut down some physical threats but don't really switch in on much in the meta. Every Psychic type is running some sort of coverage for Dark because of Scrafty and Guzz. The speed tier is nice though and Parting Shot is great when you aren't facing Regirock. Give me your thoughts please, I'm leaning towards wanting it off the rankings but yea

:thievul: Thievul: The main reason I haven't formed a full opinion on Thievul is because things might change come Guzz leaving and a potential Eggy ban. Less Fairys and one less Dark type is extremely good for Thievul, however it is so bad in its current state I'm quite skeptical. It's too slow and it only really "traps" in very specific match ups where they for some reason don't have a Dark resist. Even with Guzz and potentially Eggy leaving, do you really even want Thievul on your team? The only way you aren't just giving Scrafty set up is banking on getting the turn right with the extremely niche Play Rough or the good move but way less reward in U-turn. Thievul has been doing terrible but I would probably like to see if the meta ahead is any good for it, since on paper maybe you might actually be able to throw it on a team

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Just commenting on recent noms. I guess this post gets a bit rambly perhaps but I tried to be concise. I would do some extra noms of my own but there aren't a lot of noms I could make in confidence rn especially with the meta shifting soon.

:magmortar: A -> B+: Agree, I'd honestly even bump it down to B. You don't really see it very often at all and for good reason, cause it's simply difficult to justify putting on teams when it brings little defensive utility while being pretty mediocre as a breaker. On paper it's hella threatening with its coverage and power, but unlike other difficult-to-fit but threatening breakers like Gallade, Absol, and Centiskorch (all B+ rn), it only remains threatening on paper in a lot of cases because people are naturally prepared for it. Between common mons like Lanturn, bulky Zard, and Gigalith, many teams will often have multiple checks that prevent it from reliably making progress, and unlike its main competition in offensive Zard, it lacks recovery and therefore doesn't have as much luxury to get a prediction wrong or miss a Fire Blast/Focus Blast. Demoting it a full rank may seem harsh but it's been a long time coming and it probably was initially overrated to begin with because we were still thinking of the threat it was back in SM, but this gen simply isn't the same meta and Magmortar has not really been able to find a place in it.

:sandaconda: A- -> A+: Agree, I guess? Eggy-A being banned should free this thing up a lot as it no longer has to run stupid moves like Dragon Rush, so in that regard a bump to A at least is warranted. Right now I think its main issue is Xatu shutting it down as a rocker, but since the bird is set to leave with the next shift I expect the SR set to rise back to the top of the meta. Coil has also seen a lot of usage lately and is just an excellent set, very customizable in terms of EVs and also moveset to a degree, for example Ktut used a 3 attacks set with Scale Shot in PUPL yesterday and it just cleaned up. I think the only question really is which defensive Ground ends up being better, as :palossand: likely will enjoy more usage in the wake of Eggy's ban, but at the moment I feel like Sanda comes out on top due to its Coil sets and its ability to freely spam Glare (once Xatu is out of the way).

:garbodor: A -> A+: I think this is fair. Spikes are actually really good in this meta as Boots spam is not super common and many bulky mons will be chippable with hazards, and Garbodor just does Spikes support the best by far. Poison type is excellent defensively, especially in a meta with a lot of powerful Fighting types running around, and it just finds itself fitting pretty naturally on a lot of defensive cores imo. Not much more to say about it.

re: S/A+ ranks: My gut feeling tells me :passimian: is still an S rank threat and it definitely feels that way in the builder when building more offensive teams, as Scarf Pass is just incredibly tough to deal with if you don't have a bulky resist. At the same time, the meta has adapted to it with mons like Garbodor gaining way more usage since it originally got placed in S. Losing Eggy also sucks for it as Pass loses out on a great offensive partner that took advantage of counters like Palossand and Weezing, so I suppose at this point A+ probably is a more fair ranking for it. :togedemaru: and :whimsicott: are both great mons and in the top of A+ because of how splashable they are but neither really strike me as S rank, since they often want to do more throughout a match than they can accomplish with their lacking natural bulk. :scrafty: is I think the closest thing to an S rank mon in A+, the BU set just offers a ton of utility - useful resistances, Knock to force progress vs a lot of teams, status absorption - and it often finds itself outlasting checks like Whimsicott in longer games. That being said, I wouldn't mind if :charizard: was the only S rank as we currently don't have a lot of mons that really go above and beyond compared to other top threats. I do think in terms of current A+ mon :guzzlord: could get bumped down as I just find that it struggles to stay healthy in longer matches unless it runs RestTalk or is paired with Aromatisse (bad), for what's often regarded as a gluemon I don't find that it's really that easy to fit on teams currently as teams rn favor longevity which Guzzlord doesn't really bring.

re: C ranks: I basically agree with all of Specs's noms. We saw :combusken: achieve a minor degree of success in a PUPL game but I don't think it necessarily should have gotten the opportunity to do so and I think without Protect it really struggles to gain enough speed to clean lategame, while without SD of course it just lacks power and struggles to break past Zard or any decently bulky physical wall. :persian-alola: is something I do feel can stay ranked, I've built with it a bit and while I didn't end up liking the builds enough to use them in tournament play I do think it provides some useful things. Ghost resists are rare and the ones we do have tend to be very slow, Persian can deal with niche breakers like CB Froslass and Trevenant while being fast and capable of generating momentum, Knocking items etc. Another boon is that with Foul Play it can deal somewhat well with SD Vally sets other than Fairy. It's by no means fantastic but it's good enough to stay ranked imo compared to some of the other things we have ranked. Some things that I feel could be more likely candidates for an unranking are :drifblim: :swoobat: :exeggutor:. The former two are exclusively ranked because of their roles on terrain teams but aside from the doubtful efficacy of such a playstyle I also just don't feel like these sweepers in particular are prone to do any sweeping? Blim is just endlessly annoyed by stuff like Gigalith and the same goes for Swoobat, also both need Substitute to boost their speed which leaves them wanting for coverage etc. As for Eggy, its Alolan counterpart may now be gone but I feel like it just doesn't really have much of a place in the meta, or at least I'd need someone to demonstrate it being good and worth using over other Grass types.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.

Ivy to B-

You want boosted N.P. fire poison coverage cause it melts basically everything? Ivsysaur offers it, excellent stab, speed, and bulk like inverted eggy eggy. Unlike shiftry it doesn't lose to priority and has many set-up targets. As a butter knife there just isn't another that offers the same besides specs, solar power, char.

