Gen 8 SS Monotype

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
SwSh_Monotype.png

Amazing art by Albatross! Check out their art thread here!
SS Monotype is the official Monotype metagame for Gen 8. It stands out from the other past generations for being the first ever Monotype metagame to have the widest variety of types that are viable.

Notably Different Mechanics from Gen 9 :great-tusk:
  • Libero always changes the user's type
  • Terastallization does not exist
  • Recover, Soft-Boiled, and other healing moves have 16 PP
  • Grassy Glide has 70 base power
  • Snow is Hail, and does not boost Defense of Ice type Pokemon. Rather, all active Pokemon lose 1/16 of their maximum HP every turn unless they are Ice type.
Notably Different Mechanics from Gen 7 :kommo-o:
  • Defog removes Terrains
  • Teleport has negative priority, and switches out the user
  • Z-Moves, Mega Evolutions and some Pokemon from previous gens up to 7 do not exist
  • Not all Pokemon have access to Toxic, and Hidden Power is unavailable
  • Frustration, Hidden Power, Return and Pursuit are not usable
  • Rapid Spin is 50 BP and increases Speed by 1 stage
Notably Different Mechanics from Gen 6 :gallade-mega:
  • Burn deals 6% damage each turn, as opposed to 12%
  • Pelipper and Torkoal have access to Drizzle and Drought respectively; Gengar loses Levitate
Banlist

Viability Rankings :kyurem:

Type Viability Rankings :dragonite:
These types are ordered by viability, even when within rankings.
S Rank

A Rank

B Rank

D Rank

Sample Teams :aegislash:

Team Tournaments Index :urshifu:
After Sword and Shield Monotype ceased to be the current generation metagame, it still gets representation in team tours. These are presented here:

MPLX Replays :honchkrow:
BLTVII Replays :rhyperior:
MWPIII Replays :spectrier:

Sword and Shield Monotype has progressed through several metagames: Pre-HOME, HOME, Isle of Armor, and Crown Tundra. The supported metagame is the metagame after the Crown Tundra DLC, and the following tours occurred when Crown Tundra was the current metagame.
MPL VIII Replays :thundurus-therian:
BLT VI Replays :bisharp:
MWP IV Replays :dhelmise:
MPL VII Replays :braviary:
MWCoP II Replays :spectrier:
BLT III Replays :staravia:
MWP III Replays :centiskorch:

If one wishes to check out replays from the previous metagames, check out the Tournament Archive

Miscellaneous Resources :tapu-fini:

Last edited:

Neko

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
  • Updated Tournaments index + sent out forms for VR changes.
  • Revamped other resources to include Flying Press articles
  • Sprites have been standardized, and analyses have been linked for easy referencing

You may now begin posting.

Last edited:

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:SS/Hawlucha:
C -> B (Fighting):
Hawlucha @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Endure
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Poison Jab

I think that Hawlucha is pretty good on Fighting, and do not think it is bad enough to warrant a C ranking. Using this set, Hawlucha can 1v1 many threats that would otherwise pose a huge threat to Fighting teams, namely Tapu Lele. This set is not without a few downsides though, notably losing to Toxapex.

:SS/Darmanitan-Galar: :SS/Darmanitan-Galar-Zen:
Darmanitan-Galar @ Salac Berry
Ability: Zen Mode
EVs: 212 HP / 120 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Belly Drum
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Substitute

I also wanted to talk about Belly Drum Darmanitan-Galar, which I think has a niche in Monotype as it does super well against types that balance Ice traditionally has trouble against such as Hail Ice and Steel, the latter of which it can easily 6-0 provided Bisharp is not brought. The EV spread was made by Mateeus, and it allows Darmanitan to allow Darmanitan's Substitute live Blissey and Chansey's Seismic Toss, Galarian Corsola's Night Shade, and Choice Specs Aegislash's Shadow Sneak. I'm not nominating Darmanitan-Galar for a higher rank because I don't think that this set is S-rank-worthy, but I think it's a cool pick to build around.
Thanks for reading!

Neko

I think that Hawlucha is pretty good on Fighting, and do not think it is bad enough to warrant a C ranking. Using this set, Hawlucha can 1v1 many threats that would otherwise pose a huge threat to Fighting teams, namely Tapu Lele. This set is not without a few downsides though, notably losing to Toxapex.
Imo Endure Hawlucha is very hit or miss- Who's to say that the Fairy/Psychic users wont swap to Klefki (to Twave) or Slowbro to wall and kill it? SD P.herb is still nicer for its ability to possibly flinch, and in turn, kill the wall (Sky attack -> Acrobatics is a KO for Pex and Slowbro). I'd support an increase in ranking when the VR would be edited though, but not because of the endure set.

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
After the end of MPL IX, a survey was sent out to a mix of people who have either played SS Monotype in recent tournaments or have a high level of knowledge regarding the tier. The results for the survey can be found below.

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 5.20.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 5.20.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 5.20.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 5.20.47 PM.png

Considering the results of the survey, it is determined that the lack of sufficient support will lead to no tiering action taking place in SS Monotype.

Neko

SS Monotype resources have been updated! Here's what changed:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)