Resource SS CAP Viability Rankings

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
might as well too

:ferrothorn: A -> A+
easily up there with heatran for best two bulky steels atm - ferro bulky offense builds have made their mark in playtest/CL, and it's clear how damn good this mon is as stopgap to a lot of insane offensive powerhouses and at providing utility you can't get anywhere else between knock/leech/spikes/SR, its defensive resists, and barbs chip

:slowking-galar: A -> A-
i agree with dex that this should drop, but B+ is a little drastic imo; i quite like psychic variants of this mon as an okay check to base venomicon, and nothing has changed for it as a way to take advantage of a lot of the tier's best special attackers and pivots. it's weirder to slot on builds nowadays ime with changing competition / team structures, but it's still largely effective in what it does

:zapdos: -> A
big agree with dex. i don't think this should be ranked any lower than the other two electrics in zap / zera. however, i do just want to comment on something that dex mentioned, being the claim that zap can switch into venomicon-e. while zap's a great check to base book, it really can't switch into venom-e at all bc even with max defense - and no zapdos should be running 252+ def right now - there's a non-negligible roll for you to be OHKO'd by +2 BB

:astrolotl: -> A+
astro's straight ridiculous right now, does the same shit it's always done but even better somehow. impossible to punish and always makes progress. checks base venomicon somehow with encore. effective at both setting and removing hazards, with scarf sets still doing fine as well. balloon tran's uptick hurts but other than that... hard to go wrong with this pick

venomicon-e -> A+
im not explaining this one lol

:equilibra: -> B+
i think this mon's success in playtest really shows how much of a value pick it can be. despite forcing some awkward (or at least repetitive) structures at times and suffering kinda badly from 4mss, libra is a hugely versatile mon with a very high ceiling on how much it can accomplish in-game and B doesn't reflect that atm

:slowbro: -> A
:arghonaut: -> A-
outlined these in my last post but i still stand by em

e: just realized this is my 500th post. raise slowbro
:boatogostandode:

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Time to make not just one, but two noms I never thought I would make.

:Regieleki: UR --> C

This mon saw a decent amount of success in the playtest, and I think now is a better time than ever to rank it. Don't get me wrong, this mon still faces heavy competition from the other Electric-Types in the tier and is still the biggest Ground-Type magnet on the planet, but I think it still has a decent number of things going for it. Just like in OU, Regieleki forms a nice offensive core with Gapdos thanks to its ability to lure Lando-T in so easily, while also taking on some of the mons that answer Gapdos. I've also found it to work decently well with the books for similar reasons (On top of also offering a form of hazard removal, which is really nice for ebook but base appreciates it as well). Its also suprising powerful, and once you deal with your opponent's Electric Immunitie(s) it does a pretty good job at getting through a lot of bulky mons and cleaning up. It requires some pretty heavy support and basically mandates to be used alongside something that can take advantage of Grounds, so I can't really see it being any higher than C, but it has enough positives that I think it should be ranked.

:Tomohawk: B- --> C

Remember how this was the 2nd/3rd best mon in the tier two generations ago? Oh how the mighty have fallen. Between Zapdos' resurgence of popularity, Tapu Lele's smaller but still notable rise in usage, and the introduction of the books, somehow things have just managed to get worse for Tomohawk. I legitimately haven't seen this mon in a serious capacity in a very long time, and everytime I think that it might be a good idea to put it on my team, I always manage to talk myself into something else pretty fast (Which says a lot since I take an eternity to build teams). It just doesn't offer a whole lot that plenty of other mons in the tier don't do better on top of the metagme being extremely hostile to it, and its really only like a couple of things (Roost+Intimidate is nice, also HazeHawk can be annoying for HO at times) that are preventing me from wanting it to be unranked entirely.

Don't have much else too add other than I agree with most of spoo' s and dex's nominations.

Last edited:

D2TheW

Amadán
Some stuff because I have a free hour after my prof cancelled a lecture last minute cos he chopped the top of his finger off making breakfast.

:ss/Ninetales-Alola:
Ninetales B+ -> A-
Tales and Zolt have been ranked together pretty much always, on account of their reliance on each other and almost always being paired up. However, rn I think Alolatales has enough of a role outside of hail to deserve a slight rise. Screens HO is pretty damn good rn (in no small part due to ebook) and Alolatales is a fantastic screen setter. Veil let's it get both screens up in one slot and one turn, leaving it free to be a great disruptive force with encore and hypnosis (if you're lucky). The ease at which Alolatales can give it's hard hitters free turns makes them infinitely scarier. Cawm in particular loves hail chipping down pult and the likes. Here's a replay from ghosting tour where Ninetales is just an absolute prick to the opposing team, eventually giving cawm the sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1496549080
TL:DR Ho is really good and Alolatales is a big part of it, rank my boy higher.

I agree with most of spoos noms too, with the exception of libra. Libra has the same problems it's had for a while, it gets knocked at every corner and has to compete with God lando on every team. Book's addition to the meta gave it something solid it can answer but it also caused a big uptake in Zapdos usage which absolutely shits on Libra. Ferro and Tran are a pain in the ass as well, both as steels that compete with it and hazard setters that it can't come in and beat reliably. Honestly, as a spinner it's pretty sub par, which has led some people to use spinless libra. This alleviates its 4mss a bit, but shunts hazard control duties on to something else and means all your libra is for is it's ok defensive utility and doom desire. That's not bad necessarily, but it's not great either. It can be very good in certain mus, like vs kokovile teams but it's Landos meta and Libra is just living in it, so I think B is fine.

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The purveyor of wack noms is back

:Dragapult:: S -> A+

Dragapult is obviously a menace and a half as a wallbreaker; however, I think the metagame has adequately adjusted to it. It is generally difficult to switch Dragapult in where it actually collects a kill; furthermore, it has become easier to fit offensive counterplay onto teams. Assault Vest Tornadus, Scarf Tapu Fini, and Melmetal are all rising in popularity as balance and offense staples, decreasing the number of mons Dragapult can comfortably come in on. It is obviously still an amazing mon that offers so much offensive potential; however, I think it is safe to say that Dragapult is no longer the tier-defining monster it once was.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Update time! Important to note is that the newly buffed Pyroak and its effect on the tier were not considered this slate. Voting began before Pyroak was released, and due to factors such as not appearing in CAPCL and its final state being subject to change, it did not make a lot of sense to include it at this point.

Newly Ranked:
  • :Celesteela: Celesteela → C
  • :Fidgit: Fidgit → C
  • :Reuniclus: Reuniclus → C
  • :Stratagem: Stratagem → C

Rises:
  • :weavile: Weavile A+ → S-
  • :Astrolotl: Astrolotl A → A+
  • :Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn A → A+
  • :Melmetal: Melmetal A → A+
  • :Toxapex: Toxapex A → A+
  • Venomicon-E A → A+
  • :Kartana: Kartana A- → A
  • :Slowbro: Slowbro A- → A
  • :Zapdos: Zapdos A- → A
  • :Ninetales-Alola: Ninetales-A B+ → A-
  • :Dragonite: Dragonite B → B+
  • :Moltres-Galar: Moltres-G B- → B+
  • :Rotom-Wash: Rotom-W B- → B+
  • :Barraskewda: Barraskewda C → B-
  • :Crucibelle: Crucibelle C → B-
  • :Naviathan: Naviathan C → B-
  • :Necrozma: Necrozma C → B-
  • :Nidoking: Nidoking C → B-
  • :Nihilego: Nihilego C → B

Drops:
  • :Dragapult: Dragapult S → S-
  • :Arghonaut: Arghonaut A → B+
  • :Corviknight: Corviknight A → A-
  • :Slowking-Galar: Slowking-G A → A-
  • :Revenankh: Revenankh A- → B+
  • :Buzzwole: Buzzwole B+ → B
  • :Jumbao: Jumbao B+ → B
  • :Scizor: Scizor B+ → B
  • :Hippowdon: Hippowdon B → C
  • :Kommo-o: Kommo-o B → B-
  • :Tapu Bulu: Tapu Bulu B → B-
  • :Hydreigon: Hydreigon B- → C
  • :tomohawk: Tomohawk B- → C
  • :Torkoal: Torkoal B- → C
  • :Venusaur: Venusaur B- → C
  • Chromera C → UR
  • :Jirachi: Jirachi C → UR
  • :Volkraken: Volkraken C → UR

Last edited:

dex

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
:dragonite: B+ -> A: Dragonite at B+ is a crime. It offers a metric ton of defensive utility alongside its sweeping potential. Quake + Ice Punch coverage is incredibly dumb, especially when used on BO teams that can break for it. It can effectively switch into Heatran, Landorus-T can't Toxic it due to Ice Punch, it can set up in the face of ferro, and Multiscale and boots make it very hard to punish.