With how popular stall is right now, ivy has a lot of potential to not even need full sun, just 2 turns of growth/weather ball to worry about any speed threats

+1 252+ SpA Ivysaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 164-194 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Ivysaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing in Sun: 317-373 (94.9 - 111.6%) -- 68.8%

252 SpA Ivysaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Togedemaru in Sun: 306-360 (112.9 - 132.8%)

+2 252 SpA Ivysaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Silvally-Steel in Sun: 352-416 (89.3 - 105.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Ivysaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 330-390 (81.2 - 96%)
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 273-322 (67.2 - 79.3%)
252 SpA Solar Power Charizard Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse in Sun: 328-387 (80.7 - 95.3%)

252 SpA Ivysaur Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Pyukumuku: 170-204 (54.1 - 64.9%)
252 SpA Life Orb Ivysaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Pyukumuku: 140-166 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

If You run Timid it speed ties with scarf toge, modest is really nice and it does come shy of some important Kos modest would correct, and life-orb is also an option if You aren't worried about bulk

Ivsysaur to B-, it just outclasses shifty from experience, tho life Orb growth/SD knock does not play around

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1370162812

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1370168529-oes4ge7l2fdq2p24fs5b7lynk0d6vkcpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1370171685-kmvfbzel8z6xx9u7ypzv0gfeicifvrdpw
destroys near 1400 sand

INSANE CARZY GUY vs. drose100 - Showdown! (pokemonshowdown.com)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1370536040-2uopd6fep4epxid64p1d3dhqidilxjkpw
Barely lost to stall playing rng stall of growth/giga with pku, non issue if ivy was modest or had solarbeam

Also Aromatisse should be at least A- with the loss of toxicroak/guzz it has soo much more leg room

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I don't see how Ivy can be that high with Gigalith being a pretty hard wall to it and the tier not really having any good Sun setters that aren't suicidal (so Ivy needs 2+ team slots to function).

Somewhere in the C ranks suits it better imom
I play against sand teams in my replays, giga can't ko ivy back losing the 1 v 1.

We have uxie, mes, sable, drud, argon regi and claydol, all mons that can come in and set sun more than once, I haven't even tried the suicide lead options yet peaking at 1450

It's a beast of breaker/sweeper more consistent than qwilfish with a much better match-up against the stall heavy meta, it might not last till next drop but B- is well deserved

Gigalith doesn't need to stay in. It comes in, messes up your weather and maybe tanks an unboosted hit. Then switches out.

I'm impressed by the replays, but I don't quite see it in B- when it's dependent on suicidal weather setters, but Gigalith can reset the weather on it a dozen times.

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I play against sand teams in my replays, giga can't ko ivy back losing the 1 v 1.

We have uxie, mes, sable, drud, argon regi and claydol, all mons that can come in and set sun more than once, I haven't even tried the suicide lead options yet peaking at 1450

It's a beast of breaker/sweeper more consistent than qwilfish with a much better match-up against the stall heavy meta, it might not last till next drop but B- is well deserved
:Shiftry:
I don’t think the replays or reasoning really showcased Ivysaur’s potential. While it is a sun sweeper, sun struggles to find its place in PU. Even so, Shiftry (not to mention competition with :Exeggutor:, :Leafeon:, and even :Maractus:) is a better sweeper for the role, since it can run priority via Sucker Punch, mixed coverage with heat wave, and having powerful STABs in Knock Off and Solar Blade. Shiftry also has more power right off the bat, since its base 100 attack/90 special attack outclass ivysaur’s base 80 special attack, as well as shiftry’s base 80 speed crucially out speeding more forces than ivy’s base 60 speed. The toxic immunity and eviolite-boosted bulk is nice, but a lot of attackers can still overpower it, like :G-Articuno: (and most generally bulky flying types), fire types (:Charizard:, :centiskorch:), tanks (:Weezing:), and psychic types (:mespirit:). This is problematic, since if you can't hit hard enough right off the bat, like struggling to make progress against Pokemon like :Articuno: or :Altaria: or being revenge killed by priority users like :Kangaskhan:, you'll have a Pokemon that'll be really hard to justify over other attackers (especially in a niche archetype). A lot of scarfers like :Passimian: and :heliolisk: can still easily outspeed and revenge KO even in the sun, which is even more disappointing. Ivysaur also runs solar beam in order to deal more damage, since the amount recovered with giga drain won't be enough when a pokemon that's fast or tanky will just swat it away.

The first replay had some plays where the opponent could've done better. His team was filled with water/grass weaknesses, made the mistake of switching Articuno-G, and trying to set up with Mespirit, and the opponent wasn't a high rated player - Ivysaur got to clean up, but I don't think this replay really represents anything exemplary.
The second replay was more of Charizard doing all the work, and feels like a counterpoint - Ivysaur struggles to do anything outside of sun, something other grass types, like Shiftry, Exeggutor, and Leafeon can prove. It dealt with non-soak pyuk, but that's about it. Whimsicott running a Chlorophyll set also feels like a waste - it could put its more generally useful abilities in prankster and infiltrator, since it's already blisteringly fast. Unless one is extremely desperate to outspeed stuff like Scarf passimian, i'd rather select something like leafeon to do it.
The third replay features a niche archetype against a niche archetype. The opponent allowed Ivysaur to basically walk all over his team, since his team had six weaknesses. Could've included :Stoutland: as a way to "patch up" that but..
The fourth replay is broken...
Fifth replay again showed how much ivysaur struggled to break through pokemon like :weezing: and even Pyuk (not to mention on a bad set). It simply doesn't hit hard enough to justify over other sun sweepers, like Charizard or Shiftry.

I don’t think :Ivysaur: should be ranked; It's too slow outside of Sun, it doesn't offer enough firepower (even with boosts), it's weak to a lot of common attacking types, and is generally outclassed by Shiftry in the roles I'd like to select. Being bulkier and having a toxic immunity/absorption to tspikes isn't enough to warrant how underwhelming it is.

To keep this post from being empty, I want to nominate a candidate as well:

:Carbink: C -> UR
On the other hand, I feel that :Carbink: should be nuked from the VR: Yes, it gets to be funny in resisting Charizard and Magmortar's STABs, walling Drampa, Scrafty, and other pokemon, as well as being the premier trick room lead, but it heavily struggles to do much else. It's weak to every single entry hazard (ruining its sturdy), is setup fodder for many Pokemon (silvally steel tsareena regirock) due to having terrible offensive presence, and the fact that trick room is an extremely niche archetype. The idea of slowing down an opponent's team could be nice, but its really hard to get it to work when most of the attackers are weak to every single hazard (minus stuff like aggron), priority can mess a sweep up, and how switching to resists can make things very hard for team TR. Most importantly, carbink has to be sacrificed in the lead slot just to provide momentum - while it can do its job as a suicide Stealth rock/Trick room setter well, its a job many other pokemon, like uxie or mespirit, can deal while providing more utility throughout the game.

Just joined forms to share some thoughts here, and apparently I'm a Cradily...

