Announcement Spotlight Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Just a small announcement for our writers to keep the 1K character limit in mind. Social media is a very fast-paced method of communication, so no one is willing to read much more than that on Facebook, plus any more than that and you might as well redirect the reader to a full analysis.

For our QCers please try to check if someone is past the limit and trim it down, as QCers know the metagame they're better off to trim the superfluous stuff and leave the important content intact.

To GPers, if you notice the writer passed the limit a bit and you can cut some characters here and there please do so if possible, if it's passed too much the limit let a forum mod know before checking or tell the writer to trim it down themselves with the help of QC.

While we're at it, please take a look at this thread (Intro to Social Media Spotlights) as well if you haven't already. That's all I had to say, thanks for contributing to spotlights, everyone!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, due to the release of Pokémon Home and alongside it 35 previously unreleased Pokémon, we'll be delaying the spotlights for the month of February. Ideally, the spotlights we have right now should be updated to Home-metagame so that we don't lose everything.

Writers (Egor LaBalladeDesCieux Lotus Pokesartoolcay curiosity Memoric maroon Confluxx Jordy), please update your spotlights to the new metagame if necessary, if you're unsure feel free to ask the respective QC team as well as wait a bit for the new metagame to settle. You guys should have a couple of days to familiarize yourselves with the new metagame and some more time to update the spotlight accordingly so no rush. If you don't feel comfortable updating your spotlight for any reason, though, please let me know and I'll ask another user to do so!

Thanks for reading have a nice day.

I'll leave this open in case anyone has a question to ask!

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Gonna catch up with some stuff that haven't been announced as of late:
  • lyd stepped down from his mod position here some time ago but never posted about it, we thank him from his time during this project!
  • On the flipside, Estronic, maroon, and TJ joined as pmods to help fill some vacant spots and give poor Rabia a hand.
  • New formats to spotlights such as Old Gens, NFE, 1v1, ZU, and Nat Dex are also now represented.
  • We've also started our integration with the translations project, where we now offer translations of these in all our represented languages! You can find out how to contribute to those in their respective subforums over here.

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Hello! We've decided that we're going to try something different in regards to how Old Gen spotlights are handled. For every Thursday of each week, we will be dedicated the spotlight for that day to Old Gens (think of it as a #tbt sort of thing) with a fixed rotation deciding what specific Old Gen will be featured on certain days.

This will most likely be the rotation that we will be using:
RBY -> ADV -> BW -> SM -> GSC -> DPP -> XY

Additionally, instead of putting out three Old Gen sets per month, we will instead try to put them out in large batches on a more need by need basis rather than monthly. The rules in regards to how many spotlights you can reserve still apply (which you can read about here), but since this system most likely won't be as consistent as the usual monthly sets, the permission for you to write an Old Gen spotlights will be based on the time since your last spotlights. This new plan could be a little bit confusing at first, since there's still a little ironing out to do, so if any writers interested in writing Old Gen spotlights or any Old Gen representatives who would like to provide sets have any questions, feel free to send me a DM on Discord (Astra#7825) and I will try to get back to you ASAP.

Thank you very much for your cooperation, and let's hope this plan goes smoothly!

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Because it hasn't been clear to many of our writers and GPers, the 1000 character limit does not count spaces. If something is over the limit with spaces but under the limit without, then it's fine. I updated the introduction thread with a mention of this.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I know many users post their thread as soon as their reservation gets approved, but just in case, we would like for writers to make their thread at most 48 hours after it has been approved. This is to help us keep track of every spotlight more easily and get them scheduled as fast as possible. If you don't post your thread in that time frame, we will assumed you've lost interest and reassign it. We will definitely remind you when the time frame is closing in, and we will definitely be flexible if you're unable to due to certain circumstances, to which we will give you more time.

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
Gonna be catching up on some things that's been going on from the beginning of the year:
  • They've been already helping out for a while now, but I'd like to formally announce that Kris, Ununhexium, Alpha, and Blitz have joined the team to help out with the project.
  • We've started to be a bit more inclusive in terms of what metagames we'd like to see sets from, but they'll be much less common than the usual bunch of metagames we pull sets from.
Additionally, here are just some housekeeping rules that have always been implied that we'd like to make explicit:
  • This hasn't been too much of a problem as of late, but for those that we ask sets from, please make sure that the sets you're providing are not identical or similar to another set that has been posted in the past, even if the set was for a different metagame. Typically, you should wait about three months before proposing a set that's similar to a previous one; however, if it's the same Pokemon but a wildly different set (i.e. a bulky setup sweeper vs. a suicide lead), we'll be much more flexible.
  • This one is kind of obvious, but just so it's out there, please don't reserve sets for metagames you lack knowledge in. This section of C&C is much more fast-paced considering the nature of social media and us having to schedule them, so having to reject and reassign spotlights can be a hassle leading up to the date it's supposed to be published, and the best way to help us avoid that is by keeping yourself to doing sets from metagames you're comfortable and confident in.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Two things:
  1. deetah and Eisenherz have joined the spotlights team as project mods! Make sure to congratulate them!
  2. For now, on months where we have normal tier changes (July 2021 for example), we will only be providing spotlights for one Pokemon per each metagame affected by usage shifts (currently UU, RU, NU, PU, ZU, and Doubles UU). This allows us to a) spotlight more non-usage-based metagames (BSS, VGC, Doubles OU, AG, National Dex, etc.) on those months, and b) cause ourselves less stress when dealing with the residual effects of tier shifts (suspect tests, quickbans, overall metagame instability, etc.). If you have questions about this, feel free to reach out to myself, Blitz Ununhexium, deetah, or Eisenherz, and we will get an answer as soon as we can.

Astra

talk to me nice
Hey all, this kind of already has happened, but it was never formerly announced. I've decided to step down from my position from this project due to other responsibilities on this site, as well as responsibilities in real life (freshmen year of college coming up). Thank you all for helping me with this project for nearly a year, and I hope that help continues with the current staff when I'm gone.

Alpha

Banned deucer.
Hello fellow spotlights contributors!
The staff team has discussed this for a bit, and starting next month (June 2022), we're going to set a deadline of 10 days to provide sets so (hopefully) we won't have any delay on spotlights and translations.

This means that every tier will have 10 days to provide sets--we will approach you starting mid month asking for them--so there's enough time to brainstorm sets and avoid overlap with other tiers.
Failing to provide sets within that timespan will result in the tier not being showcased during the month, and we'll give the chance to other formats.

Thanks for your hard work fellas :boi:

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
We are kicking off spotlights again! We will be following a limited schedule of only doing spotlights on weekends until every official tier is out of beta, and then we will be back in business fully! Sets are coming SOON!

Alpha

Banned deucer.
The Social Media Spotlight team will be taking a break indefinitely until HOME does (actually) release! This is to prevent any new spotlights from becoming outdated or irrelevant too quickly. Thanks for understanding! See you (hopefully) soon!

Alpha

Banned deucer.
With the first DLC of the generation approaching, the Social Media Spotlight team will take a break starting on September 10th. We will be back in business starting October to give metas the time to settle down a little bit. Once again, thanks everyone for helping us:psyglad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)