Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Why is she on council lol

View attachment 458387
Hey Ewin, it has not been months but only something like a few weeks and people contributing are free to be on loa when they want/need a break. This doesn't even mean she doesn't do anything, and, as someone who see stuff from the inside, I can tell you that she is far from being inactive. Now, this thread is not really meant for this kind of questions and if you have any issue with someone in the council (or forum staff) you are free to PM a Tier Leader (or Forum Leader).

Over the course of Crown Tundra, why/how did Choice Band Melmetal go from an amazing set (that could cheese stuff like Corv/Pex with enough hax/prediction) to be considered a "niche set that needs extreme support like Trick Room"?

Is this how healing wish is supposed to work? Opponent used healing wish on turn 4, but it only activated on turn 14? I figure it's because all of his mons were at full health when they switched in and then when one that was chipped switched in it activated, but I thought healing wish was supposed to bring a mon in at the end of the turn to heal. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1685200716-66t9p0fdowo7wxtj68d5cp1w9vpzmbapw
Yeah, Healing Wish was changed in Gen 8 to be stored until a healable Mon comes in

why has scarf lando basically fallen off into notingness. i dont think ive ever seen a single scarf lando, although to be fair i play around the 1000s-1400s, if that has anything to do with my experience

Yeah, Healing Wish was changed in Gen 8 to be stored until a healable Mon comes in
Does it have to be healable when it comes in, or just be in a healable state after HW goes off?

For example, if my Garchomp comes in at full health after HW, gets hit by something for 40%, does he go back to 100%, or do I have to switch him back in again for the recovery to affect him?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Why have Excadrill and Tyranitar seen a resurgence in popularity?
Tyranitar still has that massive 134 attack stat, a colorful movepool and the bulk to take a hit. Stone edge, if it hits, is also very strong since it forms a cool combo with crunch and most switch ins don't really want to take a hit. It also functions as a crucial ghost resist and overrides the weather. It's presence on a team prevents you from being at a disadvantage against weather teams. Tyranitar usually runs choice band as its sole set with the one exception when you see Excadrill and Dracozolt as its teammates in which case it is probably smooth rck

Excadrill just benefited from Tyranitar. They've been bffs since they met and with Heatran now being the dominant rocker, Corviknight dropped in usage which means Excadrill is very happy about that. Buzzwall is still an issue for the both of them but that's nothing too unreasonable since any physical offense team needs a plan to deal with Buzzwall

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What are the common spreads that Ferrothorn, calm mind Clefable, non offensive Garchomp, the bulky Rillaboom run?

What are the common spreads that Ferrothorn, calm mind Clefable, non offensive Garchomp, the bulky Rillaboom run?
Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

I think ferro runs either max defence or max special defense. I'm not 100% sure about the garchomp set, but that set was in Storm Zone's Glowking stallerbreaker team.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Clefable @ Life Orb
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

I think ferro runs either max defence or max special defense. I'm not 100% sure about the garchomp set, but that set was in Storm Zone's Glowking stallerbreaker team.
Thanks a lot

Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Clefable @ Life Orb
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

Garchomp speed can be quite flexible no speed works here for sure probably most common would be enough for timid nido though plenty of ones that work

op by Celticpride

This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering, to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Swagger unbanned???" or "Was Unaware nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; Uncharted Territory is for competitive discussion only.

As a reminder because something like this is posted often:
  • In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon nor abilities are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be banned, suspected, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon or abilities will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be unbanned.
  • Do NOT talk about dropping Pokemon from Ubers. This is not the place for that. PM a council member if you want more information.
I really want to understand how to determine switch in Pokémon much faster, does it come with time and experience, or are there tips and tricks to understanding switch ins at a faster rate? (I'm a bit new to the competitive scene, so I'm not always clear on terminology)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I really want to understand how to determine switch in Pokémon much faster, does it come with time and experience, or are there tips and tricks to understanding switch ins at a faster rate? (I'm a bit new to the competitive scene, so I'm not always clear on terminology)
You don't determine the incoming enemy pokemon faster. All you can do is think about what options they have and what they might use. Think of pokemon like a game of chess but with much more randomness. In chess, you constantly think about what the other guy might do and what they're plan is. Of course in pokemon you have to do things like scouting what set their mons are but often times you can make educated guesses based on the team composition and which moves their teammates have used

