Metagame Sketchmons

Some fun gimmicks I've been putting on my team.
conkeldurr.png

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Psycho Shift
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch/Knock Off

Flame Orb burns Conkeldurr, activating Guts. You have two options. You can attack OR use Psycho Shift and burn your opponent's Pokemon then get your Burn back because of the Flame Orb. Rinse and Repeat. Really unexpected and catches the opponent off guard.

849.png
Toxtricity @ Throat Spray/Silk Scarf
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Conversion
- Overdrive
- Shift Gear

Conversion makes Toxtricity a Normal type to give STAB to Boomburst and Silk Scarf + Punk Rock is to make Boomburst even stronger. Shift Gear is to give Toxtricity some speed, although I do have a Sticky Web user on my team, so it would be better if you had one too if you were to try this out. Either way, this Toxtricity is a monster.
Tapu_Lele_SL.png

Tapu Lele @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- No Retreat
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Tapu Lele activates Psychic Terrain on switch-in and activates Psychic Seed. . Tapu Lele then uses No Retreat. Stored Power is now 140 BP and under Psychic Terrain it's 182 BP. From there, just go crazy and click Stored Power or Moonblast. Focus Miss is for Steel types obviously.

Last edited:
View attachment 340930
Toxtricity @ Silk Scarf
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Conversion
- Overdrive
- Shift Gear

Conversion makes Toxtricity a Normal type to give STAB to Boomburst and Silk Scarf + Punk Rock is to make Boomburst even stronger. Shift Gear is to give Toxtricity some speed, although I do have a Sticky Web user on my team, so it would be better if you had one too if you were to try this out. Either way, this Toxtricity is a monster.
Why not just use Nasty Plot?
The only reason why Conversion would be useful in this situation is to block ST from stealing your Shift Gear boosts and avoiding Earthquake. Otherwise, you are just crippling yourself with a one time 1.5x boost, when you could get a 2x boost, followed by 3x and 4x.
Additionaly, conversion also loses STAB on Overdrive.

Sorry for Double Posting, but I feel as though this post fits better seperately.

Sketchmons is a pretty cool Metagame. It’s different from STABmons because the restrictions of what movesets can be isn’t limited to Pokemon of a certain type or the type of their pre-evos and forms. Because of this theme, the meta is very offensive, which is by no means bad. And while we are suspecting Transform, I feel like there are still some prominent issues in the Meta.

No Retreat
Despite being 1 use while on the field, No Retreat still remains almost as problematic as ClangSoul. It is nearly universally agreed to be a problem here, and it takes little imagination as to why that is.
Now Omni-Boosts have existed since Gen 2 in the form of a 10% secondary chance on low BP and PP moves. In Gen 7, these boosts were then distributed to certain Z-moves, and besides Clanging Scales, these moves would typically be considered useless after the Omni-Boost and additionally required an item. Gen 8 then introduced No Retreat and ClangSoul, with the former being restricted to an otherwise generic fighting type with poor stats, while the latter was distributed to Kommo-o, which losts it’s signature move and can’t easily nullify the drawback with Recover clones.
What makes the Omni-Boosts before balanced was distribution and the mechanic of how they would boost a Pokemon. Ancient Power+clones had a very low chance of proc and were nearly useless otherwise. Z-HH, Z-Celebrate, Z-ToT, ect. all required a Z-crystal and an even less useful move than Ancient Power. Clanglorous Soulblaze was an Exclusive Z-move to Kommo-o, which was mediocre regularly and could be blocked by Fairy type. ClangSoul now eats 1/3rd of the user’s HP and is exclusive to a Pokemon with poor recovery and with pretty low offenses.
No Retreat normally is exclusive to a Pokemon Falinks, whose stats are extremely bad, additionally, prevents the Falinks without Shed Shell or some other specific condition. The vast majority of the time, you also can not use No Retreat more than Twice on the field (unless you are trapped by moves like Mean Look and Jaw Lock before you used No Retreat, so pretty much never).
Despite No Retreat’s flaws, No Retreat is still currently the most powerful set-up move in Sketchmons because it’s main drawback, being exclusive to a shitmon, is no longer a factor and it’s super restrictive on teambuilding, even with the downsides. Absolutely any offensive Pokemon can use this move effectively, which is bad since without the correct prep, your team loses. The only “reliable” ways to beat No Retreat is by Prankster/Disguise+Topsy Turvey/Destiny Bond/Haze/Spectral Thief, with Unaware Quagsire/Clefable, and Imposter.
Such extreme measures are also not guaranteed to work (besides Prankster Haze).
Dark types are immune to Prankster moves, so Topsy Turvey can be negated (and is borderline broken imo)
Destiny Bond can be played around with by using No Retreat again or another status move.
Spectral Thief does not hit Normal types (Not borderline broken, since it’s just a broken ass move entirely. Imagine physical Astral Barrage, which is already banned, but trades some BP for one of the best effects in the game and can bypass Sub for free).
Unaware can be ignored by Stored Power, Power Trip, Mold Breaker, or just hitting Quagsire or Clefable hard with Grass/Steel moves anyways.
And Imposter does not bypass Subs, nor does it gain the boosts Unburden will give when activated on the original Pokemon.

Anything else is dependent on the match-up. A strong priority could work against some frailer Pokemon, but not every Pokemon using No Retreat is going to fold over to a Tapu Bulu Grassy Glide or Talonflame Dragon Ascent instantly. Bulky Pokemon can tank a hit or 2 since it’s only +1 on offenses, but they can’t do much back anyways. Similar problems apply for fast threats as they rely on their coverage being able to hit hard enough past the boosted defenses. Those fast Pokemon also have to either be scarfed or really fast too since No Retreat boosts speed as well.
You can try intimidate, but that will only work against Physical Attackers without certain abilities.
Some Pokemon can also boost their stats even further, since being at full health with +1 Def/SpD and Spe can often let you Sword Dance or Nasty Plot easily.
While this Metagame may be offensive, there is no denying that near instant win buttons are not healthy, and neither is having to rely on excessive counterplay, which isn’t always reliable, to beat is not healthy.

