SV OU somewhat balance /w hazards (new to ou so need some recommendations)

Heres my team: https://pokepast.es/7f491fc41a760dc

This is the first team I've ever built so it would be nice if I got some suggestions on how to improve my team! (I used this team in OU a couple times and it did pretty good).

Teambuilding Process: First I added Hisuian Samurott as a fast hazard setter, then I added rillaboom as i used some sample teams and found him to be really powerful and the best grassy terrain setter. Then I wanted to try one of the new pokemon from the new Indigo Disk DLC and I settled on Raging bolt as he's pretty bulky and can hit harder than fluttermane (except if flutter is boosts spatk w booster energy/protosynthesis) which is crazy so I added it onto the team. Then I realized I'm lacking a good fairy counter so I added Gholdengo since again he's got a rlly good defense typing and a valid counter to fairy mons like Iron Valiant. I did add clodsire as I needed some defensive mon that could add status conditions to mons to cripple them down and also a very good special wall. Lastly, I added Great Tusks as I realized I didn't have a good hazard remover so I settled on a rapid spin great tusk.

1. Samurott Hisui: First I used a choice scarf on him to outspeed some fast mons like iron moth, dragapult, etc. It's unfortunately not able to outspeed Deoxys-speed and can get OHKO'd from one superpower if they have enough attack EVs. 40 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-Speed Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott-Hisui: 270-320 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Fortunately it does beat fast threats like Iron boulder, iron crown, and threats in general like gholdengo. It's easily one of the biggest threats on my team that only gholdengo can really take care of. But overrall, Hisuian-Samurott is mostly there as a lead except if they do have a deoxys, then I switch into Gholdengo before it start wreaking havoc on my team. I used tera water because most of the time, Samurott won't really be needing tera at all as it usually just sets spikes up and doesn't do much after that. But if I absolutely need to, I can tera water and razor will dish out lots of damage. Flip turn is for momentum and pivoting purposes, and since rillaboom is my only knock off user and he's pretty slow, hisuian-samurott is a valid fast knock off user.

2. Rillaboom: As I said before rillaboom is very powerful and can dish out huge damage with choice band and grassy glide combined, even with the nerf grassy glide got. It also weakens ground damage which is really good for some of the ground weaknesses I have and even though great tusk doesn't benefit very well from this, he's primarily a rapid spinner. Plus, most types that ground is super effective against, can be covered by other mons on my team. Tera grass is very good for him as a mono grass typing isn't that bad defensively and can OHKO lots of frail mons with a tera grass choice band boosted grassy glide with relative ease. Wood hammer hits even harder with tera grass and even resistances like dragapult will have a hard time switching into that. Knock off is good for hitting mons like skeledirge, and other mons that would resist his grass moves.

3. Raging Bolt: I wanted to try one of the new mons that came out in the indigo disk dlc, and raging bolt stood out to me. He had a massive spatk sat and the new move thunderclap is an interesting move that works like sucker punch so I wanted to try it out. First off, electric dragon is a very solid dual typing as it 4 weaknesses and 6 resistances which is very solid. And can hit some importants types like water and flying, for super effective damage. It's a very good counter to rain teams as he resists water and can hit back water types for super effective damage which most electric mons can do. I used tera steel as it removes 3 out of my 4 weaknesses which is really good for a bulky mon like Raging Bolt. I also used a calm mind + draco meteor set to make Raging bolt one of the best nukes in the tier. And also thunderbolt for some consistent electric coverage.

4. Clodsire: I wanted clodsire since I needed a mon that could cripple opposing teams with toxic specfically, and clodsire was the perfect mon to do that. I made him have the normal stall set with toxic + recover to win 1v1 against basically every spatk mon in the tier. I also put stealth rock on clodsire in case for some reason, Hisui-Samurott couldn't get his hazards up before clod comes in. Ofc, clod does get absolutely obliterated by physical attackers like landorus-t and great tusk even with grassy terrain up but does prevent set up with unaware. I needed a good bulky mon so i decided on clodsire. I used tera water as a good defensive typing all around but I rarely will be using tera on clod but if I do, i go with tera water.

5. Gholdengo: Gholdengo has consistently been OU since release due to its stellar defensive typing, broken ability, and good stats. I used the nasty plot + recover set to be somewhat bulky but at the same time threatening. Gholdengo can take care of common threats like deoxys-speed and iron valiant. Make in rain + nasty plot can be a very powerful steel move and shadow ball is the go-to to hit psychic mons like deoxys. Tera fairy to nullify knock off damage since I have an air balloon to be immune to ground before the first hit.

6. Great Tusk: Before I finished this team, I realized that I didn't have any counters to hazards so I used a rapid spin great tusk. Even though it does get denied by gholdengo, great tusk has the better speed stat so with max speed investment, he can outspeed gholdengo and basically OHKO him with headlong rush (unless he tera's ofc). Ice spinner for flying coverage and for terrain removal (if they do override my terrain but rillaboom is really the only good terrain setter right now).

Threats:

Sun Teams:

My team lowk gets cooked (pun intended) by sun teams. Most mons in sun teams outspeeds all my mons like gouging fire. And even so, gouging fire beats my best sun team counter, raging bolt.

Deoxys-speed

My only counter to this mon is Gholdengo, and if Gholdengo's dead before it and it's not a utility set, then consider the game over. None of my mons can do anything about it and I pretty much forced to tera if I don't have a Gholdengo to take care of the deoxys.

Ground mons

If rillaboom is dead, I again have to be forced to tera. I might need to add a flying type if I do come into a situation where a ground type sweeps my team so if you do have any reccomendations that would be greatly appreciated.

Conclusion: I can see my team does have some flaws but if I didn't see any other flaws and you did, you can mention it in the comments below, just be respectful about it since this is my very first team I made from scratch. Thank you for reading :)

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
Samurott is only here to do get up hazards, so I'd recommend just putting a Focus Sash on it. To make it even better you can put Tera Ghost on Samurott and defeat those Great Tusks that come in and click CC to kill you. Maybe they click Rapid Spin afterwards to safely knock you out, remove the Hazards and get a Speed Boost. With Tera Ghost you'd be immune to that. You could also use Sucker Punch instead of Flip Turn to kill those Speed Deoxys, after they feel safe cause they broke your Sash. You also already have Knock Off on Rillaboom so I'd put Sacred Sword on Samurott to hit Maushold.
Your Great Tusk need HDB if it wants to remove Hazards. You already have passive healing from Grassy Terrain, so you don't need Lefties.

I don't think you really need Clodsire. You are quite weak to Ice Types, Ground Types and you don't have a great Kingambit Answer. Hamurott is also already able to set up Hazards.
I'd suggest either Volcarona with Tera Water and Giga Drain, Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance, Flamethrower or Walking Wake. Wake deals with Ground types, Sun, but isn't that common on Teams without Sun.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't even know how I overlooked the amount of ice weaknesses I had but I'll definitely try out volcarona and walking wake to see which one I'm more comfortable with. Thanks for the tips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)