Metagame SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS - Gen 8 Metagame Speculation

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i mean broke balances broke so we might actually not be seeing anything quick banned before the metagame gets a chance to develop

so after reaching the top 10 and then some as purple rain lele this is the best the meta has ever been at least tell the broken mons like incineroar get released "early 2020" i might actually come back and start playing this game again.

everything feels super balanced and team building is diverse again instead of every team having a lando an broken incinroar on it (which by the way now has parting shot like it wasnt bad enough) super boring. there is no one mon you're forced to build your team around.

the skill gap of this game has gotten a lot bigger with maxing of any pokemon at any time, you got to use it at the right time and time it out, no longer are teams predictable with megas and obvious zmoves. Every mon is now viable (except hail teams).

fighting types are back with the dexit of tapus, ghost mons are a thing again, trick room is still good.

biggest surprise is the raise of ttar teams but at least now we can use fighting mons again. I thought we would be getting chazrzard spam, but haven't even seen one on ladder.

weather wars are back with the max moves, and we still got terrain.

I originally wanted to post it in SwSh DOU stage 0 thread, but I decided to post I here instead as it would've fit the speculation theme on here better. Anyway, I will be covering Pokemon that requires Pokemon Home to be transferred or have their Hidden Ability unavailable outside of events.

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 28 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Wood Hammer/ Drum Beating
- Knock Off/ High Horsepower
- U-turn

who even needs tapu bulu anymore lol. Anyway, with its already great utility options in Fake Out, Knock Off, and U-turn, Rillaboom is bond to be a fantastic Pokemon once its Grassy Surge is released. This spread allows Rillaboom to outspeed Pelipper and OHKO it with Wood Hammer. (EDIT: They nerfed Grassy Terrain, it doesn't always OHKO it anymore) High Horsepower can be used over Knock Off to heavily dent Fire-types such as Incineroar. With its higher speed than the snapped Bulu, we could see a Choice Scarf set in the future.

Cinderace @ Life Orb/ Choice Band
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Iron Head/ Gunk Shot
- Taunt/ Sucker Punch/ HIGH JUMP KICK
- Protect/ U-turn

Cinderace might be a decent fast offensive option with its Libero changing its type to match its attack. While Pyro Ball doesn't have perfect accuracy, not having recoil like Flare Blitz is nice. Iron Head or Gunk Shot can be used to dispatch Fairy-types. Cinderace can be a good taunt user thanks to its high speed and Sucker Punch could be useful when the opponent gets the speed advantage. High Jump Kick is for OHKO Incineroar. U-turn is useful for Band as it enables Cinderace to pivot if it can't find any good targets to hit, but its Stealth Rock weak nature might come into play later if players want to dispatch Incineroar faster with it.

unfortunately it seems like intelleon has been taken out by a sniper, moving on to incineorar then

:Incineroar:
Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Atk/ 36 Def / 116 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off/ Close Combat
- Parting Shot

After the news of Incineroar getting Parting Shot breaks in, we initially thought it could be banworthy in Gen 8. But upon further inspection, its best item, 50% pinch berries were nerfed and more stuff that blocks Fake Out or Intimidate are steadily available, while still dangerous, it's not as dangerous as I thought. As everyone has seen Incineroar in action before, I shall be focusing on its new tools instead. Parting Shot is better as it lowers offensive stats and bypasses Substitute. As for Close Combat, it beats itself up. Given that it still takes hits relatively well that's not from a Water-type, we will see how Gen 8 DOU will progress to adapt it.

PS. In Gen 8, egg moves can be passed on to a parent, therefore it is possible to have an Incineroar with Parting Shot and Knock Off despite unable to learn it in SwSh.

:Kyurem:
Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power/ Glaciate
- Protect

The bad news is Kyurem Black might get banned, so no more Fusion Bolt or Teravolt. The good news is Kyurem gets Freeze-Dry to beat Water-type. However, it's not all bright and sunny for Kyurem, as Swift Swim users such as Barraskewda and Dreadnaw packs super-effective coverage for it. Additionally, Keldeo and Terrakion will see the rise in usage now that there's less dominating Fairy-type in their way, hurting its viability even more.

:Keldeo:
Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Muddy Water
- Secret Sword
- Taunt/ Hydro Pump
- Protect

After being ignored entirely in Generation 7, Keldeo reprisals in style with it gaining Muddy Water as a spread move. While its movepool is still limited, there's no Fairy-type that outspeed it (there's ribombee but who uses that in doubles) or resists both its STAB. Not much else to add, moving on.

:Melmetal:
Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 156 HP/ 108 Atk/ 20 Def/ 220 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower/ Thunder Punch
- Substitute
- Protect

Melmetal will be Fairy-type's worst nightmare with its Double Iron Bash, which also has the ability to break Substitute and Focus Sash. I've experimented with Leftovers Sub Copperajah before, so that shouldn't be any different on Melmetal considering that it's a better version of Copperajah. Thunder Punch OHKO Gyarados even at -1. Rain and Fake Out support are recommended for Melmetal.

:Venusaur:
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball/ Leaf Storm/ Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Weather Ball/ Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Earth Power is so good. Obviously, Venusuar is best paired with Fire-type Dynamax users such as Cinderace as Max Flare sets up harsh sunlight for Venusaur to take full advantage of Chlorophyll.

:marshadow:

Marshadow would have appreciated the mechanic of Dynamax way too much with Spectral Thief stealing stats boosts. Don't free Marshadow.

Last edited:
I'm confused. I thought since those mons are not in the galar dex they are not being put in for the new gen on ps?
The SwSh datamine has shown these Pokemon to be in the game, I did state that it's about unreleased and I assume they will be released at a later date, which is why I put a spoiler folder.

I also put an additional note to a new mechanic for Incineroar in case anyone's wondering why it has both Parting Shot and Knock Off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)