Spectral Thief (and also Prankster+Topsy-Turvy)
Next up is Marshadow’s Signature moves and arguably the best Ghost move in the game. Surprisingly this move isn’t on people’s radar.
In my short rant earlier in this post, I briefly decribed Spectral Thief. It’s a no downside (well technically it has the same drawbacks as contact and ghost moves have), pretty strong with 90 BP, can Bypass Subs, but the kicker is it’s effect to steal the opposing Pokemon’s stats.
Being a 100% accurate 90 BP Ghost move would be already top tier enough. Providing Fighting types with a reliable perfect coverage, and physical Ghost types with a hard hitting reliable STAB is fantastic, even if Poltergeist exists (as it’s not 100% accurate and fails against itemless Pokemon). Even bypassing Sub in addition to those qualities would just be icing on the cake. What pushes Spectral Thief from excellent to broken af is its effect. To Steal a Pokemon’s stat boosts for free AND also hit the target after the boosts have been stolen.
This effect acts as a pratically better Unaware against a slower target.
Not only do you ignore their +6 Def and their +6 Atk or SpA, but you take those boosts for your own benefit on the same turn, which can include SpD and Spe as well.
This can easily lead to your team being instantly counterswept by the Spectral Thief user, where it is significantly better at doing so than Transform (as at least Spectral Thief doesn’t require you to go last and/or some thick cheeks Pokemon like Blissey or Clefable to use properly).
Spectral Thief may seem like it is neccesary for beating No Retreat, but that is just fighting Broken with Broken.
The nature of these 2 moves (and also Prankster+[sweeper stopper]) on the Metagame isn’t exacly healthy. All other set up moves have to suffer because not only is No Retreat broken itself, but it’s brokeness cause other brokeness like Spectral Thief to become neccessary and makes other set up options so much more restrictive.
Every time I’m looking at making a new team with a set up sweeper, I always have to come up with anti-Prankster and hope I can just OHKO the opposing Spectral Thief user. This also means that (besides something like Curselax), all bulky set up is virtually impossible in the tier without a ton of support you otherwise wouldn’t need.
There do exists Momentum flipping Pokemon in the main game, mainly Ditto with Imposter (sus), but at least those methods are rare, and even Imposter has pretty easy means to beat. Yeah, I know I said Normal and Dark types can beat Spectral Thief and Prankster in this post earlier, but I shouldn’t have to be using Obstagoon or Raticate-G for every time I want to set up without Momemtum being flipping or stopped entirely.

With that said, I think No Retreat and Spectral Thief deserve a ban, no question, and Prankster should be looked at after No Retreat is banned, since it’s at least more balanced than Spectral Thief.

Sorry for Double Posting, but I feel as though this post fits better seperately.

Sketchmons is a pretty cool Metagame. It’s different from STABmons because the restrictions of what movesets can be isn’t limited to Pokemon of a certain type or the type of their pre-evos and forms. Because of this theme, the meta is very offensive, which is by no means bad. And while we are suspecting Transform, I feel like there are still some prominent issues in the Meta.

No Retreat
Despite being 1 use while on the field, No Retreat still remains almost as problematic as ClangSoul. It is nearly universally agreed to be a problem here, and it takes little imagination as to why that is.
Now Omni-Boosts have existed since Gen 2 in the form of a 10% secondary chance on low BP and PP moves. In Gen 7, these boosts were then distributed to certain Z-moves, and besides Clanging Scales, these moves would typically be considered useless after the Omni-Boost and additionally required an item. Gen 8 then introduced No Retreat and ClangSoul, with the former being restricted to an otherwise generic fighting type with poor stats, while the latter was distributed to Kommo-o, which losts it’s signature move and can’t easily nullify the drawback with Recover clones.
What makes the Omni-Boosts before balanced was distribution and the mechanic of how they would boost a Pokemon. Ancient Power+clones had a very low chance of proc and were nearly useless otherwise. Z-HH, Z-Celebrate, Z-ToT, ect. all required a Z-crystal and an even less useful move than Ancient Power. Clanglorous Soulblaze was an Exclusive Z-move to Kommo-o, which was mediocre regularly and could be blocked by Fairy type. ClangSoul now eats 1/3rd of the user’s HP and is exclusive to a Pokemon with poor recovery and with pretty low offenses.
No Retreat normally is exclusive to a Pokemon Falinks, whose stats are extremely bad, additionally, prevents the Falinks without Shed Shell or some other specific condition. The vast majority of the time, you also can not use No Retreat more than Twice on the field (unless you are trapped by moves like Mean Look and Jaw Lock before you used No Retreat, so pretty much never).
Despite No Retreat’s flaws, No Retreat is still currently the most powerful set-up move in Sketchmons because it’s main drawback, being exclusive to a shitmon, is no longer a factor and it’s super restrictive on teambuilding, even with the downsides. Absolutely any offensive Pokemon can use this move effectively, which is bad since without the correct prep, your team loses. The only “reliable” ways to beat No Retreat is by Prankster/Disguise+Topsy Turvey/Destiny Bond/Haze/Spectral Thief, with Unaware Quagsire/Clefable, and Imposter.
Dark types are immune to Prankster moves, so Topsy Turvey can be negated (and is borderline broken imo)
Destiny Bond can be played around with by using No Retreat again or another status move.
Spectral Thief does not hit Normal types (Not borderline broken, since it’s just a broken ass move entirely. Imagine physical Astral Barrage, which is already banned, but trades some BP for one of the best effects in the game and can bypass Sub for free).
Unaware can be ignored by Stored Power, Power Trip, Mold Breaker, or just hitting Quagsire or Clefable hard with Grass/Steel moves anyways.
And Imposter does not bypass Subs, nor does it gain the boosts Unburden will give when activated on the original Pokemon.

Anything else is dependent on the match-up. A strong priority could work against some frailer Pokemon, but not every Pokemon using No Retreat is going to fold over to a Tapu Bulu Grassy Glide or Talonflame Dragon Ascent instantly. Bulky Pokemon can tank a hit or 2 since it’s only +1 on offenses, but they can’t do much back anyways. Similar problems apply for fast threats as they rely on their coverage being able to hit hard enough past the boosted defenses. Those fast Pokemon also have to either be scarfed or really fast too since No Retreat boosts speed as well.
You can try intimidate, but that will only work against Physical Attackers without certain abilities.
Some Pokemon can also boost their stats even further, since being at full health with +1 Def/SpD and Spe can often let you Sword Dance or Nasty Plot easily.
While this Metagame may be offensive, there is no denying that near instant win buttons are not healthy, and neither is having to rely on excessive counterplay, which isn’t always reliable, to beat is not healthy.

