Hobbies Splatoon 3 Discussion Thread

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Omg I wish I knew this thread existed earlier
Somehow Splatoon 3 is my most played game ever at around 350+ hours since last year. Actually that sounds like a waste of time now, but i guess its a fun waste of time.
  • What are your thoughts on the current state of the game?
Might just be because I'm not as into it as I was a year ago, but i don't really know how the game is going. Just finding it kind of fun still
  • Favorite weapon? Least favorite weapon?
Picking the game back up, I'm kind of stuck. My best weapon is the nautilus by far. Once got 30 something splats while only being splat twice in a match. That was pretty cool
  • Are you enjoying the new customization options?
I have 1.5 million coins saved up but I don't want to spend them because I'm a hoarder... no new customs
  • Have you tried Tabletop Turf War yet? What are your thoughts?
boo, gave up on it a while ago. Might pick it back up on my break though

Otherwise, I did get into Splatoon from an art perspective. This one's my most nostalgic:
1694434449708.png

This was me and Kolohe in the September which the game released in. Even though its not perfect, it reminds me of a lot of fun experiences I've had with Splatoon 3. Definitely putting it in my personal top 5 games :)

I've played Splatoon since 1 (yes, I own a Wii U) and picked up Splatoon 3 and have had it for about a week now. Here are my thoughts for a game that is still new to me:
  • Tentatek Splattershot is probably the most consistent weapon I've touched so far. I used it in the Splatfest and I did really well with it. Kit is nice and the gun is solid.
  • I've heard really good things about the Carbon Deco from Frito but I haven't had the opportunity to play with it. Considering I'd already been playing a good amount with the regular Carbon I'm excited to actually play with it. The consistent burst damage is really appetizing.
  • I wish there was another Squiffer kit, that was my favorite weapon in 2. The current one is fine but I'd like to see more variants -- we had 3 in Spla2n!
  • Abilities will never not be an enigma to me, though I really like that clothes keep giving you chunks even after you max out their slots.
  • Zipcaster is a weird special. I still haven't gotten much value out of it, both because I can't really control it and because I feel like I just zip into an enemy base, ink a small amount of their base, and then jump back. Often I just feel like I'm not doing anything with it.
  • I haven't used Crab Tank much but I don't really like it. It feels like a combination of too slow even when rolling, not enough ink/damage output, and lack of progress making when I do use it. Maybe I'm too used to the Baller from 2 or I need more time with it.
  • KW 5.1 is way cooler than the original. Now you actually have to dodge the moving beams instead of it being basically just crowd control.
  • Reefslider is cool but I need more time with it.
  • Tacticooler is actually really helpful.
Anyway, hopping in right before the Splatfest was definitely great for my enjoyment of the game. I also want to thank Sulo for getting me back into this game that I had forgotten to enjoy for the past few years. If you want to play some games, just hmu on the weekends!

I wish there was another Squiffer kit, that was my favorite weapon in 2. The current one is fine but I'd like to see more variants -- we had 3 in Spla2n!
Should be coming next season, kits are notoriously taking a while with S3.
Abilities will never not be an enigma to me, though I really like that clothes keep giving you chunks even after you max out their slots.
They're pretty fun to optimize, you can use this website to see other player's builds and how to optimize it. It also has stats for what your gear does:
Build Analyzer | sendou.ink
This site also has a way to check builds uploaded by users for any weapon, so if you need ideas check it out.

