Spreading paralysis in UU

Hello, I am running a hail team with Glaceon in UU. ATM my current strategy is to use entry hasard, paralysis and confusion to abuse frosslass and Glaceon's snow cloak trait and hail damage.

However, I often find myself unable to spread paralysis effectively, Most players will stay in when they realise Frosslass can't touch them (moveset is substitute, confuse ray, thunder wave and spikes ).

Seams like it would be a good idea to fit ice beam on frosslass because she struggle against ground types immune to TW. Good chance also that the opponent will switch his parafused poke when frosslass starts fiering Ice Beams, so I can have more of the team slowed for Glaceon.

Any other tips on how to spread paralysis in UU ?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I use Blizzard on my Froslass because of its high power, plus it's accuracy increases to 100 in hail. I still run T-Wave so I can get paralysis. It also depends on what other pokemon you are using on your team. Clefable with T-Wave could work since it doesn't take damage in hail. One problem I often have with my team is I don't have someone to clear my other pokemon of toxic or paralysis, and Clefable has access to Aromatherapy. I'm also assuming you are running a stallrein, so you should probably use the Superfang-Brine combo, since you want other pokemon T-Waved. But if you are thinking of running something with toxic, then stallrein with Superfang-Toxic could work also. My Glaceon usually outspeeds many of the foes I send it in on, and with luck, it'll dodge any attacks made by its faster enemies, so using T-Wave isn't a total neccessity for my team, though it often helps. These are my suggestions, use them if you want to, although I'm sure there are better ideas.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As far as great status platforms in UU, you can never go wrong with Uxie and Slowbro. Uxie has an underappreciated base 95 Speed which outruns a good majority of the tier, and from there she can get the jump on a lot of Pokemon and land a quick Thunder Wave. Slowbro spreads status in a different way, coming in on a whole host of Pokemon, like pretty much any of the Fighting-type Pokemon, Arcanine, weaker physical attackers (like Ambipom), and from there can throw around Thunder Waves that are bound to catch the offensive Pokemon that attempt to come in, things like Venusaur, Raikou, just to name a couple. Slowbro also has the added benefit of providing a handy Fire resist to Hail teams, as well as making sure that Pokemon like Swords Dance Kabutops don't just run right through you.

One Pokemon that I often see trying to spread paralysis around but failing at it is Registeel. Registeel often attracts Ground-type Pokemon who are obviously immune to its Thunder Wave. Beyond that, it also attracts the (now) often Guts Hariyama, and Limber Hitmonlee, who are either made more powerful, or immune to Paralysis. Honestly, the only thing that you're likely to catch that you would even want to is the odd Moltres switch-in, but Paralysis is so common on Registeel that you'll be hard pressed to find a player who won't scout for it.

In short: use Pokemon that deter Ground-types, and also have ample opportunities to switch in, and you'll have no problem spreading around some Paralysis.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Don't forget the extremely overlooked Jumpluff. Through its ability to cause switches with Encore and Leech Seed, Jumpluff can spread paralysis easily through Stun Spore. It even affects ground types (although the only one worth paralyzing is Dugtrio, and maybe the odd RPerior.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As far as great status platforms in UU, you can never go wrong with Uxie and Slowbro. Uxie has an underappreciated base 95 Speed which outruns a good majority of the tier, and from there she can get the jump on a lot of Pokemon and land a quick Thunder Wave. Slowbro spreads status in a different way, coming in on a whole host of Pokemon, like pretty much any of the Fighting-type Pokemon, Arcanine, weaker physical attackers (like Ambipom), and from there can throw around Thunder Waves that are bound to catch the offensive Pokemon that attempt to come in, things like Venusaur, Raikou, just to name a couple. Slowbro also has the added benefit of providing a handy Fire resist to Hail teams, as well as making sure that Pokemon like Swords Dance Kabutops don't just run right through you.

