Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

So I decided to make some chicken stock and noodles from scratch to make fully home made chicken noodle soup (because that's much more important than studying for my exams).

The stock I made in a slow cooker with about 1kg of chicken thighs (with bones and skin) and a bunch of veg.

The noodles were just flour salt and water, kneaded for ages and kinda rolled out and cut as evenly as I could manage.

The actual soup was very simple with just the stock heated with some ginger and garlic and salt, then the noodles cooked in it with some chicken from the thighs heated up (I removed the meat once they were well cooked)
For the stock I basically just put in what I had: 2 big carrots, the green ends of some leeks and some spring onions, a big onion diced, a few cloves of garlic, a couple of celery sticks, a couple of bay leaves, some black peppercorns and about 1kg of chicken thighs. Let it all cook for about 6 hours but it wasn't all that high temp. The meat from the chicken was getting close to overcooking after like 4 hours so I took it out and just put the bones/skin back in for the rest. I skimmed off random scum ever hour or so. The stock was very tasty and 100% worth doing if you have time to keep an eye on it, but ended up slightly more vegetably than I'd like, so in future I will probably not use the leek and spring onion.
IMG_20210522_111135911~2.jpg

The noodles were good but barely better than ones you can buy and it's not like they're expensive so it's 100% not worth making them imo. I will definitely not be making them again any time soon...
IMG_20210522_191636591.jpg

Finished dish is pretty simple because I wanted to see how it was in it's "pure form", just some seasoning added basically. It was really good considering how simple it was, but would be a lot better if I hadn't spent hours making noodles lol. Obviously I made way way more stock that this bowl which is great for all kinda recipes. It wasn't quite as chickeny as I hoped, but it definitely tasted more of chicken once it had salt in, so make don't be surprised if you make stock and it tastes bad unseasoned.
IMG_20210522_194145017.jpg

Verdict: Homemade stock = amazing. Homemade noodles = complete waste of time and effort just go to an asian grocer.

Last edited:

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Oven baked then tossed in the sauce I made in the pan. You can pan fry these too. You can even do a bit of both. If you want crispy chicken with oven baked, add baking powder to your seasoning :)
Hell yeah, I don’t cook much with chicken at home since I try to keep it mostly vegetarian/vegan, but I’ve been wanting to get more into frying up stuff like cauliflower wings since basically every restaurant that tries to do them justice fails horribly. This is a goat tip — I notice you’re from London, do you season your food like an Englishman or…? I’ll let you interpret what that means lmaoo

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I notice you’re from London, do you season your food like an Englishman or…? I’ll let you interpret what that means lmaoo
Lol don't worry, us Londoners are cultured and therefore have a wider range of seasonings and flavours than your average Englishman (I'm also Asian lol)
Reminds me of this scary thing:

LOL why's this called the Kylie Jenner ramen?

---------

One style of omelette I've been liking lately is frying it in sesame oil and preparing it by whisking in Tsuyu.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
Socialization Head
Lol don't worry, us Londoners are cultured and therefore have a wider range of seasonings and flavours than your average Englishman (I'm also Asian lol)
That definitely helps, what are your staples/go-tos?
Diophantine said:
LOL why's this called the Kylie Jenner ramen?
Something about her originally posting that “recipe” on her Snapchat story and it taking off on TikTok… like it’s some sort of inventive cornerstone that revolutionized instant ramen forever…? Couldn’t tell ya

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Fried garlic and ginger then added mirin, sake and soy sauce followed by a corn starch slurry.
Rendered the chicken fat out of the skin (thigh) and fried it and the broccoli in it.
Topped with spring onion + sesame seeds.
0D9E75FC-68E6-49D2-8E13-9298E7B8A840.jpeg
56F69E31-5621-4E9D-B314-14FE7A8366DC.jpeg
Glass got stained when I tried to add the topping sauce but tasted great. I used a bit too much gelatin though.
22D6D04D-86B3-42FE-8DA1-0D688AD604DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
lemon panna cotta
so panna cotta is something i think is p trendy recently. I tried to make one using heavy cream... when u make yours do u use a specific ratio of milk to heavy cream? do u use coconut cream? i dont like gelatin desserts so i am never going to like it, but i do want to know if im making it the way other ppl are making it.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just some stuff i've made the past month or so that came out good

PXL_20211229_233847241.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220105_002652536.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211214_010842801.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211103_234830494.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211001_002319635.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210917_000156174.PORTRAIT.jpg

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
so panna cotta is something i think is p trendy recently. I tried to make one using heavy cream... when u make yours do u use a specific ratio of milk to heavy cream? do u use coconut cream? i dont like gelatin desserts so i am never going to like it, but i do want to know if im making it the way other ppl are making it.
Used only cream but added milk coz I think I made it too sweet and didn’t have any more.
Just used simple double cream shaved in some lemon zest and sugar. The sauce I made by melting sugar, more zest, lemon juice and a very small about of butter.
I hear you can make it with egg whites instead of gelatine but you have to bake them

just some stuff i've made the past month or so that came out good

This all looks so good!!! You are a great cook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)