:toxapex: A+ -> S: I believe Toxapex to be the premier defensive presence in the current metagame. In a tier currently defined by its number of dangerous offensive threats, it is one of the best options in fending off these threats for balance teams thanks to its ability to remain healthy throughout a game and its sheer bulk, which is something other bulky waters lack.

dex

This is the nom we all need right now...

:Stratagem: C -> B
Let me tell you a bit about this rock. Sometime during CAPCL, spoo passed The Strap a Stratagem team that simply dominated in tests. Adem and I started building with the mon, and I have come to realize that Stratagem is not just viable, it is straight up good. The extra Speed it has over Nihilego is incredibly valuable into the face of Weavile and Tornadus-T, its access to Levitate means that SpD Landorus-T cannot revenge kill it, and its important access to Fire Blast makes Melmetal a shaky check, if it even checks it at all. While Nihilego offers some excellent traits of its own and is definitely the more consistent of the two beamers, Stratagem is genuinely good, especially with every team relying so heavily on Landorus-T and Tornadus-T. While Stratagem is absolutely easy to revenge kill compared to Nihilego, and it can't Speed boost past Dragapult and Zeraora, its initial Speed and dummy good coverage is more than enough to make the rock at least B. The mon simply collects at least one kill most of the time when it comes out, and sometimes it just outright sweeps.

Last edited:

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Agree with the above... but wait, there's more!

:nihilego: B -> B+
:celesteela: C -> B-

Meteor Beam offense is an insanely strong team composition right now. We saw it take off in OU during SPL and it's just as effective in CAP, if not moreso due to Stratagem being a great new option.

:stratagem:
Speaking a bit on Stratagem, there are a few things that make it really strong - honestly the combination of STAB Meteor Beam + Rock/Fire/Ground coverage is just so absurd. There's almost nothing that can switch into its Meteor Beam and force it out the next turn; virtually everything will fold to +1 Meteor Beam into +1 EP/Paleo/FBlast, and the things that can take it (eg Glowking can live Meteor Beam -> EP) won't be able to reliably force Strata out. What this ultimately means is that Stratagem should net at least one kill every game unless you've misplayed. It can be easily revenge killed by Zera, Pult, and scarfers, but you won't always need to let Stratagem die; Strata can simply switch out into teammates like Weav/Fini/Lando and be preserved. Opposing teams that don't have one of these options and instead rely on weak speed control like Weavile + EBook/Torn-T are hilariously susceptible to late-game Stratagem as well. Finally, Strata actually offers a surprising amount of defensive utility to offense - being a Flying resist and Ground immunity is always solid and gives you the option to make aggressive high-value switches with it on mons like Zapdos/Torn/Lando.

:nihilego:
Britney is in a similar boat, but I'd argue is one subrank better because it's generally harder to deal with via offensive counterplay despite offering less immediacy than Stratagem. Dragapult and Scarf Fini are doing 73/71% respectively with Hydro Pump (lol) and stuff like Zera/Scarf Lele can't revenge kill reliably due to the Speed boost. The tradeoff is that it does much worse into steels like Ferrothorn, but this isn't a death sentence for its viability - getting very respectable chip damage on Ferro/Melm will often pave the way for a teammate to win, and it doesn't take much for a partner to overwhelm Nihil's checks either. Nihil is also more flexible teamwise imo - while it's hard (not impossible) to justify Strata outside of offense, Nihil's bulk, defensive typing, and access to Pain Split/SR can make it a cool pick on some BO builds.

:celesteela:
Steela is also worthy of a small rise, though it's not near as good as the other two mons. A bulky Steel/Flying with strong coverage that cleans late-game is a super value pick for many offense teams, giving counterplay against Lele, Cawm, somewhat Kart, and other mons that the playstyle typically struggles with. Sadly you have a lot less immediate power than competing options because of a weaker Meteor Beam and your best STAB being Air Slash, but it's genuinely a very nice cleaner and slots pretty easily on a good deal of structures.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Mini update for the ladder tour! We didn't vote on a full slate this time, just some placings that stood out to us as especially wrong. Not that many rankings changed so I thought I'd do writeups explaining them.

:pyroak: Pyroak UR → A-
Even after losing 20 SpA and Slack Off, our newly buffed Pyroak is still going strong. Its impressive bulk, deep movepool, spread flexibility, and ability to power through seemingly any wall it wants have landed it firmly top-tier. While its odd defensive typing can sometimes be awkward to accommodate for in the teambuilder, it nonetheless pairs effortlessly with a range of offensive options like Weavile, Tapu Koko, and Garchomp, and almost always trades or goes positive in-game because of its aforementioned qualities. Current meta trends like Meteor Beam spam can make it hard for Pyroak to keep up, but don't be fooled –– it's still a hard Pokemon to go wrong with.

:stratagem: Stratagem C → B+
:nihilego: Nihilego B- → B
Speaking of Meteor Beam spam, we've got our two main culprits right here. It's pretty hard to overstate the value these mons can add to certain offense and BO structures, especially into prevalent meta trends like Flying spam and Pyroak builds –– Stratagem offers a metric ton of immediate breaking power and sweep potential, only really being limited by faster revenge killers and just a handful of defensive picks, while Nihilego is a terrifying late-game cleaner once Steels have been weakened and offers quite a bit of utility itself by virtue of its bulk and defensive typing. Nihiliego's rise was somewhat contentious as well, split evenly between B and B+, so the ranks of these mons are still very much in flux.

Edit: I'm a dumbass and forgot Nihilego was already in B but it stays :blobthumbsup:

:dragonite: Dragonite B+ → A-
We've got another mon here that benefits from the rise of Pyroak and Flying-type spam, directly contributing to the latter phenomenon. While no single Dragonite set can "do it all" in the way you might want, its defensive attributes and wealth of coverage can still deny a lot of normal counterplay such as Ferrothorn or Toxic Landorus-T from being effective, and as such is one of the most potent and trendy late-game setup cleaners right now. Even beyond standard DD, Dragonite's utility sets also have quite a bit of unexplored merit as one of the few options that can deal with both Heatran and Kartana long-term.

:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn A+ → S-
Following suit with OU, Ferrothorn makes its rise up to the big leagues. It's by far the easiest defensive Steel-type to slot on a number of archetypes and offers truly unparalleled utility in-game and in the teambuilder. There are few options like Ferrothorn that can completely dictate the pace and progress of games, and it shows –– the mon is likely second only to Landorus-T as the most important or common threat that teams will strategize to systematically pressure and overload as part of their game plan.

:Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus-T S- → A+
Utility Defog sets struggle to justify themselves as much with waning defensive use compared to other options like Astrolotl, while Tornadus's once-dominant Assault Vest set is trending downwards as teams are finding better ways to build against it or overload it in-game. Ultimately, while Tornadus-T is still a top-tier pick, the value it brings to most teams just can't compete with what's occupying the S- rank anymore.

