Smogon Premier League XIII - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD

Welcome to the thirteenth iteration of SPL, SPL XIII. In this tournament, 10 teams containing the most top levelest players on Smogon duke it out every week, attempting to gather as many wins as they can to reach playoffs. Most of them will fail, but one will win everything. Whatever the case the matches will be exciting, so without further ado here are tournament rules and the matchups!

Tournaments Rules and General Guidelines

Matchups

Dragonspiral Tyrants (5) vs (5) Stark Sharks

SS OU: Sage vs mind gaming
SS OU: HSA vs suapah
SS OU: Leo vs bro fist
SM OU: frisoeva vs Welli0u
ORAS OU: Santu vs CrashinBoomBang
BW OU: ABR vs crucify
DPP OU: Christo vs DeepBlueC
ADV OU: Gilbert arenas vs robjr
GSC OU: -Tsunami- vs Jirachee
RBY OU: FriendOfMrGolem120 vs Heroic Troller

Alpha Ruiners (5) vs (5) Team Raiders

SS OU: MAX UND MAX vs TJ
SS OU: Ox the Fox vs Gtcha
SS OU: xavgb vs 100percentpureheat
SM OU: Skypenguin vs Punny
ORAS OU: MANNAT vs xray
BW OU: dice vs elodin
DPP OU: Malekith vs BIHI
ADV OU: M Dragon vs Hclat
GSC OU: Kenix vs Jimmy Turtwig
RBY OU: chuva de perereca vs Aliss

Tiebreaks

Stark Sharks
(2) vs (1) Dragonspiral Tyrants

SS OU: suapah vs Leo
ADV OU: robjr vs ABR
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs FriendOfMrGolem120

Alpha Ruiners (0) vs (2) Team Raiders

SS OU: dice vs Gtcha
SS OU: Ox the Fox vs 100percentpureheat
RBY OU: chuva de perereca vs BIHI

Tiebreak Deadline: Sunday March 20th, 10 PM EDT (GMT-4)

Dragonspiral Tyrants (0) vs (0) Stark Sharks

GSC OU: -Tsunami- vs Jirachee

Alpha Ruiners (0) vs (0) Team Raiders

Stark Sharks (0) vs (0) Dragonspiral Tyrants

SS OU: suapah vs Leo
ADV OU: robjr vs ABR
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs FriendOfMrGolem120

Alpha Ruiners (0) vs (0) Team Raiders

SS OU: dice vs Gtcha
SS OU: Ox the Fox vs 100percentpureheat
RBY OU: chuva de perereca vs BIHI

Last edited by a moderator:

yone

The One.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Dragonspiral Tyrants (4) vs (6) Stark Sharks

GSC OU: TC vs Jirachee

Alpha Ruiners (3) vs (7) Team Raiders

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Dragonspiral Tyrants (6) vs (4) Stark Sharks

• Angry
Reactions: pqs
rooting for the sharks altho every team is deserving at this point

Dragonspiral Tyrants (3) vs (7) Stark Sharks

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader

The 3K Tyrants players continue to surprise, as Sage achieved an impressive victory against Nat last week with a smart pick in Aerial Ace Kartana to take advantage of Nat's high Buzzwole usage. However, mind gaming has proven himself to be no slouch either. Unless Sage cooks up another smart tech in the prepping process, I predict mind gaming to win this game with his signature aggressive gameplay.

After a flashy 2021, HSA has seemingly mellowed out a bit this SPL. On the opposite side, while RBY draftee suapah doesn't have a ton of games on his resume in recent times, his showings so far have been quite solid. This one is tough to predict, but I'll give the edge to suapah.

If you asked me to predict this matchup before the season started, I would have went with the vro fist without a second thought. And while the punisher has been strong, Leo has subverted expectations by achieving one of the best SS records with 6-1, causing me to give him the slightest of edges here. Definitely a highlight game that you don't want to miss.

It was surprising to see the Well go on an uncharacteristic 0-5 losestreak this season. He has historically been outstanding, however, garnering an impressive record of 8-1 last year, and he has managed to bounce back in the last two weeks with two wins. On the other side, while friso started out well, he hast lost his last three games. With friso also duking it out in the BW ZU finals with the grand prize of $601 on the line, I predict the tribal chief to take this one in a close game.

