Project SS Monotype POTW #5: Sabella

approved by us
banner by Seo.

Welcome to the SS Monotype player interviews! During this project I will be interviewing a lot of influential players and contributors in today's community. I will also be interviewing some older faces in the Monotype community. This week, I have Sabella (Grandpa) with me.

1605236091677.png

Can you tell us a bit about your life outside of Smogon?

Of course. So to start I am 28 years old :Grandpa: and I work full time as a Senior Tax Accountant for a small Tax firm near my house. I currently have one class left to obtain my masters degree in accounting which will end summer of 2021. Still living at home but working on moving out with my girlfriend at the moment and renting an apartment. My life is mostly monopolized by work and school but when school is out I usually like to exercise as much as possible and just enjoy the weather. I like to watch anime a decent amount as well as other shows too but the list is to expansive to get into atm. I usually try to hang with friends when I have time and play wiffle ball or go hiking too. I also am a bowler and sub in my bosses league when they need me and I average about 220-225.

What do you think you are most known for in Monotype?

Probably just being around since the inception of what we know as monotype now. I would say also managing the Honchkrows and now having multiple titles is something I would be known for. I think most people would recognize me (at least back in the day) for my building. I was always trying to push the metagame and its boundries forward and come up with new ideas to make them standard. Now im known more for BW monotype id say as that is the main tier I play outside of CG which I usually only dabble in.

What made you play Pokemon competitively? What got you into Monotype and made you want to stay?

Well originally my best friend irl introduced me to PO in 2012 and we had fun playing together and casually on the ladder but then I went on vacation and never returned to PO. Then in 2014 the same friends introduced me to showdown. Naturally I went to the monotype ladder and started to play and gradually I got better and better and learned how to build teams and eventually befriended people on the ladder and got more involved. My interest just kept growing and as I learned more and increased my skills I just kept looking for ways to test them competitively.

What is your favorite Pokemon in general and favorite one to use competitively?

Oh that’s tough. I guess my favorite pokemon in general is Gardevoir although this is a hard choice. My favorite pokemon to use competitively is slowbro. Ive used him the most easily.

What is your favorite type in SS Monotype?

Hm I think what I found to the most consistent and fun to play was probably fairy but I would say my favorite type overall was normal so many fun mons to choose from.

You’ve seen the Monotype community go through a lot during the years, you yourself have changed a lot over these years. What are your thoughts on the present state of it? How do you think the community has changed for the better in the last couple of years, and how do you think the community can improve?

This is a pretty loaded question but I think the community is in great place overall at the moment. It seems to be ever growing and gaining increasing interest every team tournament. The skill level has increased overall amongst the players drastically since we first started and the resources available to players now compared to when I started are also extremely generous. Im not sure how the community can really improve it seems to be improving gradually so Id say keep on doing what you guys are doing.

How does it feel being older than everybody?

Eh. Kinda sucks actually. Lately I have felt a bit of a disconnection from most of the people on the site. Im not sure why but I feel like it has to do with me just being older and not really connecting with people. I will say though that the UU community has been more than receptive to me. The people involved are so nice and always reach out to help me.

Not Monotype related but good luck the rest of snake! How has that experience been?

Overall not bad. We are very close to qualifying for playoffs currently and I hope we do. My record is not great but that is due to my own errors mostly. I have turned it around recently winning 3 of my last 4 and I hope to continue winning. Getting to befriend many people I have not played with before has also been nice. Go Mambas!

Everyone knows you join up for every random tier on the planet, what would say has been your favorite outside of mono/ou and why? Can be from any gen

Well damn I don’t think I sign up for everything but I definitely enjoy playing a multitude of tiers as OU and Mono just became monotonous to me over the years. Id say my favorite is my current main tier SS UU but I’ve also enjoyed SM NU and SS LC so far. I think I enjoy UU so much this gen just because of the ability to use a bunch of pokemon that I haven’t really used before and the challenge of building in a tier I don’t know is exciting and new for me.

What do you think of the SS meta? What is your opinion on it compared to the SM Monotype meta?

Well since we DLC 2 just dropped I think the meta is still really new and fun. All brokens seemed to be banned but there are a ton of new mans to explore so im looking forward to that. It seems like a combo of oras + SM combined without broken megas and Z moves atm so I am a fan thus far.

We're close to the arrival of DLC two. Are you excited about anything returning in particular and/or do you have any thoughts on how that will impact monotype?

