Resource Simple Questions & Suggestions (LGPE Edition)

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
OP stolen from NeverUsed

If you have a question that can be answered in one post, please ask it here. This helps us keep the subforum free of clutter and keeps a centralized hub for new users to get help as soon as possible.
  1. When posting in the thread, please follow these guidelines:
  2. Make sure that your post is relevant to the LGPE metas.
  3. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions. Do NOT ask for anything that could be considered illegal. This includes anything related to hacking, Action Replay, ROMs, and 3ds hacking.
  4. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands. This subforum is for competitive discussion only. Asking about specific breeding moves and why a certain illegality exists is okay though.

So when battling with normal rules on cart, is it verified that Happiness is balanced for each mon to a base of 70? I haven't been able to find much information about this anywhere.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
So when battling with normal rules on cart, is it verified that Happiness is balanced for each mon to a base of 70? I haven't been able to find much information about this anywhere.
I believe it is if your Pokemon's happiness is higher than 70, kind of like how a Pokemon above level 50 would be shot down to level 50 in other games, but Pokemon below level 50 would stay as that level.

Unsure if I'm posting this in the right place, but is there any viable Mew set that uses a Quiet nature? I'd assume you'd use Dragon Tail, but otherwise I'm stumped on making this thing at all useful because the speed tier is so crippling.

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Unsure if I'm posting this in the right place, but is there any viable Mew set that uses a Quiet nature? I'd assume you'd use Dragon Tail, but otherwise I'm stumped on making this thing at all useful because the speed tier is so crippling.
I'd suggest trying a sort of mixed attacker set with Earthquake to exploit Alolan Muk being many people's immediate response thanks to Quiet being an alright nature for bulky mixed attackers. You could also try a set of Dragon Tail, Psychic/Taunt, Roost and Will-O-Wisp to annoy people, or just try to run the standard support set, but honestly that nature is really unfortunate. Your Mew will still be good because it has Mew's bulk and movepool but being outsped by mons like Jolly Mega Gyarados could make some matchups significantly worse at very little gain. Hopefully it proves good enough!

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The only real benefit of a -Speed nature is slow U-Turn vs neutral Mew. U-Turn/Psychic/Roost seems optimal. The last spot could be Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave/Reflect/Light Screen/Flamethrower/Earthquake. That said, it really sucks to be slower than +Speed base 80.

Last edited:
Hi,

I hope I’m in the right place; I have only just joined today. I have got carried away playing the new Pokemon Let’s Go game and have ended up playing 54 hours in 4 days. I’m hooked and now I’m just looking at entering the competitive battling scene although I have no clue what I’m doing. (Exciting times).

I have found out some information online about natures and movesets for Gengar but I want to know more about EVs, well, candy training as it is now known, as I can’t find much information or any guides on it. Can anyone give me general information or a link to a guide on what I should be doing with the candies please? And also what candies I should be using specifically on Gengar to make him/her the most viable in competitive battling?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to this. I’m sure it’s probablt a very basic question but I am just starting out.

Reece

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Hi,
I hope I’m in the right place; I have only just joined today. I have got carried away playing the new Pokemon Let’s Go game and have ended up playing 54 hours in 4 days. I’m hooked and now I’m just looking at entering the competitive battling scene although I have no clue what I’m doing. (Exciting times).
I have found out some information online about natures and movesets for Gengar but I want to know more about EVs, well, candy training as it is now known, as I can’t find much information or any guides on it. Can anyone give me general information or a link to a guide on what I should be doing with the candies please? And also what candies I should be using specifically on Gengar to make him/her the most viable in competitive battling?
Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to this. I’m sure it’s probablt a very basic question but I am just starting out.
Reece
Ideally, you'd chain Gastly for a few hundred catches to accumulate the 200 Gastly candies you need in order to fully max out its candies. There's no strategizing when it comes to candies; you can fully invest in every stat. You will want to make sure your Gengar has great, if not perfect IVs (which should happen somewhere while chaining, as you eventually reach 4 guaranteed perfect IVs for each 'mon) and also has the correct nature (Timid, which can be guaranteed by paying Madame Celadon and choosing to support the blue flower and allow the red one to wilt). Believe it or not, this is somewhat less convoluted than making battle-ready 'mons in the main series games.

There's a whole forum for the Let's Go competitive scene if you're interested: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/pokémon-lets-go.496/

Ideally, you'd chain Gastly for a few hundred catches to accumulate the 200 Gastly candies you need in order to fully max out its candies. There's no strategizing when it comes to candies; you can fully invest in every stat. You will want to make sure your Gengar has great, if not perfect IVs (which should happen somewhere while chaining, as you eventually reach 4 guaranteed perfect IVs for each 'mon) and also has the correct nature (Timid, which can be guaranteed by paying Madame Celadon and choosing to support the blue flower and allow the red one to wilt). Believe it or not, this is somewhat less convoluted than making battle-ready 'mons in the main series games.

There's a whole forum for the Let's Go competitive scene if you're interested: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/pokémon-lets-go.496/
If you are a perfectionist, you might want a Gengar with the lowest possible ATK stat (to take less damage from Confusion/Foul Play), which would mean not giving it any ATK Candy or Ghastly Candy (which increase all stats), which unfortunately takes longer and is less efficient . An explanation of how many Candies you need can be found in https://www.serebii.net/letsgopikachueevee/candy.shtml . You might also want a Gengar with a not too high ATK IV

Speaking of IV, you can maximize any IV through Hyper Training with Bottle Caps (https://gamewith.net/pokemon-lets-go/article/show/1970), so there's less pressure to hunt specifically for a perfect IV (although the more perfect stats you begin with, the fewer Bottle Caps you need)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a team I can use that doesn't have any legendary pokemon (including melmetal) or mains like eevee or pikachu. I thought about doing a kind of a troll-ish team like quiver dance venomoth or something else. Got any recommendations?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a team I can use that doesn't have any legendary pokemon (including melmetal) or mains like eevee or pikachu. I thought about doing a kind of a troll-ish team like quiver dance venomoth or something else. Got any recommendations?
Where do you intend to use this? I can't honestly recommend doing so for something like wi-fi battles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)