Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is there a galarian Slowking set that has black sludge instead of assault vest? If yes, what is the set it runs and what is it supposed to do?
Yeah glowking can run Nasty Plot sets such as the one below. The moves and EVs are really flexible, but it's common to run at least 44 speed to creep pex.

Slowking-Galar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

What sort of structure would you pair with Offensive Pivot Dragapult?

Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Specs feels pretty plug and play on a lot of teams, but I don't quite understand how to build around this set.

What set does Specs Aegislash usually use? It only really has Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon as its special moves (does it even really need Flash Cannon, since everything it hits, ghost + fighting already hits) so does it run Shadow Sneak and Close Combat in the remaining two moves? And what EV spread (max speed or no speed or somewhere inbetween) and nature does it usually run? -Speed, -Atk (with phys attacking moves) or - either defense?

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What set does Specs Aegislash usually use? It only really has Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon as its special moves (does it even really need Flash Cannon, since everything it hits, ghost + fighting already hits) so does it run Shadow Sneak and Close Combat in the remaining two moves? And what EV spread (max speed or no speed or somewhere inbetween) and nature does it usually run? -Speed, -Atk (with phys attacking moves) or - either defense?
Toxic is viable for middle grounds or catching faster things that can kill sword Aegislash, but usually it’s SBall / FCannon / CCombat / SSneak. If you want to shock a +1 SDef Clef or sacrifice yourself for momentum on a HO team, SBeam is good for a nuke as well.

You tend to still run Modesr as CC is seldom needed and calcs don’t change enough to warrant anything else. Speed tiers include max speed for RotomW and slow LandoT and opposing Aegi, 190s for slow Tran and utility DNite, 180ish for Skarm creep, and then you get into the 160s for slow Clef/Tar and fast Melm. Depends on team and preference really.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I know this is not very OU related, but im trying to build an OU hail team but im struggling to fit the last mon, is there a place where i can ask and talk about unfinished teams so i can get a clue? thanks in advance

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Is there merit to setting weather manually? Like are there cases where it could work better than setting it with abilities?
There isn't an upside to using weather manually. In some formats, weather setters are banned from a specific tier and therefore weather needs to be manually set. However in SS OU, there is no reason not to use a setter.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Is there merit to setting weather manually? Like are there cases where it could work better than setting it with abilities?
Not really. While just about any pokemon can learn the weather moves, it is a significant opportunity cost since it is one of your moveslots. You're still gonna be limited to the pokemon that thrive in the weather archetype anyway so might as well use the automatic weather as to not waste the moveslot

Why cant we unban baton pass? ban boosting options alongside it? baton pass alone is just not broken it functions just like teleport uturn or volt switch.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Why cant we unban baton pass? ban boosting options alongside it? baton pass alone is just not broken it functions just like teleport uturn or volt switch.
You're correct in saying that it functions as U-Turn, Volt Switch (or more accurate Teleport). However, I don't think you've taken into account the amount of mons that actually get this move. Suddenly, hard defences can now pivot without having to switch and see what their opponent does. The difference between this and the other pivoting moves, is that the amount of viable mons that get those moves are much more restricted.

I once asked the same question and I believe Worldie sent me the following vid:

Shows pretty well how fucky BP is

but without any boosting options how can it be broken??
Ah sorry I didn't read the whole question

I think there was discussion on it and some metas tried it out but complex bans (bans that contain combinations of things, for example no BP with boosting moves) are considered problematic as they might scare off new players

I think there are other reasons too but I can't fully remember now ...

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
but without any boosting options how can it be broken??
Because it would take a complex ban and those things just lead to a lot of never ending discussion about ban x with y and so on. Most of the time, it's just better to ban one thing rather than make a complex ban

Because it would take a complex ban and those things just lead to a lot of never ending discussion about ban x with y and so on. Most of the time, it's just better to ban one thing rather than make a complex ban
Many defensive mons like diancie in lower tiers would love the increase in their viability. if a complex ban is needed why not?Why are we manually nerfing some mons?

