Other Features Slave Labor: The Article Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LS and I want to do an article explaining what happens before the nice articles you see are released

Intro
-well youre reading the smog so you must know what it is
-this article you're reading, as well as all the others, were nurtured and cared from birth to adulthood, then released into the wild smogon campus for unsuspecting trainers to read and gain knowledge or rodanedge
-got an idea? well then lets go to the next step!

Getting Your Idea Approved
-theres a mysterious box in front of the building that hosts the AW, called Article Approvals. after you read the notes posted on the box, think. is your article going to get automatically rejected? as it says, the recurring stuff are reserved from smog staff and the few people they give permission to write them
-ok good it's not auto-reject. write up a rough draft that is legible and gives the staff an understanding of what you want to do, and post
-so you finish your class on Why Not to use NUs in Ubers class, and see that a shady man with a rotom face is telling you that your article is approved
-HOLY CAKE OMG ROFL I DID IT IM WORTH SOMETHING NO-no your not, go request access to AW

Welcome to the Workshop!
-while most stuff will get explained later, what you need to do is: post in the thread of What Are We Doing?. if it doesnt exist, wait until its posted, we havent started work yet
- ok you posted that the rotom man approves your article on whatever, what now? post the article and write it up!
-remember that although the smog is more laid back than C&C, this is a refined magazine - so much so that an image containing the iconic trollface was not allowed in the smog. maybe use that as a baseline? remember you can always ask if you have questions

Yeah, I get it, it isn't spelled that way...
-ok you wrote it, woo! now you have to update the little message at the top with a (Grammar) tag! now, two of three or four people (as of last issue) will come and make sure all the times you spelled definite as defiant(it happens more often than you think) will be corrected.
-you need 2, so don't think after one Alakazam sticker is given to you (yes we use those too!) you can move onto nice drawings

Can I have a... um... I don't know, draw what you want!
- art is nice, it beatifies the article and makes it look longer
- post in Art Assignments, and make sure you do it right, and even request your favorite artist to do it! just remember, he/she might be busy or doing other articles

Hey why does my article need coding?!
- html makes everything flow correctly on site
- only certified HTML'ers are allowed, hands off, or get approved
- jumpluff is probably doing this

The Other Tables in the Workshop
-blood sweat and tears
-WAWD
-art assignments
-html thread
-other threads

Speak up, we can't hear you!
-#thesmog, come join?
-dont be afraid to ask for help with your article
-if you can't finish your article: please tell us, it makes a lot of lives so much easier, as we can re-assign the article or push it off for next issue :)

Outro
-why are you still reading this and not submitting an idea? we can't wait to clean your blood off the floor have you work with us!

p.s. if this isn't right then tell me what i need to do because i am p sure i followed the rules and all

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not so sure of the categorization..
Regardless, I love this.

You still have to wait for 'pluff or Rotomfaceman to approve, but I'll throw my support on this one.

Hey, I think this would be pretty cool. Reminds me of the C&C series we had done before, and might make people feel braver about jumping in. I think you should probably mention the importance of committing to finishing your article in a timely fashion (because when people don't it causes incredible backend stress, which people don't realise because they don't see that it stacks up and leaves a huge pile for GP+HTML)~ You could describe how actually writing for The Smog differs from writing for C&C as well, and there's SO MUCH you could mention there -- the more relaxed tone of entertainment articles, that we allow a bunch of things that aren't allowed in C&C (abbreviations and other player-coined terms like Skymin, look in the grammar standards thread in AW), that GPers don't tend to make heavy subjective prose changes unless they dramatically improve the article because we value the community's unique voices (and thus you don't have to try to sound like an analysis, but the GP team is willing to work with you to improve your article to make it sound better overall), etc. etc. etc.

So, yeah, approving this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)