Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Why are a lot of Blissey sets running max spedef? I know Blissey isn’t very common but whenever its used it seems max spedef is favored. What changed for blissey to want to do this?

Why was Hisuian Zoroark able to use illusion a second time after after I broke it with Salt Cure?
If you break an Illusion, it comes back every time it switches in as the last alive mon on your team. The Illusion is something to worry about until H-Zoroark is dead.

What are people using to check Dragonite?
In general, checking Dnite is hard due to the amount of sets/coverage moves and tera options it can run. Tera normal is the most common for stab Espeed but as shown on the tera type index dragonite can run steel, fire, and even stuff like ground. mixed dragonite has also become common.

as far as the most common sets you'll encounter however (tera normal bulky dragon dance) a good way to chip it down and remove its multiscale is to get off a wisp. rotom-w is reliable at doing this as it has an immunity to eq, and tera normal espeed with no boosts doesn't do a whole lot if you're phys def rotom. tera skeledirge/garganacl to remove eq weakness can also chip dnite down with salt cure and wisp/hex respectively (or torch song if it's tera'd). Unaware users like Dondozo as well wall dnite. Hatterene also does a solid job of dealing with dnite, as it's able to paralyze dnite with nuzzle and also chip it down with draining kiss.

While these are the most common checks/ways to deal with dragonite, dragonite is very adaptable. It can run things like tera fire for wisp immunity, and stab fire punch. Band dragonite is becoming more common as a wallbreaker (has seen a decent amount of usage in SPL), and dragonite running hurricane as coverage with it's respectable SpA stat is also becoming more common and is extremely threatening

This replay from W7 of SPL doesn't demonstrate really how any of these "checks" can be used but rather does a good job of showing how Dragonite is very weak to chip, and Chaitanya's team is able to chip down dragonite without allowing for it any opening to setup, etc.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
How can I import the "blt9snorlaxes" pfp as my showdown avatar.
This is an exclusive avatar meant for players who played in the BLT IX tournament who were also on the Sunnyshore Snorlaxes team.

In regards to exclusive avatars, they are awarded to certain players in particular, mainly for winning tournaments or during tournament seasons, and they can all be found here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/all-avatars-on-pokémon-showdown.3535547/

Unfortunately normal users aren't able to use exclusive avatars.

Why are a lot of Blissey sets running max spedef? I know Blissey isn’t very common but whenever its used it seems max spedef is favored. What changed for blissey to want to do this?
Right now Blissey is mostly only used only on stall teams such as this one. Said teams can be rather weak to stuff like Stored Power Hatterene, Nasty Plot Tera Flying Gholdengo, or other special attackers that can overwhelm Clodsire. SpDef Blissey helps deal with these, usually making use of Calm Mind to make sure they can't break pass it.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Best tera types for these pokémon? Just don’t want to make a mistake with my Tera Shards

Breloom
Garganacl
Gholdengo
Rotom-W
Garchomp
Flutter Mane

Thanks in advance
If you are grinding tera shards on cart, you may want to ask this question on the BSS and VGC subforums. Optimal tera types in OU may not necessarily match the cart metas.

Depends specifically what you're looking for in terms of learning the game as a whole. If you're tying to learn OU (Gen 9), the best thing in my opinion is exposure but in order to get the exposure you need (via laddering) to read some of these links below:

Sample Teams (To try out)
Tera Type Index
Viability Ranking
Strategy Dex (SV OU)
Ah, I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned OU in my post, but I was wrong. I had been playing a sample HO team, but it's been a pain figuring out what the mons are supposed to do and what the general "Win Condition" is.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Ah, I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned OU in my post, but I was wrong. I had been playing a sample HO team, but it's been a pain figuring out what the mons are supposed to do and what the general "Win Condition" is.
I see, I would recommend looking at the RMTs we have available for SV OU: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sv-ou-teams.748/

A lot of RMTs have deep dives / descriptions on how the team is supposed to be used, I have my own RMT I posted recently and I go in depth on how the team was build, what's the purpose for each mon on the team, including replays on how the team is supposed to be used (Also there are other teams following the same format and detail but I'll just link mine out so you have an idea for RMTs you should look out for): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...e-pao-suspect-reqs-team-72-11-record.3717896/

Also signing up for Battling 101 (Which is having your a tutor specialized in SV OU assist you on becoming a better player):
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/apprentice-program-signups-sv-ou.3715591/

You have a guaranteed free switch-in against Water Absorb Clodsire :Clodsire: .
You can pick any available mon and set from the OU format. What do you pick?

