OU SPL XIV BW Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monai

is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
1673313754205.png

Welcome BW Community to another year of Smogon Premier League! With SPL XIV starting up, this thread will be open to discuss replays, metagame developments, predictions, and anything else about our lovely tier. Will sand balance builds reign supreme another year or will we see a revitalization of other styles? This thread will be updated frequently with each new week, player standings, and replays.

SPL Commencement Thread
Schedule
Spreadsheet

1673318351877.png

Pricelist

Likely BW Starters: (in bold)
Possible Players (not bolded)

1673314875204.png

:entei: - Dice, zf
1673316459204.png

1673315006554.png

:entei: - Crucify, Finchinator, BluBirD
1673316466566.png

1673315167115.png

:suicune: - Soulgazer
1673316471607.png

1673315284271.png

:gardevoir_mega: - Garay Oak
1673316475818.png

1673315483207.png

:tyrantrum: - Dark Eeveon, Elodin, Chaitanya
1673316487127.png

1673315696329.png

:snorlax: - Monai, BlazingDark, Devin
1673316505906.png

1673315833999.png

:alakazam_mega: - Sensei Axew
1673316513193.png

1673315947975.png

:garchomp: - Ayaka, Soulwind
1673316518616.png

1673316189355.png

:marowak_alola: - Jisoo
1673316538259.png

1673316319897.png

:lycanroc: - GaryTheGengar
1673316547217.png

Power Rankings

Replays

Usage Stats

Last edited:

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If I remember well enough, it seems there are 4 returning figures in Finchinator, Dice, Crucify and Garythegengar, 2 of them on the same team. The pool seems much different then it has been. While the line ups are not confirmed, Monai, jisoo, and Dark Eveeon look to make their inaugural debut this year. While Crucify seems predicted to be taking finchinator's slot, and Dark eveeon has taken Elodin's due to lack of enthusiasm in the tier(?). Left with 3 returning players, accompanied by a mixture of spl veterans and some fresher faces. This is an interesting pool.

Personally, the shake up in the pool is refreshing. We spectators can't be blamed if we worry about lackluster quality, but all teams have great support for their BW slot and potential backup should players tilt. Seeing new faces get opportunities can be promising for a tier usually monopolized by players with a 2010 sign up date, giving hope to try hard ladder noobs like marsandback that they may eventually get into SPL (lol).

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Predictions Week 1:
BW OU: sensei axew vs dice
BW OU: crucify vs Monai
BW OU: Dark Eeveon vs GaryTheGengar
BW OU: Gondra vs Garay oak
BW OU: Jisoo vs soulgazer

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I (the BW mod team, and CEO of GSC NU) will be taking applications for individuals who have tons of free time, determination, commitment, and energy will be taking applications for any individual who would like to host the BW SPL Predictions thread. Unfortunately Finchinator does to much already, and I'm short of time. If it happens it happens

Seriously if you would like to host mssg me or finch on discord. FNH#2253

Amir

Banned deucer.
Predictions Week 1:
BW OU: sensei axew vs dice
BW OU: crucify vs Monai
BW OU: Dark Eeveon vs GaryTheGengar
BW OU: Gondra vs Garay oak
BW OU: Jisoo vs soulgazer

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
disorganized early thoughts:
  • Clefable seeing 2 uses is likely a sign of things to come. We all knew Magic Guard was awesome and perhaps Clefable will not see this attention all season, but in general the focus on Spikes in building is greater than ever — and I expect Clefable or other mechanisms to be at the forefront of new teambuilding conventions.
  • Mamoswine is good. STAB Ice is still gnarly to swap into. We saw a Balloon Jellicent and a Bronzong this week, so people are cognizant of this. But no matter what you concoct in the builder, a Band Mamo or even a typical old Mamo can do a number with the right timing. Gems ban helped Mamo perhaps more than anything else simply because there was less strain on Cloyster and less desire to use old cookie-cutter HO, making Mamoswine’s shared checks less common and Mamoswine’s fit onto teams more plausible.
  • Skarmory is a great option and it’s beginning to rival Ferrothorn overall after years of lagging behind. Ferrothorn still fits onto more teams as Rain remains a regular sight and it fits into some Sand or weatherless builds, but Skarm is now more common on Sand and useful in a distinct enough way for it to be in the discussion of the top 8-10 Pokemon when it was more top 15-20 back in 2020-2021 arguably.
  • Even with there being more balance teams, passivity is still being punished and positioning earlier in games matters so much. People who make the most of “free” turns and make the extra pivot or prediction seem to be having a lot of success. BW is always unique like this as each switch in more tense, hazard-filled games and each sequence in general holds substantial weight, but this is even more the case now than some prior metagames I feel.

disorganized early thoughts:
  • Clefable seeing 2 uses is likely a sign of things to come. We all knew Magic Guard was awesome and perhaps Clefable will not see this attention all season, but in general the focus on Spikes in building is greater than ever — and I expect Clefable or other mechanisms to be at the forefront of new teambuilding conventions.
  • Mamoswine is good. STAB Ice is still gnarly to swap into. We saw a Balloon Jellicent and a Bronzong this week, so people are cognizant of this. But no matter what you concoct in the builder, a Band Mamo or even a typical old Mamo can do a number with the right timing. Gems ban helped Mamo perhaps more than anything else simply because there was less strain on Cloyster and less desire to use old cookie-cutter HO, making Mamoswine’s shared checks less common and Mamoswine’s fit onto teams more plausible.
  • Skarmory is a great option and it’s beginning to rival Ferrothorn overall after years of lagging behind. Ferrothorn still fits onto more teams as Rain remains a regular sight and it fits into some Sand or weatherless builds, but Skarm is now more common on Sand and useful in a distinct enough way for it to be in the discussion of the top 8-10 Pokemon when it was more top 15-20 back in 2020-2021 arguably.
  • Even with there being more balance teams, passivity is still being punished and positioning earlier in games matters so much. People who make the most of “free” turns and make the extra pivot or prediction seem to be having a lot of success. BW is always unique like this as each switch in more tense, hazard-filled games and each sequence in general holds substantial weight, but this is even more the case now than some prior metagames I feel.
Thank u very much for this quality analysis Finchinater…

it is time… for my own!

