SM OU Next Best Thing, Week 16: Excadrill

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Week 5: Tapu Fini
:sm/tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini is one of this tier's best defensive glues and also protects team mates from status with its Misty Terrain. Your goal this week is to post creative and viable movesets for Tapu Koko that are NOT listed as sample sets in its SmogDex entry. You have 4 days from now to post sets, after which the voting phaze will begin.
Deadline: December 24, 11:30PM, GMT + 5:30.

Last edited:

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
This is my favourite set I have ever used in SM OU. I love this thing so much.

Z-Haze Tapu Fini

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 56 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Haze
- Taunt

Haze is an interesting option to run on Tapu Fini in place of Defog on teams that already have hazard removal and aren't clamouring for more, even more so if you decide to run Icium Z-Haze on top of that. Tapu Fini's excellent defensive typing grants it a favourable matchup against even monsters like Volcarona and Victini, which if they're allowed to set up too much can wreak havoc on pretty much any team archetype, and you're able to if not eliminate entirely then severely weaken and Haze away any boosts they may have accumulated.

Running Icium-Z here has a couple of interesting benefits to Fini's case. Firstly, Z-Haze restores all of the user's HP, giving you a one-time health potion boost that you can use to stick around a fair amount longer. Think of it a little bit like Super Berry Rotom-W, just.. better. Secondly, running a Z-Crystal means that Tapu Fini is much less bothered by Knock Off from the likes of Tornadus-T, Chansey, etc, so you absolutely don't need a Knock Off sponge somewhere on your own team either. When the opponent sees that Fini is running a Z-Crystal, they're also likely to play much more cautiously, being unsure which Z-move you're likely to go for, which only gives you more time to spam Nature's Madness to your heart's content.

Nature's Madness is chosen on this set because this is the type of set that absolutely excels at switching in and singlehandedly eliminating defensive threats like Chansey and Toxapex while being immune to status and not fearing Knock Off either, making it almost the perfect stallbreaker. You can even dump Scald for Whirlpool if you really want to cancel Chansey and the rest of the blobs to hell and back, but I tend to prefer the burn chance (and I'm allergic to actually hitting a Whirlpool ever ;-; ). Dumping Moonblast here for Madness means we're also totally OK to lose the 16 Def Fini normally runs on defensive variants to sponge Hawlucha's Acrobatics.

vs Victini
+1 252 SpA Victini Stored Power (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 169-201 (49.2 - 58.6%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
So you switch in, click Z-Haze as they go for Stored Power, then you sit in front of it and spam Scald, because the next best move once their boosts are gone is
252 SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 47-56 (13.7 - 16.3%) -- possible 7HKO

vs Volcarona (the Bulky QD Set specifically)
+1 0 SpA Volcarona Savage Spin-Out (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 126-149 (36.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 SpA Volcarona Savage Spin-Out (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 168-198 (48.9 - 57.7%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
+3 0 SpA Volcarona Savage Spin-Out (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 210-248 (61.2 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even at +3 Volc isn't a big deal, as long as you click Z-Haze your first turn in.

vs Kommo-O (Clangorous Soulblaze)
+1 252 Atk Kommo-o Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 206-244 (60 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
In the worst case scenario, it's already boosted, however your Fairy typing allows you to come in basically for free vs it and Z-Haze away all of its boosts. Even if you run into the Substitute + Belly Drum set, you're fine as long as you switch in the moment you see Substitute. Most Kommo-O will go for Belly Drum, knowing they're safe behind a sub. You proceed to underspeed and eliminate their attack boost, including the Salac Berry boost they have.

vs Manaphy
+6 240+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini in Rain: 276-326 (80.4 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I reckon this speaks volumes about Tapu Fini's overall bulk. With Taunt and Nature's Madness you can utterly cancel it, and Z-Haze gives you enough staying power to take the 1v1. You might need to force them to spend their Z-Move because otherwise you will die, but that isn't too difficult, usually.

vs Mega Charizard X
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 169-200 (49.2 - 58.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 225-266 (65.5 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 282-332 (82.2 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It has to get to +3 to really be a danger, but I suggest getting in as soon as possible.

vs Clefable
+6 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 271-319 (79 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Ideally, you shouldn't let Clefable get up to +6, but even if it does, Fini just shrugs it off, then Nature's Madness + Taunt will seal the deal.

