Metagame SS Monotype Metagame Discussion [Crown Tundra]

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think you are just theorizing what the metagame would be like if Melmetal did leave and I agree I’m a bit bored of this discussion we’ve been having for a good bit. However, what the metagame would look like IF Melmetal leaves shouldn’t be the determination of ban/do not ban if we do get a suspect test for it. If xyz becomes problematic, council will simply look at that afterwards but we have to deal with abc first.

I think you are just theorizing what the metagame would be like if Melmetal did leave and I agree I’m a bit bored of this discussion we’ve been having for a good bit. However, what the metagame would look like IF Melmetal leaves shouldn’t be the determination of ban/do not ban if we do get a suspect test for it. If xyz becomes problematic, council will simply look at that afterwards but we have to deal with abc first.
My argument wasn’t that we should keep melmetal around based on theorization, I don’t have any issues with suspecting mons that might be broken in the future. I am saying that it should be kept in mind when discussing melmetal instead of repeating talking points everyone knows or bringing up calcs that aren’t relevant to the discussion. I don’t disagree with you.

Melmetal's restrictive nature in the teambuilder is felt on all playstyles and threatens even the best defensive cores in the game, with substitute devastating stall and some balanced builds, where assault vest heavily pressuring what would be Melmetal checks on offense and choice band is another case of a mon clicking buttons until they win. We all know the calcs and the power level that Melmetal brings to the table and its been talked about to death. Steel perfectly supports this mon with the immunity core backing it up (I still don't think the core is broken, melmetal just makes dealing with it worse, there are better cores in the metagame besides this one defensively) + spikes, rapid spin and healing wish support.
On the other hand, Melmetal's pitiful speed stat and the wide spread of steel resists makes choice banded melmetal exploitable especially since banded trades off a lot of melmetal's longevity on a mon that dislikes spikes heavily. Yes, melmetal has plenty of coverage to take on what would be coming in on double iron bash, namely celesteela, toxapex etc. which makes the problem harder to deal with, however the set that melmetal ends up running really makes your approach to handling melmetal's coverage different.
This is something I don't understand. If you're of the opinion that the combination of melmetal + Heatran (an member of the immunity core) is unhealthy, and if you agree that neither are unhealthy by itself (I don't see anyone arguing that melmetal by itself is broken/unhealthy/whatever), all things equal, doesn't it make sense to suspect what is by far the better mon? Almost everyone would agree that, on steel, Heatran is by far the better mon having nearly 100% usage while Melmetal remains a niche B rank wallbreaker.

I, for one, would thoroughly enjoy a metagame without Heatran; it would allow Psychic users to freely run Band tini instead of the substitute set made just to snipe Heatran; and I would expect to see a surge of alternative scarfers (such as scarf Hydregion, Darm Galar, salazzle for example). Banning Heatran would lead to more diversity in builds, as I would expect sunny day grass to make a comeback, among other playstyles. If anything should be suspected on Steel, I would like it to be Heatran because it is unhealthy.

Last edited:

roxie

is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We just hand out tiering contributor like trick or treat candy atp. Psychic and Grass are quite capable of beating Steel and Steel teams had already started adjusting to Sunny Day Grass teams by using priority spam, Max spd mirror armor Corviknight, and/or Occa berry users like Jirachi, Corviknight, and Excadrill so the metagame just adjusted to such a play style. Banning Corviknight and Celesteela improves Rock and Ground types and pretty much anything has an outcome of improving a type but like I said these types and the majority of the metagame is able to handle Heatran quite fine lol. “Ban pokemon that are broken/unhealthy/uncompetitive”

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts. I understand that the council might be a bit busy. Let's suspect melmetal. See what the rest of the community thinks, not just those who post. Have it be a short suspect: like 1 week.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Uh I think a short suspect would be very bad, as most people have lives too, so the sample size would be smaller if ever .-.

On Melmetal, I have found people are a bit used to just switching out whenever this guy comes in, so Sub+3 Attacks is somehow much better in bullying than choice band (which is pretty exploitable unless you are Dark, Fairy, Rock, or Ice). I chose Eq-Tpunch combo because anything (except Ferrothorn) that resists those gets smacked by DIB anyway.

But umm, if you want to point out banning Melmetal, is Melmetal any different than Sub-NP Hydreigon, BU Urshifu-Rapid (or even Banded), Galarian Moltres, Sub-Roost/Choice Specs Kyurem, Sub-CM Spectrier, and BU Cinderace? All of the mons I listed break several other types by itself, less prone to chip damage, and are faster than Melm. Also Melmetal is Imo a thing that you have to check offensively, much like Sub-Roost Kyurem. Assuming you aren't a type that has a weakness mu to steel, you can dent this thing heavily or cripple it (for Ghost or Elec mus) so that at most it'll only claim one mon before dying.