1705455122910.png

Zipcaster is a weird special. I still haven't gotten much value out of it, both because I can't really control it and because I feel like I just zip into an enemy base, ink a small amount of their base, and then jump back. Often I just feel like I'm not doing anything with it.
Zipcaster is probably the hardest special to use, and also not very good (though this is debated). But the best way to get use from it is to distract enemies using it (going behind a target and forcing them to look at you), or making a flank similarly. Keep in mind zipping directly onto a player damages or kills them depending on how dead-on it is. This can also get you killed though.
I haven't used Crab Tank much but I don't really like it. It feels like a combination of too slow even when rolling, not enough ink/damage output, and lack of progress making when I do use it. Maybe I'm too used to the Baller from 2 or I need more time with it.
Crab Tank is meant to be a slayer. If you have played Explosher, the R button is basically that but slightly weaker- hitting that shot dead-on does 90 damage, which means any follow up kills. Compare Crab Tank more with an "aggressive Stingray" than as a Baller, because its low mobility is its weakpoint rather than Baller being good at saving you with mobility.
Reefslider is cool but I need more time with it.
I am sorry to report that Reefslider bottom 3 specials in the game, and that did not change when Splashdown of all things came back, and was buffed and still better.
Tacticooler is actually really helpful.
It's very broken, many are calling for its nerf right now; its ability to make it way easier to ignore being punished through misplays makes it practically mandatory in competitive. SoloQ/casual not as much, but Tacticooler is also just fun haha.

Always glad to see people get into or get back into Splatoon, hope my :nerd:ing isn't a bad thing. Just wanted to give some pointers, and help out!

And I'll be here if you wanna play, have questions, anything; have fun!

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Hey, been a bit since I've posted my thoughts on the game. Gonna unload all of that here.
  • Specials
    • Special weapon balance is kinda just okay rn; there's a lot of weaker stuff atm and the one true thing I believe to be broken is Tacticooler. There's a lot that I would love to see get buffed in one way or another though; Reefslider is arguably one of the worst specials in the game and Ultra Stamp and Wave Breaker aren't far behind. A lot of these specials just don't have the tools to compete with top meta picks / are too riddled with internal issues that make them pretty mediocre (e.g. Ultra Stamp is a flop into any shooter / splatling and is generally kinda buggy, Wave Breaker hates Stamper's prevalence rn and generally doesn't provide much value in cases where weapons that have it would prefer anything else). Tacticooler is kinda centralizing the meta but it isn't something I'd want nerfed into the ground. I just don't think it should blindly reward risky ass plays for essentially no consequence, especially on aggressive weapons like non-V Tri-Slosher and VStamper. Everything else is fine.
  • Main weapons
    • Something has got to be done about VSnipewriter. It's been a top-tier cooler pick for a while and kinda just dominates because of how overtuned cooler is with slayers + the supporting factors in the main and sub being super beneficial towards what it wants to do (lay back, paint, farm cooler, repeat and be lame). I've toyed with Explosher and H-3D a lot as of late and really really wish they were better backlines / supports; I even think VH-3 could be a cool Tacticooler pick but the main weapon is just too slow in a meta like this. Don't have many thoughts on much else.
...and that's it! I'm enjoying the game a lot right now so I didn't really have much to comment on irt personal experiences you guys should definitely play Sorella Brella though.

They're pretty fun to optimize, you can use this website to see other player's builds and how to optimize it. It also has stats for what your gear does:
Build Analyzer | sendou.ink
This site also has a way to check builds uploaded by users for any weapon, so if you need ideas check it out.
I've seen this site before (Frito showed it to me), I've perused the builds but I haven't committed to try and replicate them until I get more ability chunks.

I did see this the other day, lol
1705462289830.png

There's a lot that I would love to see get buffed in one way or another though; Reefslider is arguably one of the worst specials in the game and Ultra Stamp and Wave Breaker aren't far behind.
The problem with buffing Reefslider is that you are buffing Reefslider, a panic special that is invulnerable after a short amount of time and then makes a big explosion. Any time Reefslider has been buffed and caused people to try it out again, I've only seen negative results; people complaining about how it's a stupid special, how it's unfun to fight, etc.

There is also the impact of giving things like Dark Tetras an actual special that actually does thing(+ a bomb!), and I genuinely don't think we are ready for that world.