I am excited mainly for all the psychic and flying pokes returning. Zapdos Victini Moltres etc. Excited to tryout boots on some of the fun fire types as well. Im looking forward to returning because DLC 1 deff became stale for me at the end. Looking forward to MWP and seeing and building a ton of new teams.

Congrats on winning MPL! Lycan talked about this a bit but could you also talk about that experience and how your team came together after a slow start?

This past mpl took a ton of different lineup variations before we could really nail down something consistent. That was our biggest challenge this time around. I think they key was moving Star to ORAS and releasing Arch and Ima. Star was much more consistent in oras especially with Kaisers building. I knew what to expect from Ima and Arch so things went pretty smoothly after that. Jolly Togekiss as the season went on had become more and more useful in the building stages too really helping guide me in the SS building process and a lot of the time just taking care of teams himself.

Are there any up and coming players that have impressed you or that you think will make a mark in the community?

Hard to say who we consider up and coming at this point. I know he has already had one great tour now but Flossed Over I imagine will be a mainstay and a name to be remembered. Kyther and Makis Fox are both new names I have seen not only in monotype but popping up in other tours so I can see big things happening for these players too.

Do you have any advice for players new to Monotype and trying to get involved in the community (monotype or smogon in general)?

Practice. I smogon has so many tools for new players even if the site is hard to navigate. My advice is if you are wanting to learn more ask someone about forums and just keep practicing on ladder until you feel ready for tournaments then start joining those. Keep practicing building and analyzing. They are all keys for success.

Any advice on how to become a better player and teambuilder?

Not to reiterate what I’ve already said but practice. Specifically regarding teambuilding, history is your friend. Look back to the past for guidance and inspiration when building teams. You can get cores and ideas from old teams that you or other people have used. As far as playing I think its too hard to put into words one piece of advice I would give someone who might be just starting to play tournaments is to just remember to breathe and relax before games. Try to clear your mind and play without stressing. This will help you make better choices in game.

Can you show us a team you've been liking in SS and provide us an explanation as to what the team is about and how to use it?

Think Id be doing a disservice to the community supplying one of my current dogshit SS Mono teams as most of em are unpolished atm. Once I make a SS team that I really like and find consistent I will post in the thread.

Favorite People on PS?

Theres too many to list em all. I will list the few groups Ive been around for years though. S/O Woa discord, East boys and all the lovely UU community people. Special shout to Freeroamer, Chait, Wanka, Isza Amir Rabbit and Xray.

Top 5 or 10 players in mono in your opinion?

Well, this is a bit of a loaded question. Currently I think its hard to say but I will rank my top 5 from the time period of 2014-2020 meaning I will say who I think the top players have been through this period. Some might be retired so please no one get offended. I will exclude myself from any list as well.
1. Lycan
2. TheThorn
3. Paleo
4. Clearly
5. Zuku

Any last words you want to leave us with?

Nope not really. If anyone would like me to expand on the questions please let me know and I will.

Thank you Sabella for answering my questions, Feel free to ask him questions in the thread!

Last edited:

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heya, I am a huge fan of your work over the past and thank you so much again for the aid in the UU tour! Thank you for our conversations also, looking up to such players in big tournaments really inspires and strives me to be right in that place in the near future
Q:
How long have you been playing oras and what's your favorite type to play?
Do you still enjoy playing the meta or has your interests for it faded away~
How long does it take you to build for teams for tournaments because it takes me at least a week to finalize stuff (I literally point out a series of cores) and visit it over a period of time so I won't stress myself out lol
What is your stance on Mega Gyarados being able to mega on Flying-type teams in ORAS. I personally feel like its weird yes but I see it as a unique aspect to separate the generations of Monotype despite (ss having no mega, sm having megas + zs , oras having megas, bw endless weather) but its just been here for so long I believe and its not worth changing something so unique ig??

Ah yes someone I never really had the chance to talk much too during my long run here

What starting advice would you give to newer monotype players that you wish you received when you started playing?

Are there any retired users you miss playing against?

What current SS OMs do you recommend? I currently played a tour of Cross-evolution and that was like a breath of fresh air

What advice would you give to the monotype mains that want to branch out into the tournament scene as staples like some others? (You, Lax, Zukushiku, thethorn, Chait, Lycan, me illegally)

What do you think are the qualities needed to winning Monotype team tours?