Also there's a lot of techs across different types that already bully steel, such as:
  • Sub-ID Kommo-o and Hydreigon for Dragon
  • Galarian Moltres and Hydreigon for Dark
  • BD Azu (Knock OHKO's Ferrothorn, while Waterfall OHKO's Melmetal), Tapu Bulu, and Togekiss for Fairy
  • Volcanion and Urshifu-Rapid for Water
  • Nidoking himself for Poison (though you would rather scout what the Melm is, and Steel vs Poison is usually on Poison's favor because Instant recovery + Nidoking> Better defensive typing). If Melmetal gets a Sub up tho...it becomes ugly :]
  • Dragonite, Landorus, Galarian Moltres, and Galarian Zapdos for Flying
  • Magnezone (Air Balloon) + Zeraora for Elec
If Melm is banned, the counterplay against Galarian Moltres, Sub-NP Hydreigon, and most Pokemon that bully Steel will be reduced. Also Steel isn't that good anymore everyone hits too hard and Scarf Exca simply cannot keep up anymore, we're using Melm to counter ur Steel counters. I think Poison is the stallier one / has the better defensive core now as it allows you to correct mistakes much quicker because they regenerate HP, unlike Steel where one mistake puts you in a extremely scary situation.

Last edited:
The post above raised a valid point. As such, I can safe deduce that the meta right now is pretty stable, no need for bans/unbans. As such, to shake things up, I decided to analyze all the new pokemon coming to BDSP. So far, there are rumors that megas are back. However, rumors are rumors, not confirmed. What I think is confirmed is the platinum dex, at least all pokemon from platinum dex are going to be back. Here is my analysis on how the meta will change.

:Torterra: might help grass in the steel and fire MU, might help ground in the water MU, but overall, pretty bad
:Infernape: The one and only steel killer, fire and fighting are gonna be a lot better
:Empoleon: Has a minor niche on steel, ok niche on water, great addition
:Staraptor: POGGERS normal will love this, flying might enjoy a strong attacker
:Bibarel: useless outside of meme simple sets
:Kricketune: Garbage
:Golem: Why use this over rhyperior
:Rampardos: TOO SLOW
:Bastiodon: Garbage
:Wormadam: garbage, literally
:Mothim: pretty bad, has quiver dance, outclassed by even butterfree
:Beautifly: pretty bad, has quiver dance, outclassed
:Dustox: pretty bad, has quiver dance, out classed by even venomoth
:Pachirisu: unless ur the Sejun Park of mono, electric is prob not gonna use it
:Floatzel: just bad, outclassed
:Ambipom: adaptabillity is nice, but very outclassed
:Honchkrow: just a worse manidbuzz/goltres
:Purugly: fast but bad attack
:Chimecho: Garbage
:Medicham: TOO SLOW
:Chatot: bad
:Girafarig: garbage
:Carnivine: garbage
:Lumineon: garbage
:Gliscor: Nice alternative to lando, poison heal is noice, might work better on stall teams or act as better defensive lando
:Probopass: bad, use stakataka
:Houndoom: too frail, bad
:Yanmega: Kinda bad, speed boost and tinted lens are great, typing is bad, HDB might help it a lot
:Tropius: Trash
:Giratina: Ubers
:Palkia: Ubers
:Dialga: Ubers
:Manaphy: Tail glow is probably back, meaning xurkitree might get a small niche, for manaphy, water gets a strong wallbreaker. If tail glow is gone, manaphy is probably gonna be bad

Overall, under my assumptions, Here is the tier list of how impactful pokemon are going to be(unviable ones not included)

Definitively change the meta: :infernape:, :staraptor:, :gliscor:, :manaphy:

Might affect meta a bit: :Torterra:(borderline not viable), :empoleon:

roxie

I don’t think Torterra will be bad, I think it’s getting Shell Smash and that’s definitely explorable considering it’s EdgeQuake coverage. Being able to Rock Polish and Swords Dance in one turn is something Torterra been dreaming for.

Empoleon will be pretty neat for Kyurem notably on Water teams. Agility sets can be a thing maybe with Ice Beam to cteam the Dragon / Flying (non-Mantine teams) but it relies on the nerfed Petaya Berry and Weakness Policy to get a boost.

Medicham is also something I’ll try out on Fighting teams. It’s probably like C / D at best on the VR because it’s Huge Power and coverage in Ice/Thunder Punch. I think it’ll be able to pick up some KOs every time it comes in. It’s a weird interaction with Steel teams however because of Aegislash and Celesteela fishing the HJK recoil with Protect/KS.

Staraptor is gonna be good maybe for Normal but idt it’s enough to put Normal in it’s proper place nor being metagame changing like Infernape perhaps but we’ll see.

I wonder how Empoleon will fare on Steel. It's one of my favorite starters but Steel's core just feels so important that it feels hard to give up any for Empoleon
Empoleon, I'd argue is an alternative to heatran. It's a decent check to fire team. It has access to aqua jet which can help pick off weakened cinderaces. However, I think heatran will still out class it since empoleon is mere neutral to fire, not resistant.

Empoleon, I'd argue is an alternative to heatran. It's a decent check to fire team. It has access to aqua jet which can help pick off weakened cinderaces. However, I think heatran will still out class it since empoleon is mere neutral to fire, not resistant.
What about lets say being an alternative to Ferrothorn? Same Water resist, can soak up Fire hits better for the team in general, but has a Ground/Electric weakness instead.

Also, can act as a Stealth Rocker, also gets Knock Off. Can also fish for Scald burns, or run Toxic. Also has Roar to act as a phazer. Not sure if it's viable but a Weakness Policy Agility set?

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
What about lets say being an alternative to Ferrothorn? Same Water resist, can soak up Fire hits better for the team in general, but has a Ground/Electric weakness instead.