Ultra Stamp is a midtier special. While it isn't a weapon that immediately changes the state of the game, it has a 100-0 matchup against weapons that are not shooters or splatlings. Even something relatively fast for an AOE weapon such as Tri Slosher basically always loses to it due to its protection (which while people say does not exist, it absolutely does, shooters/splatlings can just keep shooting until the part where you can hurt it, and they are very fast). The throw also is essentially 1 single Trizooka shot, which gives it a lot of flexibility. The only reason it's not good is that Shooters and Splatlings are, and for the foreseeable future, 2+ on every single comp. But even then, a good Stamp can get triples, and it's not even THAT hard.

Even if you still think Ultra Stamp is terrible, where exactly do you go with buffing it from here? It already kills anyone that is even remotely close to the stamping, it still kills on throw, it paints a lot, it does indeed have protection. If you make it have more protection then Stamp just becomes extremely obnoxious to fight, as it actually has a 100-0 matchup against every single weapon in the game, which I don't think is a good thing.

Wave Breaker is just kinda owned by Splatanas and Tacticooler meta tbh. Been playing Stamper and I can just click ZR twice and it literally just murders it, and that just deletes the special, so that's a problem. The waves themselves were meaningful when things like Crab Tank were spammed + the general lower pace, where one or two kills mattered way more. In Tacticooler meta, Wave Breaker maybe chipping a person or two/making them vulnerable when jumping matters less when those kills matter less. In a slower meta, its usefulness in teamfights would matter more despite not directly getting kills, but with Tacticooler around there is no good reason to use it.

Something has got to be done about VSnipewriter. It's been a top-tier cooler pick for a while and kinda just dominates because of how overtuned cooler is with slayers + the supporting factors in the main and sub being super beneficial towards what it wants to do (lay back, paint, farm cooler, repeat and be lame)
I definitely agree with this. One thing I've noticed is that people also underrated how good it is at fighting. Pencil isn't just a Cooler spambot, it's also a weapon that has high damage and 5 shots to kill you. I've seen a lot of skilled frontliner players within range still trade or even just die because a good Pencil can just spam the shot with fine aim, and it's hard to get the jump on it as a result. Bamboozler with way more range and less mobility, yippee.

Tacticooler is kinda centralizing the meta but it isn't something I'd want nerfed into the ground. I just don't think it should blindly reward risky ass plays for essentially no consequence,
One thing to note also about Tacticooler is how it works for all weapons, too. That Splattershot doesn't have to care that they are close to their Special and shouldn't feed, because that 20% chance of getting a triple is actually pretty good odds when you can respawn and jump back to mid with Trizooka still charged within like. 5 seconds.

I want Tacticooler to only reduce time to respawn, and only reduce Special lost. Basically, just have the special give QR and Special Saver AP that stacks with gear builds. Have the QR activate even if you get kills, and boom, I think it'd be way easier to deal with. Special economy isn't insane where you just die and you still have your special on defense immediately, and frontlining is more about making intelligent plays than simply running in like You're Him trying to get picks because it doesn't really matter if you die.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I had no idea this game had its own thread lmao, practically is like the only thing I've been playing for the past year or so. Take everything I say here with a grain of salt. I played Splatoon 1 a lot when I was younger but completely skipped out on Splatoon 2 so this game is my first time with the series where I'm not playing the 52 Gal with my pants around my head running up right next to people carelessly to kill them
  • I haven't used Crab Tank much but I don't really like it. It feels like a combination of too slow even when rolling, not enough ink/damage output, and lack of progress making when I do use it. Maybe I'm too used to the Baller from 2 or I need more time with it.
Crab Tank has taken me a bit of time to pick up and I really didn't like it at first either because I was putting most of my time into weapons that didn't have it. Thing definitely has a bit more of a learning curve to it than most other specials and when you get past that it feels like so much opens up with how you can choose to use it. If you want to ease into it then a simpler way to get use out of it is just to place it somewhere very open and fire at a bunch of space you don't control in order to make the opponents move away. Don't know what weapon you're using with it but if you're using the Splash-o-Matic or Neo Splatana Stamper then weakening distant opponents with a Burst Bomb or charge slash before you use it also helps. Otherwise it's just a matter of finding as many good spots on each map as possible to place it and making sure you aren't using it when the opposing team has a Trizooka, Zipcaster, or something similar ready.