Hey, so not sure if this is a *simple* question per se, but I haven't really played Pokemon at all since like, Gen 4 and I've found the current generation's metagame to be waaay overwhelming in terms of mechanics that are overall unfamiliar to me. I'm sure "haven't played in ages, want to get into competitive play, but am struggling with the learning curve" is a common story but I'm really just not sure where to look to learn more about the current meta. I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a rundown of some of the major shifts since Gen 4-5 (or point me in the direction of some already existing resources that do this) & help me out with some resources to get a basic grip on the current competitive landscape (probably OU, at least to start). I've read thru writeups about individual Pokemon and such on the Smogon Dex pages which has been super useful! But I still don't feel like I have a grasp on the overall landscape and when I play matches not only do I lose, but I feel pretty lost the whole time haha. Appreciate it! :)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hey, so not sure if this is a *simple* question per se, but I haven't really played Pokemon at all since like, Gen 4 and I've found the current generation's metagame to be waaay overwhelming in terms of mechanics that are overall unfamiliar to me. I'm sure "haven't played in ages, want to get into competitive play, but am struggling with the learning curve" is a common story but I'm really just not sure where to look to learn more about the current meta. I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a rundown of some of the major shifts since Gen 4-5 (or point me in the direction of some already existing resources that do this) & help me out with some resources to get a basic grip on the current competitive landscape (probably OU, at least to start). I've read thru writeups about individual Pokemon and such on the Smogon Dex pages which has been super useful! But I still don't feel like I have a grasp on the overall landscape and when I play matches not only do I lose, but I feel pretty lost the whole time haha. Appreciate it! :)
The viability rankings should be your first stop. It gives you a general idea of which pokemon are good and how good they are. Of course, look up their analysis pages so you can get an idea of what role you can expect them to be. Your next stop should be the sample teams. As the name suggest, these are teams created by ou players for newer players to get into the tier. To get more of an idea, you might want to visit the tournament forum and see how other high level players play. The current ongoing tournament is smogon champion league and you can find the replays here

I can give you a rundown of some of the significant changes in current gen eight from last gen

No more pursuit. Don't rely on Tyranitar easily deleting any ghost or psychics in the game. Pursuit has been removed so those types are now more free to run wild

No more mega stones or z crystals. If a pokemon can learn knock off, it's safe to assume that they're gonna have knock off and start spamming that move like crazy. Not always but just a safe assumption

THe most bullshit addition that gamefuck could ever add into the game has been added into the game, a way to ignore hazards, heavy duty boots. Pokemon like Tornadus, Zapdos and Weavile love this piece of shit. Hazards are still very good but definitely not as good as they were in previous gens

Defog now removes hazards on both sides of the field and the ones that commonly use them are Landorus, Tornadus, Zapdos and Corviknight

Hidden power has been remove. Don't count on your Keldeo suddenly being able to beat that Jellicent or Gastrodon anymore. If you want your pokemon to beat their counters, you now have to work for it. No more get out of jail card

That's all I can think of right now

----

What ev spread does Buzzwall use right now? Is it still the same as the one in its analysis page? And speaking of that, that spread outspeeds adamant Bisharp iirc but what does the hp and attack evs accomplish?

The viability rankings should be your first stop. It gives you a general idea of which pokemon are good and how good they are. Of course, look up their analysis pages so you can get an idea of what role you can expect them to be. Your next stop should be the sample teams. As the name suggest, these are teams created by ou players for newer players to get into the tier. To get more of an idea, you might want to visit the tournament forum and see how other high level players play. The current ongoing tournament is smogon champion league and you can find the replays here

I can give you a rundown of some of the significant changes in current gen eight from last gen

No more pursuit. Don't rely on Tyranitar easily deleting any ghost or psychics in the game. Pursuit has been removed so those types are now more free to run wild

No more mega stones or z crystals. If a pokemon can learn knock off, it's safe to assume that they're gonna have knock off and start spamming that move like crazy. Not always but just a safe assumption

THe most bullshit addition that gamefuck could ever add into the game has been added into the game, a way to ignore hazards, heavy duty boots. Pokemon like Tornadus, Zapdos and Weavile love this piece of shit. Hazards are still very good but definitely not as good as they were in previous gens

Defog now removes hazards on both sides of the field and the ones that commonly use them are Landorus, Tornadus, Zapdos and Corviknight

Hidden power has been remove. Don't count on your Keldeo suddenly being able to beat that Jellicent or Gastrodon anymore. If you want your pokemon to beat their counters, you now have to work for it. No more get out of jail card

That's all I can think of right now

----

What ev spread does Buzzwall use right now? Is it still the same as the one in its analysis page? And speaking of that, that spread outspeeds adamant Bisharp iirc but what does the hp and attack evs accomplish?
The HP is for CB kart and SD weavile and the attack is a dump.

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 166-196 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 306-363 (77.8 - 92.3%) -- approx. 2HKO

I'm pretty sure that Buzzwole's spread is pretty customizable.
Here are some teams by good players with defensive buzzwall, spreads are all different.

https://pokepast.es/945c85f34860f041

https://pokepast.es/5a6bcf80ca8f8dfc

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
hey, i saw this post and was curious as to why slowbro/the slowkings weren't listed under "trick room abusers"? is there something about them that makes them hard to use as viable trick room abusers? cuz i figured them being slow lads and their high general viability would make them appealing fits for that role

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-role-compendium.3657644/#post-8310231
they are able to click trick room and then teleport out to big breakers, which makes them good candidates for trick room teams. i would say abuser is a fringe label for it as it's moreso a user, but trick room being a niche style does not deserve a substantial portion of that thread

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Is there a galarian Slowking set that has black sludge instead of assault vest? If yes, what is the set it runs and what is it supposed to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)