:magmortar: A -> B+
On paper it's hella threatening with its coverage and power, but unlike other difficult-to-fit but threatening breakers like Gallade, Absol, and Centiskorch (all B+ rn), it only remains threatening on paper in a lot of cases because people are naturally prepared for it. Between common mons like Lanturn, bulky Zard, and Gigalith, many teams will often have multiple checks that prevent it from reliably making progress, and unlike its main competition in offensive Zard, it lacks recovery and therefore doesn't have as much luxury to get a prediction wrong or miss a Fire Blast/Focus Blast.
As an actual Magmortar user, I think B+ as low as this mon should drop, and the B-rank that termi suggested is too harsh. Magmortar fits well with the breakers in B+. Its fire-type STAB is very thereatning and it has the coverage it needs to blow past checks. Yes, you don't want to get a prediction wrong with Magmortar, but if you get one right, then your opponent needs another check:
252 SpA Choice Specs Magmortar Scorching Sands vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 192-226 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Magmortar Scorching Sands vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lanturn: 280-330 (61.6 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Shows how Magmortar works against defensive and SpD Lanturn)

252 SpA Choice Specs Magmortar Focus Miss vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 212-250 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Magmortar Scorching Sands vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 124-148 (33.1 - 39.5%) -- 19.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you burn a SpD Gigalith with Scorching Sands, it can't reliably KO you in return:
0 Atk burned Gigalith Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 147-174 (50.5 - 59.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage

252 SpA Choice Specs Magmortar Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Charizard: 230-272 (63.8 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Charizard Scorching Sands vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magmortar: 114-136 (39.1 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(The Bulkiest Charizard risks death to Thunderbolt and can't KO in return)
No matter how many checks you have, Magmortar's fire STAB and appropriate coverage is very difficult to switch into. I usually have Magmortar revenge sweeping in webs, so it can (and will) force a switch and wreck havoc.

:haunter: B -> A-
With Toxicroak gone, this spoopy boi has found its chance to shine. Haunter steps up to the role of a strong poison special attacker well. With access to Dazzling Gleam, Haunter doesn't get walled by Scrafty, and unlike Toxicroak, Haunter gets STAB on Shadow Ball, and the ghost-type is really strong right now.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1374860277-2qim4tijfhtulwna9k01c6h7z4v58n0pw
Once I was able to wear down Haunter's checks, namely the Persian and Magneton, Haunter was able to weaken my opponent's team enough for the rest of my mons to comfortably clean up what's left. (Haunter comes in turn 49)
(To justify my Magmortar usage: For lack of a better knock off absorber, I used Magmortar early on, knowing that I would be able to win the game with Haunter and Passimian.)

:galvantula: C -> B
Galvantula is the best webs setter in the tier, and despite Passimian being everywhere, webs are definitely viable. Unlike Ribombee, Galvantula's pivoting move, Volt Switch, comes off its higher attack stat, so you switch out and do a reasonable amount of damage. Galvantula is only 2 points of speed slower than Heliolisk was, meaning it is reliable enough as a mid-late game pivot once webs are up. Compound Eyes is also a very neat ability, allowing for 91% accurate Thunder, and (if you run it) 100% accurate Thunder Waves. Overall, the utility that Galvantula provides makes it worthy of being included in the B tier.

Well, I hope I did this posting thing right. Here's the clickable team I use:
:claydol::passimian::magmortar::galvantula::lanturn::haunter:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
hey

Arctozolt: C
Articuno-Galar: A
Quagsire: A-

thoughts?
Hi Zoowi, yes, what are your thoughts on these three? Why would they be C/A/A-?

Just as a reminder to everyone below. Great job in general people with nominations, appreciate them a lot :toast:
Do not post one-liners in this thread. Unless it is an exceptional sentence that is able to justify or explain something in a few words, one-liners rarely contribute anything of value to a thread. For NFEs not already included in the viability rankings (or even already included): put the effort into actually investigating its uses in the metagame and providing substantial FACTS and REPLAYS to prove your point before you post. Opinions contribute very little to the discussion if they do not have something to back them up, nor do posts that look at a single point and ignore everything else that has been said.

I am kind of new at this VR thing, so I apologize if I have any mistakes or faux pas on this. I have three nominations, and they are all a-.

Jellicent :Jellicent: B > A-
Yeah I can see this was dropped in May to B, and I think with most of its threats driving it to B are gone, it should come right back up to a-. have found myself using Jellicent a lot more as a physical wall, and for good reason: The tier shifts have been hugely favorable for it in eliminating difficult pokemon for it to play around with. The standard Colbur set does a decent job of stallbreaking on top of being a fantastic physical wall. The naturally high special defense with good defensive typing allows it to do some defensive work on the special side as well in a pinch: Hurricane from Charizard is the strongest attack it can use against it, and it only 3HKOs. As well, it has a fairly flexible movepool to work with: In terms of offensive tools it has stuff like Dazzling Gleam, Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Hydro Pump, and even the infamous Water Spout, with Trick rounding out potential specs sets. In terms of support/defense tools, Magic Coat, Toxic, Trick Room, and Strength Sap can give some variance; I have been badly punished before coming into a Jellicent expecting a defensive set, only to eat a specs boosted Water Spout.

The weaknesses compared to it's main competition lay in secondary roles, and magnitude. It doesn't set up hazards, it doesn't absorb status very well, and it loathes residual damage. Compared to the likes of Regirock and Weezing, it also has less immediate defensive presence; adding in the weaknesses to stuff like toxic and spikes, and there is a real danger of being overwhelmed by physically-based wallbreakers like . Being a spinblocker also is compromised by being easily driven out by Tsareena, though they usually don't like being burned on entry either.

In short, its work as a physical wall, knock off absorber, and the fact that everything making it's life terrible is gone (except Scrafty but it can handle the bu set on the standard set) makes me nominate it back to a-.

Drampa :drampa: C >A-
This is a very big jump, but I feel very strongly on this. With Guzzlord and Heliolisk sent to NU and Aloha-Eggs banned from the tier, there is a big opening for both dragon-based wallbreakers and ghost immunities. Drampa does both. It is really, really good at melting special walls. The most dramatic wallbreaking niche, to me, is that Cloud Nine Drampa has a 87.5% chance to OHKO Gigalith with grass knot, and 2HKO with Draco Meteor. The discussion about Magmortar above as a wallbreaker stands out to me as. Magmortar as a wallbreaker depends on making accurate predictions on who is coming in, and nailing that weakness. With Drampa, the wrong prediction depends on immunities usually. If there is a ghost type, and a fairy type on the other team, a bad prediction is 0 damage. In turn, with the exception of Silvally-Fairy, a correct prediction means they are OHKO or very close to it. If there is no ghost or fairy types, or there are none left, Draco Meteor or Hyper Voice inflict so much damage even on resist. It's kind of the opposite of Magmortar; because Dragon/Normal is such a neutral offensive typing, the pressure on your opponent is a different dynamic. For Magmortar, it needs to be hitting weaknesses. For Drampa, it needs to avoid hitting resists or immunities. Sw. With Drampa, you either have a steel/fairy/rock/ghost in reserve, or you are losing 1 pokemon every time Drampa comes in and you can't KO it.