Also, can act as a Stealth Rocker, also gets Knock Off. Can also fish for Scald burns, or run Toxic. Also has Roar to act as a phazer. Not sure if it's viable but a Weakness Policy Agility set?
Ferrothorn is usually used in steel to eat earthquakes, leech seed to annoy enemies and threaten Ground, Water types such as Seis, Hippo, etc. Empy on the other hand...can take Water-type attacks..but cannot threaten these guys out. Empy also cannot threaten Ground-types out because they're usually physical and Empy has poor defenses and is slow. At least Ferro can punish/deter Urshifu-R from clicking surging because its spiky and whip Hippo/get a free whip whenever someone not named Choice Band Excadrill Earthquakes. Its niche could be not getting instantly murdered by Volcanion and Heatran (which is not bad), but I think breakers will still be better than more (?) defensive utility.
Also, it kinda sucks in beating Cinderace:
252+ Atk Empoleon Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace in Sun: 66-80 (21.9 - 26.5%) -- 13.6% chance to 4HKO [Plus Cinders can just click sucker (but why?) like how it deals with Choice Scarf Exca, or Cinders just decides to OHKO with HJK (you need +Def to live it)]

On the other hand,Torterra has a cool niche of not falling to Azumarill's Aqua Jet (you can die to +6 Waterfall tho), and can outspeed Azu to OHKO it...which is nice until you remember Seismitoad :psycry:

Last edited:

twinkay

la bella vita
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't really think the current Steel discussion is going anywhere - saying Steel's immunity core is broken feels like a pretty useless argument. There was already an Aegislash suspect and it didn't get banned, and if there was any broken piece to Steel's defensive core that would have been it. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision but it's just the reality of the situation. Heatran is definitely not broken, it just means you can't 6-0 Steel with a Fire-type, so you have to build smarter. Every other good type has Pokemon like this or have offensive archetypes that allow them to bypass their natural weaknesses.

The Melmetal discussion got derailed because of certain people uselessly arguing for two pages which is unfortunate because it's a discussion that definitely needs to be had. I think it's obvious that it's an extremely strong wallbreaker and very few types have decent switch-ins to it. When it comes to a strong wallbreaker, the next question is whether there is sufficient offensive counterplay to it. I'd say for Melmetal the answer is no. It has enormous bulk that makes it extremely difficult to KO, and offensive mons will get punished by DIB or a coverage move. The main disadvantage of Melmetal is that it can be forced to take damage and trade 1-for-1 by some teams, but you're often going to have to trade your main Steel breaker which can often be game-losing. A lot of common types like Dragon / Flying / Poison / Psychic / Water (to an extent) have to resort to pivoting around it and can be dismantled by a Melmetal user with the right set and / or with good prediction. Other types like Ice / Fairy which have disadvantageous but not unlosable matchups vs Steel in this meta will autolose to this mon without extreme tech that even then a Melmetal user can be aware of (ex: Grudge). It's large set / coverage diversity can also make it extremely difficult to predict.

I think a Melmetal suspect is warranted, but it's not really the main reason I made this post. The main reason I made this post was to discuss Kyurem and Moltres-G.

Kyurem is extremely restrictive in the current meta. It has 3 very viable sets in Specs, DD Icicle Spear, and Sub Freeze Dry which all force different counterplay, and can punish counterplay to the wrong set very effectively. The “checks” to Freeze-Dry sets are very sad and get worn down / punished very easily (ex: Celesteela on Flying, Slowking on Water) - Water especially is can be extremely awkward to build with the only decent Kyurem Freeze Dry switch in being Walrein lmao. Kyurem obviously doesn’t make types like Water, Flying, Ground, etc. unviable, these are all still good types, but often to build a more cohesive team that beats most of the metagame you just have to hope you don’t run into it or make more drastic plays to pressure it offensively. And most types have no good checks to it, especially without pre-knowledge of the set it’s running. I think I would compare it most to something like Urshifu, where it can be outplayed offensively and is by no means unbeatable, but requires very constrained building and gameplay in order to handle effectively.

Moltres-G is very similar. Can sweep every type very easily. It gets countered by like Tyranitar (?) but not much else, and I'd say for the large majority of viable types it is a huge problem. I'd say the biggest thing that pushes it over the edge is that you can't really play around any set effectively. You don't want to let it set up, especially if you're assuming as a baseline that it's NP + Agility (which is still a fine set), but you don't want to for example hard your Lele into a Fiery Wrath / Hurricane on an expected Plot and take 50 only for Moltres-G to switch out anyway. It's very easy for the Goltres user to force kills / chip without much risk because of its insane bulk and access to Substitute / Taunt to prevent it from being Statused. I think it's pretty restricting in building but moreso in gameplay because of how little you can do to actually stop it + it being on the best type in the game with infinite offensive / defensive support.

