Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
for some reason this wasn't done before so just copy pasting the OP from the SS one redirect any complaints to Rabia

Use this thread to ask questions that can be answered in one post. This avoids the issue of users creating several threads asking basic questions like "what sets does x run?" and "what are the best entry hazard setters?" and provides a centralized resource for all users.

Some guidelines to follow:
  1. Keep the questions related to NU. If you have a question about another tier or something in-game, ask it in the proper subforum.
  2. Don't ask for suspect tests or give predictions on what you think will be suspect tested.
  3. If you're answering someone else's question, quote it when replying so other users can see whose post yours is aimed at.

What checks are there for Cetitan other than Crocalor? I don't think the fire croc can fit on the team I'm making.

Edit: yay

Last edited:
After Cetitan ban, what is the most probable scenario?

1) Abomasnow :abomasnow: stays in NU, Beartic :beartic: stays in PU/ZU;
2) Abomasnow :abomasnow: stays in NU, Beartic :beartic: rises to NU.
3) Abomasnow :abomasnow: drops to PU, Beartic :beartic: stays in PU/ZU
4) (Silly one...) Abomasnow :abomasnow: drops to PU, Beartic :beartic: rises to NU

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
After Cetitan ban, what is the most probable scenario?

1) Abomasnow :abomasnow: stays in NU, Beartic :beartic: stays in PU/ZU;
2) Abomasnow :abomasnow: stays in NU, Beartic :beartic: rises to NU.
3) Abomasnow :abomasnow: drops to PU, Beartic :beartic: stays in PU/ZU
4) (Silly one...) Abomasnow :abomasnow: drops to PU, Beartic :beartic: rises to NU
Too early to say, but Beartic will likely be more viable. Not sure it’ll see an immediate leap or not though.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Why is pyroar waaay higher in vr than houndoom???
pyroar outspeeds many foes that houndoom can't, such as paldean tauros, zoroark, and scyther, which makes it a lot easier to wallbreak with. both are comparably bad defensively, so no matter what they're gonna face the same woes with revenge killers, but that speed difference lowers the pool of pokemon that can threaten pyroar. houndoom's main niche atm ends up being a stallbreaker in a tier where stall isn't too common as it stands

zero explanation beyond someone with too much time on their hands constantly laddering with their favorite Pokemon. Same thing happened last generation too..
What happened last generation as I can't remember any D-ranks in the vr? Can Zorua-H stood a chance in a tier with Zoroark or would it drop next shift?

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
I'd like to do tryouts for the upcoming NUPL. Could someone please direct me the discord servers where I can do them, if any?
Note: I'm Cdijk16#5364 on discord.

Last edited:
Is Alolan Raichu only useable on Electric Terrain teams, or does would it be outclassed by other Electric types outside of Electric Terrain?

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Is Alolan Raichu only useable on Electric Terrain teams, or does would it be outclassed by other Electric types outside of Electric Terrain?
Jolteon outclasses it with its Volt Absorb and is naturally faster, while Eelektross has that cool Levitate ability and has more bulk.

Hey, my friends and I started a Draft League that is now in its ninth season. Since we didn't have the expertise back then to set up our own point system, we designed our own rules for picking, which were based on the Smogon Tiers.

Long story short:
For the first time, we're introducing the rule that a Pokémon from the NU tier can terastallize, but limited to one Same Type Tera and two other types.
What would you say are the best Pokémon from NU for this?

Aawin

whole lotta vibes in the city
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hey, my friends and I started a Draft League that is now in its ninth season. Since we didn't have the expertise back then to set up our own point system, we designed our own rules for picking, which were based on the Smogon Tiers.

Long story short:
For the first time, we're introducing the rule that a Pokémon from the NU tier can terastallize, but limited to one Same Type Tera and two other types.
What would you say are the best Pokémon from NU for this?
Draft league functions a tad differently than a standard NU battle, and I should preface that certain Tera types here might not always be applicable to that environment.

That being said, in my opinion, there are a few Pokemon that are great Tera captains (so to speak) and utilize Tera quite well

- Eelektross has a diverse movepool and solid stats to back it up. Currently in the NU metagame, its common Tera types are Poison, Fairy, and Steel, which all provide unique defensive profiles coupled with its Levitate ability. You really can't go wrong with any solid typing for the Pokemon (outside of like, Tera Bug I guess).

- Dudunsparce is a phenomenal Tera Pokemon for similar reasons to Eelektross- great stats, solid movepool, and a diverse set of roles. For Tera types on this Pokemon, you (again) can't really go wrong. In the NU metagame in particular, Tera Ghost, Poison, and Fairy are all solid choices, but in draft league I think Tera Water or Flying could be good defensive choices as well (Flying also gives you STAB on Air Slash for ParaFlinch shenanigans).

- Another Pokemon I like with Tera is Rotom (in its base form). Rotom is a unique fella that utilizes a high number of sets in NU (utility with Will-O-Wisp, Choice Scarf, Nasty Plot) and performs even better with Tera. Like Eelektross, it has Levitate, and can utilize self tera types (Electric and Ghost) quite well, in addition to Fairy, Steel, and Fighting (to a certain extent at least).

