Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Can you guys give me advice for my sun team? It's fairing pretty well and I want to keep using it so here

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock

Venusaur @ Normalium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Celebrate
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Leaf Blade

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic

Will we be getting a VR update anytime soon??
They come when they come, really. The thread isn't the most active and people are pretty satisfied with the current rankings, so there's not much of a rush. If you think there's something worth changing, post about it!
Is Alolan Marowak still viable, despite being in B- tier? I really like Alolan Marowak, and I would love to use it here.
B- means "perfectly usable, but must be built around, is niche, and/or might be suboptimal." In Marowak's case, it's a menacing wallbreaker that works just fine at that specific thing, but its lack of offensive or defensive utility and awful Speed compared to other Fire-types make it an uncommon pick. Don't feel bad for using it if you want to.

They come when they come, really. The thread isn't the most active and people are pretty satisfied with the current rankings, so there's not much of a rush. If you think there's something worth changing, post about it!

B- means "perfectly usable, but must be built around, is niche, and/or might be suboptimal." In Marowak's case, it's a menacing wallbreaker that works just fine at that specific thing, but its lack of offensive or defensive utility and awful Speed compared to other Fire-types make it an uncommon pick. Don't feel bad for using it if you want to.
Alright, thanks!

I'm curious as to what meta trends are causing mons like Machamp, Pangoro, Goodra, and Lycanroc-Dusk to rise through the rankings, or be considered to rise through the rankings.

Machamp and Pangoro are making names for themselves thanks to people rediscovering how amazing Knock Off can be. Machamp in particular has seen quite a bit of tour success, using its Guts and easily spammed attacks to rip Milotic teams a new one.
Goodra's Grass immunity gives it a valuable niche on bulky offense, which is often starved for solid Grass switch-ins. Its good set varitey and customizable coverage make it an easier fit.
Lycanroc's getting better simply thanks to one of Drill Run sets' biggest obstacles, Bronzong, falling off in usage. Also, common Pokemon like Noivern have made it easier to set up with.

Machamp and Pangoro are making names for themselves thanks to people rediscovering how amazing Knock Off can be. Machamp in particular has seen quite a bit of tour success, using its Guts and easily spammed attacks to rip Milotic teams a new one.
Goodra's Grass immunity gives it a valuable niche on bulky offense, which is often starved for solid Grass switch-ins. Its good set varitey and customizable coverage make it an easier fit.
Lycanroc's getting better simply thanks to one of Drill Run sets' biggest obstacles, Bronzong, falling off in usage. Also, common Pokemon like Noivern have made it easier to set up with.
Really?! That’s awesome! I love Lycanroc!

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How is mafia nevermore bird in this metagame? (Honchkrow)
All things considered it is still a pretty competent cleaner but due to its lackluster initial speed, fraility, and tendency to die too quickly if it is life orb, it is pretty much required to build a team around it to make use of its pretty neat cleaning capabilities and moxie.

Partners would be sticky web setters since that helps a ton with one of its main issues, the speed, so stuff like Araquanid and Galvantula will do the trick since these 2 can threaten more stuff than ribombee since bee is unfortunately hella weak initially. One of its best partners is roserade and mega blastoise (they are splashable in general but they have 2 things that bring the best from honch). Roserade provide spikes and punch holes so Honch has an easier time cleaning, mega blastoise is the best hazard remover and having rocks away really help with Honchkrow short life span,

Also, the best option available would have to be its z taunt set (Taunt, Night Slash/Superpower, Brave Bird, Sucker Punch with Darkinium Z) since Taunt let it handle many physical walls like Gligar freely. Life Orb ends up killing itself pretty often even with Taunt, still usable but way harder to keep alive.

In general, pretty decent despite its flaws and being restrictive. Just ask for advice to make use the best use of it and should be able to give you sweeps from time to time (especially on the ladder, they hate honch lol).