One Pokemon that I often see trying to spread paralysis around but failing at it is Registeel. Registeel often attracts Ground-type Pokemon who are obviously immune to its Thunder Wave. Beyond that, it also attracts the (now) often Guts Hariyama, and Limber Hitmonlee, who are either made more powerful, or immune to Paralysis. Honestly, the only thing that you're likely to catch that you would even want to is the odd Moltres switch-in, but Paralysis is so common on Registeel that you'll be hard pressed to find a player who won't scout for it.

In short: use Pokemon that deter Ground-types, and also have ample opportunities to switch in, and you'll have no problem spreading around some Paralysis.
Uxie is clearly a bro.

Lanturn is great a spreading paralysis as most ground types fear switching into it.

Rotom makes a GREAT status platform (there is even a set called that)

Am I the only one forgetting Froslass learns T-wave? I know she's supposed to be a spiker, but she can run a parafusion set or just T-wave over Taunt on the normal set.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm of the opinion that Froslass shouldn't run Taunt anyway because your opponent will most likely attack right away and it's wasting both your sash and valuable turns for Spikes, which is going to change the game more than whatever the hell it is they're doing.

Also, don't use Froslass to spread paralysis. Parafuse and Snow Cloak is tempting, but she's too fast and not bulky enough to take advantage of it. It's not efficient for any purpose other than annoying your opponent and prolonging the match, which isn't always going to result in a win. Anything with bulk and Twave will spread paralysis for you just fine. Registeel is a prime example because it has amazing defenses, typing, and gets to abuse its STAB Iron Head after the fact to amass Leftovers recovery and keep your opponent from hitting you.

If you want a more effective set for spreading Spikes, replace Confuse Ray and Twave with Ice Beam and Pain Split. It'll keep her alive longer while still giving your opponent enough hell to allow you to set up. Blizzard in Hail is nice, but it's only 8 PP, which is bad for defensive/support role. Once they lose their ability to defend themselves, they're setup fodder.

Am I the only one forgetting Froslass learns T-wave? I know she's supposed to be a spiker, but she can run a parafusion set or just T-wave over Taunt on the normal set.
The OP mentioned that his frosslass is already running T-Wave.

I think jumpluff would work really well since it will draw the dangerous fire types, especially if they assume its subseeding.

Don't forget the extremely overlooked Jumpluff. Through its ability to cause switches with Encore and Leech Seed, Jumpluff can spread paralysis easily through Stun Spore. It even affects ground types (although the only one worth paralyzing is Dugtrio, and maybe the odd RPerior.
A very good point, its not just Twave that spreads paralysis, i prefer stun spore even with a lower accuracy.

Have you thought about just weakenening the opponent and then sweeping with scarf Glaceon, it might be easier.

I'm of the opinion that Froslass shouldn't run Taunt anyway because your opponent will most likely attack right away and it's wasting both your sash and valuable turns for Spikes, which is going to change the game more than whatever the hell it is they're doing.

Also, don't use Froslass to spread paralysis. Parafuse and Snow Cloak is tempting, but she's too fast and not bulky enough to take advantage of it. It's not efficient for any purpose other than annoying your opponent and prolonging the match, which isn't always going to result in a win. Anything with bulk and Twave will spread paralysis for you just fine. Registeel is a prime example because it has amazing defenses, typing, and gets to abuse its STAB Iron Head after the fact to amass Leftovers recovery and keep your opponent from hitting you.

If you want a more effective set for spreading Spikes, replace Confuse Ray and Twave with Ice Beam and Pain Split. It'll keep her alive longer while still giving your opponent enough hell to allow you to set up. Blizzard in Hail is nice, but it's only 8 PP, which is bad for defensive/support role. Once they lose their ability to defend themselves, they're setup fodder.
First off, Spikes are vastly overrated. Theorymon it all you want, they've never decided a game against me.

I use Froslass to spread paralysis on my team and it's worked great. All the common switch ins bar Spiritomb don't like paralysis. Alakazam also learns T-wave, so he can cripple a lot of his switch ins (Again, bar Spiritomb) with Paralysis. As long as you have at least 2 ways to handle ground types and 2 people spreading Para, you can run very bulky offense.

