Project SS Monotype POTW #2: Decem

approved by us
banner by Seo.

Welcome to the first edition of SS Monotype player interviews! During this project we will be interviewing a lot of influential players and contributors in today's community. We will also be interviewing some older faces in the Monotype community, since a lot changes over the years, both metagame and player wise. This week, I will continue the series by interviewing one of my CO-TLs, Decem.

Decem

Decem

Can you tell us a bit about your life outside of Smogon?

I live in southern California and I’ll be starting my senior year of high school in the fall. I don’t really know what I want to do when I grow up which is why I’ll probably be trying to go to community college, but I’m thinking something along the lines of teaching. I like doodling a lot, hate math, love cats, and run track and field as well as cross country.

What are you most known for?

MonoTL, PS RO, I host resources, tutor and manage C&C too

What made you play Pokemon competitively? What got you into Monotype and made you want to stay?

I saw my friend’s brother playing PS one day and I thought it was cool. Checked it out and played random battles and sometimes OU with weird teams, some of them were Monotype. At the time leagues were pretty huge and I got pmed on main to join one, and I tried out and got in. I started playing Monotype in Summer 2016, eventually getting voice in January 2018 and I’ve been around since.

What is/are your favorite type(s) in SS Monotype?

Water and Dragon. Water's always pretty fun to build and one of the most consistent types out there right now as a result of being able to adapt well depending on what you want to beat while still being consistent against the majority of the metagame. Dragon's nowhere as flexible team structure wise but its consistency puts it as a personal favorite this generation.

What do you think of the SS meta? What is your opinion on it compared to the SM Monotype meta?

It’s weird to look at this metagame now and compare it to way back when Dynamax was allowed. SM was cool because Z-moves in particular were able to make Monotype less matchup based as tech options, with a prime example of Greninja who could run a variety of Z-moves to lure key defensive Pokemon in and break down entire types with its coverage and Protean. I disliked pre DLC SS Monotype because it felt like you had to rely on matchup more as a result of not being able to cover your weaknesses as well through teambuilding, but the metagame will only improve as more Pokemon are added.

How do you think DLC has affected the SS meta?

As the DLCs release balance is going to become more and more prominent in SS. It’s interesting to see how far SS meta has come since Dynamax was present. Monotype was mainly offensive then, but that has shifted slowly and slowly towards balance and bulky offense as a result of Dyanmax getting banned, taking off pressure from defensive Pokemon, Pokemon Home providing a wider distribution of Defog and Toxic, and DLCs dropping more and more Pokemon which allows more types to form competent defensive cores. People were playing with balanced Water with good success more before DLC hit too. Flying will come back full force when it gets an electric immunity that isnt emolga. Otherwise this should go without saying but the DLC release has done a good job of making the metagame more diverse, but at the same time I think I would enjoy it more if it didn’t drop in the middle of MPL as it can be confusing prepping. It also makes tiering more complicated as a result of the shifting metagames and will probably result in more Pokemon getting resuspected down the line.

You’ve seen the Monotype community go through a lot during the years, you yourself have changed a lot over this years (ghost cream ;w;) what are your thoughts on the present state of it?

Monotype is one of the biggest and at the same time tightest communities on Smogon. I see a lot of people that are trying to make a name playing wise and some throughout contributions too, so that’s also good. I would like to help Monotype grow bigger as a community but at the same time, but tight like it is now. I would like to see Monotype get into official tournaments at some point in time, but a lot of people that haven’t tried the tier compare it to “rock paper scissors”, which is blatantly untrue. Impressive how far we’ve come from being an OM though, so I hope this community will continue to grow even bigger. Leadership in general right now is pretty new but we’re getting used to things pretty quickly.

MPL is in full flow! How do you think your team has come along? What areas do you feel like your team needs to improve in? and how is it managing with community villain Perish Song?.

My team is in a pretty good position at the moment especially as the underdogs, so the main thing is keeping up our efforts to perform and make playoffs. Perish Song was busy for the first few weeks but I think he’ll do fine in SS now that he has more free time. I didn’t agree with what he did in the draft which caused a lot of backlash but he didn’t mean any disrespect and isn’t a bad person at all.

Are there any up and coming players that have impressed you or that you think will make a mark in the community?