All things considered it is still a pretty competent cleaner but due to its lackluster initial speed, fraility, and tendency to die too quickly if it is life orb, it is pretty much required to build a team around it to make use of its pretty neat cleaning capabilities and moxie.

Partners would be sticky web setters since that helps a ton with one of its main issues, the speed, so stuff like Araquanid and Galvantula will do the trick since these 2 can threaten more stuff than ribombee since bee is unfortunately hella weak initially. One of its best partners is roserade and mega blastoise (they are splashable in general but they have 2 things that bring the best from honch). Roserade provide spikes and punch holes so Honch has an easier time cleaning, mega blastoise is the best hazard remover and having rocks away really help with Honchkrow short life span,

Also, the best option available would have to be its z taunt set (Taunt, Night Slash/Superpower, Brave Bird, Sucker Punch with Darkinium Z) since Taunt let it handle many physical walls like Gligar freely. Life Orb ends up killing itself pretty often even with Taunt, still usable but way harder to keep alive.

In general, pretty decent despite its flaws and being restrictive. Just ask for advice to make use the best use of it and should be able to give you sweeps from time to time (especially on the ladder, they hate honch lol).
thanks man! of course the bird enthusiast would know~

I like that you gave me an in depth answer with tips on how to use it! thanks!

Why are Slowking and Mismagius B+? I'm not saying they're bad, but I notice that they're not even close to RU usage and don't really know what their niches are. If someone could help me answering this question, that'd be great!

Very simple question. Why is this metagame so heat?! I haven't even played yet, but it just looks so fun. Oh my lawd, RU got some power this gen. I played a ton of it in Gen 6, but this isn't granpappy's metagame. Definitely giving this one a shot soon.

Why are Slowking and Mismagius B+? I'm not saying they're bad, but I notice that they're not even close to RU usage and don't really know what their niches are. If someone could help me answering this question, that'd be great!
Simple answer - Usage does not necessarily reflect viability, as good mons go under the radar for subpar mons more often than not.

As for their niches, personal opinion I feel they're more B-/B viable mons given recent metagame changes and trends, but Slowking is a solid special attacker that can absorb special hits which is a boon in a tier where many of our threats are special attackers. Pretty much has solid meta match ups, but can be overwhelmed fairly easily too. Mismagius is a solid offensive ghost option that with very good speed, access to nasty plot and a range of support moves, that when paired with Ghostium Z to give it extra "Oomph" to inflict a one turn damage dealer and decent enough match ups against some of our more passive pokemon means it can honestly be a decent influence in a match.

Very simple question. Why is this metagame so heat?! I haven't even played yet, but it just looks so fun. Oh my lawd, RU got some power this gen. I played a ton of it in Gen 6, but this isn't granpappy's metagame. Definitely giving this one a shot soon.
RU is the best tier every generation since gen 5 obviously, tho Gen 5 UU was also fire. But, to give a real answer I'd go with that there's actually something that works for everyone in this tier. Power creeps have helped both offensive and defensive teams to give players overwhelming attackers or bulky ass tanks. As well while we have several obvious meta defining mons, you really aren't forced to run "X top mon" or "Counter to X top mon" on every team unlike the higher metagames, you just need to have solid enough answers to threats, which there are plenty of strategies to be innovated or tested out in.

Simple question: Why did Raikou recently drop from UU to RU, while Stakataka didn't?
Simply put, competition. Mega Mancectric was faster, had a more useful ability and a better movepool. Raikou's only real niche over it was Calm Mind and not filling the mega slot. Then Zeraora dropped from OU into UU, and Raikou's niche was gone. Zeraora was much quicker, had a better movepool, and could hit hard from either side. All Raikou could really do was CM + Z crystal, which was extremely niche. Between those two mons, Raikou had very little to offer.

Honestly can't speak for Stakataka, although I hear it's a decent late game cleaner with Trick Room.

Hey I needed some advice with this team cause im not the most experienced with RU
Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Nidoqueen @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Bewear @ Normalium Z
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)