Tournaments SPL XIV SS Discussion Thread

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Hello, everyone! A new SPL season has just started, the first with SS as an old gen, and as always we’re making a discussion thread so anyone can tune in and talk about how they think the tier will look like through the tournament, what new techs might pop up, matches you’re excited for / personal highlights, and overall just sharing your thoughts about this year’s tournament! I will be keeping this thread updated with replays, scheduled times as per the scheduling sheet, and standings for each player and team.

Starting players and potential substitutes

Alpha Ruiners: Eternal Spirit, xavgb, CTC

Circus Maximus Tigers: Finchinator, TPP, Fc

Congregation of the Classiest: Aberforth, Luthier, MichaelderBeste2, suapah

Cryonicles: clean, Lusa, ima, TJ

Dragonspiral Tyrants: Chaitanya, Leo, Will of Fire

Ever Grande BIGS: HSA, Empo, Shafofficiel, devin

Indie Scooters: London Beats, hyogafodex, Gefährlicher Random

Stark Sharks: SoulWind, mind gaming, robjr, TDNT, Ayaka

Team Raiders: Gtcha, Ash KetchumGamer, FALSE, Kebab mlml

Wi-Fi Wolfpack: Luigi, talah, lax

:entei:
Eternal Spirit 1-1
Overall: 1-1

:raikou:
Finchinator 1-1

:gardevoir-mega:
Aberforth 0-2
suapah 0-0
Overall: 0-2

:suicune:
clean 1-1

:tyrantrum:
Chaitanya 1-1

:snorlax:
HSA 1-1

:alakazam-mega:
London Beats 0-2
Yelodash 0-0
Overall: 0-2

:garchomp:
SoulWind 1-1

:marowak-alola:
Gtcha 2-0
Overall: 2-0

:lycanroc:
Luigi 2-0
Overall: 2-0

Last edited:

Ren-chon

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Replays and schedules (GMT -5)

[SCO] London Beats vs Eternal Spirit [RUI]
[TIG] Finchinator vs HSA [BIG]
[TYR] Chaitanya vs Luigi [WOL]
[SHA] SoulWind vs Aberforth [CLA]
[RAI] Gtcha vs clean [CRY]

[WOL] Luigi vs SoulWind [SHA]
[BIG] HSA vs Gtcha [RAI]
[RUI] Eternal Spirit vs Chaitanya [TYR]
[CRY] clean vs London Beats [SCO]
[CLA] Aberforth vs Finchinator [TIG]

[WOL] Luigi vs SoulWind [SHA]
[BIG] HSA vs Gtcha [RAI]
[RUI] Eternal Spirit vs Chaitanya [TYR]
[CRY] clean vs London Beats [SCO]
[CLA] Aberforth vs Finchinator [TIG]

[SCO] Yelodash vs HSA [BIG] - TBD
[RAI] Gtcha vs suapah [CLA] - TBD
[RUI] Eternal Spirit vs clean [CRY] - TBD
[TIG] Finchinator vs Luigi [WOL] - TBD
[TYR] Chaitanya vs SoulWind [SHA] - TBD

[SCO] Yelodash vs HSA [BIG]
[RAI] Gtcha vs suapah [CLA]
[RUI] Eternal Spirit vs clean [CRY]
[TIG] Finchinator vs Luigi [WOL]
[TYR] Chaitanya vs SoulWind [SHA]

Last edited:

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
I'm pretty invested in SS rn, even though its pretty dead. Gonna be an interesting sz there's some cool players in this pool and lots of flexibility across all teams.

Predictions:
[TIG] Finchinator
vs HSA [BIG]

This will certainly be interesting

Chaitanya vs Luigi has already happened and there is no point me predicting.

Ren-chon

And that concludes week 1 of SPL XIV! Lots of exciting games happened, with many more to come this week including the always exciting (for maybe gameplay unrelated reasons) Luigi VS SoulWind match-up! Below are the week 2 games, and you can always check out the second post on this thread for schedulings and replays.