Santu and CBB had very similar trajectories this season, with both players starting off rather poorly but then turning it around to achieve the same 5-4 record in the end. Both ended the regular season with a convincing victory last week as well. I'll give it to CBB for his historical prowess in this tier and his creativity in the builder.

We finally see the rumored ABR swap from ADV to BW come true, resulting in the two Classic finalists squaring off once again. That time, ABR emerged victorious in both the BW game and the series overall, and while crucify has been very impressive in this tier, I'll predict another W for ABR. It's just tough to predict against him in any classic gen. I look forward to seeing what both players will bring.

Christo is another 3K Tyrants player that has been doing well, as he does every season with the Tyrants. I still scratch my head at the fact that he never seems to get upbid. DBC is certainly no slouch either, but I predict Christo take it in a close game.

With The Clock moving to BW, we see The Cock returning to his home tier. Marcop has historically been very strong in this tier, shown by him making finals in the CALLOUS Invitational, before getting defeated by his swapee. On the other side, we have robjr, who has been not great, but not bad either. This is his first ADV game this tournament though, so it's gonna be tough to take down a strong opponent like marcop.

The greatest among great 3K Tyrants, TC managed to achieve the best GSC record this season so far. ABR's builds and his plays have proven to be an effective combination. Meanwhile, Jirachee, a fellow 3K player, hasn't looked too hot, so I predict TC to win this one.

We have two of the three RBY players with the best records squaring off here. Both have been very strong, both this SPL and past SPLs. While I haven't watched all of the RBY games, I do believe FOMG has been a bit luckier than Troller though, which leads to me giving the latter the edge here. Certainly a highlight series either way, this is the RBY series to watch.

Tiebreak:
Dragonspiral Tyrants (2) vs (1) Stark Sharks

SS OU: Leo vs bro fist (the punisher in tiebreak is a proven commodity)
GSC OU (Tyrants pick): TC vs Jirachee/choolio
SS OU (Sharks pick): ABR vs mind gaming (could go either way though)

Alpha Ruiners (7) vs (3) Team Raiders

Expectations were high for Max at the start of the season, coming in with an exorbitant 26.5K pricetag. The start of the season didn't go too well for him, possibly in part due to nerves due to the aforementioned pricetag, but he managed to turn it around, ending the season with a neutral record. TJ, on the other hand, was 3K in the auction. He has looked decent, but I'll go with the more proven player in Max here.

Ox has become a hallmark player in the upper echelons of the SS OU tournament scene in the past year, winning three trophies and making yet another tournament playoffs here. However, while Gtcha was only 3.5K in the auction, he, like Leo, subverted expectations by achieving one of the best SS records with 6-1. This is another tough one to predict, but I'll give the slighest of edges to the more proven player in Ox here. Definitely a highlight game either game.

This matchup is another very tough one to predict for me. Xavier Great Britain is a 3K sub that went Super Saiyan and ended up achieving one of the best SS records with 5-0. I've lost count of how many very cheap players have performed outstandingly well this season. On the other side, we have Craig, who actually achieved the best SS OU record last season and has looked solid this season. Once again with the slighest of edges, I'll predict Stresh to continue his undefeated streak in yet another highlight game.

Skypenguin has turned heads with a great 6-2 campaign this season. He faces off against Punny, who put up a respectable 5-4 record. While I've been impressed with Skypenguin, I'll go against what the records suggest and predict Punny, thanks to his greater experience and well-roundedness as a player. It feels like I've been calling every game a highlight, but this is another highlight game.

With many writing MANNAT off as just building support at the start of the season, he's actually managed to put up an impressive 3-1 record so far after subbing in. However, his one loss was against his current opponent, xray, who historically has been one of the best ORAS players around and has looked good this season as well. Unless MANNAT finds a nice tech in the builder (or some effective cheese), I predict xray to win again.

Both dice and elodin have been some of the best BW players around both in prior seasons and this season, where they've put up similar records in 6-3 and 6-2 respectively. Another difficult game to predict, but because dice seems to have a had a slightly lower strength of schedule and one more loss while elodin has many teammates that are knowledgable in BW along with ABR support, I'll give a slight edge to elodin.

I'm repeating myself, but yet again both players have had a strong season. Malekith quietly achieved the best DPP record so far, while BIHI has looked solid in DPP as well. Yup, it's another highlight, where I'll give the edge to the daddy.

