Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Yo, I have a question, what defines a tier like UnderUsed, RarelyUsed, or OverUsed? I'm new to competitive pokemon and I'd like to know the differences between the tiers so I can make a decision on which one I'd like to play more of.

• Love
Reactions: Rae

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yo, I have a question, what defines a tier like UnderUsed, RarelyUsed, or OverUsed? I'm new to competitive pokemon and I'd like to know the differences between the tiers so I can make a decision on which one I'd like to play more of.
Hey there! Smogon’s tiering system is mainly based off of usage, where every three months the usage stats for the tier’s respective ladder are sorted through and those who hit a certain threshold (I believe it’s 4.23 but don’t quote me on that) move into their suitable tier. For example, if Salamence were to hit the usage threshold percentage in OU, it would move into OverUsed. If it didn’t reach the required usage threshold percentage for UnderUsed, it would move into RarelyUsed.

As for finding out which one you like, I’ve linked the Smogon Pokédex here, which shows the Pokémon, what tier it is and even a competitive analysis on what it does in the tier! Checking out the other tier subforums is also a good idea if you want a view on the tier itself!

Hope this helps and good luck! :>

Hey there! Smogon’s tiering system is mainly based off of usage, where every three months the usage stats for the tier’s respective ladder are sorted through and those who hit a certain threshold (I believe it’s 4.23 but don’t quote me on that) move into their suitable tier. For example, if Salamence were to hit the usage threshold percentage in OU, it would move into OverUsed. If it didn’t reach the required usage threshold percentage for UnderUsed, it would move into RarelyUsed.

As for finding out which one you like, I’ve linked the Smogon Pokédex here, which shows the Pokémon, what tier it is and even a competitive analysis on what it does in the tier! Checking out the other tier subforums is also a good idea if you want a view on the tier itself!

Hope this helps and good luck! :>
yo thank you the replying so fast! So in theory, someone could go into OU and not even use an OU pokemon and still win games, right? Cuz there's pokemon in different tiers I'd like to use and build teams around that I think are cool. Also thank you again for the help!

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
yo thank you the replying so fast! So in theory, someone could go into OU and not even use an OU pokemon and still win games, right? Cuz there's pokemon in different tiers I'd like to use and build teams around that I think are cool. Also thank you again for the help!
Exactly you can use Pokémon from lower tiers in OU but you can't do the opposite, pretty much like russian dolls (you can fit in small dolls in the bigger ones but not the opposite). Also it's not because a Pokémon isn't OU that it's not viable in this tier, it just means it's not used enough to be considered OU. Same applies to every tiers, people use viable Pokémon from lower tiers all the time !

Reactions: Rae
Exactly you can use Pokémon from lower tiers in OU but you can't do the opposite, pretty much like russian dolls (you can fit in small dolls in the bigger ones but not the opposite). Also it's not because a Pokémon isn't OU that it's not viable in this tier, it just means it's not used enough to be considered OU. Same applies to every tiers, people use viable Pokémon from lower tiers all the time !
Thank ya'll so much! I really appreciate the help!

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
I noticed that Skarmory seems almost entirely absent from high-level play. Why is that?
Short answer: Thundurus-Therian

Long answer: Spikes are really nice, but Skarmory's got this awful case of being bulky but not really bulky enough to handle the things you'd want it to beat; it can't take Life Orb CCs from Mienshao, it can't take on Tapu Bulu or Zygarde10%, it's so easy to abuse with U-turn mons like Zarude and worst of all it's completely invalidated by Pokemon like Thundurus-T, Aegislash, Salamence, Moltres, Rotoms, Slowbro-G, Slowking, the list goes on... essentially it's relegated to balance/stall teams where it acts as the main insurance against Gyarados (notable for being a setup sweeper that completely craps on Quagsire) and other annoying things like Lycanroc-D, Mamoswine, Diggersby, and some Crawdaunts/Conkeldurrs, but those teams are just not that consistent atm. Hopefully that explains it well enough o7

Hi! I am new to the world of Pokemon Showdown and Smogon, and I am pretty interested in the OU, UU, and RU tiers, specifically UU. I am interested in building a UU sand or rain team, and I decided to start work shopping the sand team first. I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with UU weather teams and if they would like to help me out! I already know I will need a sand streamer(Gigalith), and I know Sand Rush Excadrill would be pretty good, but I would love some more help with building the team!