Yedla and Mateeus on my team are people that I think have potential, and have both been helpful on my team since the tournament started. I'm surprised Mateeus wasn't picked up for previous MPLs considering he has been involved with the community for a long time. Other names include Floss and Dieu Amphibien that are also people I’d watch out for. I also think Roxiee has potential to become a long time contributor as they are trying to contribute to room, C&C and on forums alongside improving playing wise.

Do you have any advice for players new to Monotype or trying to improve and get more involved in the community?

For improving just try to keep your chin up and find mistakes in you as a player you can fix. It does take a long time, but you’ll get there eventually if you keep the hard work up. As for getting involved in the community, there are a lot of ways you can do so. Having success in tournaments is one, but there are other ways like helping others throughout various contributions that people will eventually come to respect you for. Generally if you keep a good attitude and continue the hard work, you’ll eventually become involved in the community assuming you’re a good person. BLT is a good tournament that is particularly nice for getting newer guys involved in the monotype tournament scene, despite many people looking down on it. I can always help if you're trying to get more involved with the community so just PM me if you have any questions.

Can you show us a team you've been liking in SS and provide us an explanation as to what the team is about and how to use it?

https://pokepast.es/3f63d8299d356769
Been liking Dragon a lot because of Dragalge. Dragalge patches up the Psychic and Fairy matchups well because of Toxic Spikes and Flip Turn allows it to avoid being a momentum sap. You can get t spikes up against the types they threaten very well, especially fairy and psychic where you can 1v1 hatterene. Protect is to scout for choice locked pokemon like indeedee, gardevoir, and to get back passive recovery. Rest of the team is pretty standard, fat duraludon helps repeatedly switch into jirachi against psychic and cripples a lot of things nicely with twave. Choice scarf noivern is nice since u can switcheroo hazard pokemon and defog them away after locking them into one attack, and mess up setup like corviknight, jirachi, and snorlax. Dragons a pretty consistent type that is easy to pilot so id recommend it if you’re starting out and trying to get into mono

Favorite People on PS? Top 3-5 players in mono?

Favorite people on PS would probably be just mono people I talk to on a daily basis which includes Ticken, Top 3-5 right now would probably be Chaitanya, 1 True Lycan, Zukushiku, Sabella, Leru

Any last words you want to leave us with?

FUCK THE PR GO MILOTICS. Goodbye! Goodbye! Goodbye everyone!

Feel free to ask any Decem any questions in this thread, and expect another interview next week!

Last edited:
What is ur fastest 5k time?
Why do u like Kpop so much?
Why do u hate math ?
Why did ur co-manager snake so many players during mpl?
Who is ur favorite non monotype player to watch?
If you were stuck on a deserted island and you could only bring three items. What three items would u bring with you?
Do you consider yourself a weeb?
I got a math problem I need help with if ya can help me. Could you factor and solve for x in the equation y = 2x^4 + 11x^3+5x^2 for me?

Does the name Decem have anything to do with December the month?

Also have you tried band vish on dragon and what are your thoughts on it? (either way)

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Hello Decem! Long time fan and friend <3.

Who is your favorite kpop artist? (please don't be bts)
Do you like working with your fellow TL's?
How does it feel being the most viewed video on my channel? (140+ views)
Favorite Fighting-type and why?
Have you listened to katamari damacy and we love katamari's OST's? They are like kpop but way better.
Favorite anime?
Favorite Food?
Why did you change from ghost cream and not into phantom gelato :(
Thoughts on avocado toast?
How strict is your mother?
What subject are you interested in teaching, if you do pursue it?
What do you hate the most about school?
What do you love the most about school?
Since you are my friend what would you say my best quality is? (Not trying to gloat, just curious)
Who is the nicest user on PS?
Why isn't lanturn your favorite pokemon?
What is the most annoying thing in each generation of monotype starting from gen?

I'll add more after this batch...

I remember when Decem was just a scrub in the monotype room

God ive been here too fucking long

Anyways one question ive been wondering to know is which of the gens of monotype (5-8 since 4 isn't that well played or developed) do you like to play the most?
Which of the users who retired/don't come on much anymore do you miss?
Why do you love Goodra so much? I like it design wise but its not what I call a "true favorite"

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Answering these early upon Got Cookies's request
What is ur fastest 5k time?
Why do u like Kpop so much?
Why do u hate math ?
Why did ur co-manager snake so many players during mpl?
Who is ur favorite non monotype player to watch?
If you were stuck on a deserted island and you could only bring three items. What three items would u bring with you?
Do you consider yourself a weeb?
I got a math problem I need help with if ya can help me. Could you factor 2x^4 + 11x^3+5x^2 for me?
1. 19:05
2. It sounds good
3. I'm awful at it
4. Read interview
5. Don't really have a favorite player but I like playing OU/RU outside of Monotype. So I like watching really anyone that plays in a high level there
6. Fresh water, a lot of rice, and my phone. As a chinese person you can never go wrong with rice
7. No
8. X^2(2x+1)(x+5), X = 0,-5,-1/2
Does the name Decem have anything to do with December the month?