Venomicon A+ → A
Maybe this drop is confusing considering Venomicon wasn't nerfed at all in the Post Play Lookback, but the mon has been losing steam in the metagame for a while now. Venomicon itself hasn't worsened that much and can still completely suffocate unprepared teams, but the balance structures it once slotted comfortably on are getting a bit worse as the metagame takes a more offensive turn; as a result, we're seeing less of it as time goes on, despite it remaining a deadly win-condition given the proper team support.

Last edited:

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Another update wooooooo

Also I forgot to mention this when it happened, but The Number Man joined VR council a few slates ago! Snake_rattler, Steam Buns, and TNM abstained from voting this round. Fewer rankings changed this time compared to most slates, which is hopefully the sign of a stable metagame before CAP 31's drop in ~2 months.

edit: Last thing, Voltage stepped down this slate and is no longer participating on the team. Thanks for your time this generation :-)

Newly Ranked:
  • :thundurus-therian: Thundurus-T → B-
  • :seismitoad: Seismitoad → C

Rises:
  • :Rotom-Wash: Rotom-W B+ → A-
  • :volcanion: Volcanion B+ → A-
  • :Nihilego: Nihilego B → B+
  • :Nidoking: Nidoking B- → B
  • :tyranitar: Tyranitar B- → B
  • :celesteela: Celesteela C → B-

Drops:
  • :Melmetal: Melmetal A+ → A
  • :urshifu-rapid-strike: Urshifu-R A → A-
  • :pyroak: Pyroak A- → B+
  • :Arghonaut: Arghonaut B+ → B
  • :krilowatt: Krilowatt B+ → B
  • :aegislash: Aegislash B → B-
  • :blissey: Blissey B → B-
  • :Jumbao: Jumbao B → B-
  • :Scizor: Scizor B → C
  • :skarmory: Skarmory B → B-
  • :naviathan: Naviathan: B- → C
  • :hippowdon: Hippowdon: C → UR
  • :tomohawk: Tomohawk C → UR

Last edited:

dex

nom time bby

Rises:

:tapu fini: A+ -> S-: Tapu Fini has become CAP's teambuilding crutch, and for good reason. All three of trapping, cm, and scarf are incredible in the current metagame. Its status as a soft check to half the offensive threats in the tier cannot be understated. Scarf, in particular, is incredible right now as a means of offensive role compression. Fini meshes so well with so many teams that I think it deserves the rise.

1653111716097.png
A -> A+: Venomicon may very well be the tier's defining win condition. Its ability to not only be a threatening sweeper but check the omnipresent Landorus-T alongside a host of fairies makes it incredibly threatening in and out of the builder. It demands such respect that it should see a bump.

:Pyroak: B+ -> A-: Pyroak has more than outdone its intended level after the buff. It is incredibly difficult to effectively check, with teams often relying on wasting Overheat PP to deal with it. Add on the fact that it has tech options around some of its checks (namely Giga Drain to get around Balloon Tran and Arghonaut), and Pyroak has become a threat worth considering more.

:Nidoking: B -> B+: Sometimes, Nidoking is just dumb. It can be a little fishy, but its offensive potential and ability to compromise common defensive cores like Landorus-T + Ferrothorn make it more of a menace than its rank indicates.

Drops

:Dragapult: S- -> A+: Pult does pult things. It is still a dumby strong wallbreaker, but I do feel like it is seeing fewer and fewer chances to get onto the field with the way the metagame is shaping up. It hurts that Venomicon is able to stomach its Shadow Ball consistently, making that one more setup sweeper that Dragapult cannot revenge kill.

1653111723990.png
A+ -> A: Venomicon-E is still a strong wallbreaker in all regards; however, it definitely has lost some of its oomph with the nerf. More often than not, it usually results in heavily chipping a foe rather than trading, which can be a big difference at times.

:Revenankh: B+ -> B: As much as I love Rev, the books and the overall faster pace of the metagame has really done it in. It's more matchup fishy now than it ever was before, and while it can still work wonders when it hits that right matchup, the chances it gets to do so have been greatly lessened.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Sup guys

Rises:

• :clefable: Clefable A- → A
  • :pyroak: Pyroak B+ → A-
  • :stratagem: Stratagem B+ → A-
  • :buzzwole: Buzzwole B → B+
  • :Nidoking: Nidoking B → B+
  • :barraskewda: Barraskewda B- → B+
  • :pelipper: Pelipper B- → B+
  • :fidgit: Fidgit C → B-
  • :syclant: Syclant C → B-

Drops:

• :dragapult: Dragapult S- → A+
  • 1655010755526.png
    Venomicon-E A+ → A
  • :colossoil: Colossoil B+ → B
  • :revenankh: Revenankh B+ → B
  • :bisharp: Bisharp: B- → C
  • :crucibelle: Crucibelle B- → C
  • :jumbao: Jumbao B- → C
  • :kommo-o: Kommo-o B- → C
  • :tapu-bulu: Tapu Bulu B- → C
  • :necturna: Necturna C → UR
Smaller-ish update this time, the meta feels like it's getting more stable as we progress towards the inevitable shakeup that CAPPL + CAP31's release will bring upon us. Feel free to ask about any of these changes and I'll explain them to the best of my ability.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Until I figure out which dimension the spider in the bathroom fucked off to I will make a couple noms.

:ferrothorn: S- → S
A bit bold to immediately make a nom to S-rank but if anything deserves it right now, it'd be Ferrothorn. There's little else in the metagame which brings such inherent value to a team like this mon, Grass/Steel has so many good defensive match-ups and Iron Barbs has so many applications during play from punishing U-Turns, to trading with Knock Off, or even as a late-game sack to put an offensive threat into range. Leech Seed is amazing at letting it continue wearing down the opponent while also keeping it healthy, as Ferro's HP is such a valuable asset each game. Spikes are always good and extra options in Knock Off, Thunder Wave, Toxic, or Stealth Rock let it be pretty customizable in terms of team support. Also, having access to Gyro Ball and Power Whip as unnecessarily strong STAB moves or Body Press to punish other Steels wanting to come in means you need to do a fair bit of guesswork or scouting to get the read on what Ferrothorn is up to. If you wanted to get even crazier, Iron Head lets you ensure a positive matchup versus non-Flamethrower Clefable when you otherwise might get stalled out of Gyros. I don't mean to incite usage stats as indication of how good something is, but Ferro having double that of the third most used Pokemon in CAP Majors' Pool Phase speaks volumes. People are relying on this mon a ton right now and not accounting for its shenanigans in the builder is a grave mistake.

:cyclohm: UR → B
I genuinely did not know this was unranked, and it really, seriously should not be. The amount of BS Clohm can get away with is frankly ridiculous, Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Volt Switch is difficult to play around if you let it in safely, and for some reason this mon can just live an unboosted Triple Axel with only HP investment. Increased usage of Rocky Helmet is especially annoying for that above reason, and also just helps in general given that Clohm will likely be tasked to come in on various physical attackers. Static + Helmet Chip on a mon with Slack Off and plenty of Pokemon to prey on with its strong special coverage is just really nasty at the moment. I do think building with Cyclohm can be a bit abstract but I'm also a demented builder in the first place, so take that with a grain of salt. Between somehow going undefeated in all 8 of its appearances within Pools and still showing good results so far in the next round plus a couple games in room tours, I don't see how this can go unranked while stuff in active retirement like Rillaboom manage to stick around in B-.