Overall all these mons are pretty bad rn, and I think the mono meta would be a lot better without them. By no means are they unbeatable, but they all constrain the meta to a large degree and are generally unhealthy

On the empoleon topic, I feel that people don;t realize how useless it is. Think about it this way. Why would one use it on water? It's simple, one doesn't. Electric and grass aren't thing empoleon can handle well. On steel, what would be empoleon's main purpose? To check fire and ground that can act as like bisharp dissuading defog with defiant. Here is the problem, empoleon is weak to ground, so it's not really a switch. Most fire teams are sun teams, meaning fire pokemon are actually not that weak to empoleon's fire attacks. In addition, it's toooo slow, base 60 is useless outside a scarf set. It can't be defensive because the mons it's supposed to check actually hits it super effectively. Most importantly, it's supposed to be a special attacker(111 > 86) but its ability is defiant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will say, a physical assault vest set sounds pretty cool and would be pretty nice since empoleon's spdef is pretty nice

After the leaks of all the trainers' teams: we confirmed the existence of certain pokemon in BDSP. I'm 99% sure that all pokemon trainers have we be obtainable in game. Here is the second breakdown:

:Ampharos: TOO SLOW
:Banette: garbage
:Breloom: fighting and grass is getting a buff
:Cacturne: garbage
:Delcatty: garbage
:Dewgong: garbage
:Dodrio: fast but I think it's outclassed by staraptor
:Donphan: ground has rapid spin already, so it's kinda bad, good bulk though
:Fearow: bad
:Girafarig: garbage, outclassed entirely by indeedee
:Golem: garbage, use rhyperior
:Granbull: bad
:Grumpig: garbage
:Hariyama: ok I guess, not as bad as so mons but still, apart from hp, the other stats r bad
:Hypno: garbage
:Jumpluff: garbage
:Kecleon: garbage
:Luvdisc: garbage
:Magcargo: garbage
:Mightyena: garbage
:Primeape: garbage
:Probopass: garbage
:Purugly: garbage
:Spinda: garbage
:Stantler: garbage
:Sunflora: garbage
:Swellow: specs boomburst poggers?
:Tropius: bad
:Typhlosion: specs eruption can be used alongside spdef tran so maybe it works(prob not)
:Ursaring: obstagoo but bad

Overall, not much of a find, the only mons that will affect the meta will be :breloom: and maybe :swellow: and :typhlosion: may have a niche.

i am incredibly late bc mwp is about to start soon anyway but i think stuff def needs to be looked at cuz ss rn is down bad even tho it has a lot of potential to become a good tier. ive honestly been having fun building and playing but there are 3 mons in particular that i think should b looked at moving forward, specifically godtres melmetal and kyurem.

im not really sure on what everyone else in the community thinks of these 3 mons bc it seems that everyone agrees that ss is not the best rn but nobody has done anything about it so if u want to clown me go right ahead it boosts my like ratio anyway. this post is definitely on the more controversial side but i implore u all to go play the fucking game before u immediately make ur decision on whether im stupid or not. all ik is there are a few ppl on council(like cemmy/chait god bless u both) who have made posts regarding what seems to be problematic, and honestly im not sure if anything has to be done but i think some change would def make the tier better.

anyway.

:ss/moltres-galar:
im def sure that there are many mixed feelings regarding goltres bc everyone ive talked to either thinks it's perfectly fine or dumb as fuck; personally i think it should get suspected at the very least but it could just be due to the meta not adapting idk. its bulk is incredibly stupid and allows it to pull of numerous breaking sets that are each equally hard to prep for; there's subnp, sub double dance, resttalk, rest taunt, double dance wp, etc. moves like rest or taunt allow u to pummel through most of the balance cores; rest goltres beats poison, taunt beats fat water, double dance beats most offense, and so on. however, im not convinced that this is really a problem, but moreso that no one knows about 90% of its sets and everyone spams the same ass subnpagil/npagilwrathcane so... i promise rest and taunt are real sets, try them out! offensively its hard to check asw; this shit takes like 48 from nidoking and chews non specs lele LOL on fat sets. this is further bolstered by the fact that goltres has extremely good support on both types, flying is broken in general with an excellent defensive backbone, while dark has stuff like screens grimmsnarl that help too. its at the point where ur goltres counter on flying is ur own goltres(xd) or nihilego on psn bc now crobat and skuntank gets their asses kicked in by rest. even types like dark which have moltres counters in theory dont actually have goltres counters bc gtres wins the long game with teammates like sab/mandi or torn/lando. offensive pokemon that threaten it like urshifu or tapu koko are similarly unable to punish it.

:ss/melmetal:
admittedly, im not sure where i stand on this one. im under the impression that its fine for now bc its hard to find a team that would otherwise be good if it didnt get 6-0d by melmetal. theoretically offense just err.. dies to melmetal but most offense teams rn are pretty bad/dont have a problem with it besides dragon, which already has the problem of falling apart to common mons, and dark, which should be fine vs steel anyway. however, its still kind of stupid how melmetal just clicks dib in multiple mus like ground where u have physd gastro, lando t, and chomp but u just get 2hkod/flinched and u end up doing 66 in return with a super effective eq. idk. i think its fine personally but it should def be looked into. i see it moreso that melmetal is just an excellent pokemon against offense and fat while still having some figment of counterplay when it comes to forcing it out. most of the problems that come with melmetal are only bc ur too busy prepping for other, more problematic pokemon, like poison being unable to fit phyd pex if it wants to have an ok rest gtres/kyurem matchup, since dropping gking means you have to run spd pex.

