Smogon Battle Spot Leaderboard (updated as of Feb 2nd)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I achieved a modest score of 1764 in season 3 singles going 43-27. It was my first real crack at the format so I'm happy with that, hopefully I can play more games this season and see how high I can go. My team changed all the time but what I finished with was probably my strongest lineup (just gonna quote from the RMT thread)

so I've been playing some singles and I've been flirting with a 1700 rating for a while but can't seem to stay there, often dropping down to the mid 1600's before climbing back up. Along the way my team has been constantly changing, trying to find something that works, but right now it's just a bunch of pokemon I think are kinda good by themselves but they don't form a really cohesive group. I sorta have both a FWG core as well as a DFS going, but I never seem to bring either of them together. Anyway this is what I have at the moment...

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
Relaxed 252 HP 6 Atk 252 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Just used to check the omnipresent M-Kangaskhan, which it does a wicked job of, except the random ones which carry Fire Blast. I was thinking of swapping Gyro Ball with Iron Head because it obviously doesn't work well with Thunder Wave

Rotom-H @ Choice Specs
Levitate
Modest 252 HP 252 SpAtk 6 Speed
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Trick

Just used to check the omnipresent Talonflame, which it does a wicked job of. He also works pretty well as a lead as a slow Volt Switch can help get something in safely (like keeping Dragonite's Multiscale intact), however lately I've been seeing a lot more ground types (chomp, gliscor, mamoswine, nidoking etc) which pretty much stops that in it's tracks

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Multiscale
Adamant 6 HP 252 Atk 252 Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Like I said, he usually waits around for a Volt Switch to come in on something that can't do much to it and start setting up, then pretty much suicide so someone else can clean up. There are a lot of steel and fairy types running around though so I'm thinking of dropping Outrage for Dragon Claw but I'm worried I'll miss the power. I kinda wanna fit Extremespeed in somewhere but I really enjoy the coverage he gets

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Speed Boost
Modest 6 HP 252 SpAtk 252 Speed
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

(Thanks Hulavuta for recommending the special set)

I was going to go with a physical set and also Destiny Bond but I couldn't make my mind up on the moveset. He really benefits from Protect and if you also have Destiny Bond you only get two moves so I couldn't decide what I wanted to be able to hit. Also the meta seems to be teeming with Intimidate users and things heavily invested in physical defence (thanks kang) so this has been working awesome. I did have D-Bond with a focus Sash for a few battles but there's too much priority to pull it off so I put Protect on it. I feel like if I were more familiar with the speed tiers I'd be able to move some EVs into HP but for now I'll let it go. Overall though this thing has been putting in some serious work

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
Modest 6 HP 252 SpAtk 252 Speed
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam
- Ancient Power

I just really like Togekiss so I wanted to use it somehow. I've had my fair share of battles against opponents with gimmicky / cheap sets so I thought I'd use my own. Not really much to say except just try and flinch your way to victory. I used to really like the T-wave / Air Slash / Roost combo but I'm not sure how well it would work here. Dazzling Gleam gets STAB and hurts dragons, Flamethrower can somewhat hurt Aegislash, I have Ancient Power because the idea of it + Serene Grace sounds good but in reality it will never see use. I mostly have it because once forgotten it's gone forever (pre-evo move) and it can kill Talonflame who will move ahead of Air Slash. Focus Blast would be helpful for Tyranitar and Heatran so I'll probably end up putting that in instead

Mega Kangaskhan
Scrappy > Parental Bond
Jolly 6 HP 252 Atk 252 Speed
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Crunch

I suck... But it is good so yeah. I would have Sucker Punch but I suck at predicting. Also the meta is so over prepared for it now that it doesn't see as much action as it used to. If you can take out its counters or just weaken the opposing team enough it just does a ridiculous job cleaning up