Next up is Marshadow’s Signature moves and arguably the best Ghost move in the game. Surprisingly this move isn’t on people’s radar.
In my short rant earlier in this post, I briefly decribed Spectral Thief. It’s a no downside (well technically it has the same drawbacks as contact and ghost moves have), pretty strong with 90 BP, can Bypass Subs, but the kicker is it’s effect to steal the opposing Pokemon’s stats.
Being a 100% accurate 90 BP Ghost move would be already top tier enough. Providing Fighting types with a reliable perfect coverage, and physical Ghost types with a hard hitting reliable STAB is fantastic, even if Poltergeist exists (as it’s not 100% accurate and fails against itemless Pokemon). Even bypassing Sub in addition to those qualities would just be icing on the cake. What pushes Spectral Thief from excellent to broken af is its effect. To Steal a Pokemon’s stat boosts for free AND also hit the target after the boosts have been stolen.
Not only do you ignore their +6 Def and their +6 Atk or SpA, but you take those boosts for your own benefit on the same turn, which can include SpD and Spe as well.
This can easily lead to your team being instantly counterswept by the Spectral Thief user, where it is significantly better at doing so than Transform (as at least Spectral Thief doesn’t require you to go last and/or some thick cheeks Pokemon like Blissey or Clefable to use properly).
Spectral Thief may seem like it is neccesary for beating No Retreat, but that is just fighting Broken with Broken.
The nature of these 2 moves (and also Prankster+[sweeper stopper]) on the Metagame isn’t exacly healthy. All other set up moves have to suffer because not only is No Retreat broken itself, but it’s brokeness cause other brokeness like Spectral Thief to become neccessary and makes other set up options so much more restrictive.
Every time I’m looking at making a new team with a set up sweeper, I always have to come up with anti-Prankster and hope I can just OHKO the opposing Spectral Thief user. This also means that (besides something like Curselax), all bulky set up is virtually impossible in the tier without a ton of support you otherwise wouldn’t need.
There do exists Momentum flipping Pokemon in the main game, mainly Ditto with Imposter (sus), but at least those methods are rare, and even Imposter has pretty easy means to beat. Yeah, I know I said Normal and Dark types can beat Spectral Thief and Prankster in this post earlier, but I shouldn’t have to be using Obstagoon or Raticate-G for every time I want to set up without Momemtum being flipping or stopped entirely.

With that said, I think No Retreat and Spectral Thief deserve a ban, no question, and Prankster should be looked at after No Retreat is banned, since it’s at least more balanced than Spectral Thief.
Krookodile @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- No Retreat
- Power Trip
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake

Yea no retreat deserves a ban, just fought Somoene using a set like this and boy was it nice to play with.

Why not just use Nasty Plot?
The only reason why Conversion would be useful in this situation is to block ST from stealing your Shift Gear boosts and avoiding Earthquake. Otherwise, you are just crippling yourself with a one time 1.5x boost, when you could get a 2x boost, followed by 3x and 4x.
Additionaly, conversion also loses STAB on Overdrive.
That's true but as much as I enjoy doing MASSIVE damage, I love using unconventional sets. Like, the reason I would ever run a Special Lando-T is for the unexpected factor even if Physical Lando-T or Special Lando-I would do heavier damage.

Some fun gimmicks I've been putting on my team.
View attachment 340929
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Psycho Shift
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch/Knock Off

Flame Orb burns Conkeldurr, activating Guts. You have two options. You can attack OR use Psycho Shift and burn your opponent's Pokemon then get your Burn back because of the Flame Orb. Rinse and Repeat. Really unexpected and catches the opponent off guard.

View attachment 340930
Toxicity @ Throat Spray/Silk Scarf
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Conversion
- Overdrive
- Shift Gear

View attachment 340934
Tapu Lele @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- No Retreat
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Tapu Lele activates Psychic Terrain on switch-in and activates Psychic Seed. . Tapu Lele then uses No Retreat. Stored Power is now 140 BP and under Psychic Terrain it's 182 BP. From there, just go crazy and click Stored Power or Moonblast. Focus Miss is for Steel types obviously.
Do you have any teams where this works? These sets look pretty cool but I can never get them to put in a lot of work in-game.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

No Retreat

The main argument i see for keeping spectral thief and other forms of anti setup is that, even post NR ban, a lot of strong scary setup mons are gonna be running around in the meta. A lot of scary pokemon have now access to scary setup options such as Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and Dragon Dance and a lot others who already had such kinds of moves now have access to new coverage moves to send their threat level into 11.

While the momentum flipping potential of spectral is definetly insane, using it to countersweep can be sometimes tough. While Spec's 90 bp might be enough for a STAB move, it can feel weak for a coverage move in neutral targets, so sometimes the fast spectral thief user might risk a hit, sometimes even when it steals physical boosts. Although the hit is always unboosted, its still a hit from an offensive mon, which might kill you. With pult gone, physical ghosts options are barren, the only two decent being Mimikyu and Blacephalon, Both of which are huge commitments to use (mimikyu is subpar after disguise bursts, Blacephalon needs to run a physical set with its non existent physical movepool and both cant switch at all). Lastly, you can use defensive mons, but they lack the countersweep potential. Prankster Topsy Turvy has similar issues to offensive ghosts in that most of them can be subpar, barring a few like Klefki and Grimmsnarl, which still arent amazing pokemon

Although, even with this limitations, both methods invalidate almost every form of fat setup due to those kinds of sweepers not being very fast nor being inmediatly threatening. This will be true even if we ban both; haze will still be on various mons and if we ban haze then phazing such as whirlwind and the such will take its place. It is worth noting however that unlike the other methods, spectral turns the setup into a liability.

Just another day in the OM

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash / White Herb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surging Strikes
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge

Barbarnacle STAB surging strikes + sniper works absolutely amazing because of the boosted crit, not to mention barbarnacle got that sweet shell smash which gives him more of everything tho he still struggles with grassy glide bulu, ferrothorn, and tankchomp but once you get rid of those it's just pure critical fun

Just another day in the OM

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash / White Herb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surging Strikes
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge

Barbarnacle STAB surging strikes + sniper works absolutely amazing because of the boosted crit, not to mention barbarnacle got that sweet shell smash which gives him more of everything tho he still struggles with grassy glide bulu, ferrothorn, and tankchomp but once you get rid of those it's just pure critical fun
i posted this set a while ago lol

Been having a lot of fun with a team built around switches and hazard removal. I wouldn't call this team amazing by any means (maxxed out about 1300) but it's pretty fun to play with and try to maneuver yourself into a winning position. As a disclaimer I love focus sash, if you don't like it you'll probably hate this team.

The general idea is to start with one of your pivots, usually Scizor, then predict switches or hit them with STAB when possible. If they get hazards on the field, bring in Court Change Leipard (or some other prankster) to clear your side. Destiny Bond Klefki is here to deal with any problematic mons, as a nice dragon immunity, and secondary hazard removal. Focus sash is on nearly everyone because it allows you to pivot and take hits for free. Because nearly everyone has priority and is pretty quick, you can pivot into most attacks and hit back with a super effective move or another pivot to regain momentum. It's not uncommon for Scizor and Baraskewda to spend nearly the entire game at 1hp, hence the importance of hazard removal.