This is stupid, but I'm really hard pressed to find a team slot for stallrein. But that goes in rate my team.

I posted a RMT if you guys would be so kind to help where I could fit Uxie, Slowbro or somethin'. And possibly stallrein too.

Both of them have been posted already but not together. Not only is it probably the best defensive combo in UU, it's a great base for paralysis support:

RegiBro!

Registeel and Slowbro cover most everything but Moltres and Houndoom between them and both can twave stuff to make things easier on yourself later.

If your opponent isn't switching, force them to! Use a phazer. This can help with your entry hazards too. One that knows Roar and Thunder Wave is Raikou. It would be a pretty interesting moveset.

First off, Spikes are vastly overrated. Theorymon it all you want, they've never decided a game against me.
If you get all three layers down, it will be easily game changing. How is having all of your opponent's grounded Pokemon lose a fourth of their health every switch-in overrated?

If you get three layers down and keep three layers down, it's game-changing because your opponent is monstrously stupid.
How so? It's not very hard at all to get and keep 3 layers down. First, the opponent has to actually have a spinner, which not everyone has. Second, Froslass can set up 3 layers of spikes against a large number of pokemon as well as spin block, and does very good job against the most common spinners. As long as you have Froslass and keep offensive pressure, the opponent will have a very difficult time spinning.

I have been messing around with a paralysis + hazards themed team today, but it is rather different to the one suggested in the OP. I suppose it is still relevant to the topic though, so here is my current draft:

Rhyperior (F) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 122 HP/220 Atk/168 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
---
Hariyama (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 148 HP/252 Def/12 Spd/98 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Force Palm
- Whirlwind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 192 HP/18 Def/48 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Roost
---
Raikou @ Shed Shell
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/66 Spd/196 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 122 HP/248 Def/140 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Pain Split
- Spikes
- Taunt
---
Drapion (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 30 HP/252 Atk/228 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Cross Poison
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
---

The idea is to get hazards up as quickly as possible then parashuffle teams around with Hariyama and Raikou, with Moltres and Rhyperior providing the damage against slowed down opponents and Scarf Drapion cleaning up some problem situations / Pokemon. It isn't the best team I have ever made, and it took me a good few matches to get the hang of it, but it is really fun to play around with. And this is coming from someone who doesn't normally like strategies that sometimes rely on a bit of luck.

It is a bit Rain weak though as I normally have to rely on a bit of luck with Hariyama and Raikou in order to get past the first phase in relatively good condition. For this reason I am considering replacing Hariyama with a defensive Roar Venusaur to ease things a little, but that would mean losing some of my parashuffling synergy as well as my best Rock resist. I am also considering Drapion over Rhyperior in the lead slot, as I am not quite sure which is better overall, they both have their ups and downs.

Laugh all you want, but Regigigas causes switches and spreads paralysis. He's (very) bulky and has only one weakness, and throws confuse ray into the mix for some good times. I honestly think Gigas is great in UU for spreading paralysis.

Gigas is a really lulzy idea. Nobody is really going to expect a gigas set that isn't trying to shed slow start and smash face. Paralysis also obviously helps gigas get in gear if that's what you're trying to do. I don't know if I'd bother running Confuse Ray, but it is an option.

I run a parafusion Froslass on a hail team with Brightpowder and Substitute. I don't know what the exact chance of being hit by a regular attack is, but I know it's very small, and Fire Blast and Stone Edge rarely hit at all. Substitute forces the opponent to attack, and most phazers are dealt with through blizzard.

The only problem here is limited healing. If I manage to save Frosslass though, Glaceon provides wish support.

Butterfree is pretty good at spreading paralasys with its 97.5% accurate Stun Spore and it can also run a really accurate sleep power for stupid stuff like Hitmonlee who switch in. Unfortunately, its 4x Stealth Rock weak =/. Also, as PK Gaming said, WOW/Discharge Rotom is a very effective status platform (imo the best one in the game).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)