Resource SS PU Sample Teams

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
ID Cofagrigus - 2xTheTap
:Scrafty::Charizard::Whimsicott::Cofagrigus::Gigalith::Togedemaru:
Xiri went 35-1 with this team I passed him for PU Ladder Tour. It is very standard, but this doesn't detract from how strong it is. This easy-to-pilot squad revolves around ID Cofagrigus - all of PU's Ghost resists are stomped on by its boosted Body Press at the moment, so the team was designed with this meta trend in mind. Charizard does very well this meta with Toxic on its set rather than Defog, putting Pokemon like Gigalith / Archeops on a timer if they don't have cleric support. Charizard's Hurricane is nice for removing Scrafty so that Cofagrigus doesn't have to worry about being Knocked and so Gigalith is free to do its thing and wear down teams via Sandstream + SR. The team is built such that choice users at the top of the meta like Drampa and Passimian have a really hard time locking into an attack. CB Aggron can be a nuiscance when Togedemaru is your scarfer, so Scrafty is creeping Adamant Aggron here. Scarf Togedemaru is here for checking dangerous sweepers like Silvally and Ribombee. Notably, Togedemaru is faster than +1 Silvally, letting you RKO that in most cases. Charizard handles Silvally-Steel if Scrafty isn't healthy enough to, but look out for Rock Slide. Quagsire can be annoying too, but you should have the tools to break that between Toxic on everything and Whimsicott.

Here's a short replay to see it in action: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1392355116

Specs Jellicent + CB Perrserker Balance - Vulpix03
:ribombee::jellicent::sandaconda::perrserker::charizard::audino:
This team is built around two of the heaviest hitters PU has to offer, making it extremely hard for your opponent to not crumble under the offensive pressure. Band Perrserker is hands down my favorite Pokemon to use in the tier. Steely Spirit Iron Head two-hit-kos just about everything, and having access to great coverage + U-turn for momentum makes it very dangerous. Specs Jellicent is able to come in on a Perrserker U-turn (usually on Pokemon such as Sandaconda) and fire off powerful Water Spouts, Shadow Balls or just Trick and cripple a Pokemon on your opponents team. Ribombee throws another U-turner into the mix while also providing some much needed speed and a Scrafty / Sneasel check. Bug Buzz is used to better check Specs / Nasty Plot Mesprit. The bulk on Ribombee allows it to always live a neutral Silvally Multi Attack from max HP. Sandaconda is a Stealth Rock setter than blanket checks just about every physical attacker in the tier. Stone Edge is used over Glare to better check Scyther, and is better against Defog Charizard. 88 speed EV's allow Sandaconda to outpace adamant Perrserker and Aggron. Charizard is the removal of choice on this team for its ability to check Fairies and Steels as well as Pokemon such as Calm Mind Uxie, thanks to Mystical Fire lowering the opponent's special attack. Bulk is used so that Charizard can act as a special wall of sorts, lowing the opponents special attack and sponging just about every hit after. Lastly we have Audino. Audino is a great Pokemon as it blanket checks just about every special attacker, has access to Regenerator, and supports your team with Wish. Toxic + Knock Off is my preferred moveset. Toxic is great for set up sweepers, and Knock for just general use. Aromatherapy could be put over Knock potentially, however I do not believe it is worth it. Aromatherapy over Bug Buzz on Ribombee is probably a better option if you are not afraid of Mesprit.

Giga-Ferro Spikes Balance - TJ
:gigalith::quagsire::scrafty::weezing::ferroseed::ribombee:
This is a pretty standard team built around the potent Gigalith + Ferroseed defensive core with adequate counterplay to most of what the meta has to offer. Gigalith and Ferroseed are the hazard stacking core; toxic on Ferroseed allows you to keep up Spikes vs Tsareena (which would otherwise keep off hazards and beat it 1v1), while Protect on Gigalith is useful for scouting attacks from choiced-locked pokemon and keeping it healthy in tandem with leftovers. Quagsire is a nice blanket check to pokemon like Aggron, Sandaconda, Scrafty, and Silvally, and is the team's Electric immunity. Furthermore, the spdef EVs allow it to avoid being 2HKOed by Ribombee's Moonblast. Weezing provides lots of utility with wisp, taunt, tspikes, a ground immunity, fighting resist, and check to dangerous pokemon like Centiskorch. After setting up hazards, Scrafty can serve as a bulky wincon and force progress by clicking knock off and crippling Pokemon like Ribombee and Quagsire that rely on their items. Scrafty also blanket checks defensive taunt jellicent, which would otherwise shut down the team. Last pokemon is Ribombee with Aromatherapy; this provides speed control, status removal, and another win con with quiver dance. The defense EVs allow you to eat a Multi Attack from Silvally and Stone Edge from Sandconda at full.