- A fourth Pokemon I like with Tera is Jolteon. With Electric types in general, they benefit quite a lot with tera. Jolteon is slightly one dimensional, but Calm Mind sets with Tera Ice, Ghost, or Normal (while running Hyper Voice) are all quite nice. By extension, you could also run Grass or Water

- Scyther is a Pokemon that can utilize many different Tera types to great success. With its high attack and speed and access to Swords Dance, it can punch holes or become a nuisance with Tera Grass coupled with Technician Trailblaze. Flying is a fine type as well, giving you a much stronger Aerial Ace. Tera Ground is nice as well to avoid Electric and Rock moves too.

I hope this guides you in the right direction! If you have any additional questions on the topic, feel free to ask in the NU room on Pokemon Showdown!, or view the SmogDex analyses written by community members for the Pokemon in the tier for more information :)

Draft league functions a tad differently than a standard NU battle, and I should preface that certain Tera types here might not always be applicable to that environment.

That being said, in my opinion, there are a few Pokemon that are great Tera captains (so to speak) and utilize Tera quite well

- Eelektross has a diverse movepool and solid stats to back it up. Currently in the NU metagame, its common Tera types are Poison, Fairy, and Steel, which all provide unique defensive profiles coupled with its Levitate ability. You really can't go wrong with any solid typing for the Pokemon (outside of like, Tera Bug I guess).

- Dudunsparce is a phenomenal Tera Pokemon for similar reasons to Eelektross- great stats, solid movepool, and a diverse set of roles. For Tera types on this Pokemon, you (again) can't really go wrong. In the NU metagame in particular, Tera Ghost, Poison, and Fairy are all solid choices, but in draft league I think Tera Water or Flying could be good defensive choices as well (Flying also gives you STAB on Air Slash for ParaFlinch shenanigans).

- Another Pokemon I like with Tera is Rotom (in its base form). Rotom is a unique fella that utilizes a high number of sets in NU (utility with Will-O-Wisp, Choice Scarf, Nasty Plot) and performs even better with Tera. Like Eelektross, it has Levitate, and can utilize self tera types (Electric and Ghost) quite well, in addition to Fairy, Steel, and Fighting (to a certain extent at least).

- A fourth Pokemon I like with Tera is Jolteon. With Electric types in general, they benefit quite a lot with tera. Jolteon is slightly one dimensional, but Calm Mind sets with Tera Ice, Ghost, or Normal (while running Hyper Voice) are all quite nice. By extension, you could also run Grass or Water

- Scyther is a Pokemon that can utilize many different Tera types to great success. With its high attack and speed and access to Swords Dance, it can punch holes or become a nuisance with Tera Grass coupled with Technician Trailblaze. Flying is a fine type as well, giving you a much stronger Aerial Ace. Tera Ground is nice as well to avoid Electric and Rock moves too.

I hope this guides you in the right direction! If you have any additional questions on the topic, feel free to ask in the NU room on Pokemon Showdown!, or view the SmogDex analyses written by community members for the Pokemon in the tier for more information :)
Thank you very much for these recommendations :)
I was also thinking about Rotom-Fan. Last season one of us had the regular Rotom-Fan and it did a lot of work for him thanks to its utility. With Tera that sounds like a solid pick.

Dudunsparce is also on my radar after Emvee's performance yesterday in the Premier League, lmao.

And Jolteon with Tera Ice sounds really brutal as a NU pick.

Our format is currently 2×OU, 2×UU, 4×RU and 4×Bellow RU. With a focus on weaker tiers, a good Tera Pick can be game-changing. Since I'm currently champion, of course I want to defend my title :D
I'll keep you posted on what it turned out to be and how it went for me :)

plznostep

Flittle Fanatic
is a Community Contributor
what differentiates Veluza and Bruxish in this tier? What makes one better than the other? on paper it looks like Bruxish should completely outclass Veluza.
Bruxish is primarily a wallbreaker utilizing Choice Band or perhaps Swords Dance whilst Veluza is a setup sweeper/cleaner usually reserved for Hyper Offense teams using Fillet Away, preying on the more passive Pokemon in the tier or Choice Locked Fighting- or Psychic-types in the tier to find a turn to set up. Bruxish is usually considered to be better since it is more immediately threatening thanks to its better speed tier and STAB moves, but they perform different roles despite having a similar offensive profile and thus coexist in the tier.

Are there any benefits of using Wing Attack over Aerial Ace on Scyther, or is Aerial Ace just the standard Flying STAB for Scyther?

Will the general community be able to reserve analysis for this tiers Pokemon? If so, when roughly can we expect to be able to do that?

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Will the general community be able to reserve analysis for this tiers Pokemon? If so, when roughly can we expect to be able to do that?
Yup! Analyses are currently on hold because of the dlc shake up and drops, and although I’m not sure when exactly they’ll be open (Rabia would know), I assume they’ll only really get going again fully after the dlcs because it’s too chaotic to write them up only for them to be irrelevant the next month. But when they open, definitely reserve some and start writing :)

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Analyses won't be opening back up until DLC2 due to how turbulent our tier shifts are gonna be for the next several months. I'll be brainstorming possible ways to offset this down period so people can still contribute, though ^^

Analyses won't be opening back up until DLC2 due to how turbulent our tier shifts are gonna be for the next several months. I'll be brainstorming possible ways to offset this down period so people can still contribute, though ^^
Gotcha, that's about what I figured but was curious anyway in case the plan was different. Thanks for the quick response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)