If monotype players were stocks in the NASDAQ, DOW Jones, or S&P500 market, what would you buy out of the following options:
Chait (APPLE Stock)
Attribute (Walmart Stock)
Paleo (Tesla Stock)
Eien (Twitter Stock)

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Complete the sentence: You will always be a _____

How did it feel to scum me out of my second MPL ring for the 2nd time this year?
If you were to pick someone out of woa to MoA your lawn who would it be and why would it be wanker?
Are you gonna play AAA again this year mwp?
Who is your favorite fictional Barian character out of: 1) Isza 2) Namion 3) Angel's throne 4) Riku Strikes Back

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Heya, I am a huge fan of your work over the past and thank you so much again for the aid in the UU tour! Thank you for our conversations also, looking up to such players in big tournaments really inspires and strives me to be right in that place in the near future
Q:
How long does it take you to build for teams for tournaments because it takes me at least a week to finalize stuff (I literally point out a series of cores) and visit it over a period of time so I won't stress myself out lol
What is your stance on Mega Gyarados being able to mega on Flying-type teams in ORAS. I personally feel like its weird yes but I see it as a unique aspect to separate the generations of Monotype despite (ss having no mega, sm having megas + zs , oras having megas, bw endless weather) but its just been here for so long I believe and its not worth changing something so unique ig??
I have been playing oras/XY since i started on showdown in late 2013. As far as my fav type to play in ORAS Mono it would have to be psychic or flying due to how versatile those types are.
I do still enjoy playing the meta but not a daily basis. I enjoy playing it in tours but i think alot of the things i build tend to be slightly outdated so i usually have to run ideas by kaiser or cell before actually playing
haha It totally depends. Sometimes it can take me literally 3 hours to build test and be satisfied with a team but if its something im not as comfortable with it can also take me all week too. One of games for snake i spent all week tweaking a team and making adjustments. As the generation gets older building does seem to get easier.
Yea so i started oras with it being allowed on flying teams. I think it is unique to the gen as well and at this point it seems odd to retroactively ban it. I dont think anyone has argued that its OP or centralizing so I think keeping it is fine.

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Ah yes someone I never really had the chance to talk much too during my long run here

What starting advice would you give to newer monotype players that you wish you received when you started playing?

What current SS OMs do you recommend? I currently played a tour of Cross-evolution and that was like a breath of fresh air
Probably more than anything how to build properly and how to learn to play from behind. I think its real easy in pokemon to just not fight back when behind and I wish someone told me earlier that when you are behind you have nothing to lose so you need to be really aggressive when happens i guess.

No one i can think of at the moment

hm Well if you mean Mono OMs i adore mono LC but of overall oms i think my fav has always been AAA

Sabella

formerly Booty
What advice would you give to the monotype mains that want to branch out into the tournament scene as staples like some others? (You, Lax, Zukushiku, thethorn, Chait, Lycan, me illegally)

If monotype players were stocks in the NASDAQ, DOW Jones, or S&P500 market, what would you buy out of the following options:
Chait (APPLE Stock)
Paleo (Tesla Stock)
Eien (Twitter Stock)
Well I can see some of them are already doing it. But the real key is just continued practice with all different team ideas and strategies so that in tournament situations you arent nervous to try to pull off more experimental ideas. As time goes on most people will get better with their play by virtue of laddering or forum tournaments.

I dont know if there is one specific quality. I think teambuilding is easily the most important factor but it also requires you to know how to play certain mus as well. Making sure you are certain on matchups that you might be disadvantaged can be crucial.

Chait (APPLE Stock)
Paleo (Tesla Stock)
Eien (Twitter Stock)

LOL Apple and Walmart. The other two stocks have fallen time to sell bros

Sabella

formerly Booty
Complete the sentence: You will always be a _____

How did it feel to scum me out of my second MPL ring for the 2nd time this year?
If you were to pick someone out of woa to MoA your lawn who would it be and why would it be wanker?
Who is your favorite fictional Barian character out of: 1) Isza 2) Namion 3) Angel's throne 4) Riku Strikes Back

LOL amazing. You know this but i said your team was among the best right at the start of the tournament and you didnt disappoint. Despite the finals being completely lopsided in score we were prepared for a good fight. I hope we matchup again in finals of MWP.

Oh it would for sure have to be Christopher Beauregard Wankerson III of elite Wankerson family. Making that entitled rat mow my lawn would be extremely gratifying. I will of course be sipping some lemonade while yelling italian stereotypes at him.

Fuck No. I just finally got my sheet record to even no way am i going to screw it up going 2-5 in AAgarbAge.

Isza fa sho

You put alot of monotype players on in terms of introducing then to the tournament scene and I respect that alot. What steps do you think the community should take in trying to branch out to other tiers?

Sabella

formerly Booty
Do you mean what steps players in the community that only play monotype currently should take to try and branch out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)