Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Is Flareon good in the meta?

PD.: RIP, Slufpuff is banned
I've had success with Flareon on Stall and Balance builds into the 1500s on ladder. I like to pair it with either Lanturn + Eldegoss/Shiinotic as part of a Fire/Water/Grass core, and you can round that team out with whatever you want. Its high special bulk is nice for checking mons like Haunter, Rotom-Freeze, Butterfree, Abomasnow, and special Toxicroak.

Flareon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Calm Nature
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Lava Plume
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy / Toxic / Will-o-Wisp

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
I've had success with Flareon on Stall and Balance builds into the 1500s on ladder. I like to pair it with either Lanturn + Eldegoss/Shiinotic as part of a Fire/Water/Grass core, and you can round that team out with whatever you want. Its high special bulk is nice for checking mons like Haunter, Rotom-Freeze, Butterfree, Abomasnow, and special Toxicroak.

Flareon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Calm Nature
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Lava Plume
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy / Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
fwiw I think the fourth slot's slashings should go Toxic / Heal Bell / Wisp or Yawn (both inferior to Toxic but still are reasonable options); Toxic just really helps with Flareon's passivity problems, and stall can usually afford Lanturn as a cleric. in terms of balance builds, I just find Toxic more helpful to punish any Water-types that wanna come into Flareon

What set (and most importantly, what EV spread) is mainly used on SR Sandaconda and Spikes Ferroseed in the NU metagame?

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Any suggestions for partners for Falinks?
Falinks is pretty awful all things considered, but typically you'll see it on Aurora Veil offense. Typical members of such builds include a suicide lead (generally Drednaw or Cursola), some Swords Dance Silvally variant, and of course Abomasnow.

What set (and most importantly, what EV spread) is mainly used on SR Sandaconda and Spikes Ferroseed in the NU metagame?
At the most basic level, Sandaconda generally Speed creeps Adamant Perrserker and puts the remaining EVs into physical bulk. Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Glare / Rest or Stone Edge is generally what you'll see.

Ferroseed usually goes physically defensive with Spikes / Leech Seed / Knock Off / Gyro Ball.

What does a typical stall team look like and what are some decent stall breakers
Stall isn't very strong, but typical members include Quagsire, Eldegoss, Clefairy, and Galarian Stunfisk. Generally strong wallbreakers like Choice Specs Drampa and Abomasnow are effective at pressuring such builds.

Falinks is pretty awful all things considered, but typically you'll see it on Aurora Veil offense. Typical members of such builds include a suicide lead (generally Drednaw or Cursola), some Swords Dance Silvally variant, and of course Abomasnow.
Thanks!
And yes, I'm aware, but a friend that doesn't have an account asked me and so I asked here lol

What do I need to know about the current meta in order to get into the newest generation? For example what are the dominant pokemon in NU right now and what are their counters. Thanks :afrostar:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
What do I need to know about the current meta in order to get into the newest generation? For example what are the dominant pokemon in NU right now and what are their counters. Thanks :afrostar:
Let me first direct you to the Viability Rankings since that'll show you literally what's top tier and what isn't:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-nu-viability-ranking-thread-see-post-17.3662169/

For a tl;dr: Cofagrigus, Indeedee-F, Garbodor, Toxicroak, and Sandaconda are the better mons going right now!

As far as what counters or checks these mons, you can look at the following thread. It's called Victim of the Week and it's hosted by poh and we currently have these mons done already in the thread so definitely take a look!

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/victim-of-the-week-week-4-toxicroak.3662246/

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Looks to be speed creep for base 50s (its 49 and outrunning Piloswine helps you a metric ton vs it).

Edit: I can't find an analysis for the mon in NU, so imagine you're basing it on a team given to ya; many piloswines run a bit of creep so its outcreeping the creeping piloswines.

Last edited:

DnB

#DnB4608, its way easier on discord :>
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sure, but it can do that with 12 speed EVs. I don't see why it add 16 more
because piloswine often runs speedcreep to outspeed other base 50s, like 12-16 speed evs and 28 speed hattrem hits 141 which outspeeds most piloswines. ofc, some people are now running pilo with even more speed to outspeed creeping hattrem, so you could run even more speed on hattrem, technically this game could go on forever but yea~

Rabia

GP & NU Leader
What is the reasoning for banning Indeedee-F and Porygon2?
new psychic move makes indd significantly harder to answer defensively and lets it break previously decent midgrounds like clef and goss with much more ease; makes scarf sets hit harder than a wet paper towel and makes specs sets dumb + lets them drop psyshock for a move like trick or healing wish more easily

p2 is dumb bulky and p strong for a defensive mon thanks to its great coverage and download. its hard to actually get a knock vs it because it doesnt really switch into knock users ever, and while toxic can be annoying it's not a game ender for it.

shameless vid plug from me in which i go a bit more in depth on those two

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
is garbodor better as a spikes setter or using band?
Spikes
How will Rillaboom do in the metagame as it is? I saw that it rose to OU and I wonder if it has any legitimate uses or if it's just OU because low ladder gimmick. And if it has any actual use then what role would it likely serve?
You may be in the wrong place, but its pre-evo thwackey is doing a fine job as a grassy terrain setter for dedicated grassy terrain teams (see grassy glide flapple and grassy seed thievul) and as a catch-all ground resist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)