Also have you tried band vish on dragon and what are your thoughts on it? (either way)
1. Yes, my birthday is in December so I just took out the ber
2. It's a really strong breaker but struggles with teamslots. My favorite Dragon is the 6 I posted above, Dracovish itself is getting harder to fit on teams and should probably drop down to C
Hello Decem! Long time fan and friend <3.

Who is your favorite kpop artist? (please don't be bts)
Do you like working with your fellow TL's?
How does it feel being the most viewed video on my channel? (140+ views)
Favorite Fighting-type and why?
Have you listened to katamari damacy and we love katamari's OST's? They are like kpop but way better.
Favorite anime?
Favorite Food?
Why did you change from ghost cream and not into phantom gelato :(
Thoughts on avocado toast?
How strict is your mother?
What subject are you interested in teaching, if you do pursue it?
What do you hate the most about school?
What do you love the most about school?
Since you are my friend what would you say my best quality is? (Not trying to gloat, just curious)
Who is the nicest user on PS?
Why isn't lanturn your favorite pokemon?
What is the most annoying thing in each generation of monotype starting from gen?

I'll add more after this batch...
1. Girls' Day
2. Yes

4. Marshadow, I honestly hate the rest of them and a Ghost typing is unique
5. Nope
6. Avocado is great, so yes it sounds good
7. Very
8. Art
9. Learning is a double edged sword and can honestly be pretty frustrating sometimes especially for someone that has a really hard time focusing
10. Learning, and all the people you meet in school
11. Your tendency to make people laugh, I honestly like fucking around with you a lot since you're a funny guy but you have to cut down on the self depreciation
12. Three way tie between Ticken, DrReuniclus, and Tapo Collino
13. It looks dumb
14. 5: stallrein
6. Keep on forgetting the mega evolution speed mechanic in ORAS as someone who started playing competitively in SM so that
7. Kommo-o, Greninja and Celesteela. You always have to watch out for Kommo-o in the back as its relatively easy to just fire off its Z-move and collect kills. Greninja can run a lot of sets to break virtually any type in the metagame, and defensive Celesteela is just pretty annoying to break in general.
8. Heavy Duty Boots, Teleport
I remember when Decem was just a scrub in the monotype room

God ive been here too fucking long

Anyways one question ive been wondering to know is which of the gens of monotype (5-8 since 4 isn't that well played or developed) do you like to play the most?
Which of the users who retired/don't come on much anymore do you miss?
Why do you love Goodra so much? I like it design wise but its not what I call a "true favorite"
1. The creativity of SM is what makes me like it the most and is my favorite Monotype generation by far, SS is second
2. Haaku. was someone that I was really close to when I started out but doesn't come on much anymore and has moved onto other things. Sometimes you wish your day 1s were here with you but everyone moves on at some point
3. Goodra's unique as a psuedo because it's not the stereotypical "scary" theme that they have I feel, which I think makes it stand out. Obviously terrible in Monotype, but its a personal favorite for that reason

What has been your least favorite type to build a team around? Why?

Have you tried other metagames outside of Monotype? What was the experience like?

What has been your least favorite gen of Monotype to play?

What has been your favorite archetype to play? Your least favorite?

If you had to ban one pokemon from your favorite type, what would it be and why?

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
What has been your least favorite type to build a team around? Why?

Have you tried other metagames outside of Monotype? What was the experience like?

What has been your least favorite gen of Monotype to play?

What has been your favorite archetype to play? Your least favorite?

If you had to ban one pokemon from your favorite type, what would it be and why?
1. Rock, undoubtedly the worst type at the moment and you have to really pick and choose which matchups you want to be winnable with it
2. I play other tiers like UU/OU/RU occasionally and they’re pretty enjoyable to say the least
3. Pre Home SS was horrible, otherwise not as familiar with gens 5/6
4. Greninja from SM Water, can easily corner any type in the metagame with the correct set and can be extremely unpredictable
How did you get into Smogon?