:toxicroak::regirock::guzzlord::talonflame::whimsicott::togedemaru:- by 2xTheTap
Before you say, 'hey 2x, that Whimsicott should be using Infiltrator!', remember: Prankster gives Whimsicott's Nature Power priority.

This is a very straightforward, easy-to-use team that addresses as large a portion of the meta's threats as possible. Regirock, Talonflame, and AV Guzzlord form the team's main defensive backbone, with Regirock and Talonflame handling hazard setting and removal, respectively. Iron Defense Body Press Regirock is pretty busted as a late-game wincon, but otherwise it's a very effective SR user in a meta where our best Defog user is Talonflame. It also just blanket checks many Pokemon you think it wouldn't be able to normally, especially once it's boosted its already massive Defense stat.

Talonflame is run here with just enough Speed for opposing Whimsicott, so that the remainder of its EVs can be allocated toward its Defense in order to better answer the meta's Fighting-types. Between Toxicroak, Whimsicott, and Talonflame, Fighting-types like Virizion are pretty well-covered. Just be wary of Knock Off, and don't be afraid to call it out and switch to something other than Talonflame early-game.

With Talonflame and Regirock being relied on heavily here, Toxicroak was added to cover both of them against Water-types, particularly Vaporeon, and uses those as setup fodder via Nasty Plot. In this meta, NP is a stronger set than SD, and this team can kind of struggle if you're unable to position yourself well against threats like Weezing, Palossand, and Sandaconda (basically the Pokemon that prevent Togedemaru from cleaning up late-game), so NP Toxicroak was an easy fit for this team.

Next, even despite Whimsicott's base 77 SpA stat, its Specs set really slaps in this meta. In a way, Specs Whimsicott is taking on two roles for the team by itself: (1) speed control (via priority Nature Power, which is coincidentally useful against people trying to cheese you via terrain-based teams - Nature Power becomes priority Energy Ball on Grassy Terrain and priority Thunderbolt on Electric Terrain) and (2) wallbreaker. The resists it provides are also useful, but it is flimsy enough that it shouldn't be played defensively if it can be helped. Hurricane is a nice midground move, and hits all of those Pokemon that might try to pivot into Energy Ball pretty hard; for example, it happens to 2HKO Weezing:
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 170-200 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Alternatively, Psychic is an option here over Hurricane, but do not remove Nature Power! The status it provides and the ability to dodge Sucker Punch while still attacking will clutch out a lot of games. Basically, locking into Nature Power or Hurricane will put a lot of pressure on Whimsicott switch-ins like Talonflame early- to mid-game, so try to focus on using Whimsicott offensively.

Setting up with Regirock and Toxicroak or breaking with Whimsicott isn't always free though, so AV Guzzlord was added for offensive glue and additional breaking power, more or less, with that shoring up the team's weakness to Fire-types like Magmortar and Charizard, as well as other strong special attackers like Heliolisk. Additionally, it adds an important Ghost resist (which many people forget in this meta) and gives you an out against Poltergeist users that aren't named Froslass and Ghost-types like Rotom and Palossand.

Lastly, I was looking for some solid speed control in addition to Toxicroak's Vacuum Wave and Whimsicott's Nature Power, as well as a strong check to Pokemon like Arctovish (even when its Slush Rush is active), opposing Whimsicott, and Ribombee, so Choice Scarf Togedemaru fit the bill nicely. Togedemaru brings in a lot of passive Pokemon via its U-turn, too, which in turn allows Toxicroak to set up NP and Whimsicott and Guzzlord to wallbreak.