Also because I referenced this a good bit and have it on paste here's Pools Stats, might add the rest of the tournament later when its done
Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   |   59 |  44.03% |  55.93% |
| 2    | Ferrothorn         |   52 |  38.81% |  46.15% |
| 3    | Astrolotl          |   26 |  19.40% |  42.31% |
| 3    | Zapdos             |   26 |  19.40% |  26.92% |
| 5    | Dragapult          |   23 |  17.16% |  47.83% |
| 6    | Colossoil          |   22 |  16.42% |  54.55% |
| 6    | Tapu Fini          |   22 |  16.42% |  45.45% |
| 8    | Tapu Lele          |   20 |  14.93% |  40.00% |
| 9    | Venomicon          |   19 |  14.18% |  68.42% |
| 9    | Toxapex            |   19 |  14.18% |  52.63% |
| 9    | Heatran            |   19 |  14.18% |  47.37% |
| 12   | Clefable           |   18 |  13.43% |  66.67% |
| 12   | Arghonaut          |   18 |  13.43% |  44.44% |
| 14   | Tapu Koko          |   15 |  11.19% |  53.33% |
| 15   | Corviknight        |   14 |  10.45% |  64.29% |
| 15   | Weavile            |   14 |  10.45% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Pelipper           |   13 |   9.70% |  61.54% |
| 18   | Dragonite          |   12 |   8.96% |  58.33% |
| 18   | Tornadus-Therian   |   12 |   8.96% |  58.33% |
| 18   | Venomicon-Epilogue |   12 |   8.96% |  41.67% |
| 21   | Barraskewda        |   11 |   8.21% |  54.55% |
| 21   | Nihilego           |   11 |   8.21% |  54.55% |
| 21   | Garchomp           |   11 |   8.21% |  36.36% |
| 24   | Jumbao             |   10 |   7.46% |  60.00% |
| 24   | Slowbro            |   10 |   7.46% |  40.00% |
| 26   | Cawmodore          |    9 |   6.72% |  44.44% |
| 26   | Blacephalon        |    9 |   6.72% |  44.44% |
| 26   | Kartana            |    9 |   6.72% |  33.33% |
| 29   | Cyclohm            |    8 |   5.97% | 100.00% |
| 29   | Equilibra          |    8 |   5.97% |  87.50% |
| 29   | Volcanion          |    8 |   5.97% |  75.00% |
| 29   | Revenankh          |    8 |   5.97% |  62.50% |
| 29   | Thundurus-Therian  |    8 |   5.97% |  50.00% |
| 29   | Pajantom           |    8 |   5.97% |  50.00% |
| 29   | Zeraora            |    8 |   5.97% |  50.00% |
| 29   | Tyranitar          |    8 |   5.97% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Stratagem          |    7 |   5.22% |  71.43% |
| 37   | Syclant            |    7 |   5.22% |  71.43% |
| 37   | Rotom-Wash         |    7 |   5.22% |  42.86% |
| 37   | Pyroak             |    7 |   5.22% |  42.86% |
| 37   | Urshifu-*          |    7 |   5.22% |  14.29% |
| 42   | Slowking-Galar     |    6 |   4.48% |  83.33% |
| 42   | Krilowatt          |    6 |   4.48% |  83.33% |
| 42   | Magnezone          |    6 |   4.48% |  66.67% |
| 42   | Miasmaw            |    6 |   4.48% |  66.67% |
| 42   | Aurumoth           |    6 |   4.48% |  66.67% |
| 42   | Chromera           |    6 |   4.48% |   0.00% |
| 48   | Melmetal           |    5 |   3.73% |  80.00% |
| 48   | Buzzwole           |    5 |   3.73% |  40.00% |
| 48   | Blissey            |    5 |   3.73% |  20.00% |
| 51   | Volkraken          |    4 |   2.99% |  50.00% |
| 51   | Seismitoad         |    4 |   2.99% |  50.00% |
| 51   | Celesteela         |    4 |   2.99% |  50.00% |
| 51   | Slowking           |    4 |   2.99% |  50.00% |
| 51   | Reuniclus          |    4 |   2.99% |  25.00% |
| 51   | Crucibelle         |    4 |   2.99% |  25.00% |
| 51   | Excadrill          |    4 |   2.99% |  25.00% |
| 51   | Aegislash          |    4 |   2.99% |   0.00% |
| 51   | Ninetales-Alola    |    4 |   2.99% |   0.00% |
| 60   | Jirachi            |    3 |   2.24% | 100.00% |
| 60   | Chansey            |    3 |   2.24% | 100.00% |
| 60   | Scizor             |    3 |   2.24% |  66.67% |
| 60   | Tapu Bulu          |    3 |   2.24% |  66.67% |
| 60   | Zapdos-Galar       |    3 |   2.24% |  66.67% |
| 60   | Moltres-Galar      |    3 |   2.24% |  66.67% |
| 60   | Nidoking           |    3 |   2.24% |  33.33% |
| 60   | Malaconda          |    3 |   2.24% |  33.33% |
| 60   | Hippowdon          |    3 |   2.24% |  33.33% |
| 60   | Victini            |    3 |   2.24% |  33.33% |
| 60   | Kommo-o            |    3 |   2.24% |   0.00% |
| 60   | Bisharp            |    3 |   2.24% |   0.00% |
| 60   | Arctozolt          |    3 |   2.24% |   0.00% |
| 60   | Swampert           |    3 |   2.24% |   0.00% |
| 60   | Mandibuzz          |    3 |   2.24% |   0.00% |
| 75   | Gastrodon          |    2 |   1.49% | 100.00% |
| 75   | Mew                |    2 |   1.49% | 100.00% |
| 75   | Shedinja           |    2 |   1.49% |  50.00% |
| 75   | Stakataka          |    2 |   1.49% |  50.00% |
| 75   | Cresselia          |    2 |   1.49% |  50.00% |
| 75   | Fidgit             |    2 |   1.49% |  50.00% |
| 75   | Tomohawk           |    2 |   1.49% |  50.00% |
| 75   | Xatu               |    2 |   1.49% |  50.00% |
| 75   | Necrozma           |    2 |   1.49% |  50.00% |
| 75   | Regieleki          |    2 |   1.49% |   0.00% |
| 75   | Smokomodo          |    2 |   1.49% |   0.00% |
| 75   | Voodoom            |    2 |   1.49% |   0.00% |
| 75   | Caribolt           |    2 |   1.49% |   0.00% |
| 75   | Cloyster           |    2 |   1.49% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Mollux             |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Kingdra            |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Amoonguss          |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Moltres            |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Quagsire           |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Hydreigon          |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Mesprit            |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Doublade           |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Drampa             |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Eldegoss           |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Dwebble            |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Naviathan          |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Kerfluffle         |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Mantine            |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Skarmory           |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Primarina          |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Glastrier          |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Omastar            |    1 |   0.75% | 100.00% |
| 89   | Hatterene          |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Blaziken           |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Rillaboom          |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Hawlucha           |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Necturna           |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Carracosta         |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Snaelstrom         |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Caimanoe           |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Tirtouga           |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Oranguru           |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |
| 89   | Plasmanta          |    1 |   0.75% |   0.00% |

Feel free to ask about any of these changes and I'll explain them to the best of my ability.
I'm confused by the drops of Colossoil and Necturna. Colossoil I actually think would be a lot better than a few months before because Argh usage is down while Pex and Bro usage is up. Not to mention Knock Off + Toxic is a cool combination and it provides two rarities: Rapid Spin and a Ghost resist, and both are really appreciated. Sure it can't beat Zeraora like other Grounds, but it's not like Zeraora usage is up by significantly more. As for Necturna, all I'll say is that Danny7 plays a mean one.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
I'm confused by the drops of Colossoil and Necturna. Colossoil I actually think would be a lot better than a few months before because Argh usage is down while Pex and Bro usage is up. Not to mention Knock Off + Toxic is a cool combination and it provides two rarities: Rapid Spin and a Ghost resist, and both are really appreciated. Sure it can't beat Zeraora like other Grounds, but it's not like Zeraora usage is up by significantly more. As for Necturna, all I'll say is that Danny7 plays a mean one.
Personally I voted for Colossoil to stay B+, but there's a school of thought that says it's been slowly trending downwards basically since Venomicon dropped. It doesn't fare well into either of the books (though knocking the base form is still pretty good) whereas Lando can at least keep up momentum vs them with U-turn. Colo also demands specific teammates to help against Zera / Koko, which ends up limiting the amount of structures it can fit on pretty hard; mons like Ferro, Glowking, and Astroltol can be easy enough to slot to help with the Koko matchup, but you're also going to need something like Buzzwole or physdef Clefable to deal with Zeraora (and even then, its Bulk Up set can be really problematic). Additionally, Colo used to be rated super highly for its Ghost resist, but with the meta finding new ways to cope with Dragapult's presence, that trait is slightly less valuable now. Overall, it's still quite a solid mon, just limited in the kinds of teams it finds consistent success on.