Weaknesses is that Drampa is pretty easy to overwhelm. Drampa is not one of those wallbreakers that can sweep in a pinch (compare to Magmortar, again, who has respectable speed for PU). It is slow, and while it has adequate bulk, it can be revenge killed really easily by stuff like Pass and Whimsicott. While the Calm Mind set does a better job of not being worn down and easing prediction against specially offensive checks, physical checks can still slam through them. The hit and run nature of the specs set also gives opportunities for setup threats like Scrafty or Gallade to come in, so you need to be mindful of that as well

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1378286860

In this game, Drampa does some good work disrupting a sand strategy; Drampa can get revenge killed easily by the likes of Whimsicott and Lycanroc, but they can't get in safely (I probably should have hyper voiced the Whimsicott, but it worked out in the long run) and Gigalith and Lanturn can't reliably wall Drampa and allows him opportunities to come in several times in the fight, and Garticuno and Jellicent open opportunities to draw them in. I should have done more Draco Meteor over grass knot, but OHKOing a Gigalith at full HP with a special attack feels so good.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1380367695

In this game, my opponent has no fairy types, no ghost types, only resists versus draco meteor and hyper voice. Drampa basically does everything I can hope it could. The combination of Fire Blast (a misprediction into Ferroseed that becomes moot) and Future Sight overwhelms my opponent's Garticuno. Draco Meteor gets a high roll (I think) on Gigalith, who gets obliterated since Charizard's Overheat put on just enough chip. Drampa secures one more last KO thanks to Future Sight pressuring Tsareena, before getting taken out. Another 3 kill match for Drampa, that makes it easier for the rest of my team to clean.

I am overall vouching Drampa to A-. It's really good at melting walls. Really only silvally-fairy can take anything it has, but it also doesn't have recovery so applying chunky damage is progress on a fight. It's been a lot better than C rank for a while, but there hasn't really been a reason to use it when Aloha-Egg providing more power and defensive utility, and Guzzlord providing more bulk and defensive utility. Without those pokemon around, Drampa stands out as being the hardest hitting special attacker (thanks to Draco Meteor) in the tier with good switch in opportunities with ghost immunity (and grass immunity with Sap Sipper if you aren't worried about Gigalith) and dragon resists in water, grass, electric, and fire. If you rely on your dragon immunities or resists to deal with Drampa, those fairy or steel types are going to be either overwhelmed by Hyper Voice or Fire Blast. If you rely on normal resists or immunities, those ghost or rock types are going to be overwhelmed by Draco Meteor, and steel types will be overwhelmed by fire blast. The fourth slot is a wild card; I like grass knot for hitting Gigalith as hard as possible (Thank you Chlo for the recommendation!), but Drampa's wide movepool makes it awfully customizable to pinpoint down specific targets that you want to deal with without relying on Draco Meteor.

Articuno-G :Articuno-galar: > A-

I feel A- is a good starting point for the Galarian Articuno. Mostly because it's a really good future sighter that also does a decent job of sweeping. It has a pretty high 125 special, it has a good speed tier at 95, so it can toss future sights out and uturn before the opponent attacks, or calm mind and sweep. Defensively, 90/85/100 defenses are fine (though I have issues with the defense typing) that allows you to even survive some super effective hits, and are fast enough to recover them off for longevity. I think the future sight set is the strongest set it has, but I have had some success with bulky calm mind sets since they are easier to come in with.

It's big issue I have found is that psychic/flying is a pretty tough defensive typing to work with in PU. Ground immunity doesn't mean much when you are weak against stone edges and shadow balls, and a double fighting resist doesn't help when you got a neutrality to U-Turns and a weakness to knock offs. More often than not, I find an opportunity to come in for Future Sight or a Calm Mind setup, and I eat enough chip where I have to go with recover instead. A lot of pokemon pressure Garticuno offensively, and including Garticuno on your team ends up exposing more weaknesses defensively than you can really cover. Adding to the mix is that while Guno has some fantastic offensive traits, its movepool is passable at best, anemic at worst. Outside of a zany physical set I've seen once with Brave Bird, your specially offensive options for direct attacks is Freezing Glare, Psyshock, Shadow Ball, Air Slash, Hurricane. It's not great.

Despite these weaknesses, I vouch for A-. A lot of future sight users in the tier are always lacking something, whether offensively weak or painfully slow or can't come in safely or can't heal themselves. Galarian Articuno is adequate enough in defenses where it can come in safely, can heal off damage it inevitably takes over a fight so it can do it multiple times, while maintaining offensive presence with a good speed tier and high special attack. It also is a solid calm mind sweeper that can clean teams. Add in Competitive giving it extra utility to punish defoggers, and you have a good future sight + sweeper role compression.

I think there is arguments for each of these being b+ or a. I know Zoowi was looking at A for :Articuno-galar:. I feel they have enough issues and flaws to keep them from being a, but enough strengths to keep them from b+. I am eager to hear argument for or against, and welcome any critiques in my vr analysis!

Thank you!

Arctozolt: C
feels worse then arctovish, one of the main things that hurt it more then the vish is that op move of his being a lot less free due to type, you have to use your coverage a lot more often and need more of them, arguably the only coverage vish needed was freeze dry/icicle crash (stone edge is purely for other vish you run into, which atm is very unlikely) whilst zolt needs freeze dry/icicle but also stomping tantrum to be effective, in addition its coverage isnt enough to break it past the many common elec immunes (palo, sanda, stunfisk-galar, claydol) beyond that it stuffers the same issues as vish, the only positives it has over vish being volt absorb > water absorb (as years of volt absorb lanturn can attest to)

Articuno-Galar: A
coono is a great addition to the tier, its versatile, its typing is not terrible
future sight is nice but I find that its better to just blast things when you're in rather then play any games and somehow let them get in scrafty/dark for free to block it, whom you otherwise destroy with hurricane
its one of those mons where, you it doesn't rely on its ability to work, but in this tier with rampant moonblasts it tends to pull one off and serves as a check to wanton moonblast spam abandon and it can afford to do so due to recover
its unique in what it does and what it brings to the tier and its good at such, but not overbearingly so, there are some common mons that halt it easy coughtogegigalith but it can often net KO after KO once they are gone

Quagsire: A-
we dont have many physical setup sweepers but out of them, quag handles some of the more notoriously difficult to handle ones (scrafty, sandslash, lycanrock, scyther, common silvallies) while also being a check to some physical threats, the combined traits giving it a decent niche
I would feel he could be rated a bit higher but I'm still a bit more uncertain how good he is
obviously very usable, its more a question of where he goes up and I think A- is a fine starting spot

I'd just like to get these mons on the board already even if it isn't in a perfect spot thanks

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
:ss/tsareena:
Tsareena should be A+ at worst. In terms of hazard removal its the go-to option and meshes well with the current metagame. Grass is a great offensive typing considering almost all Stealth Rock setters are weak to it and further options in Knock Off and High Jump Kick make sure pokemon like Charizard, Ghost-type Pokemon that try to spinblock and Steel Pokemon like Aggron, Togedemaru, and Steelvally can't switch into it safely. The main thing that switches into it in the entire tier is like Weezing and everything else risks getting their Boots removed/chipped heavily/ko'd, which leads to it being an excellent Knock Off spreader. Finally, with Galarian Articuno's Competitive being a looming threat, and the Defog users generally being awful/hard to fit and easy to wear down after losing Heavy Duty Boots, Rapid Spin has been the desired form of removal. Due to these traits, its heavily splashable and fairly easy to slap onto teams which has been reflected in PUPL so far.