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 127-151 (37 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
12 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 81-96 (32.2 - 38.2%) -- 95.4% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 105-124 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- 53.8% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 79-93 (23 - 27.1%) -- 57.9% chance to 4HKO
12 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 55-66 (19.2 - 23.1%) -- possible 5HKO
No Moonblast makes the Greninja matchup a little shaky, but oftentimes you'll have some kind of fast Scarfer, maybe Landorus or Kartana as a backup check if Fini dies.

252+ SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Tapu Fini: 316-372 (92.1 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
12 SpA Tapu Fini Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 162-192 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Even Bloom Doom is a roll, and you outspeed it anyway.

Please give this a go, it's my absolute favourite thing in possibly all of SM and it's a super unexpected and fun option for teams that don't have a Z-move user and need a blanket special check. Best of luck to all the other entrants!

:D

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Since only 1 set has been posted so far, the deadline is now extended to 11:30PM 26th December 2023 GMT + 5:30.

:sitrus-berry:Fast Sitrus Berry Fini:sitrus berry:

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 32 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Surf

Description:
Timid Tapu Fini is a set I have been a big advocate of in recent times, taking great advantage of the propensity of mons to cut speed in order to better content with the modern metagame (i.e. the Modest Tran creep tier), enhancing its capabilities as a disruptor by outspeeding a large portion of defensive pivots. However, one of the biggest issues with this set is the frailty that follows from detracting its all important bulk investment: although Fini is generally able to avoid the majority of 2hkos at full by virtue of its natural bulk and typing, it often has to contend with hazards; potentially leaving it in KO range with just a single switch-in. Enter Sitrus Berry: while traditionally outclassed by Wiki Berry and its variations by virtue of their higher health yield, the far more immediate burst recovery from Sitrus Berry gives Fini the necessary health yield to consistently to deal with important offensive threats it would otherwise would struggle to check. For example, picture this scenario:
  1. MLop enters the field aiming to revenge kill a frail breaker; rocks are on both sides of the field and Fini is benched at full health
  2. Tapu Fini switches in, taking rocks damage and the incoming Frustration/Return
  3. Fini's health then falls under 50% and Sitrus Berry procs, healing 25%
  4. Tapu Fini is now out of range of the next Frustration/Return, threatening Mega Lopunny with a Moonblast
  5. You are now able to either force a switch, or heavily damage or outright KO the opposing Mega Lopunny
  6. Fini is then left at a range where it can absorb another round of rocks in tandem with another Frustration/Return, allowing it switch-in and check MLop during the late game
While niche, I've had a lot of success with particular set, the addition of Sitrus crucially circumvents the fragility of faster versions of Fini, adding an extra dimension to its support capabilities as a glue. Try it out, its a set I've had a lot of success with and you'll be pleasantly surprised once you become accustomed to its quirks.

SItrus Go Brrrr:
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Return vs. 248 HP / 92 Def Tapu Fini: 141-166 (41.1 - 48.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini in Rain: 137-162 (39.9 - 47.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Following a round of rocks, these attacks guarantee a proc of the Sitrus Berry, leaving Fini out of 2HKO range. Note how the 25% recovery of Sitrus always leaves Fini with enough HP to take a second round of rocks and still survive.

Important Misc. Calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96 Def Tapu Fini: 255-300 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
32 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 36 SpD Hawlucha: 282-332 (87.8 - 103.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Basically fuck Lucha lol.

Merry Christmas, peace.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Submissions for Week 5 are now closed. Voting is now open!

The submissions are:
1. Z-Haze by Clematis
2. Fast Sitrus Berry by Proftreez

Deadline: 11:30 PM 29th December 2023

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Week 6: Tapu Lele
:sm/tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele is one of this tier's best offensive threats thanks to its high special attack and Psychic Terrain boosting its psychic attacks to astromical levels. Your goal this week is to post creative and viable movesets for Tapu Lele that are NOT listed as sample sets in its SmogDex entry. You have 4 days from now to post sets, after which the voting phaze will begin.
Deadline: 3rd January 2024 11:30PM, GMT + 5:30.