:ss/kyurem:
i think this is another mon where its def unhealthy but ppl dont realize it yet. sub roost is so fucking ridiculous my god. its funny cuz ppl used to run corviknight/spd steela to beat kyurem but that unironically loses bc eventually u run out of press pp/u get frozen/u get crit bc kyurem just sits on the field like a tumor until it gets lucky/stalls ur opps pp out. tho once again prepping for this probably frees up a lot when other mons are deleted; it's wrong to say kyurem has no counterplay whatsoever, like steel having scizor/mel, poison with infiltrator crobat, spd exca on ground. Now none of these are actually good checks, but thankfully mono is blessed with the fact that you can not use kyurem outside of dragon ice. even so, pressure, 130 hp, and good offensive coverage is kinda ridiculous on the same mon. oh yea, it can run other sets too so you could end up going spd crobat on kyurem and get ohkod by specs ice beam, go spd steela on kyu but get dded on rofl, or click urshifu into it but it happens to be scarf/chople.

looking forward to watching ss this mwp

Alright, just a thought but i want to hear other opinions:
The meta shifted alot within this Gen, yet Flying still seems to be one of the strongest types, with strong Pokemon in Offense and Defense. Also the options Flying has on even a single Pokemon can make it near impossible to read the Type as a whole. The point i want to make will mainly hit Flying, so thats why i focused on this type. A very big part of Flying right now is that punishing it seems very difficult, especially given that a few types like Rock that would do well against it usually just have like actually no mons this gen. So what made Flying so difficult to punish to begin with? I would say its a combination of VERY strong Pokemon includig Steela, Lando, Moltres-galar, Zapdos (both forms), Corviknight...list could go on for a few more, but another big deal is that Pokemon like Dragonite, Mantine, defensive zapdos, moltres and Tornadus just run Boots if they are on the team most of the Time. Boots make defoggers very difficult to punish unless with Sub or Double switches that also always come with a risk, while it also makes offensive threats like Moltres and Dragonite, ESPECIALLY DRAGONITE, much more bulky. On the other Hand, boots are used on multiple types to be more effective against Hazzards in a pinch. Instead of outright destroying boots from the Metagame, i thought about a little test on a different ladder or something, where Monotype has the Itemclause. It sounds insane cause Itemclause was always kinda a meme to me, but Boots are just the most no brain Item for flying on everything that doesn't get hit neutral that i would love to see how Flying does in a Meta with Itemclause.

Why i personally am very unsure on it:
Normal loves its defensive core with 2 Eviolite, multiple scarf mons in a Team is for some types very common and Poison just kinda cries about losing multiple Black Sludge options. Ice and Bug also would get massivly hit by this and Bug already doesn't do well at the moment already. Fire also comes to mind with multiple boot users.

I just wanted to get this ball rolling and see what people think, as i said i can see the Pros of it like more diverse Items that can bring creative sets that right now get outclassed or just a more punishable meta game where rocks aren't ignored by the exact mons the rocks should punish, but the downsides are very clear also.

It's not that it's not strong enough. Stealth rock is the strongest move in the game. But with the addition of HDB, SR received one of the hardest indirect nerf in pokemon history.
Exactly. Stealth Rock has been the most centralizing move in the history of competitive battling. Heavy Duty Boots is a direct nerf to all hazards but Stealth Rock especially. Having to dedicate an entire move and turn to get rid of them, almost every team has had to have something to get rid of them.

However, due to HDB, it’s made Flying one the best, if not the best, type in the meta.

roxie

Truly the problem with this meta is that stealth rock isn't strong enough.
I think I agree with this TBH. There are quite a few Pokemon that can run non-SR better than using SR such as Clefable (Calm Mind), Nidoking (Thunderbolt), Seismitoad-Offensive Water (Substitute/Sludge Wave), Tyranitar (Dragon Dance), and just general types like Electric, Flying, Grass, Bug, and Ghost that can naturally run no Stealth Rocks.

With the addition of HDB, I feel like we should build differently: For example, Normal is a type that required Stealth Rocks to make tremendous progress against Flying in past generations (USUM+ORAS). Instead, something like Substitute Porygon2, Obstagoon, or even Choice Specs Porygon-Z (more niche) should be used to force progress. Normal has some good momentum going on for itself like Teleport (Chansey/P2), U-turn (Braviary/Diggersby), and Volt Switch (Heliolisk) to position progress makers.

Last edited:
I want to touch on a topic that has been covered before but expand upon it. Although, melmetal galarian moltres and kyurem are problematic, I don't think they are the only one. I will touch, of course, on said 3.

:Melmetal:: I don't think melmetal is the main problem on steel. The problem is melmetal backing the steel core up. Think about the good steel breakers: nidoking, goltres, kyurem, hydreigon, volcanion, zapdos, glowking, (maybe garchomp with fireblast/flamethrower), cinderace(don't switch, pyro and hjk r 2hko), and GRAVITY Landorus. Melmetal answers all of them decently. Especially if melmetal carries AV or sub. The backbone steel has is already a bit much for the meta and with melmmetal slamming through the few checks, it's legit nutty. However, I don't think suspect is warranted. Let's get to the "core" of the issue.

The one and only Steel Backbone: The steel backbone is infamous for a reason. There is a reason it outshines the ridiculousness that is poison's triple regenerator core. Like I previously mentioned: ALL OF STEEL'S WEAKNESSES ARE COVERED BY AN IMMUNITY.
:Aegislash:: With aegislash allowed, the steel core has obtained the last infinity stone that was missing for so long. Just aegislash itself can shit on types like psychic as well prove to be a huge pain in the ass for types like fighting, ghost, grass, electric, fairy, ice, even rock, ground, and the steel ditto sometimes. With variants like ballon to prevent exca spining, sub to bypass leech seed and burns, even shadow sneak to pick off weakened pokemon, not even to mention the occastional offensive variants like SD, specs, and band. This is already a large list of teams that can't do much with aegislash around. Then we look at the lovely heatran.