Favorite K-Pop band?

Favorite Pokémon to use in Monotype?
1. Eventually started using it after playing Monotype for a while and first post was some garbage in a metagame discussion thread
2. Favorite group is probably Girls’ Day atm shoutouts gorex
3. Greninja, can be frustrating to go against but at the same time it’s really fun to build around because of its unpredictability. Has 12+ viable moves it can use depending on set and what you want to beat which makes it easily the most flexible Pokemon in the SM metagame
Why is your signing voice so bad?
:(
is it gonna end the third week after you have interviewed zap?
Chaitanya will be doing these from here but no, he’s planning on interviewing more people. Stay tuned!

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. On a scale of 1-10, how cancer do you think it is that you and chait interviewed each other on separate threads a.k.a sucked each other off?
2. What do you think of the two talk show hosts beefing LMAO jimmy kimmel and the other jimmy, fuck whats his name again?
3. Hey do you know the name of that TD that cheated in their own tour or smth by rigging the matchups? What was their original name again?
4. Ngl I can't believe you leaked mono secrets to choke though, at least tell us why you did it?
5. Can you help me w/ something? Do you know who maki's fox is playing this week in MPL?
6. Do you plan on signing up for OUDN?
7. Related to the maki's one, do you know who dugza is playing this week in MPL?
8. What do you think of the new moves that came out recently? Specifically urshifu dark's signature and that new psychic terrain move? What are they called again
9. What's the type w/ the most resistances? Like what resists fire, water, grass etc.
10. What is the best archetype for Mono you think? Or at least the most well rounded archetype?

mushamu

God jihyo
1. On a scale of 1-10, how cancer do you think it is that you and chait interviewed each other on separate threads a.k.a sucked each other off?
2. What do you think of the two talk show hosts beefing LMAO jimmy kimmel and the other jimmy, fuck whats his name again?
3. Hey do you know the name of that TD that cheated in their own tour or smth by rigging the matchups? What was their original name again?
4. Ngl I can't believe you leaked mono secrets to choke though, at least tell us why you did it?
5. Can you help me w/ something? Do you know who maki's fox is playing this week in MPL?
6. Do you plan on signing up for OUDN?
7. Related to the maki's one, do you know who dugza is playing this week in MPL?
8. What do you think of the new moves that came out recently? Specifically urshifu dark's signature and that new psychic terrain move? What are they called again
9. What's the type w/ the most resistances? Like what resists fire, water, grass etc.
10. What is the best archetype for Mono you think? Or at least the most well rounded archetype?
1. 2
2. I don't watch talk shows so unfortunately so i wouldn't know. However I am planning to watch some anime after I finish summer classes. LuckyPiper has already shown me some tear jerkers that are on my to do list at the moment
3. Bushtush, although he didn't rig the matchups
4. Didn't leak anything but it is true that there are no friends in MPL :pirate: (don't leak regardless though)
5. aren't they facing your team? please pay attention to the tournament Zarif..
6. i do not planning on signing up for OU in Discord pl, iNstead i'll go for a monotype slot if it is there :]
7. pork chop man
8. looking at the bigger picture, urshifu is a hot topic at the moment and I'm interested to see how it plays out as the metagame develops. It isn't as extreme as rapid strike as terms of unhealthiness due to the inferior team support, but it is still something to keep an eye on. terrains in general are pretty good atm especially with the new moves being released. however, the initial vote for terrain extender was p close and it ended up staying freed, but it has turned out to be healthy in my opinion especially considering the terrains themselves have gotten nerfs this generation. could turn out to be unhealthy when dlc 2 along with the tapus drop though
9. Steel has the most resistances, however it is weak to Fire and neutral to Water
10. Really depends on the type, different types can pull off different playstyles effectively. Some like Water can pull off multiple, which is why i like it a ton

Last edited:
CTRL+F --> penguin --> 0 results found

yeah this question thread is bad
Lets improve this, also hi decem man

Do you like penguins? why or why not?

What do you think of Happy Feet movie?

Why more people dont have penguins like pets?

Why Club Penguin closed?

Was eiscue a good design or it sucks? delibird? and empoleon?

Was Penguin a good batman enemy or no?

I think this is all for now, get a linux penguin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)