Necturna also suffered a similar fate after Venomicon's release. The plethora of bulky Flying-types running around just makes its life pretty hard. AV Tornadus, Dragonite, Venomicon, and even slightly more rare stuff like Galar Moltres all give it issues, not to mention other non Flying-types like Melmetal, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Weavile. The best thing it has going for it is probably its set versatility between Geomancy and Shell Smash, but both sets struggle a lot against the aforementioned Pokemon. Other offensive Grass-types like Tapu Bulu and Jumbao dropping alongside it reflect these issues, too. Nect's one niche on HO teams has ultimately been filled better by other setup sweepers, and as a result, it's barely seen any high-level tour success (or gameplay at all) recently.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
:landorus-therian::ferrothorn::colossoil:CAP Majors:dragapult::heatran::clefable:
Code:
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   |   74 |  39.36% |  52.70% |
| 2    | Ferrothorn         |   66 |  35.11% |  51.52% |
| 3    | Colossoil          |   40 |  21.28% |  62.50% |
| 4    | Dragapult          |   37 |  19.68% |  54.05% |
| 4    | Heatran            |   37 |  19.68% |  54.05% |
| 6    | Clefable           |   33 |  17.55% |  63.64% |
| 7    | Zapdos             |   32 |  17.02% |  34.38% |
| 8    | Astrolotl          |   31 |  16.49% |  38.71% |
| 9    | Tapu Fini          |   28 |  14.89% |  39.29% |
| 10   | Toxapex            |   27 |  14.36% |  48.15% |
| 11   | Arghonaut          |   26 |  13.83% |  46.15% |
| 12   | Tapu Lele          |   24 |  12.77% |  41.67% |
| 13   | Venomicon          |   23 |  12.23% |  60.87% |
| 13   | Corviknight        |   23 |  12.23% |  56.52% |
| 13   | Weavile            |   23 |  12.23% |  39.13% |
| 16   | Jumbao             |   19 |  10.11% |  68.42% |
| 17   | Tornadus-Therian   |   18 |   9.57% |  55.56% |
| 18   | Tapu Koko          |   17 |   9.04% |  58.82% |
| 18   | Zeraora            |   17 |   9.04% |  52.94% |
| 20   | Pajantom           |   16 |   8.51% |  62.50% |
| 20   | Venomicon-Epilogue |   16 |   8.51% |  37.50% |
| 20   | Garchomp           |   16 |   8.51% |  31.25% |
| 23   | Slowking-Galar     |   15 |   7.98% |  46.67% |
| 24   | Cyclohm            |   14 |   7.45% |  78.57% |
| 24   | Dragonite          |   14 |   7.45% |  64.29% |
| 24   | Slowbro            |   14 |   7.45% |  42.86% |
| 27   | Pelipper           |   13 |   6.91% |  61.54% |
| 27   | Revenankh          |   13 |   6.91% |  61.54% |
| 29   | Melmetal           |   12 |   6.38% |  66.67% |
| 29   | Blacephalon        |   12 |   6.38% |  41.67% |
| 31   | Rotom-Wash         |   11 |   5.85% |  63.64% |
| 31   | Equilibra          |   11 |   5.85% |  63.64% |
| 31   | Barraskewda        |   11 |   5.85% |  54.55% |
| 31   | Nihilego           |   11 |   5.85% |  54.55% |
| 31   | Tyranitar          |   11 |   5.85% |  45.45% |
| 31   | Kartana            |   11 |   5.85% |  36.36% |
| 37   | Volcanion          |   10 |   5.32% |  70.00% |
| 37   | Stratagem          |   10 |   5.32% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Cawmodore          |   10 |   5.32% |  40.00% |
| 40   | Miasmaw            |    9 |   4.79% |  44.44% |
| 40   | Pyroak             |    9 |   4.79% |  33.33% |
| 40   | Urshifu-*          |    9 |   4.79% |  11.11% |
| 43   | Gastrodon          |    8 |   4.26% |  75.00% |
| 43   | Scizor             |    8 |   4.26% |  75.00% |
| 43   | Tapu Bulu          |    8 |   4.26% |  62.50% |
| 43   | Thundurus-Therian  |    8 |   4.26% |  50.00% |
| 43   | Buzzwole           |    8 |   4.26% |  50.00% |
| 48   | Syclant            |    7 |   3.72% |  71.43% |
| 48   | Krilowatt          |    7 |   3.72% |  71.43% |
| 48   | Aurumoth           |    7 |   3.72% |  57.14% |
| 48   | Slowking           |    7 |   3.72% |  57.14% |
| 48   | Blissey            |    7 |   3.72% |  28.57% |
| 48   | Ninetales-Alola    |    7 |   3.72% |  14.29% |
| 48   | Chromera           |    7 |   3.72% |   0.00% |
| 55   | Magnezone          |    6 |   3.19% |  66.67% |
| 55   | Zapdos-Galar       |    6 |   3.19% |  66.67% |
| 57   | Volkraken          |    5 |   2.66% |  60.00% |
| 57   | Reuniclus          |    5 |   2.66% |  40.00% |
| 57   | Hippowdon          |    5 |   2.66% |  20.00% |
| 57   | Arctozolt          |    5 |   2.66% |  20.00% |
| 61   | Mew                |    4 |   2.13% | 100.00% |
| 61   | Chansey            |    4 |   2.13% |  75.00% |
| 61   | Seismitoad         |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Shedinja           |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Celesteela         |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Moltres-Galar      |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Nidoking           |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Smokomodo          |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Malaconda          |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Crucibelle         |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Victini            |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Excadrill          |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Aegislash          |    4 |   2.13% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Jirachi            |    3 |   1.60% | 100.00% |
| 74   | Kerfluffle         |    3 |   1.60% | 100.00% |
| 74   | Tomohawk           |    3 |   1.60% |  66.67% |
| 74   | Naviathan          |    3 |   1.60% |  66.67% |
| 74   | Skarmory           |    3 |   1.60% |  66.67% |
| 74   | Kommo-o            |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Caribolt           |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Bisharp            |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Swampert           |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Mandibuzz          |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Stakataka          |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Cresselia          |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Fidgit             |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Xatu               |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Necrozma           |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Regieleki          |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Voodoom            |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Rillaboom          |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Cloyster           |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Snaelstrom         |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Plasmanta          |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Mollux             |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Kingdra            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Amoonguss          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Moltres            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Quagsire           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Hydreigon          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Mesprit            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Doublade           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Drampa             |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Eldegoss           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Dwebble            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Mantine            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Primarina          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Glastrier          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Omastar            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Dragalge           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Saharaja           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Hatterene          |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Blaziken           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Hawlucha           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Necturna           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Carracosta         |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Caimanoe           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Tirtouga           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Oranguru           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Salamence          |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Snorlax            |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Kitsunoh           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Latias             |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
Yeah I did say I was gonna do this.
Pretty sure 1/3 of Colossoil's usage comes from Micaiah alone lol, anyway unfortunate that such an outstanding performance for a B-ranked mon was followed quickly by the release of a new Rapid-Spinning Ground-type, else that'd be solid nom potential.