Many defensive mons like diancie in lower tiers would love the increase in their viability. if a complex ban is needed why not?Why are we manually nerfing some mons?
It's not manually nerfing some mons, your proposal is creating a complex ban for the specific purpose of buffing some mons. Baton pass is banned, that is the current state, and we should not make a complex ban because "i dunno it might help diancie maybe"

Also, just banning stat boosting isn't as simple in practice as on paper. What if a faster opponent uses swagger as you baton pass? Do you lose on the spot now for breaking the rules? Do we ban pokemon with moxie or defiant from having baton pass, or only from using it if they have been boosted? It creates a lot of weird niche edge cases.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
As I said, it would just lead to a lot of nonstop complex ban proposals. I remember a poketuber mentioning that when a complex ban about rain was implemented, a few guys went 'oh why not just ban speed boost on Blaziken instead of banning him entirely?'. Once you get the idea, the only limits to these kinds of things is simply your imagination. 'Why not ban a Tapu Lele + psychic surge instead of banning Lele outright' or 'why not ban a future sight paired with teleport'. The moment someone mentions the banning of a combination of things, there would be no end to those discussions. So keep it simple. Ban the most broken part and if something else becomes broken, ban that too. Although the first example I used isn't really broken, that's just an example. That complex ban is Aldaron's Proposal

Some questions before the end of SwSh:

1- What happened with the viability of :Zapdos-Galar:? I stopped to see the news a couple of months ago, and the first thing I noticed is that it felt to B+. What is hurting :Zapdos-Galar:?

2- Is Levitate :Magnezone: a viable option? Maybe it can escape Earthquake moves (except Break Mold :Excadrill:), but as I don't usually play with :Magnezone: I still didn't try it.

3- Is Dragon Dance :Hydreigon: a good option? This is actually a set from UU, but I've been using it, and every time I can lure a special wall, like :blissey:. But I don't know how is it in serious play.

4- What are the main threats that :Gastrodon: should keep in check? And is it better to run a Special or Physical EV investment or a midground option? I usually run Special EVs, but feel like :Gastrodon:'s main utility is to avoid Knock Offs. That's why I am trying Physical investment with Leftovers to keep its health, but I don't know if this is a good idea.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Some questions before the end of SwSh:

1- What happened with the viability of :Zapdos-Galar:? I stopped to see the news a couple of months ago, and the first thing I noticed is that it felt to B+. What is hurting :Zapdos-Galar:?

2- Is Levitate :Magnezone: a viable option? Maybe it can escape Earthquake moves (except Break Mold :Excadrill:), but as I don't usually play with :Magnezone: I still didn't try it.

3- Is Dragon Dance :Hydreigon: a good option? This is actually a set from UU, but I've been using it, and every time I can lure a special wall, like :blissey:. But I don't know how is it in serious play.

4- What are the main threats that :Gastrodon: should keep in check? And is it better to run a Special or Physical EV investment or a midground option? I usually run Special EVs, but feel like :Gastrodon:'s main utility is to avoid Knock Offs. That's why I am trying Physical investment with Leftovers to keep its health, but I don't know if this is a good idea.
1. Galarian Zapdos tends to kill itself very quickly especially since around that time, rocky helmet Ferrothorn and Pex became common. Not only that, regular Zapdos has become a menace now with its powerful stab combo, which incidentally counters its galarian form. If that wasn't bad enough, even click u turn on galarian Zapdos into a regular Zapdos would get you punished real bad. In short, it dies too quickly and its regular form is very strong in the current meta

2. Magnezone doesn't even have levitate to begin with

3. For now, it is unexplored. Hydreigon is usually specs or nasty plot in ou and luring Blisseey isn't a huge gamebreaker because the blob has fallen on hard times. However, I would wager not really since many of the walls are usually physical now like Ferro or Pex whereas if you have a specs set, you just spam dark pulse until everything dies or you click flash cannon and weaken Clef then you continue to spam dark pulse

4. Heatran, Koko, Zapdos, special Dragapult, wash Rotom, Volcanion, and rain. You usually want special investment to be able to handle all these threats and sticky hold is a good idea but the ability to shut down half a rain team is just too good to pass up. Against rain, their only option is just to use Barraskewda to close combat you and until that happens, you pretty much a massive roadblock to Seismetoad and their hurricane spamming flying types. Also, the special defense is crucial to be able to beat Koko, Zapdos and Dragapult. Without it, you're just slight chip away from dying to their moves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)