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:ss/articuno-galar: :ss/passimian: :ss/tsareena:
here are some vr noms

:articuno-galar: UR to A-
As a counterpoint to all the GArticuno praise, it's feels fairly natural to prep for. We don't have a large supply of answers to Pokemon like Charizard or Ribombee, so if you're facing any half-decent balance team you're going to end up fighting Gigalith, SpDef Aggron, or something else. In my experience you rarely get as much out of Future Sight as you think you do on paper; most fat Pokemon can afford to run Protect and tank the damage. With that said, sometimes people don't use Protect and instead use Toxic Gigalith or Silvally-Steel as their sole Psychic-answer, and GArticuno just obliterates these teams. To quote zoowi, it's also a solid deterrent to Moonblast spam and you can pretty comfortably EV it to tank hits from Pokemon like Whimsicott.
Calm Mind sets are decent but are hard to justify when Pokemon like Ribombee or Mesprit usually offer a better performance.

:quagsire: UR to B+
Quagsire compresses all your Silvally answers into one Pokemon, can spread status, has recovery, and can counter Scrafty if you're willing to run Curse. It also requires a hefty amount of support because it's massively crippled by status and Scald burns/Toxic are often not enough to ward off common switchins. It performs well on balance if you build around it(and is clearly great for stall builds) but I don't think it's as good on balance as people anticipated.

:arctozolt: UR to IDK
I have neither played with nor against a single Arctozolt.

:passimian: S to A+
Passimian is still our best scarfer and a top tier cleaner but U-turn spam isn't quite as strong as it was when we had eggy in the tier, and there's an uptick in Pokemon like Weezing and Palossand that massively shut it down. It's not as consistently valuable as its was in the prior meta.

:regirock: A to A-
Regirock deserves a modest drop down to A- with Sandaconda & Palossand, the other lesser-used Stealth Rock users. Gigalith and Aggron just compress so much more in one slot, and while SpDef is the more common set for Aggron I'd argue that Regirock is also often outclassed by PhysDef Aggron because of how it interracts with Silvally-Steel. It has some notable advantages like a strong Charizard matchup and a far more reasonable gameplan against Fighting-types like Passimian and Scrafty but from a building point of view it's rare I can justify using Regirock over not just Gigalith or Aggron but also over Sandaconda or Palossand.

:magmortar: A to B
Magmortar has some really strong matchups sometimes vs teams that rely on Archeops to beat Charizard but it's too inconsistent as a breaker and Roost&3Atks Charizard is usually better; Hurricane and Focus Blast hit all the Fire-resists hard enough over longer games and you still get the defensive utility of switching into Ribombee. Use Focus Blast Charizard more lol.

:froslass: A- to B+
Froslass isn't something I see too often so I may be underrating it, but when I do see it (and when it's not on HO) it's rarely getting more than one spike off and maybe a burn because it just doesn't get that many switch-in opportunities. I don't have as much to say as I'd like about this Pokemon but I don't see it belonging in the A ranks.

:lycanroc: A- to B
Lycanroc doesn't offer the same defensive utility Archeops does and offensively it's stonewalled by every Ground-type and pressured too easily by Passimian in particular. Has its moments but isn't nearly as consistent as an A- Pokemon should be.

:aromatisse: B+ to B-
Aromatisse is the biggest momentum sink in the tier and we aren't in a metagame where you can afford to do that freely unless you're on stall. Every time it's been in a PUPL game it's ended up being chipped and weakened by status or hazards and while it's not quite as bad post-Garbodor meta it's still something I can't justify using outside of Stall. Offensive sets could really use some experimentation but until that happens I think B- is more suitable.

:butterfree: :clefairy: :coalossal: :combusken: :drifblim: :exeggutor: :galvantula: :ludicolo: :orbeetle: :pincurchin: :sableye: :turtonator: :slowpoke:
C to UR
All of these Pokemon had small niches in a previous meta but those niches don't exist anymore. I can't see a reason to keep any of them but I'm open to discussion.

:tsareena: A- to A+
Echoing Decem here but Tsareena is crazy strong and arguably our best hazard control right now. U-turn is great but I've found on a lot of teams you can drop it for additional coverage; Decem's covered High Jump Kick, but Triple Axel and Zen Headbutt are also notable mentions imo for letting Tsareena make a lot of its answers inconsistent in the right matchup.

:silvally-steel: (Steel) A to A+
One of our nuttiest wincons and our best benefactor of Healing Wish Mesprit, pretty much all of its answers bar Quagsire can be put into range with minimal effort and Multi-Attack is so crazy strong that Silvally-Steel can break for itself in a lot of matchups. Steel hits most of the tier neutrally and the typing & immunity to Toxic gives Silvally-Steel a lot of set-up opportunities other typings lack.

:lanturn: B+ to A-
Balance teams have three viable, reliable long-term switch-ins to Charizard and not every build can fit an Archeops or a Gigalith, and that alone justifies A- placement in my mind. Volt Switch makes Lanturn useful at least as a slow pivot in pretty much every game and the only thing stopping me from ranking this higher is its inability to deal with physical attackers like Silvally-Steel or Togedemaru sufficiently, as it can make Lanturn awkward to build with at times. On that note more people need to experiment with Lanturn & physically defensive Aggron as a core.

:wishiwashi-school: C to B+
Wishiwashi's been picking up in usage recently as a more offensive sidegrade to Lanturn. Raiza vs chlo does a good job of showing how much a strong Scald can do a lot to teams that lack a sturdy Water-resist like Ferroseed, and Wishiwashi is sturdy enough to softcheck Pokemon like Sneasel, Archeops, Sandaconda etc. while doing that.

:drampa: :jellicent: I agree with both of these noms but don't have enough to say about them.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Okay so I had a big thing typed up like I usually do with noms. Before I was finished I had to go do something, and when I got back, everything I typed was gone. Since I don't really feel like typing everything up again, here are just some noms with less explanation than usual (might update when I have the free time, idk, I'm a bit annoyed by that).