As far as adjustment to the team go. I think you could switch out Scyther and Thundurus for whatever coverage you need and it would be fine. This team struggles hard vs regenerator & bulky teams, especially rocky helmet Tangrowth.

Other common problem mons:
  • Melmetal: Really bulky and sometimes takes 3 hits to kill. Can two shot most of the team.
  • Zapdos: Static is scary with all the multi hit moves and contact moves. Scyther OHKOs it, but can get paralyzed in the process. Also Scyther is the easiest mon to switch in on.
  • Urshifu Rapid: Dragon Dance surging strikes will sweep if Klefki is dead
  • Garchomp: Rough Skin is problematic because of all the sashes and contact moves. I try to kill it with Destiny Bond Klefki usually.
  • Tapu Fini: Can't safely bring Thundurus in until ground types are gone. Checks the rest of the team
  • Tapu Lele: Psychic terrain can be dangerous. Lele isn't really the problem since the entire team can pretty much OHKO it.
  • Tapu Bulu: Hard counters Barraskewda and can be dangerous late game if sashes are down. Fortunately Scyther and Scizor almost demand switches from it.
  • Tapu Koko: Faster than Barraskewda and takes 3 hits from Scizor's Bullet Punch. Have to wear it down a bit and play around it. Volt Switch is also dangerous.

In all, the fun lies in playing very aggressively and making good predictions. Against better players this team will 100% struggle.

Scizor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pyro Ball
- Dual Wingbeat

Barraskewda @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet

Thundurus (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Punch
- Dragon Ascent
- Bulk Up

Klefki @ Lagging Tail
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Defog
- Destiny Bond
- Foul Play

Scyther @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Dual Wingbeat
- Triple Axel
- Quick Attack

Liepard @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Court Change
- Encore
- U-turn

Notes:
Scizor - Bolt Strike was something else I toyed with, but the fire coverage is just so great for steel types. OHKO Ferrothorn is nice.
Barraskewda - get's walled easy but not many good coverage options.
Thundurus- Mostly here for electric coverage plus good speed. Bolt strike might be the move.
Scyther - Plenty of other options out there. I like that it gets uturn naturally so I can put something silly on.
Klefki - Lagging tail ensures it moves last after a destiny bond
Liepard - could easily switch with another prankster mon. Uturn almost never used.

Last edited:
Turtonator is one of my favorite mons and I know he's a trash mon with a dumb face but I still love him, So I tried variant sets on him but I dont know if there are still flaws would be a huge help if you guys point it out

Utility:

Turtonator @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic / Will o wisp
- Strength Sap / Recover
- Flamethrower/ Draco meteor / Scorching sand

Basically this set is for hazard control and some utility, 252 Hp and def so he can act a straight forward physical wall, strenght sap is to ensure turtonator got that sweet recovery and physical damage reduction(Unless defiant), Rapid spin + heavy duty boots ensures turtonator can control hazards much precise (tried with leftovers it just doesnt work that well), Toxic is pretty much stalling Things out that he can't beat and Flamethrower/Draco meteor is just for finishing some pokes off.

BodyPress:
Turtonator @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Flamethrower/ Draco Meteor/ Scorching sand
- Strength Sap/Recover

Body press set just one of those common turtonator gimmicks but it actually works pretty nice since he now have access to a recovery move with his Gigantic Defense stat also Having Fire typing give him that will o wisp immunity which is nice, 252 Hp and spdef so he can have less worries on spatk mons while setting up. Iron defense gives the Turtle a huge boost on both power and defense so that body press can deal much damage as possible, strength sap is for recovery and damage reduction, and 4th slot is just for dealing some ghost type mons in case you face one.

Calm mind:
Turtonator @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor / Scorhing sand
- Substitute

Turtonator + Calm mind = bulky sweeper.
Just the typical calm mind + sub wherein sub provides Turtonator free undamaged set up, scorhing sand is for dealing with toxapex, flamethrower is for STAB and left overs so that he can have some decent source of recovery 252 Hp and spatk so he can fully utilize his bulkyness

Pivot Spinner:
Turtonator @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Parting Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

Pivot spinner set, just dive in out anytime you want, he works well as a pivot somethimes
only because its easy to bait percipice blades users like garchomp and gain back momentum, I somethimes pair it with spectral thief mimikyu or topsy turvy Klefki so that I can threaten set up mons easily, Rapid spin again offers hazard control and the rest are for STAB coverage

Skill Swap
Turtonator @ Leftovers / Heavy duty boots
Modest Nature
- Rapid spin/ Toxic
- Skill Swap
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

Shell armor is a fairly decent ability but only if its on the right mon like turtonator which gives him niche' because of his crit immunity, but shell armor can also be a aggresive ability with skill swap, This mon is just a really good bait skill swapped lando's intmidate a lot of times, Garchomps rough skin somethimes if I feel like not pressing draco meteor and finally Chancer's natural cure which gives me stall immunity since turtonator mostly relies on his special attack stat luring the pink blob in for a skill swap.

Basically those are the variants feel free to improve it or something so I can use the turtle more often or if I missed some sets just reply or something.

tenor (1).gif

Last edited:
VR Nom post. yes I know its beta but whatever this is fun.

Rises

:mimikyu: C ->B- or B (when u add b-)
I think its criminally underacted as while its a mediocre sweeper it has a fun defensive niche to go along with it as a spin blocker and it makes opponents think twice before they set up simply with its presence. And in a tier full of powerful set up sweepers, I think that's a really good niche. Not to mention it has a niche as a almost always guaranteed TR setter, and can run powerful surprise coverage such as wood hammer for hitting quag, or drain punching a mid healthy steel that they were keeping to stop a mimikyu sweep. Also u can completely forgo spectheif but can still make opponents question setting up in fear of it. It's weakness lies in having below average offenive stats, but I think of it as an offensive mon with a solid defensive niche making it stand out against other sweepers.

:Chansey: B -> A Haha make stronger version of you go brr. In all seriousness, its basically bulkier Blissey with a rocks and knock off weakness which imo balance them out. Also deserves a nom because eviolite transformed version of you is so much tankier then regular you.

regular: 252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex in Harsh Sunshine: 233-274 (76.6 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
with chansey: 252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Toxapex in Harsh Sunshine: 156-184 (22.1 - 26.1%) -- 8.7% chance to 4HKO
with blissey: 252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mareanie in Harsh Sunshine: 233-275 (32.6 - 38.5%) -- 98.7% chance to 3HKO
(i used mareaine for the second calc so that eviolite would work for it)

:Heatran: B-> A I think the reason this is B is because of its healing set but please, please do not underestimate this menace. Its stall breaking is astronomical when adopting apple acid as it basically forces walls out not allowing them to heal back or with magma storm, completely removes them from the face of the earth. Its icebeam set is also funny because it nukes chomp, one of its usual counters, and lando a mon that is often used as a mid ground when a mon is forced out. Imo its shore up set is not great, but its stall breaking sets are just so damn stronk.