Ultra Stamp is a midtier special. While it isn't a weapon that immediately changes the state of the game, it has a 100-0 matchup against weapons that are not shooters or splatlings. Even something relatively fast for an AOE weapon such as Tri Slosher basically always loses to it due to its protection (which while people say does not exist, it absolutely does, shooters/splatlings can just keep shooting until the part where you can hurt it, and they are very fast). The throw also is essentially 1 single Trizooka shot, which gives it a lot of flexibility. The only reason it's not good is that Shooters and Splatlings are, and for the foreseeable future, 2+ on every single comp. But even then, a good Stamp can get triples, and it's not even THAT hard.

Even if you still think Ultra Stamp is terrible, where exactly do you go with buffing it from here? It already kills anyone that is even remotely close to the stamping, it still kills on throw, it paints a lot, it does indeed have protection. If you make it have more protection then Stamp just becomes extremely obnoxious to fight, as it actually has a 100-0 matchup against every single weapon in the game, which I don't think is a good thing.
It's funny because through my time with this game I've been playing only really mobile weapons that can just run from it, literal only exception being Ballpoint. I talked to a Slosher / Machine player who said they struggled with Ultra Stamp and never really got why that could be until this season when I've been grinding the Stampers and understood completely LOL. Totally agree that it'd be a problem if it was just given full protection and nothing else. Chargers would still exist to mess with it but I don't know if charger players would be any worse at dealing with it at anything below high level, and at low level it's just going to be a complete nightmare for everything to face. If you were to ask me the answer probably is to give it protection and then nerf it in some other way. At minimum the hitbox buff should be reverted but you would also need to make it slower, like maybe giving it more startup or reducing the rush mode's movement speed or something like that.

@ Special balance as a whole - I don't know if it's a hot take to say this but I really like where things are right now. My one big complaint is with Trizooka. I know it's gotten worse since the nerf but it's still not fun to play against at all. It's already hard enough to concentrate on everything else going on in the game, and it's annoying when the shooter you see minding his own business at a distance from you pops an unreactable instakill that has giant range. This is coming from someone whos second most used weapon is the Ttek and has since become a Vshot main just because it's easily the better kit now - this special REALLY needs adjustments.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with Tacticooler being the single best special in the game even if I think it probably would be best to give it a Special Saver nerf. It doesn't feel like there are any truly garbage specials outside of the three that Sulo mentioned, and for practically every special outside of those there is at minimum one weapon you'll see that runs that special at a high level. I think literally the only exception is Tenta Missiles actually which I don't think anyone would mind to see banished from the meta. No doubt that CDS for example would be better if it didn't have Super Chump but it just goes to show we're in a state where what special you have isn't the only determining factor in whether or not your weapon is usable, which is pretty cool to me.

@ Special balance as a whole - I don't know if it's a hot take to say this but I really like where things are right now. My one big complaint is with Trizooka. I know it's gotten worse since the nerf but it's still not fun to play against at all. It's already hard enough to concentrate on everything else going on in the game, and it's annoying when the shooter you see minding his own business at a distance from you pops an unreactable instakill that has giant range. This is coming from someone whos second most used weapon is the Ttek and has since become a Vshot main just because it's easily the better kit now - this special REALLY needs adjustments.
My overall take is that the game has taken a surprising (negative) turn to where panic specials seem really really good. In Splatoon 2, there was obviously some really broken support specials that made things a lot less fun. But outside of that, IMO a lot of the specials were fun and that you couldn't just pop anywhere as a panic. Even Stingray, Scourge of Splatoon 2, couldn't be popped on the frontline lest you be murderized within seconds.