:arctozolt:
NEW to B/B-

Whenever I use Arctozolt, I constantly feel disappointed by its impact. Bolt Beak having a more common immunity means that Banded sets are easier to play around, since if Arctozolt predicts incorrectly it's much more likely to have done nothing then something like Arctovish. HDB sets body stall but otherwise feel weak, as it's too frail to last long and provide any defensive value apart from checking Volt-spamming mons, too slow to outspeed anything offensively, and its offensive stats aren't the most optimal for doing anything other than spamming Bolt Beak. It's strong but offers little else to separate from other wallbreakers.

:articuno-galar:
NEW to A

Not big on Galarcuno personally but even after the New Toy Syndrome faded, it's established itself as a big threat. Future Sight + pivot move is a potent combination, and its ability to easily support breakers like Passimian is pretty neat. CM sets also look like they're on the rise, and those are quite threating if given a turn to setup, even if you have something like Gigalith or SpDef Aggron, as it can easily chip them for something else to wreck havoc. Overall just a solid mon that I can't wait to see more exploration on.

:quagsire:
NEW to B+/A-

Quagsire has breathed new life into stall. Before, it was a niche playstyle commonly used to farm wins against unprepared players, but it could struggle against common balance teams. Now, stall is beginning to feel like something that needs to have dedicated prep against to succed. Obviously, this is not all because of Quagsire, but it has caused stall to explore more options, like NGas Weezing, Clefairy, and Double Dance Alcremie, and I think this is the impact of a pretty good mon. Outside of its impact, it's a great counter to SDvally forms, Scrafty (better counter if running Curse), and random physical breakers that just can't 2HKO Quagsire unboosted. Surprisingly decent on balance as well, just please don't use Water Absorb unless you absolutely NEED a Water resist.

:gigalith: :passimian: :scrafty:
All to S-

I've been hearing calls for changing up the S-ranks, ranging from Togedemaru rising to Passimian dropping, but I think creating a S- rank and adding a few mons to it makes sense. I feel a few in particular are just better than everything Gigalith feels so much better than every Rocker due to its superior mixed bulk, ability to check top threats like Charizard, Ribombee, and Mesprit, and Sand, which can easily control the pace of games. Gigalith's downsides are easily covered with teammates, as it really only needs Weezing and a Water resists to wall 95% of the tier. In general, it feels like really good glue that's hard to go wrong with. Passimian is awkward, as it has clear 4MSS and a Speed tier that the meta is adapting to, but like Gigalith, it is hard to go wrong with Passimian. Between CC/Knock/U-turn, you're almost always making progress, which is hard to say for the majority of the A+ mons. Despite being predictable, it's very good offensive glue because of its ability to almost always make progress, and due to its malleability, fits on almost every team style. To me, this seems less like an A+ and more like a S-. Finally, Scrafty demands respect on every team both in the teambuilder and in practice. You need a Scrafty answer on every team, and it's gotten to the point where if you're not deliberately thinking "I need a Scrafty answer" when building, a well played Scrafty with do well against that team. I thought a lack of Spikes from Garbodor, its most viable partner, would hinder its viability, but instead players have used more of the nicher Spikers like Qwilfish, Ferroseed, and either Sandslash form to similar success, which shows me that Scrafty can withstand the shifts thrown at it. Even outside of its sweeping potential, a solid Knock Off switchin + a status absorber is something the tier lacks, so Scrafty often finds a place on teams for its defensive potential as well. All in all, these three feel like a step above all the A-Ranks, but not the level of Charizard impactful (btw Zard is overrated but that's clearly an unpopular opinion so I won't nom it down).

:magmortar:
A to B+

People want to nuke this mon all the way down to B and that feels crazy to me. More immediate power compared to its competition, Charizard, an array of useful utility such as Taunt and Teleport, as well as an actually useful ability separate it enough from Charizard, and fits more on teams that need a strong breaker than teams that want the utility of Charizard. With that being said, Magmortar does struggle a bit in the current meta. While powerful, it heavily relies on prediction to make progress, and its paltry bulk combined with a lack of resistances makes it hard to get in. The types of teams it fits on are also becoming less popular, as more teams want the utility of Charizard than the power of Magmortar. I still think Magmortar does have a place in the tier as a hard-to-fit, but rewarding, wallbreaker. But is that place worthy of an A rank? I don't think so.

:golbat:
B+ to B-

When is the last time you used Golbat? When is the last time you've SEEN Golbat? Usage does not indicate viability, but even on paper I feel that Golbat struggles a lot more than its current ranking shows. Hazard removers have been harder to find since Xatu left, but even then I wouldn't be using one weak to Rocks and heavily reliant on its item to function. Golbat feels too passive and strapped for moveslots; Defog and Roost are necessary, but then you also want Brave Bird, Toxic, Taunt, Super Fang, and (possibly) Heat Wave in order to keep hazards off against stuff like Regirock, Palossand, and Ferroseed. And, due to its lack of relevant resistances, it finds few openings to actually remove hazards, which is made even worse if it gets its item removed. Speaking of which, for a Pokemon that is to supposed to check Fighting-types, it's easy to overwhelm via the aforementioned weakness to Rocks and reliance on its item. This makes it easy to abuse via U-turn and Knock spam. Overall, Golbat simply has too many problems to work well and doesn't really feel like a B+ mon.

:arctovish:
B to B+

I think it was termi above who said that B+ is the place for hard-to-fit but very rewarding breakers, such as Absol, Centiskorch, and Gallade, and I feel that Arctovish fits that term to a T. While more people are running actual Water resists instead of fake ones like Lanturn, most of them have issues when dealing with Arctovish. Wishiwashi lacks reliable recovery and is forced into PhyDef to not be 2HKOed by Rend, and even if it is, it has to be the ToxTect set, or else the best it can do is Rest and pray for a U-turn pull. Similarly, Ferroseed lacks reliable recovery and gets slowly worn down by repeated Fishious Rends (it actually deals roughly the same damage as Icicle Crash). Jellicent still dies to Crunch, Qwilfish gets nuked by Psychic Fangs, and even nicher options like WA Quagsire it can run Freeze Dry for. My point is that Arctovish is a super strong wallbreaker that can cleave through non-resists with ease, and gives the few Water resists in the tier tons of chip to deal with, and exploits the fact that almost all the Water resists in the tier do not have reliable recovery. Despite being hard-to-fit because of its lacking defensive typing and slow speed, it makes up for it with a nuclear move that exploits common trends in the tier, and I feel it's worthy of a ranking higher than where it currently is.