Just to check that this team was user friendly, I passed this to tlenit, who tested this for me on ladder. Anyway, below are some replays in case you want to know more about how this team should be used. Enjoy!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276307419-8h0wijs9c08jgrepdyrzrgtk3sq8j7npw tlenit vs kink
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276038616-fqhpy1i0hb4ygzbar2k9skh69c3yj3vpw Specs Whimsicott and NP Toxicroak breaking against Chloe's sample
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276032045-qndqlkz1t8k2jj7h70w20srw9der7oapw priority Nature Power coming through
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276042852-gswwou9h2hsbr7k9jurnmkbm62pudpapw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276078788-lj3m5bntaazvsf9vk5nn8dagltczam2pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276023736-6qsk64x38f5ni9xoynj34v6ntzyi92rpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276019337-ybxcwih6tkrozl6ohdwcksdz6ajkdx4pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1276019925-bgx6zf46qr6c6zi5jq1btl853q74odzpw
:lycanroc::virizion::aromatisse::talonflame::claydol::heliolisk: - by gum
This team started with Mixed Virizion, which is, imo, the tier's best Wallbreaker. Lycanroc was just a mon i thought looked good on paper, and it pairs amazingly well with Virizion; together they form a very potent offensive core that can annoy most team structures. Accelerock Lycanroc is especially good, it makes for a surprisingly effective late-game cleaner as well as a solid revenge killer. Psychic Fangs hits Fighting types (mainly Toxicroak), as i didn't really feel like Crunch was needed here at all. Psychic fangs also helps against the occasional screens. Aromatisse + Talonflame + Claydol makes for a sturdy defensive core, with Aromatisse being especially important here thanks to its Wish and Heal Bell support. the EVs on Talonflame are to always Ohko Heliolisk with Flare Blitz and out speed Sneasel, while the EVs in HP / SpDef just give it as much SpDef bulk as possible. the EVs on Claydol are for Heliolisk, while the speed allows it to out speed Aggron. lastly, Heliolisk acts as the team's scarfer & notably helps against weather cheese and vallies
:cofagrigus::aggron::virizion::lanturn::talonflame::guzzlord: - by Chloe
This is a team several people i know have used to get reqs and it has been relatively easy to use. Iron Defense Cofagrigus is an incredibly underrated Pokemon in the current meta game, being able to sweep many unprepared teams with ease. The team patches up any weaknesses it does have very well, Aggron is an offensive powerhouse, helping Cofagrigus break through some of its more annoying resists. Scarf Virizion may seem like an odd choice, but i needed better speed control and its speed tier is amazing so i didn't really miss the wall breaking power especially with Cofagrigus and Aggron already doing a lot of work themselves. Scarf Virizion can pretty much just win vs hail teams after rocks are set, which the ladder seems to love. Lanturn, Talonflame & Guzzlord defensively deal with anything else, rounding out the team well. Overall a very solid team, that people have told me is very easy to use.
:whimsicott::passimian::lanturn::mesprit::talonflame::sandaconda: - by Bag of Trixx
It's an easy-to-command squad utilizing several of the toptier current mons and structures nicely as a VoltTurn sample team. The idea of the team is rather simple, and that is to have Choice Specs Whimsicott break through bulky checks and defensive mons like Weezing, Togedemaru, Palossand, Aromatisse, etc. in order for Nasty Plot Mesprit to sweep a good chunk of the opposing team until things are in range for a Passimian/Talonflame clean-up. The defensive core of Lanturn-Sanda-Talonflame manages to handle a good chunk of the tier, especially since 2 of the aforementioned can pivot on unfavorable switch-ins (i.e. Virizion switching into Lanturn freely or Gigalith switching into Talonflame, etc). The VoltTurn core of Talonflame-Lanturn-Whimsicott-Passimian covers a majority of the tier and is further supported by an excellent rocker who also provides Speed control via Glare: Sandaconda. Rocky Helmet is extremely beneficial for its ability to to wear down opposing pivots like Togedemaru, Passimian, and Archeops, but having Glare support is excellent for helping Mesprit since it is rather slow, most notably versus Virizion. All in all, this is a very simple, very standard-looking team that anyone can pick up and use in order to get a grasp on Gen8 PU.
Mixed Fairy-Vally Balance - Specs
:silvally::gigalith::tsareena::scrafty::togedemaru::weezing:
Silvally-Fairy has a good amount of room to get in and had figured a mixed set would work well in this meta. You have a lot of options to go with and this move set worked best for the build. Grass Pledge > Surf can work but Surf was nice for luring offensive Aggron or just doing more to SpDef sets in general. Gigalith is the best rocker atm and makes sure Zard doesnt get out of hand. Sand chip is also nice in longer games. Tsareena is amazing at the moment as it is able to make crucial trades for the rest of the team. You can also use a bulkier set in order to say not have to switch out on Passimian U-turn and instead get a spin off, there is a lot you can with this mon. High Jump Kick or even Triple Axel work in the Synthesis slot for dealing with Aggron or Weezing better respectively. Bulk Up Scrafty is tough to kill in the short term and Knock + Tspikes works incredibly well together, allowing Whimsicott or Ribombee to suddenly be either on a timer and/or start taking Rocks dmg. You want to play fairly safe with it. Scarf Togedemaru helps the build by being a volt immune and also helping vs Fairy types, forcing them out and continuing to put on pressure with the rest of your team. Weezing in the final slot is a more reliable fighting answer and is key in some match ups to make progress. It's an incredible physical stop in this meta game but cannot just come in willy nilly. You can also make Weezing Black Sludge > Rocky Helmet

I think this team works for people of all levels of skill and knowledge of the tier. The idea is simple but works and has a lot of tools to deal with many match ups. Watch out for opposing Weezing, make sure to either make trades with it or chip it down with burn + sand + hopefully knocking its potential Black Sludge off. Opposing Scrafty can be dealt with with a general sequence of > Weezing > Burn > Force Rest until no Shed Skin and go Fairy Vally. Your Scrafty should also be faster so you can also potentially crit first in a boosting war. Hope you all enjoy the team!