:Moltres-Galar: C-> B Great ghost resist and amazing against bulkier builds. It may not be as great as its -come on now basiccaly cousin- Torn, but its ghost resist , better speacil bulk, and beserk for extra breaking power give it a very soild nich over torn in my opinion.

Drops

:Clefable: A->B Im Soeey but a great ability and movepool is not making up for 482 bst. A lot of times when i play against it, i can easily just break it because a lot of mons dont even need the power boosts to ram this shit over. 73 defense is just dudu butt. The mind blown set is nice i admit as a bulky breaker but, feel like there are better choices.

I may come back to add more, but I'm feeling lazy rn so ima stop but eh who knows tho no promises

:chansey: #Bansey :blissey: (ban Blissey too it's basically the same thing)

We're at the point in the meta where we're starting to figure some stuff out, and one thing that's clear is that Chansey is massively, massively broken.

Chansey is almost always worth slotting onto your team unless you are running pure HO. The reason why is simple: it is the single best blanket special wall in the game. It can live any unboosted special hit with ease and gain momentum with Teleport or use any of its other 10,000 utility options. The Sketching mechanic helps it more than it hurts it, giving it the ability to pick and choose which of its would-be counters are actually not counters at all.

Okay, it does the momentum-grabbing thing in regular metas too and pisses people off there, but it isn't broken in OU. What makes it more problematic in Sketchmons?

Chansey is in a unique position as the only pokemon in the game that does not care about the base power of your moves. You can be a Choice Specs mon with 120 base SpA using a 150 base power STAB move and fail to 3HKO. Chansey also does not care about your coverage — it's only weak to Fighting, and there are no reliable Fighting-type special moves unless your name is Keldeo. Chansey is able to wall the roided-up mons in Sketchmons as if they were mere OU mons; no other defensive pokemon has that luxury.
Why do I think the ability to sketch a move helps Chansey more than it helps special attackers? Let's look at a standard Chansey set so we can see what we're dealing with exactly:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic / Teleport
- [ANYTHING]

Normally, the way you beat Chansey with a special attacker is by doing one of a few things. You can be immune to Toxic and set up on it (Gengar); you can be immune to Seismic Toss or have 101 HP subs and set up on it (Suicune), you can trap it with a select few lures (Heatran), or you can try to not care about Toxic and Seismic and gain momentum on it in some other way (Torn-T).

The thing is, Chansey has options for all of those mons. Parting Shot is probably the single biggest way that Chansey gains momentum while canceling boosts and evading trappers. Another option for canceling boosts is Spectral Thief, which also hits through Subs and bypasses Taunt. Transform is notoriously difficult to deal with for reasons discussed in this thread, but another thing that Transform does exceptionally well is punish Regen users by giving Chansey itself free recovery.

Other viable options are Whirlwind, Haze, Knock Off, U-Turn, etc. The point is clear, though, that your chances for beating Chansey, even as a mon tailor-made to circumvent it, are reliant on whatever Chansey's sketched move is, which puts the power in the Chansey holder's hand.
I'm not saying that Chansey is unbeatable — it is indeed beatable by special attackers with specific counterplay. Mons like Keldeo and Tapu Lele that can hit it from the physical side can chunk it, although both of these mons need to be running Choice Specs to get the OHKO/2HKO, respectively. Trick is another option to cripple Chansey for the match. Indeed, the most successful teams in the meta use both of these strategies already — note the presence of Chansey on both teams.

My argument is that Chansey offers too much role compression. It provides too much insurance against too wide a variety of special attackers, and it gains momentum too easily. If your team can't prevent Chansey from Teleporting all over you, it will beat you. Getting a high ELO on the ladder means having the most reliable counters to Chansey, and that is a clear sign of a broken pokemon.

I believe that the meta would only improve with the removal of Chansey. Special walls will of course continue to exist after a Chansey ban, but they won't be blanket walls to the same extent that Chansey is. Nor should they be — having a wall this reliable in a metagame so chaotic, a wall that shrugs off the strongest attacks in the game and doesn't care about coverage options, is a sign that the balance is not right. Chansey should be banned.

Disclaimer: Everything I said above applies to Blissey too; to bring balance to the metagame, both need to be banned.

Last edited:
1621929767781.png

Took me a while to get to 1500s because the ladder takes so long to put me into a match and I forget and afk all the time. Stall is a valid playstyle and is truely rising!

Sets:
I'd like to recommend some extremely powerful yet very underrated sets:
1621932307155.png

Melmetal @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shore Up
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Toxic

Melmetal has an amazing natural physical bulk 135/143 as well as a decent special bulk considering its Steel typing, making it a very solid universal check for stall playstyle. Not sure what enemy is running? Throw in Melmetal and you will be able to find out with minimal risks! Melmetal also has Iron Defense, an amazing move on a pokemon that already has a high physical bulk. This can be paired with Body Press to sweep teams out of surprise, but can also allow Melmetal to counter physical setup sweepers that breaks through Unaware users such as Quagsire and Clefable by using moves such as Toxic or Photon Geyser or simply overwhelms them with sheer power. Melmetal's setup potential is further boosted by Toxic, encourging Steel type pivots to switch in against Melmetal. Here are some calculations to indicate the bulk of Melmetal after one Iron Defense boost:

252 Atk Choice Band Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 198-234 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 182-216 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO​

In general, Melmetal adds a crucial value to stall teams, which is the ability to counter pressure stallbreakers that can be threatening and overwhelming to deal with for other walls. It also brings the value of scouting for stall team, and prevents surprise factor from destroying the team too quickly. It is the glue to stall teams that holds it in one piece.

1621930788819.png

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Knock Off
- Shore Up / Strength Sap

Nihilego is the last piece of the stall puzzle. It is simply an amazing tank that soaks up many special attacks due to its enormous bulk, and it also provides many utilities that pairs especially well with stall. Firstly, it is capable of denying sweep from many specialized stallbreakers, especially ones that designs itself to break through Chansey/Blissey, with the most widely used one being Nasty Plot + Taunt + Oblivion Wing on Thundurus(-Therian), Tornadus-Therian, and Moltres-Galar. Nihilego denies their recovery attempt and easily tanks their damage. In return, Nihilego can retaliate with Power Gem, a move that is uneffected by Taunt. Nihilego can also take on many special attackers and teams that relies on Toxic / Toxic Spikes to break through stall, as Nihilego can quite easily absorb these status. Quagsire is the most notable teammate to benefit from this as it often relies on Leftovers to better deal with threats, and hence is extremely vulnearable to Toxic Spikes. In return, Quagsire is an amazing counter against physical boosting pokemons.