It is rather early to make any calls so rather consider this a preliminary "vr forecast" for how things have responded to Saharaja's impact on the metagame so far. Not fully comprehensive but I've not been awake for even an hour yet idk add to this list if you feel so inclined

Better
:syclant: benefits massively from its good matchup, can switch in on Diamond Storm with ease thanks to Mountaineer, threatens back hard
:tapu bulu: can be awkward to run alongside Raja but is a good check to it otherwise, can tech for problem matchups like Ferro, has a lot of unexplored depth right now as a Grass-type attacker with sizeable defensive qualities
:buzzwole: more physical mons to check = more reason to run Buzzwole
:rillaboom: could definitely see a resurgence but has to compete with Bulu potentially, either way interest in strong Grass breakers is high right now
:equilibra: if you do not like dealing with the new mon run this thing, you can even run both it honestly works
:arghonaut: good MU against Raja if its not running super strong Grass coverage
:clefable: likewise unaware clef feels really good right now, have had a lot of success with this mon.
:jumbao: ranking this better solely because it can reveal serene grace, idk dude grass type moment
:rotom-wash: despite looking really bad on paper versus Raja the truth is this can lure it in quite nicely and then ruin it with Wisp, also this mon is just as annoyingly unkillable as ever and pairs well with plenty of top mons right now

Worse
:colossoil: competition for its slot, remains a perfectly good mon that can run strong defensive/offensive sets but Raja does similarly while actually feeling like a real Electric immunity
:landorus-therian: not as necessary as before but still really good, hits hard uninvested and has a wide array of options, still a top mon in the meta
:slowbro::slowking: Raja bait
:slowking-galar: Also Raja bait but your chances of doing something annoying back is higher thanks to Glowking's tendacy to run multiple coverage moves, most of which have bad secondary effects
:toxapex: Raja bait, ig you can bother it with Toxic (Spikes) or Knock but you are not 1v1ing
:tapu-fini: only slightly, still has a lot going for it and misty terrain is always valuable, options like Trick, Nature's Madness, Calm Mind help it stay relevant despite the many mons that get in the way
:zapdos: does not like the introduction of a fat SpDef Ground that hits it SE literally all the time with a coverage move you usually don't want it clicking else it becomes hard to manage. Hurricane is useful in theory but in practice you need a lot of odds in your favor
:krilowatt: rip

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
:landorus-therian::ferrothorn::colossoil:CAP Majors:dragapult::heatran::clefable:
Code:
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   |   74 |  39.36% |  52.70% |
| 2    | Ferrothorn         |   66 |  35.11% |  51.52% |
| 3    | Colossoil          |   40 |  21.28% |  62.50% |
| 4    | Dragapult          |   37 |  19.68% |  54.05% |
| 4    | Heatran            |   37 |  19.68% |  54.05% |
| 6    | Clefable           |   33 |  17.55% |  63.64% |
| 7    | Zapdos             |   32 |  17.02% |  34.38% |
| 8    | Astrolotl          |   31 |  16.49% |  38.71% |
| 9    | Tapu Fini          |   28 |  14.89% |  39.29% |
| 10   | Toxapex            |   27 |  14.36% |  48.15% |
| 11   | Arghonaut          |   26 |  13.83% |  46.15% |
| 12   | Tapu Lele          |   24 |  12.77% |  41.67% |
| 13   | Venomicon          |   23 |  12.23% |  60.87% |
| 13   | Corviknight        |   23 |  12.23% |  56.52% |
| 13   | Weavile            |   23 |  12.23% |  39.13% |
| 16   | Jumbao             |   19 |  10.11% |  68.42% |
| 17   | Tornadus-Therian   |   18 |   9.57% |  55.56% |
| 18   | Tapu Koko          |   17 |   9.04% |  58.82% |
| 18   | Zeraora            |   17 |   9.04% |  52.94% |
| 20   | Pajantom           |   16 |   8.51% |  62.50% |
| 20   | Venomicon-Epilogue |   16 |   8.51% |  37.50% |
| 20   | Garchomp           |   16 |   8.51% |  31.25% |
| 23   | Slowking-Galar     |   15 |   7.98% |  46.67% |
| 24   | Cyclohm            |   14 |   7.45% |  78.57% |
| 24   | Dragonite          |   14 |   7.45% |  64.29% |
| 24   | Slowbro            |   14 |   7.45% |  42.86% |
| 27   | Pelipper           |   13 |   6.91% |  61.54% |
| 27   | Revenankh          |   13 |   6.91% |  61.54% |
| 29   | Melmetal           |   12 |   6.38% |  66.67% |
| 29   | Blacephalon        |   12 |   6.38% |  41.67% |
| 31   | Rotom-Wash         |   11 |   5.85% |  63.64% |
| 31   | Equilibra          |   11 |   5.85% |  63.64% |
| 31   | Barraskewda        |   11 |   5.85% |  54.55% |
| 31   | Nihilego           |   11 |   5.85% |  54.55% |
| 31   | Tyranitar          |   11 |   5.85% |  45.45% |
| 31   | Kartana            |   11 |   5.85% |  36.36% |
| 37   | Volcanion          |   10 |   5.32% |  70.00% |
| 37   | Stratagem          |   10 |   5.32% |  50.00% |
| 37   | Cawmodore          |   10 |   5.32% |  40.00% |
| 40   | Miasmaw            |    9 |   4.79% |  44.44% |
| 40   | Pyroak             |    9 |   4.79% |  33.33% |
| 40   | Urshifu-*          |    9 |   4.79% |  11.11% |
| 43   | Gastrodon          |    8 |   4.26% |  75.00% |
| 43   | Scizor             |    8 |   4.26% |  75.00% |
| 43   | Tapu Bulu          |    8 |   4.26% |  62.50% |
| 43   | Thundurus-Therian  |    8 |   4.26% |  50.00% |
| 43   | Buzzwole           |    8 |   4.26% |  50.00% |
| 48   | Syclant            |    7 |   3.72% |  71.43% |
| 48   | Krilowatt          |    7 |   3.72% |  71.43% |
| 48   | Aurumoth           |    7 |   3.72% |  57.14% |
| 48   | Slowking           |    7 |   3.72% |  57.14% |
| 48   | Blissey            |    7 |   3.72% |  28.57% |
| 48   | Ninetales-Alola    |    7 |   3.72% |  14.29% |
| 48   | Chromera           |    7 |   3.72% |   0.00% |
| 55   | Magnezone          |    6 |   3.19% |  66.67% |
| 55   | Zapdos-Galar       |    6 |   3.19% |  66.67% |
| 57   | Volkraken          |    5 |   2.66% |  60.00% |
| 57   | Reuniclus          |    5 |   2.66% |  40.00% |
| 57   | Hippowdon          |    5 |   2.66% |  20.00% |
| 57   | Arctozolt          |    5 |   2.66% |  20.00% |
| 61   | Mew                |    4 |   2.13% | 100.00% |
| 61   | Chansey            |    4 |   2.13% |  75.00% |
| 61   | Seismitoad         |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Shedinja           |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Celesteela         |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Moltres-Galar      |    4 |   2.13% |  50.00% |
| 61   | Nidoking           |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Smokomodo          |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Malaconda          |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Crucibelle         |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Victini            |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Excadrill          |    4 |   2.13% |  25.00% |
| 61   | Aegislash          |    4 |   2.13% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Jirachi            |    3 |   1.60% | 100.00% |
| 74   | Kerfluffle         |    3 |   1.60% | 100.00% |
| 74   | Tomohawk           |    3 |   1.60% |  66.67% |
| 74   | Naviathan          |    3 |   1.60% |  66.67% |
| 74   | Skarmory           |    3 |   1.60% |  66.67% |
| 74   | Kommo-o            |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Caribolt           |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Bisharp            |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Swampert           |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 74   | Mandibuzz          |    3 |   1.60% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Stakataka          |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Cresselia          |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Fidgit             |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Xatu               |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Necrozma           |    2 |   1.06% |  50.00% |
| 84   | Regieleki          |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Voodoom            |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Rillaboom          |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Cloyster           |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Snaelstrom         |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 84   | Plasmanta          |    2 |   1.06% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Mollux             |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Kingdra            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Amoonguss          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Moltres            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Quagsire           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Hydreigon          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Mesprit            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Doublade           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Drampa             |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Eldegoss           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Dwebble            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Mantine            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Primarina          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Glastrier          |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Omastar            |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Dragalge           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Saharaja           |    1 |   0.53% | 100.00% |
| 95   | Hatterene          |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Crawdaunt          |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Blaziken           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Hawlucha           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Necturna           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Carracosta         |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Caimanoe           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Tirtouga           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Oranguru           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Salamence          |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Snorlax            |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Kitsunoh           |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
| 95   | Latias             |    1 |   0.53% |   0.00% |
Yeah I did say I was gonna do this.
Pretty sure 1/3 of Colossoil's usage comes from Micaiah alone lol, anyway unfortunate that such an outstanding performance for a B-ranked mon was followed quickly by the release of a new Rapid-Spinning Ground-type, else that'd be solid nom potential.