Last edited:

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Reserving Mind Plate

The Anti-Stall (and anti-lots of other things)
(Modest Mind Plate Taunt Tapu Lele)

Tapu Lele @ Mind Plate
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Recently, I've been enjoying this set a lot. Mind Plate along with a Modest nature on Tapu Lele is an excellent option to bluff Choice Specs sets, considering that your Psyshock damage will be just about the same on both. However, this one trades in more power on Moonblast and Hidden Power for the ability to switch moves, meaning you can have a hilarious amount of fun smacking Greninjas and Sableyes on the switch as they come in against your presumably Choice-locked Psyshock. Modest Lele in general is something I really like, you can hit a fair few ranges that Timid sets just fail to.

However, I've decided to dump the Psychic you might normally find here in favour of Taunt, thus turning this into pretty much the ultimate stallbreaker, as Lele's raw damage output is so ludicrously high you can do an enormous amount of damage to a lot of common Pokemon you'll run into when against this archetype. Taunt allows you to utterly shut down Stall monsters such as Chansey, Toxapex, and Skarmory, which you can then dispose of with the appropriate coverage move. Even vs non-stall archetypes, Lele tends to invite in much bulkier mons which you can often temporarily incapacitate on the switch by removing their ability to click, for example, Thunder Wave or a recovery move as they predict your switch.

This set does struggle with bulky Steel-types more than Specs, but I feel the extra utility from Taunt and being able to pick your move is very useful. It is also slower than Timid Lele due to running Modest to bluff Specs, but we're still at max speed EVs to beat as many things as possible. You're very much free to dump some Speed and invest into bulk if you want, but especially on this set you want to hit first. Also, Focus Blast is a hundred percent viable, but I like to have a safer time vs Mega Scizor and Skarm.

252+ SpA Mind Plate Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 342-403 (48.6 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Mind Plate Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable in Psychic Terrain: 228-268 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mind Plate Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 112 Def Volcarona in Psychic Terrain: 313-370 (83.9 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mind Plate Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex in Psychic Terrain: 356-422 (117.1 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mind Plate Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Psychic Terrain: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 224-266 (73.9 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 372-440 (95.1 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 240-284 (66.1 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 194-230 (56.8 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 452-534 (158.5 - 187.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Scizor-Mega: 228-272 (66.4 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 192-228 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 192-228 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados-Mega: 270-320 (81.5 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Have fun!

Last edited:
Assault Vest Tapu Lele

:sm/tapu-lele:

Tapu Lele @ Assault Vest
D7B5F2B3-6E50-4E47-852D-CB08C675B0DE.png

EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Focus Blast
- Nature's Madness / Thunderbolt

This is a set I've seen on a few different team comps, all of which were varying shades of hyper offense (I believe Will of Fire made the first team I saw it on at a tournament level.) I've since used it quite a bit on the ladder and find it extremely effective on the right teams.

Usage Details
Assault Vest allows Tapu Lele to facilitate all out offense teams by giving them a pivot into various special attackers. It also perhaps more importantly lets them cheat certain defensive resistances which commonly restricts hyper offense in the tier by affording them an out vs special setup sweepers and fast threats.

An example of its ability to pivot is how the EV spread above guarantees you take under 50% from even notoriously strong moves like Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump and Either of Psychic/Moonblast from opposing specs Lele. These are somewhat tenuous due to them requiring rocks not being up, but I use them merely as an example of the extent to which this thing can take a hit.

Even stronger examples can be shown when factoring this set's ability to be an out. It lives hits like +1 Savage Spin Out from Volcarona and Ash Greninja Hydro Pump in the rain when healthy, feats that are staggering for neutral hits from a mon that still packs as much of a wallop as this does. Having this much HP investment also allows you to take some very surprising physical hits as well.

That is why I believe this set to be as strong as it is. It effectively allows a playstyle which historically is boxed into a corner when finding defensive counterplay to have offensive versatility in what is otherwise a slot that would go to a poke with much less immediate power. Basically, think of it as a lightweight shield that works as a dangerous weapon simultaneously. Do however note that it should usually only be used with other strong breakers like Kyurem-Black, Mega Mawile or mons of similar offensive caliber. It's a very strong supplement to offense, but not quite cut out for a carry job like Calm Mind or Specs Lele.

Spread Details
As you can see, I listed a lot of different moves. I think these are all viable and comes down to preference/which defensive mons your hyper offense team needs to apply more pressure to. I will note, I STRONGLY prefer psyshock to psychic for doing massive damage to Volcarona and substantially more to common Lele responses.