:Heatran:: The fact that steel has a chance vs fire is already mind boggling to think about. Considering heatran often has protect, Cinderace has to really be careful when trying kill it with hjk. In fact, the reason I run sub hdb/left victini with scorch sands on psychic(main) is because of heatran. Of course, heatran also completely denies the opportunity for volcarona to break steel, as long as it stays alive, which is especially bad on bug where steel is one of the harder MUs. In fact, bug often rely on araquanid killing tran for volc to sweep. Before you mention buzzwole, I will get to it later. Then, let's talk about grass. Grass has no switch to heatran apart from things that outspeed. Ferro gets shit on, crad gets taunted. The only option is cc/dpunch zarude and HH/superpower rilaboom. Both of which have the same problem as buzzole. This doesn't even take into account that spdef tran with e power can help tremendously with the electric MU, let alone the fact that with magma trapping and taunt it can legit force KO on toxapex, the slowtwins, even galarian slowking if it's running scald instead of eq(running eq is not unreasonable considering how big of an issue tran is) and many more defensive problem that steel sometimes struggles with.

:Ferrothorn:: Although not an immunity and not really part of the steel core, there is a reason water always runs urshifu/keldeo as well as cc barras in conjunction with specs kingdra. Ferro's weaknesses are weaknesses in the truest form of the word. Fire moves and fighting moves(as well as predicting whether it's spdef or def) are its only true weakness. The only other way to dance around is with substitute. Although taunt blocks leech, ferro can always hit you with a knock off and just leave. Speaking of leech seed, that's something fero spams a lot. It provides a reliable form of recovery as well as chip damage. In addition, ferro is amazing at setting up spikes and SR which can prove fatal to types like normal and ghost which have lacking hazard removal. Then of course, there is the problem of being similar to aegis where fero just sits there and walls like half of the meta. Grass can't do shit without sun or their own fero. If fero is spdef, the only way for electric to kill it is CC zera and heat wave zapdos.

:Skarmory::Celesteela::Corviknight:: This is, in my humblest of opinion, the biggest problem with steel in general. People accuse pokemon like tran and aegis because of the enormous feats they can do. What people fail to acknowledge is that the steel flyers are the biggest problem. Remember I talked about buzzwole, zarude, and rilaboom. Well, all 3 get completely shat on by these 3, especially if celesteela is defensive(spdef is for flying). We are all aware of how celesteela and corviknight by themselves turns the flying vs rock into a MU in flying's favor. Now lets talk about how much of a problem these three are for when played on steel. Skarmory, like ferrothorn, famously stacks stealth rock and many layers of spikes, can roost for recovery, whirlwind to prevent setup, and is a massive defensive wall that wall the mighty terrakion, famous for being very difficult to for steel to answer. Then we have corviknight. Although it's the least used, I've come to appreciate what it can do. It sets up very often, can't be countered by intimidate because of mirror armor, and even sometimes taunt walls that r trying to recover. In terms of defensive sets, corviknight reliably pressure stalls pokemon, has roost to stay healthy, defog to clear hazards and screens, and even U-turn to give momentum. And now we have the lovely celesteela. This shit spams leech seed for days, has a 120 base power, 16 pp, 100% stab move, flamethrower for resist, grass coverage it it feels like it, earthquake to surprise heatran, tremendous bulk, even stat spread that makes spdef and def sets both viable, can run offensive autotomize with power herb meteor beam, can run flame charge physically offensive sets. God I can go on and on. If you look at the good steel breakers, the first you notice is that they destroy these birds(celesteela is a rocket ship but whatever). Any pokemon that can break through these birds immediately is not treated as steel breaker. Think of pokemon that normally would be great vs steel like excadrill, buzzwole, zarude, rilaboom, terrakion, dragapult(if you run specs, it's a good steel breaker, the birbs wall phyiscal ddance sets), garchomp(unless you run flamethrower/fireblast), dragonite(unless you run fire punch which most dragonites don't), landorus-T(rise of gravity is caused by these birds), kommo-o, gyarados, mamoswine, etc. Then look at the MU with the birds. Most are either checked or flat out countered by them(some of them may actually counter the birds, I didn't do much calcs, please tell me). IMO, none of the 3 are individually broken, it's more that they suffocate tons of good strategies vs steel(especially evading eq) as well as people not knowing which of the 3 the steel player is going to use. Only pokemon that can break through all 3 regardless of most sets are classified as steel breakers: nidoking is a fine example. This is why I think we should suspect these 3. We don't need to ban all of them, we just need to ban 1 or 2 so that people go into ladder knowing what steel bird to fully prep for.

Away from steel core:
:moltres-galar:: Yes this is a steel breaker but guess what, it's also an everything breaker. Apart from Ttar and koko, not many pokemon can actually deal with this. Most people run double dance with Fiery Wrath and Air Slash/hurricane, that set by itself is more than enough for more of the meta. Its bulk however is what pushes it over the edge for me. 90/90/125 is pretty insane considering most of the types it's weak to are mostly special attacks with rock being an exception. This coupled with base 90 speed is pretty busted. In addition, moltres doesn't have to limit itself of the 2 attack double dance set, it can run taunt or substitute to completely screw over people trying to counter it with status. Behind a sub, the only moves that can truly prevent goltres from free set up are triple axel, melmetal double iron bash, and cloyster skill link. In Murderous Mantyke's own words:
Screenshot from 2022-01-02 15-51-04.png

Think of specs lele comming on agility or spdef tran on NP. You would think that moltres needs to switch but with a bit of luck, even these 2 could be bypassed. In terms of suspect test, I think it's worth a try.