Since Nihilego does not have a place on VR yet, I would like to nominate it from UR->C, and observe how itself and stall teams will perform in general in the meta.

1621930131605.png

Tapu Bulu @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance / Wood Hammer
- High Horsepower / Stone Edge

Grass + Fire coverage is simply amazing: they are only resisted by Dragon and Fire types, the former usually having a hard time to deal with Tapu Bulu due to it having Fairy typing, and the latter usually being less bulky and is vulnerable from coverage moves Tapu Bulu carries. This not only makes Tapu Bulu practically unwallable, but it also uses the natural bulk Tapu Bulu has to punch holes on enemy teams against more offensive teams, and can often cripple their crucial pivot, notably Ferrothorn and Corviknight. This set also enjoys the abundance of Grassy Glide Tapu Bulu as it will make people play much less careful against the Fire coverage.
It's worth noting that with Sticky Web support, Tapu Bulu outspeeds Alakazam and anything slower, making it a threatening sweeper.

Nominations:
Some nominations I would like to make for the VR:

1621930788819.png
[Shore Up]UR->C Explained above :)

1621934800452.png
[Spectral Thief]C->B Mimikyu is an amazing check to most setup sweepers, putting immediate pressure and forcing switches on switchin. It is also immune to Rapid Spin, making it ideal in HO and some BO teams that prefers to keep hazards on opposing team.

1621935068253.png
[Bolt Strike, Knock Off, Swords Dance, Gunk Shot]B->A Urshifu-RS is an insanely strong attacker in the meta right now, even in the OU standards its one of the hardest pokemons to check. Now it is even harder since it can now carry coverage moves or Swords Dance to further eliminate its would be checks. Extremely oppressive given appropriate team support.

Team:
I would like to share the team I've been laddering with for those of you who loves stall and would like a simple, working team in this meta.
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Transform
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Bold Nature
- Milk Drink
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Roar

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Rapid Spin
- Darkest Lariat
- Toxic

Melmetal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shore Up
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Toxic

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Power Gem
- Knock Off
- Roost

Thanks for reading, have fun in the ladder, and I hope you all get some nice wins <3

My personal move suggestions to add to the VR
Sketchmons Beta Viability Rankings
S

:garchomp:Garchomp [Precipice Blades, Pyro Ball, Shore Up, Triple Axel, Dragon Dance]
:tapu bulu:Tapu Bulu [Grassy Glide]

A

:blacephalon:Blacephalon [Focus Blast, Close Combat, Bolt Strike, Precipice Blades, Ice Beam, Freeze-Dry]
:blissey:Blissey [Whirlwind, Court Change, Transform, Glare]
:clefable:Clefable [Spectral Thief, Mind Blown]
:ferrothorn:Ferrothorn [Milk Drink Shore Up, Strength Sap]
:gengar:Gengar [Moongeist Beam]
:hawlucha:Hawlucha [Bolt Strike, Triple Axel, Gunk Shot, Pyro Ball, Diamond Storm]
:landorus-therian:Landorus-Therian [Dragon Ascent, Shore Up]
:magearna:Magearna [No Retreat, Milk Drink Shore Up]
:tapu koko:Tapu Koko [Rising Voltage, Freeze-Dry, Ice Beam, Fleur Cannon, Nasty Plot]
:tapu lele:Tapu Lele [No Retreat, Expanding Force]
:tornadus-therian:Tornadus-Therian [Oblivion Wing, Will-O-Wisp]
:toxapex:Toxapex [Flip Turn]
:volcarona:Volcarona [Earth Power, Focus Blast]
:weavile:Weavile [Bolt Strike, Precipice Blades]

B

:aegislash:Aegislash [Spectral Thief, Poltergeist, Moongeist Beam, Volt Switch]
:alakazam:Alakazam [Mind Blown]
:bisharp:Bisharp [Bolt Strike, Pyro Ball]
:chansey:Chansey [Transform, Whirlwind]
:corviknight:Corviknight [No Sketched Move, Stealth Rock, Spectral Thief, Cotton Guard, Coil]
:dracozolt:Dracozolt [Dragon Dance, Coil, Swords Dance, Dragon Darts, Pyro Ball, Freeze-Dry]
:dragonite:Dragonite [Dragon Ascent]
:excadrill:Excadrill [Precipice Blades, Pyro Ball, Bullet Punch, Sunsteel Strike, Diamond Storm]
:heatran:Heatran [Milk Drink, Leaf Storm, Ice Beam, Apple Acid, Freeze-Dry]
:keldeo:Keldeo [Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Steam Eruption, Freeze-Dry]
:kyurem:Kyurem [Nasty Plot, Precipice Blades, Icicle Crash]
:nidoking:Nidoking [Nasty Plot, Gunk Shot, Steam Eruption, Blue Flare, Freeze-Dry]
:scizor:Scizor [Bolt Strike, Surging Strikes, Bonemerang, Storm Throw, Fell Stinger]
:skarmory:Skarmory [Spectral Thief, Cotton Guard, U-turn, No Sketched Move]
:slowbro:Slowbro [No Sketched Move Shore Up, Spectral Thief, Flip Turn, Volt Switch]
:slowking:Slowking [No Sketched Move Shore Up, Spectral Thief, Flip Turn, Volt Switch]
:swampert:Swampert [Milk Drink Shore Up]
:tangrowth:Tangrowth [Strength Sap, Milk Drink Shore Up, Lava Plume, Body Press, Flip Turn, Volt Switch]
:thundurus:Thundurus [Dragon Ascent, Oblivion Wing]
:thundurus-therian:Thundurus-Therian [Oblivion Wing, Freeze-Dry]
:tyranitar:Tyranitar [Shore Up, Accelerock]
:urshifu-rapid-strike:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike [Bolt Strike, Knock Off, Swords Dance, Gunk Shot]