After a long stint as a manager, Mario Draghi returned to the ADV playing field with a decent season. He faces off against Hclat, who, after being bought at midseason, has had a similarly decent SPL run, during which he managed to beat Mariano. While that may be the case, I'll still give it to Maestro Dragon due to being more proven and having a greater historical presence in the tier.

Before the season started, I would have predicted Jimmy to win this matchup, but now I'm not so sure. Kenix has been impressive and managed to beat Jimmy earlier in the season, which is why I'll give him the edge.

Chuva is yet another cheap player that turned heads. He's the third player with the best RBY record currently, along with the aforementioned Troller and FOMG. On the other side, Aliss has been decent but not great, as she lost four series in a row in the middle of the season, one of which against chuva. She did beat Amaranth last week, however, so things may be looking up. Chuva has proven himself to be one of the best RBY players around right now though, so I'll give it to him.

SS OU: Sage vs mind gaming: The mind gaming style of play is the best overall style (Bulky ofense) but he still has to learn how not to make some obvious missplays, like for example in ost vs Giannis where Giannis had a lele lock on Psy and mind gaming decided to go scarf kartana instead of band weavile which forced Giannis's skarmory to at roost if is not a 2ko with rocks, which leads koko to a free turn and probably a kill aswell. In the case of sage I would have to see her play more to have a better opinion about her, but based on her spl games I think that what suits her best is hyper offense where she showed very good signs in the two games she played with offense, against bro fist she played a more balanced team where she did make several quite questionable plays, being the no trick to koko probably the worst.

If sage feels confident, I predict a slightly less offensive team to be able to contain the mind's style that I doubt will go far beyond feo what he usually uses, but the most predictable thing is that we will see offense against offense, where I think mind gaming aggressive style is going to come out on top.

SS OU: HSA vs suapah: Suapah is the best ss player here, and I think he's one of the players who can predict when and how Hsa is going to do one of those crazy stay ins or doubles that he does sometimes, he's also prone to make less missplays than hsa, which is important if the machutp is neutral or not so unbalanced. From this game I predict that suapah is going to use a solid team to simply play beter than hsa, and on the part of hsa I predict that the tyrants are going to cook a team with some teachs that can get suapah out of tune and so on level the balance

SS OU: Leo vs bro fist: Leo has been a top 3 player if not the best in the pool this spl, he rarely missplays, he's being aggressive when he has to be, and the teams he plays have been pretty solid. Bro Fist is 5-4, and it is definitely noticeable that he does not play the tier often, since he has had problems piloting during the games, but when he knows the plays it is almost impossible for him to lose because he always predicts you well, so he is still very Dangerous even if he has had difficulties that in ss are more common to make you lose than in other tiers like sm. I think Leo is going to win, but this could definitely could go eitherway but I expect Leo to have the same consistency that he has had, for the sake of our wcop team (worrywhirl)

SS OU: MAX UND MAX vs TJ: max is pretty solid, he plays solid teams and makes plays that are pretty normal but that 70% of the pool is not capable of. He's the type of guy who's not going to beat himself but if you're a bit aggressive you can beat him, Tj is a pretty aggressive player to the point where that can work against him sometimes, Like for example the double he did against separation where he sacked his wincon. But he can also beat any player if he concentrates and knows how and when to be aggressive.

Here I predict an upset from Tj, I think his style is what can bother a player like max the most and that is what will define the game.

SS OU: Ox the fraude vs Gtcha: gtcha is the better ingame player of the two in almost every aspect, but the difference Is not enough to straight bold him and ox is a better builder and much more experienced than bleach in these situations. I don't know who to pick here, bleach will predict any kind of ox play, but ox is more experienced and can surprise bleach in any way with some team that he must be cooking while you reading me.

fuck ox the fraude anyways.

SS OU: xavgb vs 100percentpureheat: The only 3 craig's weakness are trying to not troll and use a good team, tryng to speak spanish without Google translator and enzo2 (ACR1 ).
I don't have much to say about craig because I'm definitely not going to praise him.

sometimes i question why the viewers never have a clue about anything but then i remember some of these are mannat, bouff and starry and then i forget this question. xavgb has definitely surprised me to be a mainer, but still hasn't do anything that I can say wow, at least personally. Most of the players he has played are definitely not close to good at ss and with the only good one he played (lycans) he had a lot of questionable plays, I definitely have to see more to bold him against the second best ss player ( me being the goat ofc)

Last edited:

Kazt

Banned deucer.

ORAS OU: mannat vs xray

Go! Gtcha TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)