:Kyurem:: Oh boy. Now that I think about it, this looks like a case of broken check broken. You need broken mons like this one to check the broken steel core. Anyways, jokes aside, kyurem is a problem. There are 2 sets: specs and sub roost. I would argue that the latter is a lot more viable that the former but both work. The problem doesn't lie within the set but within kyurem's abillity. As much as sub roost looks to be offensive, it's the ability to pp stall many pokemon that make it problematic. First, flying players know all to well how difficult it is to deal with kyurem. It pp stalls celesteela's Heavy Slam's and just sits behind a sub and freeze dries flying's entire team. Same for corviknight's body presses. In fact, I run both corviknight and celesteela on flying because as much as I hate to admit it, it seems like the only option. This is a not just a problem for flying but also for types like water if behind sub, electric, grass, poison, even being a huge threat for teams that should do well vs it like rock, dragon, fire, and even steel. It often just sits there behind a sub, roosting off the damage. There is a reason melmetal(steel) and cloyster(water) and rising in usage. DIB and rock blast are the only moves that allows a pokemon to break the sub and hit kyurem. If not, the only way to kill it is to outspeed and break the sub. However, with kyurem's amazing special attack, you would usually have to sack a pokemon. The problem is that the kyurem user can just switch and bring it in on a pokemon it forces out and sub to force another KO. In addition, like Mantyke says, freeze makes everything a lot worse. I think we definately should suspect this one.

:Barraskewda: :Kingdra: : These two are together because I believe they fit into a core. Although not as problematic as one would think, I believe these to be broken. First they shared exactly 1 weakness: rain. These two are uncounterable in rain and for many teams, the only reliable way to defeat them is by stalling the rain out. As a psychic player, I do not have access to a lot of bulky mons with latias and mew being my best answers for these 2. Both are impossible to outspeed under rain and many types like fire, rock, and ground simply crumble under the pressure of these two. I believe they are the cause of these three types' limited usage. Although one can argue that fire has volcanion, rock has cradilly, and ground has gastrodon/seismetoad, none of those actually check this core. Volcanion need AV and lacks recovery, cradily crumbles to specs hurricane and band close combat, and both water grounds can get easily overwhelmed. Of course, those are types that are naturally weak to water, but other types don't fair better. In you look a mono water's usage, you will see that for all sections of ladder, it's the most used type, hovering at around 12 % for low ladder and up to 16 to 17% at high ladder. People complain about steel but when you look at ladder, steel usage is often very lack luster. For those arguing that rainless exist, I understand. However, rain is around 8 to 9% usage on ladder. This means more than 50% of any water teams you face is a rain team. As for suspect, neither realistically deserves it but similar to the steel core, we should suspect one of them. NOT because individually, they are broken but because together they are very difficult to deal with(made worse by peliper having roost).

:Toxapex::Slowking-galar::Amoonguss:: This is the only core whose "infamousness" can compete with steel's. Although poison is not used as much as steel, it's still very frustrating to face. The core is about as sus as the mushroom pokemon itself. The difference between this core(which is arguably stronger than steel's) is that all 3 have regenerator, hence why we call it poison's trip regen core. With regenerator, all 3 have an incredible amount of healing. Lack of healing is one of the biggest reason's the steel core breaks down a lot easier than this one and is also why the steel birds are such a problem: they have healing(skarmory/corviknight roost, celesteela leech seeds). In addition, assuming glowking is AV and amoonguss is physically defensive, this core can pretty much cover all of poison's weaknesses. Here, we see that many of steel breakers that work for steel don't work for poison. For ex, glowking walls volcanion unless specs, which can be easily played around because glowking can simply switch to a pokemon like crobat or g-weezing whilst healing itself(if volcanion is AV, it gets worn down while glowing lives with regenerator). Amoonguss often takes eq really well, has foul play to damage the eq users, spore to shut down a pokemon, and of course, synthesis. Toxapex is also a nightmare for many teams because its bulk is beyond absurd and is also why many barraskewdas actually run psychic fangs(solely for toxapex). Together, they cover each other's weaknesses beautifully and with constant switch, they remain at high health. Should we suspect one of them? As far as my opinion, I don't think so. Even though the core is very broken, it has a universal weakness: psyshock. However, Drapion, even though it does not have regenerator, can switch into psyshock. Making it technically part of this core. On the other hand, certain mons that steel doesn't lose to(minus gravity landorus) like bulk up landorus(with gravity or not) as well as band excadrill, or even the lati twins all break poison really well. Therefore, this is a similar issue to that of melmetal. Let's take care of the steel birds, kyurem, and galarian moltres, then we look at melmetal and the poison core.

