Resource Simple Questions & Simple Answers [ZU edition]

Unluckily in ZU, usage in ladder is not translated as viability or usage in Smogon tours. I think that ladder does have a lot of random/occasional players and just some of the games come from competitive tour players.

Due to the lack of playerbase/games in the ladder, many competitive tour players test their teams in friendly games. This is quite different compared to high ladders from OU or UU in which activity is high and you can find good players messing around often.

So, in general, ZU ladder usage is not realistic about how good is a Pokémon in the tier.

Last edited:
When it comes to Accelgor, realistically it runs one of two sets: Spikes lead or Specs.

A fast hazard setter that can generate momentum with either Final Gambit or U-turn on paper is such a neat thing. Specs set have good coverage for its type and 100 base Special Attack is quite strong in the tier.

It suffers though from the prevalence of Boots, and how defensively it offers very little unlike other Spikers like Qwilfish or AlolaSlash. Specs set suffer from having a bad STAB type. So many good Pokemon in the tier resist Bug its not even funny. Its reliant on its coverage as a result, which can easily be played around.

To my knowledge I think this is why Accelgor isn't considered very good ATM despite its high usage on ladder. (Its not even just lower ladder, its usage stats are really high on higher ranks too)

How come the PS ZU tier list isn't more defined like PU or other higher tiers? Wouldn't it make more sense for anything that doesn't even see usage in ZU to drop to something like (UR)?

Last edited:
hellooo
i have a question regarding silv-fighting,is its smogon set up to date? rn it has max spatk evs,but to deal with its natural checks like tang qwil alt,it doesnt need any investment,and the extra attack helps vs cuno/goss/throh/milk/literally everything
am i missing something big?
thanks in advance!

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How does this apply to ssnl and majors Tuthur
Glastrier will remain legal in the ongoing rounds (Round 6 of SSNL and Pool phase of Majors), and will be banned in the next rounds of them. If you and your opponents don't want to play in a Glastrier meta, feel free to gentleman agree to not use it.
hellooo
i have a question regarding silv-fighting,is its smogon set up to date? rn it has max spatk evs,but to deal with its natural checks like tang qwil alt,it doesnt need any investment,and the extra attack helps vs cuno/goss/throh/milk/literally everything
am i missing something big?
thanks in advance!
Sorry, I didn't notice this message earlier. I honestly don't remember why it did, Silvally-Fighting isn't a Pokemon I commonly use. I am going to bring up this to the QC team.

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I can confirm that max spattack Silvally fight is its best set
Silvally-Fighting typically uses a mixed set with Multi-Attack + U-turn + BoltBeam coverage. It’s a fighting-type that beats Altaria and Qwilfish more easily and is the fastest among them without coverage. It’s also a Fighting-type that can pivot.

You could also run a traditional SD set, though it faces broad competition with its other formes.

I wasn't really sure where to properly do this- I have a suggestion for Butterfree that's been working pretty decently for me, where would I go to suggest it so other people can try it/potentially get it adopted?

Elfuseon

is a Top Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
Corthius Sorry to bother you, but can we have information on if its allowed this week in Majors and SSNL that are still going on plz? Delete if unnecessary

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Corthius Sorry to bother you, but can we have information on if its allowed this week in Majors and SSNL that are still going on plz? Delete if unnecessary
I am not Corthius, but the answer is that Perrserker is still allowed in every ZU tournament until the end of the week.

I've come in contact with a lot of contrary shell smash shuckle and I am almost certain that there are no counters besides extremely niche sets like set up poison types (to not die to toxic), forced switch moves like roar or crit chance boosting (to bypass the defence boost).

I've done a test and max attack investment Stonjourner with a choice band and Power Spot using STAB stone edge (the highest damaging attack on shuckle) can only barely break through shuckle without a miss and no crits (the shuckle does have reflect but that is a common stratagy in these teams) look at the replay below as proof.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1709021012-o20tzog5li3qeq4m5zcb4b2ocek2mzepw

Also not only does it seem impossible to bypass with most teams without crazy crit luck , it is also really uncompetitive with almost guaranteed 80+ games or forfeits.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is the set that i'm having problems with

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Infestation
- Rest
- Toxic

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I've come in contact with a lot of contrary shell smash shuckle and I am almost certain that there are no counters besides extremely niche sets like set up poison types (to not die to poison), forced switch moves like roar or focus energy (to bypass the defence boost).
Shell smash sets are easily countered by any trick user (and shuckle cant do anything back), swords dance/nasty plot/shell smash users, klinklang, and super effective attackers. Encore users also work as well. Roar,haze, and circle throw users, while not the most common, can still be used against shuckle. Any seismic toss user can quickly take out shuckle due to its horrible hp. Basically if you check the smogon pages and not look at the ladder:
Klinklang (all sets)
Rotom (all sets)
Miltank (all sets)
Alcremie (Calm Mind and Stored Power sets)
Froslass (all sets)
Jynx (all sets)
Perrserker
Sawk (Band sets)
Qwilfish (Taunt and SD sets)
Rapidash (SD)
Rhydon (both sets)
Silvally-Dark (SD, resttalk)
Skuntank (Taunt, Nasty Plot sets)
dugtrio-a (both sets)
Gourgeist-s (choice sets)
Morpeko (band)
Poliwrath (all sets)
Uxie (pivot, lead sets)
Exeggutor (all sets)
Ivysaur (assuming sun is up)
Liepard (both sets)
Rapidash-galar (both sets)
Sableye (encore, taunt)
Thievul
Cramorant
Flapple (any sets)
Kangaskhan (whirlpool sets)
Lunatone
Lurantis
Throh
Abomasnow (all sets)
Crustle
Manectric (choice sets)
Ninetales
Pawniard
Pincurchin
Rotom-Fan (Nasty Plot)
Silvally-Flying
Golbat
Pyukumuku
Spiritomb
Trevenant
Type Null
Butterfree
carracosta
Silvally-water
Drifblim
Leafeon
Silvally-psychic
There’s also the problem when it comes to pivoting, as most Pokémon can pivot to one of these Pokémon above and cause it to lose without giving it a chance to set up.
In all cases, shell smash shuckle is outclassed by numerous bulky sweepers like gurdurr, nasty plot uxie, alcremie, spiritomb…shuckle should mainly stick to being a webs setter (and webs itself is a low priority in ZU right now because of the inclusion of heavy duty boots). Hope this helps with understanding how to deal with shell smash shuckle!

Thanks for the tips although because i didn't include the common move pool of the contray shell smash shuckle some of your advice is invalided. For example set up moves don't work because toxic will kill in 6 turns which is not enough to set up then kill for almost every pkmn and 90% of the Assuming standard sets list pkmn can't do any thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)