Amusing… volcarona usage is at 0%… when 80% of team Lose to Psychic volcarona

i think… we need more Volcarona…’ i will NOt be satisfied until 50% (no more no less) of eligible…tournament participants… have imbibed in… or been exposed to… Volcarona

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Re: Thief in BW OU,

I only got 3 games in the generation during SPL unfortunately, but I was able to branch out and use some novel sets in each week at least. I plan to share each creative set, each team, and all of my thoughts in a lengthy post later (stay tuned!!!), but for now I want to touch on a trend I found in two of my teams.

Thief proved helpful in improving the margins in some matchups. BW is metagame where we have to be very particular because of how naturally proactive it is. With no mechanisms like Boots and Defog, a lot of progress that is made stay throughout games and this progress builds upon itself as well. I plan out early games from my lead to my sequencing depending on how the opponent reacts to great lengths, but sometimes match-ups can be complicated or even uphill with a metagame bloated with different threads. Being able to remove a certain element of counterplay from an opponent's team is a common practice in BW with many lures being used and stacking pressure, but this can sometimes be achieved through displacing their item, too. Knock Off is becoming more common with age in BW as many of us know with Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and even occasionally Landorus-T or Clefable. Thief is another way to enact this strategy though. It is less practical at times, but there are two sets with it that I used in a 3 week sample. I also think Rotom-W is viable with Eject Button and Hydro/Volt/Wisp/Thief on an offense as a pivot, but I was not able to perfect that build quite yet.

:Politoed:
Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 136 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Thief
- Encore

This set actually worked out perfectly here!

Eject Button is super underrated as you can chew a Rotom-W Volt Switch, Latios Draco Meteor, or weaker attacks comfortably and then get in Choice Specs Keldeo, Thundurus-T, or your choice of Rain threat without any risk or momentum loss. From there, you have no item and Thief can give you a big edge. Thief into Celebi or Ferrothorn coming in can go a long way to remove their Leftovers, but it can also work in tandem with Toxic to stack damage on opposing Politoed, Jellicent, Gastrodon, Rotom-Wash, etc. Another cool application is stealing a Choice Scarf from a Latios or Keldeo to minimize their revenge killing threat into your team as they try to take out weakened Politoed. Overall, I think this set is super underrated on more dedicated offensive Rain teams. EVs can vary a lot depending on your specific team, too.

:Skarmory:
Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Thief

The first set is almost entirely novel while the latter is a different way to play lead Skarmory. Most experienced BW players can read this at team preview, so they are unlikely to lead Ferrothorn, slower Skarmory, Gliscor, SR Tyranitar, etc. and would rather try to force a 2HKO into you to minimize the hazard set-up. I find this makes Taunt very expendable, but I also find non-RH/Lefties Skarm without recovery being awkward into Rapid Spin + Protect Excadrill's classic set on Sand. Thief can take Leftovers later in the mirror after you force some chip with Brave Bird, which means you may be able to leave if in range of Alakazam or Scarf Garhomp Outrage depending on your specific build. It also alleviates the stress on Balloon Jellicent, which is a very common partner to Skarmory that wants to remain in tact, but oftentimes has to take damage or status earlier in SandDrill match-ups.

Aside from this application, sometimes I save Skarmory and get a surprise Custap Thief vs certain threats depending on how they are against Spikes and how I am against their threats. Obviously Taunt has merit still and especially against people who are less BW competent as they may not read Skarmory as being lead or Taunt, but at an SPL level, I love risks like these that can add a surprise layer to early gam planning.

Thief is still nowhere near as good as it is in GSC or even quite as trendy as Thief Skarmory in ADV, but it is an underrated move in BW and I am glad I integrated it onto a few of the teams I used. I will expand on these teams and my battles in the near future.

Segale

Banned deucer.
Hello,

Since i been following the BW games this entire SPL and i have a lot of fun playing BW ou recently i wanted to post about some cool things i noticed in spl/recent meta

1679313376748.png

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Payback
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

This conkeldurr set has seen some usage in SPL and it has shown to do its job really well, it is very solid at breaking down common balanced/offensive teams due to its massive defenses and a way to heal with Drain Punch as well as having nice priority which can help massively vs the popular HO teams, i first saw Dark Eeveon use this set with support of Scarf Hwish Latias as well as Rocks Hwish Jirachi which inspired me to create a team that would focus on Conk's longevity even more, this led to the creation of my Conkeldurr Screens, i decided to pair it with in my opinion the best screens setter which can also reset my Conkeldurr with Healing Wish

1679313663803.png

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor

An alternative set for this is the second Eon with screens however it's set is a little bit different as it benefits from the usage of Memento, i have been using it on a different screens team and it does its job perfectly

1679313771907.png

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Magic Coat/Draco Meteor

Another good partner for this specific Conk set has been Trick Hwish Scarf Jirachi which can be crucial in matchups vs bulkier teams that rely on mons like Skarmory

1679313850813.png

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

The rest of the team consists of Cloyster, Sash Landorus and DD Dragonite however i will not share it yet as i believe there is still room to improve it further more, i have seen a lot of cool Techs in SPL and im happy that i can share 5 cents of my own in this metagame as i find it really interesting and fun to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)