For data of usage stats: Here it is. This is for december 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VKzErmx1QkHFYWIl87MNcBMdctVmIL0DnmBnB7_1feM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Im happy people start more discussion on problematic pokemons, posting my opinions too:

About the steel core, I agree Melmetal is not the big problem anymore. Sure, it can cheese certain matchups, but it dont does great again the high ranked types (flying/water) and the steel breaker meta in the last months didnt treat him kindly. Nor are Aegislash, Heatran or Skarmory problematic in the current meta.
In the other hand Celesteela have always been a hot topic (i dont remember anymore the number of times i saw people asking him banned) and this gen Corviknight was introduced and quickly have become a force to be reckoned with. If the past gen people could ask me if Celesteela was broken or not, I could say yes (between Metronome set/ autotomize+Z move set/ Classic leech seed set it was too unpredictable and meta warping for my tastes); but if this gen someone ask me the same question, I could answer not (Celesteela continue to be annoying but this gen it mostly have just 1 set so you know what it will be doing). Corviknight in the other hand is gaining again more usage and with good reason, if your team is weakened enough there is a strong chance Corviknight can solo win after a few Bulk Ups. Between Roost, Taunt, Agility, Power Trip at its disposal, it can do a comeback at any time of the game. It dont help it have Pressure ability so it just laugh at your attempts to flamethrower it. For now I dont have a final opinion on Corviknight, I will see how metagame develops first.

People posting that Kyurem is a problem, but I dont see how. Sure its bulky, have good firepower behind it and can predict switches with substitute, but in the other hand you can use it only on monoice (!) and monodragon, types that dont have a strong defensive core. Plus I wholeheartedly welcome any mon that can threaten water/flying cores (like comon... both are the most versatile types in the meta and people still complains because big bad dragon freeze dry you, then what could say for example monofighting of Tapu Lele lmao). So yeah, a nope for me.

Ok finally, here we have the big guy. Why we dont have a suspect on it already is beyond me... Anyways let see what Galar Moltres have: 90/90/125 defenses, Nasty Plot, Taunt, Substitute, Agility, Berserk ability (so if you bring him below 50% HP you actually make him a favor) and Fiery Wrath with its 20% flinch chance. I dont think people fully realize how game changing can Fiery Wrath be in an offensive mon like Galar Moltres, its the main reason mono attacker sets are the prefered sets lately (some monodarks prob still uses the flying STAB though). I could talk on how it have excelent team support but im just gonna quote Hyperspace12:
This is further bolstered by the fact that goltres has extremely good support on both types, flying is broken in general with an excellent defensive backbone, while dark has stuff like screens grimmsnarl that help too.
With all of this, if it was not clear enough I think Galar Moltres truly deserves a suspect discussion.

Last edited:
I wanted to post my thoughts on a mon that's been talked about already: G-Moltres.

moltres-galar.gif

G-Moltres (or Goltres which I will be calling it for the remainder of my post) is a threat both on Dark and Flying teams. Its own natural bulk alone (90/90/125), its ability Berserk, along with the capability of running sets such as Double Dance (NP + Agility), Sub Nasty, and NP + Taunt makes it a fearsome presence for any team to face. On Dark, team support allows it to set up and sweep with ease. On Flying, Goltres has other team members it can rely on to get past its weakness.

Reasoning for a Suspect Discussion/Test for Goltres:

Gen 8's Dex cut is already restrictive with the number of options types have, and I think it's also important to point out that Goltres got banned from National Dex Monotype where there were more options to choose from. Without having to get creative about checking Goltres, defensive checks for it for some types are few and far between for a majority. Certain sets such as the Double Dance set can overwhelm teams, and a majority of types are ill-equipped to deal with it especially in this gen.

Closing Thoughts:

I don't have a lot to say here that has not already been said. Goltres is proving to be too strong as it can overwhelm teams and even entire types. There is no easy way to keep it at bay without resorting to using creative sets or using a certain team archetype. Goltres needs to be suspected and/or discussed more at length as it has become one of the more problematic mons in the tier.

I wanted to post my thoughts on a mon that's been talked about already: G-Moltres.

View attachment 398803
G-Moltres (or Goltres which I will be calling it for the remainder of my post) is a threat both on Dark and Flying teams. Its own natural bulk alone (90/90/125), its ability Berserk, along with the capability of running sets such as Double Dance (NP + Agility), Sub Nasty, and NP + Taunt makes it a fearsome presence for any team to face. On Dark, team support allows it to set up and sweep with ease. On Flying, Goltres has other team members it can rely on to get past its weakness.

Reasoning for a Suspect Discussion/Test for Goltres:

Gen 8's Dex cut is already restrictive with the number of options types have, and I think it's also important to point out that Goltres got banned from National Dex Monotype where there were more options to choose from. Without having to get creative about checking Goltres, defensive checks for it for some types are few and far between for a majority. Certain sets such as the Double Dance set can overwhelm teams, and a majority of types are ill-equipped to deal with it especially in this gen.

Closing Thoughts:

I don't have a lot to say here that has not already been said. Goltres is proving to be too strong as it can overwhelm teams and even entire types. There is no easy way to keep it at bay without resorting to using creative sets or using a certain team archetype. Goltres needs to be suspected and/or discussed more at length as it has become one of the more problematic mons in the tier.
OK I'm gonna give the hot take of the century and I'm somewhat new to monotype so take this with a grain of salt, BUT, I do not think the issue is goltres. I think the issue is goltres+screens. Every goltres sweep I have pulled off so far is due to berserk plays behind screens and every time it was shut down by an offensive mon was via a crit or parahax. I think the issue is inherent to monodark though, since from what I can see a LOT of mono dark teams run screens. I don't really think screens should be suspected as, yeah goltres is the issue. While I am personally against a goltres band I just wanna put this out for anyone who is good enough to vote to take into consideration, being the screens+gotlres combo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)