:alcremie: :articuno: :audino: :clefairy:
C to B-

For convenience's sake I'm grouping these together into a "stall is good" now nom. I could shill about stall forever, but these 4 in particular have made names for themselves. Alcremie is best used on semi-stall for a dual boosting set, as Double Dance can easily sweep with the openings stall naturally gives it. Compared to other bulky boosters like Orbeetle, it is immune to common disruption moves like Taunt and Encore, as well as Fairy being a good defensive typing in the tier. DD can also PP stall Scrafty due to resisting both of its STABs combined with Rest. Articuno is stall's premier Defoggers due to its high special bulk and Pressure. This lets it wall stuff that can overwhelm Audino, like Galarian Articuno or Ribombee, as well as PP stall them. With stall exploring more options, Articuno's 4th movepool has been opened up, as Freeze Dry, Haze, and Substitute have all seen usage while remaining successful. Audino is a staple on stall and a great cleric, thanks to Regenerator + Boots keeping it healthy throughout the game. Wish is also great, as thanks to Audino's high HP stat, it can Wishpass to stuff like Corsola-Galar to keep it healthy. Finally, Clefairy is gaining traction as a great Scrafty answer with reliable recovery, a great ability, and a solid answer to most stalls. Magic Guard means passive damage cannot wear it down, forcing stall to use bulky setup sweepers in order to break past it. It also sees use on stall for the aforementioned reasons. These 4 highlight how much stall has grown in the past month, and I feel that warrants a rise.

:butterfree:

Garbage mon lol. It does almost nothing everytime I've seen it because every team naturally has at least two checks to it. Being slower than Passimian at +1 means it needs multiple turns to actually be a threat, and it has to choose between Tinted Lens and Compound Eyes for its ability, both of which have a massive opportunity cost. Sleep should set it apart but at that point I'd rather use Lilligant, who actually outspeeds Passimian at +1, doesn't have a crippling Rocks weakness, and doesn't rely on a 70%/91% chance to break through Charizard. Please drop it, I'm tired of seeing it on ladder doing nothing of value.

:combusken:

Reminder that I was the first to nom this down like a month or so ago, and everything I said then still applies now. Faces massive competition from the roles it wants to fulfill AND has 4MSS. SD wants 6 moves at once (SD/Tect/Fire STAB/Fighting STAB/TPunch/Sub), and even then it is hindered by a lack of recovery and weakness to Zard without TPunch. I really don't see why I would use it over stuff like Charizard if I want a Fire-type, Gallade if I want a Fighting-type, or Thwackey if I really want a SD NFE user. Only thing I disagree with from the Specs nom is that TSpikes are pretty decent right now, but SubTect sounds like such an awful set to use that I wouldn't think about using it.

:galvantula:

I have no idea what you guys have against Galvantula, it's genuinely good. Webs are very good speed control ever since Boots spam stopped being a thing with Garbodor leaving, and the ability to threaten every hazards remover with a Thunder or a Bug Buzz makes it hard to remove Webs. Webs HO is underrated right now but even outside of that playstyle, it can perform well. Electric + Bug + Grass coverage with the possibility or a Volt or a Toxic is surprisingly potent, as you Volt on everything (not named Togedemaru) that would wall you and lay Webs on the free turn you force stuff out. Being able to threaten tier titan Zard is a big deal right now, and creating a free turn off of it is even more valuable. Between its high speed tier, strong coverage, and access to Webs, I think it deserves to stay up here.

:ludicolo:

This thing is a beast. Yes it's a hard-to-fit breaker, but the ability to make mincemeat of almost all of the defensive mons in the tier is worth it imo. SpDef Gigalith kinda annoys Ludicolo, but how exactly are you getting that in? It can only safely come in on an Ice Beam, and then has to win a few 50/50s in order to actually beat Ludicolo. These 50/50s are always in the Ludicolo player's favor as well, as the Gigalith is eventually forced into a couple of predictable options. And it is a demon on rain teams. While they are niche, Ludicolo has a very slim amount of switchins when given 5/6 turns of rain, and requires perfect prediction to play around it. If I could, I would nom Ludicolo up higher, to B-, but unfortunately I lack the support to do so.

:orbeetle:

It really pains me to say this but I think Orbeetle is unviable. The best it's ever had during the Talonflame-less meta was right after Talonflame left. Then, team structures were split between Reigrock and Gigalith as the Rocker, both of which could not threaten Orbeetle after a burn and could easily be lured by Wisp Charizard. Scrafty was also less popular, as the omnipresence of Talonflame meant it had few setup opportunities and was easier to pressure as a result. As the meta shifted more towards Palossand as a Rocker and Scrafty gained popularity, Orbeetle went from an anti-meta sweeper to ineffective and unable to thrive. Even if you use the good set (Double Dance + Rest with enough Speed for base 80s), Orbeetle needs multiple turns to be threatening, and its defensive typing is too easy to exploit by stuff like Hurricane Charizard. It's quite possible that a sliver of viability remains, but I am not willing to defend it any longer.

I pretty much agree with every other nom I didn't explicitly mention. The Corsola-G nom, the Drampa nom (although I would put it at B instead of A-), the Tsareena nom, etc. The only ones I don't agree with are the Ivysaur nom (Sun is even more niche than Rain + Ivysaur doesn't have the bulk or the power to be an effective abuser), the Carbink nom (Trick Room is still a decent playstyle), and the Haunter nom (much better on paper than it is in practice, has almost no defensive utility despite the 3 immunities and the only role it doesn't have competition in is as a Choice Specs breaker).

Thanks for reading!

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Huge VR Update

Tap's computer is still being worked on so you're going to have deal with me this time :afrostar: The council voted on every single mon on the VR here. Basically we put where we think each mon should be on the VR and if a majority found that something should be somewhere else, it went there. Unfortunately we only had 6 members for this time around, so there were some votes that resulted in ties, where a mon would not move even if half of us felt like it should.

Overall though, I'm extremely happy with the VR looks like now. I hope the long wait was worth it to you all, the meta has changed a good bit so we wanted to make sure to have played it enough to have the VR look good, so here we are. I'll be going over some of the more drastic changes, or ones that might just need a bit of an explanation.