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway there you have it. I'm open to pretty much any ideas / criticism. I have a few things sitting in my pc that I wanna try out sometime like Char X/Y, HP fire Venusaur, sturdy/mirror coat Avalugg, mixed Chomp, Chansey/Blissey, Pinsir, Volcarona etc... I also used to use Belly Drum Azumarill which worked really quite well, I only dropped him for Togekiss as my fairy

also taking nickname suggestions, not even kidding

EDIT: since posting I had a nice little win streak (including a couple against 1900 ranked players) and am pushing 1800 myself now. Checked the global link and I'm sitting second in my country (Aus). The server is down for maintenance atm so this is where I'll probably finish for this season, still would have liked to try for that no. 1 spot though...
edit: here's a couple replays against players with high 1900s ratings...

WKHG-WWWW-WWW7-DW6Q

WB8G-WWWW-WWW7-DWA8

Attachments

Last edited:

Ying

2014 April Friendly Winner
3v3 Singles Rating: 2023 - W191 L144
Special/VGC Rating: 1744 - W70 L50
season3 singles.gif Season3all.gif

3v3 Singles are really difficult to play after the 2000 mark. I should have the highest Singles rating of all non-japanese/korean players.
Also this was my first time playing doubles/VGC format. I was always interested in VGC and I learned a lot from playing on the battle spot.
Wish that there would also be a Special VGC Ladder in Season 4. :/

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I was so busy I could only play 10 games, but it looks like some other people posted before with less games played, so I figured I'll post here anyway, why not? I finished with 1558 points, 7 wins 3 losses, which is ok I guess. School's done soon so I'll be playing a ton more this summer!

I don't have a real team to post since I'm new and was just trying out a bit of everything, but the stuff I found the most consistent success with is special Sharpedo (the one cant say plugged above), Slowbro, Aegislash, Skarmory, and Dragonite. Not all at the same time though.

Made it to 1800+ was pretty fun staying in that range as the battles were much harder and made me want to win more lol.
Had a few battles with Mr. Infinity which was quite fun, also had a couple of 2000 Rated players to vs which was good.
For anyone who is interested, I have found that from 1600-1700 you can still get away with cookie cutter type pokemon, though as you get past the 1700 I have found you really need at least 1 "one of a kind" sort of pokemon, ie. Charizard Y w/Dragon Dance and EQ
Anyone wants to Flat battle pm me :D

Attachments

Well it appears as if this is no longer really updated but, I finished 8th (yay my favorite number) in the USA on the special board season 4. Theorymon beat me out with 3rd. I probably could've gotten higher if I had played more, but I got fed up with seeing high ranked Japanese players with shit like moody sheer cold Glalie (I still won, but it just rustled my feathers).
Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.24.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 10.24.57 PM.png

Last edited:
This was in Special ladder Season 4 (inverse 3v3)
Was #1 in the US for a while with a record of 36w-16l (I'm Yune in that screen)

My team was:
Volcarona
Chesnaught
Suicune
Kangaskhan
Rhyperior
Gengar
Wow congrats! I am going a bit up and down between 1450 and 1620 on battle spot singles 3vs3.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, I've updated as much as I could. I've had to exclude some of the old posts because they were posted in the middle of previous seasons without followup at the end. Feel free to submit previous and current season ratings. MythTrainerInfinity I've included your posts but please resubmit your season 3 rankings with a ratings screenshot so I can give you a proper entry.

I will include PGL tournament rankings in the future if people submit for those. iirc April Friendly had a rankings thread.

Ok, I've updated as much as I could. I've had to exclude some of the old posts because they were posted in the middle of previous seasons without followup at the end. Feel free to submit previous and current season ratings. MythTrainerInfinity I've included your posts but please resubmit your season 3 rankings with a ratings screenshot so I can give you a proper entry.