It feels like specials like Trizooka, Kraken Royale, Triple Splashdown, Reefslider, and Ink Vac all are viable to just pop if you think you're going to die. Especially if you have cooler.

While Triple Splashdown and Reefslider are mid and bad respectively, they're still on some important kits and Dread Wringer in particular is on the rise as people remember that it has insane paint for Zones. A Reefslider still is viable on Zones and can generally on areas of the map such as Mako Mart stacks push players off, and can be harder to punish, especially with the height difference making aiming around the shark a bit harder. Triple Splashdown I feel is inconsistent to get value out of, but with it being three hitboxes now it makes little sense not to just clicki it when in danger. While Enperries and Custom Blaster are the only weapons with it and they have good competition in their other kits, I'm sure putting it on something like Tetra Dualies as a third kit would be pretty solid.

Ink Vac is a special that I feel is a bit underrated and unless the enemy team has a Splatana/melee weapon, it can generally just Vac when a teammate is nearby and stall an area for a few seconds at short notice. The biggest issue there being that you are stuck, but I think it's still definitely viable as a panic special pop on maps like Undertow RM.

1705505465323.png

The only flank around this area takes a long time and slowing movement to get to the grate makes this a pretty good example of what I mean.

Trizooka feels easy to just press even when enemies are close by, though aim can be a bit wonky because of the hitbox. When I play Splattershot in team play, it feels like it's not uncommon for my Trizooka to be met with another Trizooka, or vice versa, as it's one of the best ways to deal with it. In general it's just kind of frustrating and it's one of the reasons why I see many still wanting Tacticooler to be busted; how else do you keep the game pacing when Trizooka + decent aim just wipes out a part of the map? It is also map dependent to be fair, with some being harder than others. Museum is a map where I feel like Trizooka has trouble due to all the areas having a wide middle piece, even in the spawns with spinner. But maps like Shipshape, nah that's really dumb.

I think this is becoming a problem where Special design has kind of gone much lower throughout the seasons, especially with the updates; not even necessarily related to panic pops. I don't think anyone can really argue that any of the four post-launch specials are necessarily good additions to the game.

-Chumps are just way worse Missiles. Some find it fun, but I think that's only because they are not good enough to be controversial + the throw distance is not that far. This is more neutral, but it also makes a lot of kits way worse because it exists.

-Kraken Royale is even more annoying than Baller was for Clam Blitz cheese, which is still seen in top level and low level play alike. While it doesn't always work, the buff to its speed did not make it any worse at this. I do not feel that an invincible special is healthy for the game, and I do not believe the niches Kraken has found itself are healthy either.

-Splattercolor Screen has created probably the strongest controversy of any new Splatoon special due to accessibility issues. Beyond that, it's a pretty nothingburger of a Special that mostly just serves to annoy, and make it slightly easier to push (when it doesn't make it harder). Foil Squeezer without a bomb would be working at McDonalds, and in my opinion, the original kit is far superior anyways. I don't think this special is well designed even without the accessibility issues, its job is to literally just be annoying; as a "smokescreen", I feel that Booyah Bomb and Triple Inkstrike are far superior. Even if their duration is shorter, they block bombs for any of your allies rushing through them, and because they can kill people they actually push enemies back to where your teammate can ambush them.

-Triple Splashdown is a weapon I actually kinda find fun to play with, but at the end of the day it is just a buffed Splashdown. AKA just a panic special that takes almost no skill to use. While Triple Splashdown has disjoints unlike the original (the fists can be smartly moved behind or on top of objects/terrain), I feel that it still does not take any skill to use and is just less punishable. Fun for nostalgia + disjoints, still an L move. This is coming from "triple splashdown enjoyer", for the record:
1705506243755.png

I feel that the quality of the specials has gone down considerably since launch. From what I'd give an 8/10 at launch, by several points the best special design in the series, I feel it's now more at a 6.5 or so. Still considerably above (I'd give S1 and S2 a 3/10 and 4.5/10 respectively), but a point and a half lower.