C

:aerodactyl:Aerodactyl [Brave Bird]
:buzzwole:Buzzwole [Bolt Strike, Triple Axel]
:blaziken:Blaziken [Pyro Ball, Bolt Strike]
:celesteela:Celesteela [Dragon Dance]
:cloyster:Cloyster [Bolt Strike, Water Shuriken]
:grimmsnarl:Grimmsnarl [Parting Shot, Topsy-Turvy]
:gyarados:Gyarados [Dragon Ascent]
:hippowdon:Hippowdon [No Sketched Move Shore Up]
:kingdra:Kingdra [Water Spout, Surging Strikes, Crabhammer]
:magnezone:Magnezone [Blue Flare, Earth Power]
:mamoswine:Mamoswine [Swords Dance]
:melmetal:Melmetal [Trick Room, Dragon Dance, Plasma Fists, Drain Punch, Bullet Punch, Diamond Storm, Shore Up]
:mimikyu:Mimikyu [Spectral Thief]
:moltres-galar:Moltres-Galar [Oblivion Wing]
:obstagoon:Obstagoon [Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Sucker Punch]
:porygon2:Porygon2 [Boomburst]
:seismitoad:Seismitoad [Milk Drink Shore Up]
:suicune:Suicune [Strength Sap]
:tapu fini:Tapu Fini [Milk Drink Shore Up]
:terrakion:Terrakion [Accelerock]
:victini:Victini [Swords Dance, Close Combat]
:zapdos:Zapdos [Ice Beam, Freeze-Dry]
Some considerations:
  1. Shore Up is just better than the other recovery moves, so I scrapped Milk Drink from everything and added it in its place. It has the same amount of PP as other recovery moves, with the advantage that it heals more in sandstorm and no disadvantages related to other weather. Imprison, the main reason why one would want to vary recovery moves, has an enormous opportunity cost here, you are infinitely more likely to run in opposing sandstorm. Even if you already have recovery natively and you have nothing better to Sketch you should use Shore Up, which is why I listed it on the Slows and especially Hippowdon
  2. Freeze-Dry is just amazing at giving near-perfect coverage to a lot of Pokémon and should generally be preferred to Ice Beam unless you really need the extra power.
  3. :tangrowth: I added some moves for AV sets, Lava Plume and Body Press are coverage against various Steel types, while Flip Turn and Volt Switch are pivoting that hit some of Tangrowth's checks supereffectively.
  4. :dracozolt: Coil is meant to use with Hustle for stallbreaking better, the rest is coverage for Sand Rush. Swords Dance should work with Hustle but seems better for Sand Rush. On a related note, Coil was added to :corviknight: to add more boosts for Power Trip sets (or even for bluffing those).
  5. :heatran: Apple Acid is great with Magma Storm to guarantee trapping against most Water types. The advantage over Freeze-Dry are the special defense drops that can take down nearly anything.
  6. The rest is mostly self-explanatory additional coverage.

i think dracozolt should be ban. it's like a zeraora, bolt beak + ice beam/freeze dry, with way more dmg due to hustle and more speed in storm. some ppl are abusing it, I won't name anyone (spikylala which is 3).

Hello, as some of you may have seen, Transform is now banned from Sketchmons, but I have a few more announcements to make regarding bans:

:ss/falinks:

No Retreat has been quickbanned from Sketchmons.

As it seems to be with any omniboosting move in Sketchmons, adding No Retreat to nearly any mon can make it an instant sweeper, and it practically denies nearly every form of counterplay whilst doing so, only being beaten by some Spectral Thief / Haze / Whirlwind users that are specific to certain targets. Common abusers of this strategy tended to be mons with already lacking defensive counterplay like Magearna, Tapu Lele and Nidoking, and in using such a move often made offensive counterplay tough, too. The Sketchmons council believe that No Retreat is such a constraining aspect in the current metagame that it needed to be quickbanned in order to bring hyper offense strategies down.

Regarding some other things with respect to the banlist, the council is looking into banning Tapu Bulu and Hawlucha. Both of these Pokemon have relatively lacking offensive and defensive counterplay, and their Sketched move often allows them to bypass a considerable portion of their flaws. Tapu Bulu's ability to run Grassy Glide is exceptional - it allows Tapu Bulu to effectively bypass most, if not all of its offensive counterplay, and its defensive counterplay is already pretty strict anyway, with coverage moves like Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt and Megahorn allowing it to bypass its different answers. Hawlucha does this in the opposite way - with its Sketched move instead patching up its wallbreaking capabilities. Hawlucha's issue is that it barely has a consistent defensive answer - between Bolt Strike, Triple Axel, Pyro Ball and Gunk Shot, no single mon aside from Unawares like Quagsire & Clefable are safe from Hawlucha potentially being able to just sweep through a team. Multiple answers are needed for Hawlucha outside of this - something like Zapdos + Slowbro is capable of answering all Hawluchas, but needs both members to be alive to be able to successfully beat Hawlucha. As a result of this, it can be extremely frustrating to deal with, especially when paired with the support that hyper offense can provide.

As for moves, the council is watchlisting Precipice Blades & Bolt Strike due to their insane synergy with a varied amount of general wallbreakers. Abusers include Weavile, Kyurem, Hawlucha, Bisharp, Blaziken and Urshifu-R for Bolt Strike, and include Weavile, Kyurem, Garchomp, and Blacephalon for Precipice Blades. Both of these moves incredibly high base power and lack of downsides allow these Pokemon to bypass a considerable amount of answers, and the council believes this is to the point where it could be potentially unhealthy.

tagging Kris to implement.

Hello, as some of you may have seen, Transform is now banned from Sketchmons, but I have a few more announcements to make regarding bans:

:ss/falinks:

No Retreat has been quickbanned from Sketchmons.
It's sad that Transform got banned as it is quite an limiting move to use most of the time, however, No Retreat getting banned is a nice save the meta from sliding to brainless boosting strategies.
Grassy Glide itself is not broken and serves as a great revenge tool for offensive teams, however Tapu Bulu has amazing stats and moveset that pushes it close to the edge. It would be a big hit to offensive teams, and I hope the community can figure out other ways to revenge kill if the ban takes in place!
Bolt Strike is a very powerful move, but not without replacement. Banning Bolt Strike would encourage users that originally depend on them to move to Plasma Fists or Volt Tackle, and I personally believe it will not really address the problem that physical electric coverage is what lacks counterplay in general. It would be much better imo if Kyurem and Weavile are analyzed specifically with these skills to see whether it is unhealthy for the meta.
Additionally, I would like to point out an underlooked issue. Trick and Switcheroo are two moves have virtually 0 defensive counterplay apart from the defense pokemon also bringing the move. This is not an issue in Gen7, but with Mega and Z-move removed from game in Gen8, it is simply impossible for block item swapping moves from being used. This means every attacker that does not desperately depend on a specific item can choose to freely cripple whichever check or counter that they are against to either defeat them after Trick/Switcheroo or support teammates that cannot deal with them reliably.

Please don't ban Bulu/Glide, its one of the ways balance and bulky offense shores up its MU vs HO wthout resorting to passive strats like Unaware or fat Spectral Thieves. While Bulu is admittedly amazing, I think it's held back by its reliance on prediction (therefore, on average, rewarding the more skilled player) if running Choice Band or 4MSS if running SD. I do think that teams need to dedicate 2 slots to beating Bulu if they want to be safe vs it, but that's just the nature of priority abusers - you often need something that switches into it as well as an offensive resist that can revenge kill it. However in Bulu's case, Grass is not that hard to find resists to, especially in a meta that hard buffs Flying types by giving them access to Owing/Dascent. Outside of Flying types, there's Volcarona, Kyurem, Scizor, Melmetal, Hydreigon (Sludge Bomb), Heatran - all strong picks that are able to tank +2 LO Bulu (with the exception of Melm since it probs dies to +2 CC) due to their bulk/4x resistance and OHKO back.