Specs Ribombee + NP Mesprit BO - termi
:tsareena::ribombee::weezing::audino::aggron::mesprit:
Basically two variations of the same team, one with Specs Bee and one with Boots QD. I used the Specs version vs neider in SCL but both versions are nice I think. Basically the NP Mesprit set 2HKOs most common special walls that would typically be used to check it (Gigalith, Aggron, Sdef Toge, Audino etc) after a boost, letting whichever Bee set you're using tear through what remains of your opponent's team later in the game. Tsareena is an excellent partner to Ribombee, especially the Specs variant, and furthermore helps to whittle Steel types to make Mesprit and Bee's time easier. The rest of the team makes for a solid defensive core, with Audino providing Wish support to keep Mesprit dangerous throughout the match and keep Weezing healthy. The latter is needed to reliably check Tsar and offers more ways to make progress against fatter teams with TSpikes and NGas + Taunt. Aggron rounds out the team as a Steel type with access to SR, letting you check stuff like Bee and Specs Guno. I put Toxic in last on Aggron but you can also change it to Roar if CM Stored Power Uxie/Mesprit concern you - this is especially useful on the Boots Bee variant of the team, since that team can't utilize Specs Switcheroo as an emergency check to such sets and the team kinda just loses to them as a result.

Scarf Rotom + Bulky QD Ribombee Spikes by gum

Specs Jellicent + Hattrem Balance by xavgb

Magneton Balance by Chloe

Cofagrigus Spikes Balance by Lambovino

3 Attacks Taunt Scrafty Balance by Haffling

FS Articuno-Galar + CB Scrafty Balance by TONE

CB Scrafty Spikes Balance by Shaneghoul

Choice Specs Abomasnow Balance by Lambovino

Gallade Spikes Balance by Chloe

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady Writer

on the tv
is a Tiering Contributor
https://pokepast.es/4cf9b500bf908bea i wanted to submit this team for a sample now that my pult run is over. the sample teams here are from before doublade meta and thus aren't really good anymore, and I think it is important to get some good samples on here before the generation ends. this is a team that I made and used successfully during pult playoffs, a simple sand offense team that is very good in the current meta in my opinion. the double offensive sand core of lycanroc + sandslash is extremely threatening to almost every team, and paired with gigalith of course, the best rocker in the tier to set sand. doublade is another powerful sweeper that is often able to sweep after lycan and sandslash put dents in the opponent's team, and being a great defensive option vs a lot of threats in the tier. adamant on sandslash allows you to ohko eldegoss 93.6% of the time, which is 100% of the time you have any bit of hazards or rocks chip on it. as for the defensive side of the team, weezing + eldegoss makes a great core to pivot into most of the threats in the tier while you wait for a chance to get your sand attackers in. neutralizing gas on weezing + clear smog makes sure scrafties and such don't get out of hand, with a sitrus berry for a bit of recovery and to switch in better to poltergeist attackers. eldegoss can spin reliably on most things and can usually beat doublade 1v1 if it doesn't have rest. and of course, gigalith can be used to switch into almost any special attacker in the tier and get your sand back up. levitate weezing and quagsire can certainly be pains for this team. for quag you at least have a very safe elde switch in if needed, and it can also be toxiced by gigalith or by tspikes if it isn't boots which helps break it. weezing if it has pain split is definitely quite tough to break, kind of just need to try and figure out its set and play around pain splits the best you can.

https://pokepast.es/e33a51c12216ece6

i would like to submit this team. i have played it to 1550+ dozens of times (i know thats not that hard)
most of the team is very standard balance, and then theres seaking.
yes seaking is a very weak pokemon in a vacuum, but it compresses the following roles into one mon:
- pivot
- volt switch blocker
- knock off
the assault vest set lets it switch into electric type attackers such as galvantula and jolteon without getting 2 shot,
and the speed lets it outrun vikavolt and all the 200 speed adamant wallbreakers like aggron etc.
i have never submitted a team before, so sorry if this submission didnt fit the format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)