Lastly, you can definitely play with EVs on this. I opt for more bulk while outspeeding usual Manaphy spread and a number of middling mons in the 220-230 range, but you can make it faster than mons like neutral nature Heatran/Bisharp if you feel your team prefers it.

ban lele lol

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Tapunium-Z 3 attacks
Tapu Lele @ Tapunium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Focus Blast
- Nature's Madness
Tapunium Z deals 75% damage to anything it hits, which is useful for crippling specially defensive Steel-types like Celesteela, Assault Vest Magearna, Heatran, Ferrothorn etc. This set works similarly to CM + FightZ but is more effective at weakening Sp.Def Steel-types. Psyshock and Moonblast are self-explanatory STAB. Hidden Power [Fire] hits most Steel-types for super-effectoive damage, Focus Blast can also be used over it to hit Heatran harder. This set pairs well with teammates that appreciate Steel types being weakened such as Mega Alakazam and Kartana.

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Submissions are now closed. Voting for Week 6 is now up!

The submissions are:
1. Taunt Mind Plate 3 attacks Modest by Clematis
2. Assault Vest by PapaMax
3. Tapunium-Z by Cdijk16

Deadline: 11:30PM 6th January 2024

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Week 7: Victini
:sm/victini:
Victini is a good offensive pokemon in OU thanks to its high power STAB in V-Create, powerful coverage in Bolt Strike and access to U-Turn makes it a good Scarf or Band user in OU. It can also be a very scary late game sweeper with Z-Celebrate. Your goal this week is to post creative and viable movesets for Victini that are NOT listed as sample sets in its SmogDex entry. You have 4 days from now to post sets, after which the voting phase will begin.
Deadline: 11th January 2024 11:30PM, GMT + 5:30.

Expert Belt Victini
:sm/victini:
Victini @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty/Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break
- Energy Ball

Mixed Victini is very effective in SM because it hits a large number of Pokémon and serves as a surprise factor against common switch-ins. V-create is the standard move on Victini to target Pokémon like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and others. Bolt Strike + Expert Belt can deal significant damage to Pokémon such as Toxapex and Tapu Fini that might switch in. Brick Break pairs well with Expert Belt, allowing you to lure in Pokémon like Heatran and Hydreigon and deal a lot of damage or possibly secure a KO. Lastly, Energy Ball can be used to OHKO Mega Swampert and Gastrodon primarily, while also hitting Rotom-Wash. Mega Swampert is one of Victini's main switch-ins, so using Energy Ball helps eliminate it from play.

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Z-Glaciate Victini!

Victini @ Icium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 132 HP / 164 SpA / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Glaciate
- Final Gambit

I first discovered this set a few months ago, for an entirely different project in this forum, but it's since become one of my favourite lures and weird techs to use. Z-Glaciate is an interesting tech to run here for all the Ground-types that Victini baits in, and with enough investment Subzero Slammer can OHKO even max SpD Gliscor, clearing the way for a teammate to sweep. The prime targets are Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp and Kommo-O, all of which get a relatively free switchin onto Victini and all of which you can surprise and eliminate.

V-Create and U-Turn are both totally standard moves on Victini, allowing you to both pivot around (and maybe bluff a Scarf set) and also do massive damage with STAB V-create (even uninvested, this does an absolute ton to most things). Final Gambit allows you to go straight into your setup sweeper while doing massive damage to whatever is in front of it, which is very useful once you've snagged a kill with Subzero Slammer and you can maybe nab another while gaining momentum at the same time. If not, it's an excellent panic button against something like Choice Specs Tapu Lele or a boosted Serperior. Pick what you want to explode, and it explodes in front of you.

The EVs here are very specific, but it's very funny when they're useful and do what they're intended to do.
  • 164 SpA Victini Subzero Slammer (120 BP) vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 352-416 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO you always OHKO 252+ SpD Gliscor from full, in addition to every sensible variant of Landorus and Garchomp while seriously chunking Kommo-O on the switch
  • 132 HP caps out Victini at 374, one hit point more than maximum HP Volcarona at 373. This allows you to OHKO it with Final Gambit, which is a crucial stat and means you can alleviate your team's matchup vs. it that much more easily.
  • 212+ Speed allows to creep positive-natured base 95s by one point, such as Tapu Lele and Kyurem-B.
I highly recommend this. It's lots of fun :D

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Submissions for Week 7 are now closed! Voting is now open;
The submissions are:
1. Expert Belt 4 attacks by Freshhhhh
2. Z-Glaciate by Clematis
Deadline: 14th January 2023, 11:30 PM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)