I will include PGL tournament rankings in the future if people submit for those. iirc April Friendly had a rankings thread.
Oh I updated a post on the previous page with my ratings for Season 3. I'd c/p, but I am on my phone.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hey, Age of Kings, did you want us to post our ranking screenshots of our competition results here? I also posted this in the super speed doubles thread as well. :P

Super Speed Doubles Ranking.png

EDIT: Posting Global Ranking as well. :)

Super Speed Doubles Global Rank.png

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
if we're listing competitions...

battle of legends - 1597 pts, #1309 world, #24 UK
super speed doubles - 1578 pts, #1322 world, #27 UK
eevee friendly - 1635 pts, #511 world, #9 UK

What, we're not all going to update with our season five scores?

Here are mine. Let's not talk about that rotation rating. I peaked at 1,722 and it was, literally, all down hill from there. I stopped playing for quite a while to focus on doubles and triples. They're pretty different headspaces to be in. My last night especially I went for a string of matches that were nearly all losses. Singles in large part consisted of me messing around with various silly ideas; I never tried to really ladder on it/keep track of its score. Doubles and triples were each played with only one team (as in one team for each). All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

For verification's sake, my profile is public and viewable at http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/user/W-567-8007-R/profile/.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Yeah I was on a roll in Doubles and was planning to play more but unfortunately surgery got in the way so whateva. I was close to getting 1700 for Singles this season but went on a big losing streak, sad.

My goal for this season is to get 1700 in Doubles but with Smash Bros. and ORAS coming out I might not have much time to play, haha!

I was still a bit low on singles, but im gonna climb higher with my bulky team, designed to be different and to beat the most used pokemon. I dont know how to post a picture but the rating was 1559.
Use the PrtSc (print screen) button to copy your current view, paste it into Paint (or whatever), and save and upload it. Or just post a link to your public PGL profile.

After not playing for the last couple weeks, I ended up at 1734, #48 in the US and 1300ish in the world.

Hulavuta

coolking49 you might want to tell us which one is you, I'm assuming Aditya from what you said but it would be good if you made it more obvious.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Updated, let me know if I got the season wrong but I assume everyone but Whiskey Tango posted for the current season 6, correct?

Yeah, season 6 only just started so they're definitely all season 5 scores. Age of Kings

Anyway, mine. I got #27 worldwide on the Special ladder w/ 1857 rating. I really wanted to try and get on that top 10 front page, but it was really competitive at the top of the ladder so consistently winning to get over 1900 proved difficult, and the types of teams Japan used didn't help.. but I might get into that and other stuff in the metagame thread later, it was a very interesting and enjoyable way to play 6v6

This is everything else I got, though I only really focused on the special ladder. Overall score at #195 is pretty cool and I began a nice run on triples too. With the last season of X/Y now I'm going to finally try and grind out all ladders to see how high I can get, I've been meaning to do that since like season 3 lol

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Sorry, freekhoorn confused me and I was being bad. I corrected the post and put up Erebyssial's scores. Great job everyone.

So I peaked at 1634 on the Doubles ladder. Not amazing, but it a) is a personal best for me, and b) still gets me #3. My ranking on the PGL right now is lower, which is because I lost a battle after the peak. Instead, I will provide photographic evidence:
IGN: Dave
Rating: Currently 16??, peaked 1634.
Overall standing: <pending while I wait for the PGL to update>

The team I used is below.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Ability: Gale Wings
-Tailwind
-Taunt
-Flare Blitz
-Brave Bird

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Ability: Technician
-Force Palm
-Bullet Seed
-Spore
-Protect

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def
Ability: Sheer Force
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power
-Protect

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Rough Skin
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Ability: Steadfast -> Adaptability
-Aura Sphere
-Vacuum Wave
-Shadow Ball
-Nasty Plot

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
-Power-up Punch
-Fake Out
-Return
-Crunch

Yes, my team has 2 megas. Yes, I would like to replace Lucario; I just have nothing to replace it with. So Lucario will most likely stay on the team until ORAS comes out and we (hopefully) get tutors so I can have a 2nd Tailwind user.

I've noticed that I usually lose hard against Lando-T and Encore Raichu, especially outside of Tailwind. Does anyone have tips on how to beat them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)