Hi here is just a short list of things I think should be on the VR but are not currently

Good breaker against teams with phys def Lando-T as the physical sponge while still breaking through Toxapex with a STAB move unlike Urshifu-S, usually you want to run Dragon Ascent on this since Bolt Strike isn't super necessary if you just predict correctly. Dragon Dance is probably usable too. You could also easily run Diamond Storm for Zapdos
:ditto:
Just a really safe teambuilding help against random bullshit, lost some luster after No Retreat and clang bans but it's still generally pretty useful

With Dragon Ascent of course. Niche but it is legitimately usable if you have rigid hazard control, you can lose Gale Wings fairly easy if they have something like Garchomp but even then its speed tier is still good enough to be useful surprisingly. This mon is excellent for revenging stuff like Hawlucha, Blacephalon, Tapu Bulu, Torn-T, and Volcarona, all stuff Tapu Bulu (other powerful priority spammer) is not great at

This is a good bulky wincon because it is immune to Spectral Thief. With reliable recovery it can also be a special Normal wall that can actually hurt things unlike Blissey.

This is basically just Gyarados but it can't be revenged by Tapu Bulu, and Gyarados is ranked so I don't see why this shouldn't be.

This resists or doesn't take much from every move Garchomp and Tapu Bulu run with Levitate. An alternative to defensive Steel/Flying that's not vulnerable to Magnezone or Fire or Electric coverage. Obviously you run this with recovery

Last edited:
So I got this weird gimmick here and its pretty much nice since it can offer some niche' but dont really expect good stuff happening when using this sets.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Magic guard ability for anti-stalling, Bold/ Calm nature too can be a option if you dont want modest,Cosmic power basically stacks up your def and spdef making you bulky and much more sustained in battles unlike using calm mind, stored power covers the issue for Reuniclus need of fire power so he can tear through walls like chancey and such.... Focus Miss is for dark types which stored power can't hit and finally recover is for more sustainability.

Just be unkillable then spam stored power.

Weakness: spectral thief, Topsyturvy, Taunt, and crits

Suniolisk:

Torkoal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Parting Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Solar Beam

I actually see potential on heliolisk in sun teams because of its ability solar power and So I did every person would do if they see a Normal type that uses spatk, I put boomburst in it and hell this thing is a pain in the ass, 140STAB + solar power + choice specs and you get another boomburst abuser.

Torkoal: basically it's heliolisk Sun setter, ninetails is also a viable option if you dont want the turtle d: but there is a reason why I chose this stupid thing over the fox its because he has access in rapid spin and stealth rock which gives a nice hazard control for my team. Torkoal pretty much got the standard set the only difference is parting shot, which gives torkoal the momentum and more space for Heliolisk to switch in.

Heliolisk: Solar power for more power, Choice specs for more power, and Boomburst for more power everything that isn't named Chancey or Blissey either gets chunks of damage or be utterly destroyed

Last edited:
here's why dracozolt should banned from sketchmons.

i start at third because the first two werent good calcs.

third ferrothorn isnt an answer to dracozolt (the ferro right here has a lot of spd and still cant tank)((for the 200 spa i took the evs from Spikylala)) the second on the ladder :
200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Ferrothorn: 296-354 (84 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
fourth, physical tangrowth isnt a real answer to dracozolt :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 367-434 (90.8 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
av can tank 2 fire blast. i admit.

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 156-185 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
but its very close with sr on :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 156-185 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
fifth, excadrill isnt a good answer, i mean you need to read at 100% the ennemi or to have sandrush too)

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 304-359 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
sixth, garchomp isnt a good answer :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 317-374 (88.7 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 437-515 (122.4 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
seventh, guagsire isnt an answer :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 385-458 (97.7 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
eighth, lando isnt an answer :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 328-390 (85.8 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
ninth, hippowdon is one of the best answer, (not if draco has ice beam tho)

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 372-440 (88.5 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO
200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 229-270 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
tenth and last, swampert isnt a good answer (even full spd) :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 213-255 (52.7 - 63.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

that's it

here's why dracozolt should banned from sketchmons.

i start at third because the first two werent good calcs.

third ferrothorn isnt an answer to dracozolt (the ferro right here has a lot of spd and still cant tank)((for the 200 spa i took the evs from Spikylala)) the second on the ladder :
200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Ferrothorn: 296-354 (84 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
fourth, physical tangrowth isnt a real answer to dracozolt :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 367-434 (90.8 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
av can tank 2 fire blast. i admit.

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 156-185 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
but its very close with sr on :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 156-185 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
fifth, excadrill isnt a good answer, i mean you need to read at 100% the ennemi or to have sandrush too)

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 304-359 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
sixth, garchomp isnt a good answer :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 317-374 (88.7 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 437-515 (122.4 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
seventh, guagsire isnt an answer :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 385-458 (97.7 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
eighth, lando isnt an answer :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 328-390 (85.8 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
ninth, hippowdon is one of the best answer, (not if draco has ice beam tho)

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 372-440 (88.5 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO
200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 229-270 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
tenth and last, swampert isnt a good answer (even full spd) :

200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 213-255 (52.7 - 63.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

that's it
I would like to introduce you to the legendary and most powerful Melmetal which serves as a perfect counter to your suggesting set.
52+ Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 203-239 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
200 SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Melmetal: 203-239 (42.8 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
The set is described above.

Strength Sap Suicune may have been mentioned previously, but I'll still post the full set here. I have previously used this set in Alphabet Cup, and it also works great here as an answer to physical threats. I've often even used this set to beat stuff like Swords Dance Grassy Glide Rillaboom/Tapu Bulu.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Strength Sap
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Some tips:
Even super effective physical threats with Swords Dance will lose if you get the Scald burn. Pressure and burn damage will eventually wear them down.
Pay attention to when you can bring this in and when to use Substitute, as it's important to avoid status (and Trick/Knock Off).
Also be aware of Taunt, other stuff that bypasses Subs (sound moves, Infiltrator), water immunities, and faster threats with Substitute.
Without a sub up or several Calm Mind boosts, be wary of staying in vs super effective special attackers (such as Tapu Koko, Kyurem, Magnezone).
When faster or already behind a sub, scouting Volt Switch with Substitute can be huge.

Edit: Editing tips

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)