:lycanroc: Luigi vs SoulWind :garchomp:
:snorlax: HSA vs Gtcha :marowak-alola:
:entei: Eternal Spirit vs Chaitanya :tyrantrum:
:suicune: clean vs London Beats :alakazam-mega:
:gardevoir-mega: Aberforth vs Finchinator :raikou:

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
:lycanroc: Luigi vs SoulWind :garchomp:
:snorlax: HSA vs Gtcha :marowak-alola:
:entei: Eternal Spirit vs Chaitanya :tyrantrum:
:suicune: clean vs London Beats :alakazam-mega:
:gardevoir-mega: Aberforth vs Finchinator :raikou:

Little late to this, but I was decently surprised to see two people bring not only stall, but also Ox the Fox's very publicly available stall team week 1. I know I'm crossing my fingers this week that we get to see a lot more new, original teams with cool new ideas. I get that "gen eight is dead yada yada, why would I build a new team?" but I do still think that there's a lot more cool gen eight teams to be built esp with a bunch of new ideas and mons that were overlooked in the past, (see skarm, sciz, spike stacking, etc) and I'd really like to see this meta game develop further because I don't think that every option was fully explored. idk maybe this is just the ramblings of someone who doesn't enjoy gen 9, but I just wanna see gen eight flourish even after the next game is out.

My week 2 predictions:
Luigi vs. Soulwind
HSA vs. Gtcha
Eternal Spirit
vs Chaitanya
Clean vs London Beats
Aberforth vs Finchinator

Holy shit. Week 2 had some of the best SS battles I think I've ever seen. Every team was super cool or had something new and exciting to it that just made this week super good. Some highlights for me was the rest garchomp on Aberforth's team (as well as bringing a Suicune?!!!??), 2 swords dance landos, 2 healing wish Clefs, and of course Luigi's painsplit Nihilego--which was one of the coolest ways I've ever seen a blissey go down. Definitely did not disappoint and I look forward to Week 3's matches!

My week 3 predictions:

Yelodash vs HSA
Gtcha
vs suapah
Eternal Spirit vs clean
Finchinator vs Luigi
Chaitanya
vs SoulWind

Lot of matches here I'm super pumped about, namely seeing how good Yelo and Suapah do, as they're both super competent players, but maybe haven't touched gen eight in a hot minute. Also, all of those last 3 matches could be a toss-up in my mind, in particular Finch vs Luigi who have just absolutely crushing it as of late and was super hard to call luigi to win that match. Looking forward to all the matches and best of luck!!! <3 <3

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
Far enough in I can give some decent reasoning

Yelodash vs HSA - never seen yelodash play
Gtcha vs suapah - gtcha won vs him in finals so backing gtcha definitely a highlight match
Eternal Spirit vs clean - Eternal spirit has loaded into 2 losing MU and won 1 and clean the opposite but that's most likely just nerves in his debut. His prep has been amazing so backing him.
Finchinator vs Luigi - Luigi has had great prep, especially vs soulwind where he had a mazar match up.
Chaitanya vs SoulWind - gotta back the better player but rooting for the underdog

Ren-chon

Bit of a delayed post, but better late than never! We've reached week 3 and already starting to see a couple slots being shuffled around, with London Beats giving way to Yelodash for the Scooters, and suapah being subbed in over Aberforth on the Classiests. Will be interesting to see how they'll do, specially with Gtcha vs suapah being quite the highlight by itself! The OP and replays posts have been updated, and reminder you can always check on each individual week's Hide for their respective predictions format post too.

:alakazam-mega: Yelodash vs HSA :snorlax:
:marowak-alola: Gtcha vs suapah :gardevoir-mega:
:entei: Eternal Spirit vs clean :suicune:
:raikou: Finchinator vs Luigi :lycanroc:
:tyrantrum: Chaitanya vs SoulWind :garchomp:

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
Week 3 was pretty sick, although I was sad to see that the raiders subbed out gtcha. Week 4 has some very close MU's I think every game could go either way

Predictions:
[CLA] suapah vs Yelodash [SCO] - Yelodash dismantled HSA very cleanly last week, imo looks a bit more solid than suapah.
[CRY] clean vs Chaitanya [TYR] - Chait played well around soulwind's HO last week with a very cool team even respecting knock on the blaziken at the end instead of just harding victini, for sure my favourite game from last week. clean smoked ES last week, his plays seem confident with hardly any timer showing. So I gotta back him again.
[SHA] SoulWind vs Finchinator [TIG] - finch is 2-1 losing 1 game to a speed tie, on the flipside soulwind is 1-2 so backing the better record as tilt will surely be involved.
[BIG] HSA vs Eternal Spirit [RUI] - both are 1-2 ES has a stronger win as he somehow won vs his w1 game in an unwinnable MU, whereas HSA's game was a speed tie to win.
[WOL] Luigi vs Gtcha [RAI] - Gtcha is the better SS player but I think Luigi's teams r better so with the team advantage he will win.