This is my current pick:
:Orthworm:

Why hasn't there been a Speed Boost Clause like a Moody Clause.
Espathra.
espartha was only only broken because of the combination of stab stored power + calm mind + speed boost, and offensive tera typings ruining its few checks.

Is there a specific form for people to take a look at my team and give feedback or can i just but it in the general metagame discussion thread

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Is there a specific form for people to take a look at my team and give feedback or can i just but it in the general metagame discussion thread
Yeah, the RMT forums. Just make sure you select which tier you wanna ask feedback on. OU is a special has its own dedicated forum in the RMT section while every other tier is just stuffed into one. Here's the one for SV OU specifically

Wondering what happened in a recent Gen9 OU battle. I put down toxic spikes, then the other player's wugtrio used stomping tantrum. Next turn the opponent switched into Shroodle, and upon Shroodle coming onto the field my toxic spikes were cleared. Wondering what happened as Shroodle has no ability that clears entry hazards, and they didn't use any clearing move. Does Shroodle just have some thing where it clear toxic spikes on switch in? Because I have not been able to find anything describing any sort of ability like that on smogon.com or bulbopedia.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Wondering what happened in a recent Gen9 OU battle. I put down toxic spikes, then the other player's wugtrio used stomping tantrum. Next turn the opponent switched into Shroodle, and upon Shroodle coming onto the field my toxic spikes were cleared. Wondering what happened as Shroodle has no ability that clears entry hazards, and they didn't use any clearing move. Does Shroodle just have some thing where it clear toxic spikes on switch in? Because I have not been able to find anything describing any sort of ability like that on smogon.com or bulbopedia.
When a grounded poison type switches into toxic spikes, toxic spikes are cleared

What are the common checks or counters to a physical Dragapult? Primarily for a balanced or bulky offense team. If it can be checked without a priority move, even better, but I'm flexible, as I plan on utilizing psychic terrain (may not be a psyspam team, however).

So far I'm thinking Scarf Meow as a speed check, but I'd rather not have to scarf it if I can get away with it. A mom like Clod can handle specs.

What are the common checks or counters to a physical Dragapult? Primarily for a balanced or bulky offense team. If it can be checked without a priority move, even better, but I'm flexible, as I plan on utilizing psychic terrain (may not be a psyspam team, however).

So far I'm thinking Scarf Meow as a speed check, but I'd rather not have to scarf it if I can get away with it. A mom like Clod can handle specs.
Garg, and in particular Tera Fairy Garg, easily deals with any Dragapult set you may encounter (except the odd Tera Steel Tera Blast variant which nobody runs). Takes nothing from Ghost moves, can't be statused, and after you Tera Fairy will be immune to Dragon moves. It's particularly nice if you have Curse and can therefore boost alongside Sub DD variants.

Reactions: R8
As someone getting back into it, I'm gonna withhold my disdain for that salt pile and give it a proper go. A solid answer is a solid answer. At least until my experience catches up. Thanks.

Why wasn't Walking-Wake, more like Walking-Mid. Sorry... But why wasn't Walking-Wake banned from OU? I'm aware the suspect test didn't get enough Ban votes. But what I mean is, why wasn't it banned? I remember people complaining about it, and how it was so much of a threat it was in games. And how if you didn't prepare for it you'd be screwed. I haven't seen much of it, but in most games, I wasn't really scared of it and outplayed it somewhat easily. Were people overacting to just a solid mon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)