And it matters in my opinion a lot that we are getting so many specials that feel really free to just pop when in danger, because it means that the core gameplay loop gets a bit less fun. To be blunt, it just feels like some of these specials are just dishonest, and when I win against them it can still make for pretty annoying matches in my opinion.

Sorry that this was a bit messy, just had a lot to say oops.

note: Also I'ma try and get this thread more attention because Splatoon has needed a good thread to talk about the game since yesterday :)

Last edited:
I'm definitely not fond of trizooka being an instant pop, it's always frustrating to be in a neutral position against an opopnent and then they pop trizooka and oops you're dead. It's particularly frustrating whenever I'mtrying to play a longer range weapon that are naturally going to spend a lot longer standing exposed so they can use their main weapon to deny space to the enemy.

Cooler definitely needs something done to it. Having a pretty much 100% pick rate for so long is never going to be healthy. Lots of people bring up reducing the effects of abilties, but I also feel like it's worth mentioning the duration as something. Cooler is the only special in the series that can be maintained indefinitely, and has its effects as a constant throughout the game. It fundamentally breaks the idea of specials as temporary bursts of power to shift the tempo of the match. I feel like so long as cooler can be passive, it's going to be very difficult for the special to be balanced.

Those are the only two that really come to mind as needing nerfs right now.

As for other specials I still feel ultra stamp needs some attention as it really doesn't feel healthy right now. It's matchups are extremely polarizing right now where you either can just cheese the protection and don't care about stamp, or you get absolutely roflestomped by stamp. It doesn't feel fun to fight on either side. I'd want to see full frontal protection just so the special isn't as insanely polarizing, but then given it some nerfs so it can't be abused. Toning back or removing the radius and turn speed radius buffs it got would be appropriate in my book.

I feel like zipcaster could also benefit from having some innate Quick respawn during the special. Zipcaster is extremely high risk to use, so it feels like having some insurance in case you get splatted during your special would be nice and make the special more consistent. I've loved zipcaster since the start of the game, but I have to admit it's often struggled because of how risky it is.

As for main weapons

I'd like to see gloogas get some additional paint exclusively in standing fire. Glooga could use some buffs, but I think the devs need to be careful, because it would be very easy for the devs to overbuff the weapon, especially given that it has kgal kit. Buffing the standing fire paint should keep the buff constrained while also giving standing fire more of a purpose on gloogas.

Finally I'd want dapples to either get a third dodge roll or more reefslider improvements. If dapples is going to continually get stuck with some of the worst kits in the series, it needs to be a better main to be able to make up for it. It's currently a perfectly fine main weapon, but it's not good enough to make up for how bad it's kits are.

I'm definitely not fond of trizooka being an instant pop, it's always frustrating to be in a neutral position against an opopnent and then they pop trizooka and oops you're dead. It's particularly frustrating whenever I'mtrying to play a longer range weapon that are naturally going to spend a lot longer standing exposed so they can use their main weapon to deny space to the enemy.
When I played with the Ttek, I felt the opposite way; Trizooka helped me remove a sniper that was on the glass box on MakoMart (I think?) that was very difficult to hit. I suppose the counterplay to a strategy becomes very frustrating to the user whose strategies are getting countered.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So… I got Splatoon 3 at release but then got distracted by irl stuff initially through my playthrough - I’m finishing up the campaign now and planning to get fully into it, I’m looking for some weapon reccomendations for when I get online.

Only played Splatoon 2 - only really ever played Turf War after the story (not even Salmon Rush) originally mained Ink Brush (Splat Bomb/Splashdown) then Sploosh-o-matic (Curling Bomb/Splashdown). Will probably at least try to do other modes this time round.

So yeah I like maneuverability and am bad at aiming and I was devestated Splashdown isn’t a thing anymore (may have contributed to me stopping playing initially…?) Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)