New drops to the tier
:arctozolt: Arctozolt to B- Not really much of a threat and hasn't been seen on too many teams, but in theory could work
:articuno-galar: Articuno-Galar to A Amazing mon that has found its way on teams, and has had an impact on the meta
:quagsire: Quagsire to A- Not a staple by any means but is a hard stop to a good amount of mons (Passimian, Silvally, Aggron, Scrafty, ect)

A rank
:aggron: Aggron A to A+ Spdef has really found its place in the meta and is now a top rocker and offensive threat too
:magmortar: Magmortar A to B Hasn't found its way on teams and isn't reliable enough with Gigalith and Lanturn getting so much usage.
:silvally-steel: Silvally-Steel A to A+ Top offensive threat and Steel is an amazing typing. Articuno-Galar dropping makes it more attractive too

A- Rank
:Gourgeist: Gourgeist-Small A- to B+ People seem to prefer Silvally-Ghost as their physical Ghost type, Gourg-Small isn't bad though
:lycanroc: Lycanroc A- to B Sandaconda rising up is bad for it and now Quagsire is around. Not as consistent as it once was
:sandaconda: Sandaconda A- to A Has good longevity and continues to be seen more and more
:tsareena: Tsareena A- to A+ A top removal option and so tough to switch into because of Knock and us having no more Garbodor

B+ Rank
:absol: Absol B+ to B
:Aromatisse: Aromatisse B+ to B Too passive and more steel types on the rise to hard into it
:Centiskorch: Centiskorch B+ to B
:claydol: Claydol B+ to B
:gallade: Gallade B+ to B In theory has no switch ins but have little defensive utility and isn't fast enough to make up for it
:golbat: Golbat B+ to B
:Gourgeist: Gourgeist-XL B+ to B
:lanturn: Lanturn B+ to A- Articuno-Galar and Charizard both being top threats gives Lanturn a lot more of a reason to be used
:miltank: Miltank B+ to B
:weezing: Weezing B+ to A- Physical sponge and has less competition with Garb gone. Neutralizing Gas has also popped up more to deny Regen n stuff

B rank
:ferroseed: Ferroseed B to B+
:hitmonlee: Hitmonlee B to C Horrible and just isn't ran
:jellicent: Jellicent B to B+ Guzzlord, Exeggutor-Alola, and Toxicroak no longer being in the tier was massive for Jellicent
:runerigus: Runerigus B to B-
:sandslash-alola: Sandslash-Alola B to B+
:tangela: Tangela B to B+ Seen on Balance/BO more and has the same great utility
:uxie: Uxie B to B-

B- Rank
:qwilfish: Qwilfish B- to B Lost a spiker so Qwilfish has seen more usage + has Taunt + T-wave to annoy builds
:shiftry: Shiftry B- to C
:silvally-dragon: Silvally-Dragpn B- to C

C rank
:articuno: Articuno C to B- Stall has been seen a bit more and isn't horrible
:audino: Audino C to B- Stall has been seen a bit more and isn't horrible
:butterfree: Butterfree C to UR Talked about most of the things now unranked in my post
:combusken: Combusken C to UR
:drampa: Drampa C to A Way less competition and has useful resistances like grass and water, Cloud Nine also messes with the best Spdef blanket check
:drifblim: Drifblim C to UR
:exeggutor: Exeggutor C to B-
:orbeetle: Orbeetle C to UR
:pincurchin: Pincurchin C to UR
:silvally-water: Silvally-Water C to B-
:slowpoke: Slowpoke C to UR
:thievul: Thievul C to UR
:wishiwashi: Wishiwashi C to B Bulky slow U-turn has proven to be good enough for Wishi to find its way in high level games

Newly Ranked
:appletun: Appletun UR to C Less competition and has good resistances, can be tough to kill
:sandslash: Sandslash UR to B- Paired with Gigalith it has proven to be tricky to deal with in end games and hits pretty hard
:pyukumuku: Pyukumuku UR to C Better than some of the C ranks as it can be a niche option on stall

I really like the VR right now, especially the Audino rise, by far my favorite cleric to use since Aromatisse gets chipped a lot more and forced into many situations where it just spams Wish and Protect, not getting anything done really.

It might be a little rash to make a few noms so soon after the shift but I have a couple of mons I wanna give my opinion on:

:carracosta: To UR & :kabutops:to B+
Two mons that are very interchangeable, both share the same typing and they both fit the role as Setup sweepers, (With Costa's Shell Smash and Kabutops), despite these similar traits I feel like one is vastly inferior to the other. Let's talk about Costa first:

The best thing I can say about :carracosta: is its bulk, Solid Rock is a decent ability to pair with Shell Smash, it allows it to live a handful of physical hits from mons like SpDef :aggron:, giving it an easier time to set up. That's about most of the postives I have for the turtle man, everything else about this Pokémon is severly underwhelming, its speed tier even after +2 (Running a + speed nature only really lets you outspeed Galvantula, which is not worth foregoing extra damage) is severely lacking and mons like: :ribombee: :whimsicott: :jolteon: will revenge-kill you (None of these are OHKOed by an Aqua Jet and they tend to run boots) and that's not even mentioning the very common scarf users like: :passimian: :togedemaru: :mesprit: (That also aren´t killed by an Aqua Jet). Speed control isn't the only thing Costa loses at, while Rock/Water is a very good STAB combination to have, there are a few mons that while slower than Costa, can outlive some hits and hit it back way harder. Unless you forego Hydro Pump, (To then give yourself a major handicap against :weezing:) :tangela: and :druddigon: will beat you 1v1. Oh and don't forget about :ferroseed: which is on the rise. Overall, Costa is a Pokémon that just can't keep up with the higher tiers, it'll either get walled or outsped and Aqua Jet is just too weak, it puts very little pressure on teams and really isn't worthy of a spot anymore, it's not Butterfree levels of bad but at most you'll just use it to check :charizard: or :archeops:.

Onto :kabutops: now, this mon really is just Costa but better in every single way as a sweeper, higher attack and speed is a good start, but Weak Armor is such a great ability since with Endure and with an attack boosting item (Liechi Berry or Weakness Policy both work, I like Liechi for consistency.) makes up for not having Shell Smash, Kabutops also applies much more pressure than Costa, forcing out many swithces in which Kabutops can set up with Swords Dance and get even stronger. +2 Amadant Kabutops is faster than a vast majority of the tier (including scarfers), and if it gets to +3 attack (Which isn't an uncommon ocurrence), Kabutops WILL destroy any unprepared teams and will rarely lose momentum.
This all probably sounds like speculation but here are a couple of replays showing the brute force of Tops:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1372371753
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1386065802
Kabutops flaws are a bit like Costa's, it gets walled by the same Pokémon. (Add :quagsire: too) and in the cases where you'll be at 1hp, (Which can be common) you'll probably die to Iron Barbs / Helmet from :togedemaru: and :sandaconda:, I would experiment with a Protective Pads set though. Also watch out for status, any status will trivalize the power of Kabutops so I recommend having Heal Bell support like Audino. It's not right up there with the A ranks but I've been having alot of fun with this mon as well as moderate success and is a more devastating sweeper than say :hitmonlee:, I think a nice subrank rise is deserved, better mon than the likes of :lycanroc: or :basculin: imo.

P.S I appreciate the criticism for my Corsola-G nom, it could've been a bit better written but I'll try to contribute to the VR more as I play more of the meta.

Edit: I figured I coulda included some calcs for people to see what Kabutops can offer, here's some +1 Atk calcs
+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tsareena: 250-295 (87.7 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Offensive Whimsicott: 280-331 (107.2 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scarf Togedemaru: 306-360 (112.9 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 140 HP / 0 Def Drampa: 282-333 (84.9 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Sandaconda: 260-308 (74.7 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)