SS PU Specs Vanilluxe & Snowslash

Curiyan

Banned deucer.
Oh boy...
With Snow Warning being unbanned, the long lost cousin to the fish that once terrorized OU has been banned to NUBL. I'm sad I don't get to use my banded fish but that's besides the point, many hail abusers have come out of the North Pole to launch their powerful Blizzards. (or if you're that guy, you use Walrein and stall >:( ) I have realized this and decided to take advantage of the new weather that has been enabled; I'll use Vanilluxe. Why? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vanilluxe @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Aurora Veil
First off, we have the cone itself. With Max SpAtk and Choice Specs, Vanilluxe becomes a suberb wallbreaker, be able to almost 2HKO most walls in the tier. Weezing? 2HKO'd. Aromatisse? 2HKO'd. Audino? 2HKO'd in hail. Oh yeah, hail itself. This allows it to chip down opposing pokemon and allows it to set up Veil to support the pokemon on my team, but you mostly want to click Blizzard and Freeze Dry so you can break.

Sandslash-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake/Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
When I first heard the news that Snow Warning was allowed, I was scared(rightfully) of the effect of Slush Rush. While they don't seem the best in practice, Beartic has better offensive stats, allowing it to either set up and sweep or do a lot of damage with a Choice Band, and Sandslash, Snowslash if you may, has better defensive uses and can also set up. The main reason I decided to use Sandslash over Beartic is its better defensive use: while Beartic has better offensive stats, even with Jolly nature, it is prone to getting revenge killed by Scarf Togedemaru, which is a threat, while Snowslash can survive multiple Zing Zaps and Iron Flinches(just hope you don't get flinched). With SD and its STAB moves, it can easily threaten a lot of walls in return, and even the more offensive checks under hail.

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Defog
- Flamethrower
When you look at two Ice types, you think of how much you're weak to. Scrafty, Hitmonlee, Charizard, the whole batch. Noticing this, I put on a Silvally: patching up some weaknesses. Along with Defog and the ability to threaten Scrafty, Silvally can also use Parting Shot to get a safe switch into your powerful attackers. The speed is also useful for pivoting on strong bulky attackers such as Tsareena and Sandaconda as it trys to set up.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick/Healing Wish
- Psychic
- U-turn
The next addition to the team provides two good aspects; a Stealth Rocker and speed control. When first looking at the set, it looks quite vulnerable to Dark types, which is true, but in reality, you don't really need to hit them. When facing bulkier teams, you have the opportunity to trick off a Choice Scarf to one of the bulky walls, and when facing a more offensive team with a Absol or Scrafty, you can U-Turn to not only gain momentum but also get some chip. With Silvally in, you can scare out a Absol trying to either set up or Knock Off, and the same with Scrafty. Depending on the matchup, you can even set-up Stealth Rocks without tricking off your Scarf, as the extra speed versus offensive can be valuable for revenge killling. If you even find it necessary, you can swap Trick for Healing Wish to heal up your attackers or walls respectively.

Charizard @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Toxic
- Roost
The stall-breaking flying lizard is just overall a useful addition. It can threaten Ferroseed and Tsareena, both threats to the rest of the team, and when Quagsire switches in you can Toxic. Combined with the hail chip and Toxic damage, the damage on walls will stack quickly, enabling a clean up with either Snowslash or Scarf Mesprit. Remember that the Hail also effects your Zard as well, so make sure you roost of the damage you take before lauching of your powerful STAB moves.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recover
- Ice Punch/Waterfall
- Earthquake
With the Quag on our side, we now have a safeguard against the powerful rock types, Aggron and Archeops. It may seem odd at first to but on Curse, but it provides the team with a defensive and equally offensive sweeper that also checks Zard somewhat(just don't get too cocky with Hurricane confusions or a Toxic, that limits Quag immensely.) While Ice Punch is mainly used to hit Whimsicott on the switch, a freeze chance, and a way to hit flying types, Waterfall can also be used for STAB. Make sure you get Quag in a good position before setting up, as your opponent will usually play differently after they know your set; use Quag mainly as a late game sweeper and a blanket Zard and Aggron counter.

With that, the team has been displayed in all of its frigid glory. Please give me thoughts, and feel free to use it yourself. before it gets banned again https://pokepast.es/b0b1fad0bef8770d

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Hey Curiyan, hail being freed in PU, at last, is pretty nice. I think you can support this core a bit better though. Quagsire feels rather out of place and the compression between Silvally-Fairy and Mesprit is kinda rough. It's important to keep in mind how Gigalith can stop the hail core and is pretty common. Hope you consider some of these changes.
:silvally: :mesprit: -> :whimsicott:
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Knock Off
Defensive Silvally-Fairy has seen better days, and is less useful now without Drampa to check, Passimian to absorb, etc. There is also a lot of pressure on this Mesprit between setting up Stealth Rock and being a revenge killer. I think Whimsicott can make for a solid replacement. Whimsicott has a solid natural speed tier and can hit spdef walls like Togedemaru and Audino with Knock Off for Vanilluxe.

:quagsire: -> :sandaconda: :wishiwashi:
Sandaconda @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Rest

Wishiwashi-School @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Quagsire is somewhat a momentum drain here. Sandaconda is able to provide the Stealth Rock previously squeezed on Mesprit and provide Glare support to help deal with faster Pokemon when Vanilluxe can't set hail. Wishiwashi is a solid pivot that helps the Charizard matchup while giving Vanilluxe more opportunities to break. These two are able to have a stronger matchup against Gigalith teams compared to Quagsire alone.

I moved Rapid Spin onto Sandslash to give it more purpose outside of a potential sweep and to justify no Defog on Whimsicott. The pivoting may be missed but I think being less passive without Quagsire and defensive Silvally is a net positive. Explosion is nice to have on Vanilluxe to better position Sandslash. Enjoy!

EmbraceTheCuriyan

Banned deucer.
Hey Curiyan, hail being freed in PU, at last, is pretty nice. I think you can support this core a bit better though. Quagsire feels rather out of place and the compression between Silvally-Fairy and Mesprit is kinda rough. It's important to keep in mind how Gigalith can stop the hail core and is pretty common. Hope you consider some of these changes.
:silvally: :mesprit: -> :whimsicott:
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Knock Off
Defensive Silvally-Fairy has seen better days, and is less useful now without Drampa to check, Passimian to absorb, etc. There is also a lot of pressure on this Mesprit between setting up Stealth Rock and being a revenge killer. I think Whimsicott can make for a solid replacement. Whimsicott has a solid natural speed tier and can hit spdef walls like Togedemaru and Audino with Knock Off for Vanilluxe.

:quagsire: -> :sandaconda: :wishiwashi:
Sandaconda @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Rest

Wishiwashi-School @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Quagsire is somewhat a momentum drain here. Sandaconda is able to provide the Stealth Rock previously squeezed on Mesprit and provide Glare support to help deal with faster Pokemon when Vanilluxe can't set hail. Wishiwashi is a solid pivot that helps the Charizard matchup while giving Vanilluxe more opportunities to break. These two are able to have a stronger matchup against Gigalith teams compared to Quagsire alone.

I moved Rapid Spin onto Sandslash to give it more purpose outside of a potential sweep and to justify no Defog on Whimsicott. The pivoting may be missed but I think being less passive without Quagsire and defensive Silvally is a net positive. Explosion is nice to have on Vanilluxe to better position Sandslash. Enjoy!
Thx avarice, on my other account. Didn't try it out yet, but the changes look well and fill previous roles. Much love. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)