It is rather early to make any calls so rather consider this a preliminary "vr forecast" for how things have responded to Saharaja's impact on the metagame so far. Not fully comprehensive but I've not been awake for even an hour yet idk add to this list if you feel so inclined

Better
:syclant: benefits massively from its good matchup, can switch in on Diamond Storm with ease thanks to Mountaineer, threatens back hard
:tapu bulu: can be awkward to run alongside Raja but is a good check to it otherwise, can tech for problem matchups like Ferro, has a lot of unexplored depth right now as a Grass-type attacker with sizeable defensive qualities
:buzzwole: more physical mons to check = more reason to run Buzzwole
:rillaboom: could definitely see a resurgence but has to compete with Bulu potentially, either way interest in strong Grass breakers is high right now
:equilibra: if you do not like dealing with the new mon run this thing, you can even run both it honestly works
:arghonaut: good MU against Raja if its not running super strong Grass coverage
:clefable: likewise unaware clef feels really good right now, have had a lot of success with this mon.
:jumbao: ranking this better solely because it can reveal serene grace, idk dude grass type moment
:rotom-wash: despite looking really bad on paper versus Raja the truth is this can lure it in quite nicely and then ruin it with Wisp, also this mon is just as annoyingly unkillable as ever and pairs well with plenty of top mons right now

Worse
:colossoil: competition for its slot, remains a perfectly good mon that can run strong defensive/offensive sets but Raja does similarly while actually feeling like a real Electric immunity
:landorus-therian: not as necessary as before but still really good, hits hard uninvested and has a wide array of options, still a top mon in the meta
:slowbro::slowking: Raja bait
:slowking-galar: Also Raja bait but your chances of doing something annoying back is higher thanks to Glowking's tendacy to run multiple coverage moves, most of which have bad secondary effects
:toxapex: Raja bait, ig you can bother it with Toxic (Spikes) or Knock but you are not 1v1ing
:tapu-fini: only slightly, still has a lot going for it and misty terrain is always valuable, options like Trick, Nature's Madness, Calm Mind help it stay relevant despite the many mons that get in the way
:zapdos: does not like the introduction of a fat SpDef Ground that hits it SE literally all the time with a coverage move you usually don't want it clicking else it becomes hard to manage. Hurricane is useful in theory but in practice you need a lot of odds in your favor
:krilowatt: rip
I really hope you didn't do these by hand again.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
First VR update since CAPPL and Saharaja's drop! Wooo get excited

Newly Ranked:
  • 1658200027371.png
    Saharaja → A
  • :Cyclohm: Cyclohm → C
Rises:
  • :Melmetal: Melmetal A → A+
  • :Zapdos: Zapdos A → A+
  • :Pyroak: Pyroak A- → A
  • :Buzzwole: Buzzwole B+ → A-
  • :Equilibra: Equilibra B → B+
  • :Tyranitar: Tyranitar B → A-
  • :Rillaboom: Rillaboom B- → B
  • :Syclant: Syclant B- → B
  • :Excadrill: Excadrill C → B
  • :Jumbao: Jumbao C → B-
  • :Reuniclus: Reuniclus C → B-
Drops:
  • :Heatran: Heatran S- → A+
  • :Tapu-Fini: Tapu Fini A+ → A
  • :Toxapex: Toxapex A+ → A
  • :Zeraora: Zeraora A → A-
  • :Magnezone: Magnezone A- → B+
  • :Volcanion: Volcanion A- → B+
  • :Zapdos-Galar: Zapdos-Galar A- → B+
  • :Nihilego: Nihilego B+ → B
  • :Volcarona: Volcarona B+ → B
  • :Krilowatt: Krilowatt B → B-
  • :Skarmory: Skarmory B- → C
  • :Swampert: Swampert C → UR
As always, if you're curious about the reasoning behind any of these, go ahead and ask and I'll do my best to explain!

dex

man no noms??? gotta get those in...

:Astrolotl: A+ -> A-: Now this may seem strange, but I think the meta is becoming more and more unfavorable to Astrolotl's desired style of play. As the metagame trends towards the offensive, Astrolotl's inability to avoid 2HKOes from strong attackers makes it difficult to extract value from its utility. Arghonaut and Ferrothorn, with their better bulk and more useful defensive typings, have proven to be the superior spikers in the tier. Furthermore, Astrolotl's additional utility often comes at a price. Encore over Will-O-Wisp is necessary to check Venomicon but leaves it completely forced out by Saharaja. Dragon Tail over Stomping Tantrum lets Astrolotl soft check Pyroak but leaves it helpless against Heatran. It is simply difficult to justify using Astro right now over other spikers, and I have found my builds with the mon to be unsuccessful as of late. I could even see it dropping out of A- altogether, that's how difficult I find it to use now, and Astrolotl should be anything but difficult to use.

I will refrain on making the nom itself, as Saharaja is due for some changes, but it would qualify for A+ rank over A.

:Clefable: A -> A+: Clefable is Clefable. It's better than the rest of A.

:Garchomp: A -> A+: SpD Garchomp has been a new favorite tool of mine. It is deceptively difficult to take down, and it is an excellent Toxic user.

:Equilibra: B+ -> A-: As predicted, Equilibra absolutely countering Saharaja has boosted its viability. That's not all, though. I think Protect Libra is an untapped resource in the metagame, as it is an amazing scout, and Protect forces awkward Doom Desire interactions. Its defensive attributes are once more needed in the metagame; for instance, Equilibra + Zapdos wall all Melmetal variants together.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
I will be the nommer.

:landorus-therian: S A+
:saharaja: A → A+

These are without question the best two grounds available, and accounting for Saharaja's usage almost certainly being inflated by new toy syndrome, I feel like moving them both to A+ is a good way of acknowledging how much our new CAP has flourished without overrating it. Lando falling from S all the way down to A+ isn't so much it being worse but rather being less necessary: Raja is more than capable serving as the fat Ground that can set/remove hazards and still be offensively threatening while doing so, but accomplishes this is a much different manner due to its unique typing of Ground + Water Absorb and the natural threat of its many boosting options. LandoT is still a perfectly viable mon with daresay better set variety, team support in Turn/Knock/Toxic, and Ground + Spikes immunity while soft checking a bevy of Physical Attackers. The dynamic between these two in 1v1s and mirrors is pretty interesting and encapsulates why I feel these manage to be equals: Lando is really good at pressuring Raja and opposing Lando with Toxic or Knock Off, while Raja is more inclined to threaten with chip via Diamond Storm into Lando or STAB EQ for other Raja, and how bad this can be for the receiving end varies a lot from game-to-game.