Last edited:
A lotta really great matches last week, with a lot of really cool teams!!! Saddened to see gtcha get subbed out, because they're a great player, but i can't be mad because Raizen is also an incredible player and played a great match

My week 4 predictions:
suapah vs Yelodash
Clean vs Chaitanya
Soulwind vs Finchinator
HSA
vs Eternal Spirit
Luigi vs Gtcha

There's a few matches here i'm looking forward too and have a few thoughts on and a few i'm looking forward too. Should be a good week 4!!!!

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
already missed 2 but better late the never, kinda busy so no reasoning

[RAI] Gtcha vs SoulWind [SHA]
[CRY] clean vs Shafofficiel [BIG]
[RUI] Eternal Spirit vs suapah [CLA]

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
[BIG] Shafofficiel vs Leo [TYR] -both got rolled in sv, so kinda hard to tell, but Leos last spl sz proved his skill in SS
[WOL] Luigi vs Eternal Spirit [RUI] - ES played great last week and I'm yet to see Luigi win an even MU but that's a compliment to his scouting. I expect to see a winning MU at preview again for Luigi
[TIG] Finchinator vs Gtcha [RAI] - Gtcha is dominating everyone right now
[CLA] MichaelderBeste2 vs clean [CRY] - we all know how good mdb2 is at SS, I'm honestly surprised they let him go 0-5 before swapping him to a tier he will win in LOL
[SHA] SoulWind vs Yelodash [SCO] - Soulwind has brought better teams and is a solid player despite the negative record, whereas Yelodash has made some weird plays as well as his team choice letting him down.

Lotta really cool games last week and I'm looking forward to a lot more this time around!!! Life got the better of me last week and by the time I was free a good chunk of the matches happened. Anyway here's my predictions for this week:

Shafofficiel vs Leo
Luigi
vs Eternal Spirit
Finchinator vs Gtcha
Michaelderbeste2 vs clean
SoulWind
vs Yelodash

Super jazzed for both the Finch Gtcha match and the Michaelderbeste2 clean match. I love watching all 4 of these players so much. Obviously looking forward to the other matches but those 2? chefs kiss

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
back again

[WOL] 1 True Lycan vs HSA [BIG] - Lycan is more experienced in this tier in my opinion and HSA has had a poor showing in SS.
[SHA] SoulWind vs ima [CRY] - I doubt ima has played any SS since SV came out and SW has played the whole sz.
[RAI] Gtcha vs Yelodash [SCO] - cant bold against Gtcha.
[CLA] MichaelderBeste2 vs Leo [TYR] - both are 2-0 in SS but Leo has had more convincing wins and mdb's sz hasnt been great.
[TIG] c0mp vs Eternal Spirit [RUI] - ES has been playing really good these past weeks and idk c0mp.

Last edited:
LMAO been slacking here sorry, been busy, but I can give my thoughts for this week I think:
1 True Lycan vs HSA
Soul Wind vs ima
Gtcha vs Yelodash
MichaelderBeste2 vs Leo
c0mp vs Eternal Spirit

No Finch 2 weeks in a row is upsetting as someone who isn't really following the other gens, but if his team needs him elsewhere, he needs to play elsewhere. That said, I'm excited to see the new rotating batch of players who I can't say I'm super familiar with their play styles. I just like watching gen 8, what can I say. <3

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
[CRY] ayk vs c0mp [TIG] - ayk is underappreciated with cool yet viable builds accompanied with solid play, excited to see him play
[TYR] Leo vs Cicada [SCO] - I havent really seen Cicada play but Leo has better results anyways
[CLA] MichaelderBeste2 vs 1 True Lycan [WOL] - after a shaky sz mdb2 is back to his old dominating self in SS. He played great to pull off the win vs Leo last week.
[RUI] Eternal Spirit vs Ash KetchumGamer [RAI] - Ash ketchum gamer is another player who was quietly dominating SS at the end of the gen. I personally think he wouldve won OLT if he didnt get lucked out. Although ES has been winning games he has no business winning so this is gonna be an exciting game.
[BIG] HSA vs SoulWind [SHA] - I've got no idea who is gonna win this but my gut is saying SW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)