Hi! I am new to the world of Pokemon Showdown and Smogon, and I am pretty interested in the OU, UU, and RU tiers, specifically UU. I am interested in building a UU sand or rain team, and I decided to start work shopping the sand team first. I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with UU weather teams and if they would like to help me out! I already know I will need a sand streamer(Gigalith), and I know Sand Rush Excadrill would be pretty good, but I would love some more help with building the team!
If you are new to UU, I recommend using sample teams before building any of your own, just so you can play and see what everyone else is using. If you really wanted to get a great Sand team though, you could always make a request at The Teambuilding Lab and I'm sure someone would fix up something nice for you.

Were Quick Claw/King's Rock/Focus Band/Bright Powder ever actually banned? The StrategyDex doesn't mention them for OU, and the notion that these items are problematic is pretty outrageous to me, with 3 of them only being viable with specific abilities, and the fourth one being literal dog shit

EDIT: typo

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Are there any slow Wishporters around? Or even a Slow Voltturner to tank a hit before wishing?
We don't have any viable Wishporters, (Illegal combination on Chansey, most other potential users of it too frail to pull it off like Xatu/Garde or just too passive and a bit disappointing like Wiggly) and the best Wish mons in the tier don't run pivoting moves.

Best wisher is arguably Umbreon who has a huge defensive niche that lets it check half the tier and forces some more passive responses that can allow easier Wish passes due to its threatening combination of Foul Play + Toxic for offensive Pokemon, but only really fits on more defensive teams.

Why is Eletrivire so unviable? That's been bugging me since he was first introduced in his generation of origin. On papers he looks phenomenal, at least for UU, but he has always been seen as not so great. I'd have thought he'd be OU in his original gen, and UU here, but no.

Electivire's got a bunch of issues:
  • Too slow (only hitting 317 speed with maximum investment and a +Speed nature)
  • Not strong enough due to low base power on its coverage options, forcing it to run some kind of boosting item to really threaten things
  • Being a physically-oriented offensive Electric-type forces it to use Wild Charge as its STAB, which isn't that strong at only 90 base power and has recoil
  • It's vulnerable to all entry hazards
  • The above points force Electivire into a catch-22 based on what item it runs: it's either locked into a move and won't hit very hard if it runs Choice Scarf, or it's slower than an offensive threat would like to be and gets KO'd quickly if it runs Life Orb
  • Faces huge competition in every tier from better Electric-types (here in UU that'd be the extremely good Thundurus-Therian, the Rotom formes, and the much less common but still usable Raikou)
  • Offers very little defensive utility due to not resisting many attacks and mediocre defensive stats
  • No good offense-boosting moves like Swords Dance or Nasty Plot

Last edited:
Wow, that's wild, thanks. I look at his base stats, and I'm impressed, but I didn't consider how weak his moves are, despite the amazing coverage.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
When will the tier shift changes take effect?
PS has to be updated for the tier shifts first before this happens, this can usually happen from anywhere as little as 1-2 hours to over a day depending on how busy people are, should likely be done in not too long though.

In the meantime if you ask in the UU room we will be happy to make shifts roomtours for you if you want to test teams or play tiershifts if you ask any member of staff! You can also challenge other people to post shift games by turning your teams into [Gen8OU] formatting first.

Colin

formerly BeardedDrakon
is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
nah, its fine I am just inexperienced with this tier and saw this as an opportunity to see the tier re-develop and play again, thanks.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
What sort of EV spread is preferred on Hippowdon: physically defensive, specially defensive or mixed?

What sort of EV spread is preferred on Hippowdon: physically defensive, specially defensive or mixed?
We don't know yet! I personally am leaning more towards a special spread at the moment to help check Nihilego, Thundurus-Therian, and Aegislash, but it will likely depend on the needs of your team. If I had to guess, I would say some mixed spread will become the standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)