Honestly the simplest way of explaining this is
Code:
| 1    | Saharaja           |   47 |  34.06% |  60.64% |
| 12   | Landorus-Therian   |   23 |  16.67% |  30.43% |
The consecutive #1 in usage mon for the past forever now being a solid 12th is undeniably a massive shift, especially within such a large and competitive tournament. If that's too small of a sample size, good news I managed to have my hand-crank operated Stat-o-Matic fired up and was able to use the punchcards it produced to get this additional CAP31 Playtest usage stats up for presentation:

Code:
| 1    | Saharaja           |   77 |  36.67% |  54.55% |
| 2    | Zapdos             |   55 |  26.19% |  58.18% |
| 3    | Landorus-Therian   |   52 |  24.76% |  42.31% |
| 4    | Ferrothorn         |   51 |  24.29% |  50.98% |
| 5    | Tapu Fini          |   45 |  21.43% |  55.56% |
| 6    | Weavile            |   41 |  19.52% |  58.54% |
| 7    | Venomicon-Epilogue |   40 |  19.05% |  52.50% |
| 7    | Pyroak             |   40 |  19.05% |  47.50% |
| 9    | Heatran            |   39 |  18.57% |  35.90% |
| 10   | Dragapult          |   38 |  18.10% |  44.74% |
| 11   | Clefable           |   35 |  16.67% |  60.00% |
| 11   | Arghonaut          |   35 |  16.67% |  60.00% |
| 11   | Cawmodore          |   35 |  16.67% |  48.57% |
| 14   | Tapu Lele          |   34 |  16.19% |  55.88% |
| 14   | Tornadus-Therian   |   34 |  16.19% |  38.24% |
| 16   | Ninetales-Alola    |   32 |  15.24% |  56.25% |
| 17   | Kartana            |   31 |  14.76% |  51.61% |
| 17   | Tapu Koko          |   31 |  14.76% |  29.03% |
| 19   | Tyranitar          |   29 |  13.81% |  65.52% |
| 20   | Astrolotl          |   28 |  13.33% |  53.57% |
| 21   | Garchomp           |   26 |  12.38% |  50.00% |
| 22   | Corviknight        |   24 |  11.43% |  45.83% |
| 23   | Toxapex            |   23 |  10.95% |  39.13% |
| 24   | Venomicon          |   22 |  10.48% |  50.00% |
| 25   | Slowking-Galar     |   21 |  10.00% |  47.62% |
| 25   | Melmetal           |   21 |  10.00% |  33.33% |
| 27   | Slowbro            |   19 |   9.05% |  57.89% |
| 28   | Rotom-Wash         |   15 |   7.14% |  60.00% |
| 29   | Blacephalon        |   14 |   6.67% |  28.57% |
| 30   | Equilibra          |   13 |   6.19% |  84.62% |
| 30   | Pajantom           |   13 |   6.19% |  61.54% |
| 32   | Moltres-Galar      |   11 |   5.24% |  36.36% |
| 32   | Colossoil          |   11 |   5.24% |  36.36% |
| 34   | Stratagem          |   10 |   4.76% |  80.00% |
| 35   | Zeraora            |    9 |   4.29% |  77.78% |
| 36   | Mew                |    8 |   3.81% |  75.00% |
| 36   | Buzzwole           |    8 |   3.81% |  25.00% |
| 36   | Hawlucha           |    8 |   3.81% |  12.50% |
| 39   | Fidgit             |    7 |   3.33% |  57.14% |
| 39   | Dragonite          |    7 |   3.33% |  28.57% |
| 41   | Zapdos-Galar       |    6 |   2.86% |  66.67% |
| 41   | Jumbao             |    6 |   2.86% |  66.67% |
| 41   | Revenankh          |    6 |   2.86% |  66.67% |
| 41   | Gastrodon          |    6 |   2.86% |  50.00% |
| 41   | Reuniclus          |    6 |   2.86% |  33.33% |
| 46   | Excadrill          |    5 |   2.38% |  80.00% |
| 46   | Celesteela         |    5 |   2.38% |  60.00% |
| 46   | Necturna           |    5 |   2.38% |  60.00% |
| 46   | Urshifu-*          |    5 |   2.38% |  40.00% |
| 46   | Slowking           |    5 |   2.38% |  40.00% |
| 46   | Rillaboom          |    5 |   2.38% |  40.00% |
| 52   | Skarmory           |    4 |   1.90% | 100.00% |
| 52   | Volcanion          |    4 |   1.90% |  75.00% |
| 52   | Tangrowth          |    4 |   1.90% |  75.00% |
| 52   | Nihilego           |    4 |   1.90% |  50.00% |
| 52   | Necrozma           |    4 |   1.90% |  50.00% |
| 52   | Syclant            |    4 |   1.90% |  50.00% |
| 52   | Cresselia          |    4 |   1.90% |  50.00% |
| 52   | Magnezone          |    4 |   1.90% |  25.00% |
| 52   | Naviathan          |    4 |   1.90% |   0.00% |
| 61   | Chromera           |    3 |   1.43% |  66.67% |
| 61   | Hippowdon          |    3 |   1.43% |  33.33% |
| 61   | Hatterene          |    3 |   1.43% |  33.33% |
| 61   | Volcarona          |    3 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 61   | Crucibelle         |    3 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 61   | Crawdaunt          |    3 |   1.43% |   0.00% |
| 67   | Aegislash          |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Miasmaw            |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Zarude             |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Stakataka          |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Glastrier          |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Primarina          |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Cloyster           |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Regieleki          |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Copperajah         |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Blaziken           |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Nidoking           |    2 |   0.95% |  50.00% |
| 67   | Scizor             |    2 |   0.95% |   0.00% |
| 67   | Scolipede          |    2 |   0.95% |   0.00% |
| 67   | Blissey            |    2 |   0.95% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Aurumoth           |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Volkraken          |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Snaelstrom         |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Jirachi            |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Quagsire           |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Voodoom            |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Terrakion          |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Dracozolt          |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Bisharp            |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Venusaur           |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Torkoal            |    1 |   0.48% | 100.00% |
| 81   | Suicune            |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Hydreigon          |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Tomohawk           |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Krilowatt          |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Pelipper           |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Seismitoad         |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Barraskewda        |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Cyclohm            |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Chansey            |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Kommo-o            |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Smokomodo          |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Malaconda          |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Victini            |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Porygon2           |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |
| 81   | Clawitzer          |    1 |   0.48% |   0.00% |

Overall I'd say the result are pretty definitive, Raja is on top of the Playtest and Lando, though still being used frequently, is no longer the king of the tier. Even when considering higher usage and winrate for Saharaja as people learn to play with/against it, it's continued success throughout both tournaments is enough for me to say a rise to A+, and to drop Lando-T down with it to better represent how both have settled into the last big metagame shift.

Other stuff:

I don't know how to feel about S Rank rn, Weavile and Ferrothorn are both excellent but having these two in S- feels... off, especially as Saharaja has more ways to annoy them than Lando does (+2 attack +2 defense +1 speed moment), and I'm not sure if I can say either is dominating the metagame right now. If anything drop Ferrothorn down to A+ and make Weavile the sole S-Rank since it absolutely demands some sort of answer on every team, has very few switch-ins that don't get crippled in some way, and fits on a wide variety of playstyles, but I honestly could see just axing the S-Rank entirely.

:equilibra: B+ → A- Agree with dex, not only is this a good answer to Raja but Libra also loves pairing with the former as the two can make for a dastardly double-Ground structure, and in general being a stat ball that can tank SE hits for days is a really good trait to have.

:arghonaut: B → B+ This has been seeing too much success lately to not deserve a minor bump to B+, its quite good versus SpinSD Raja which is the main set people use and likely the main set going forward after PPL, honestly you could argue A- just by looking at stats but the Venoms make me really skeptical about how splashable it actually is versus how much its been used as of late.

:buzzwole: A- B+ Offense is big right now and Buzz seems to be too slow to keep up; Zapdos and Torn being very popular do not help in the slightest, while Lando losing its stake as the go-to Ground for most builds hurts as well since it heavily enjoyed messing with its generally slower style of play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)