Rules Simple Questions, Simple Answers / Little Cup Information / Forum Rules

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why is Houndour unbanned???" or "Was Regenerator nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; the LC subforum is for competitive discussion only.

Please make sure to read the FAQ below before asking your question. It may already be covered.

What is Little Cup, and what makes it different than the other tiers?
Little Cup is a very unique and interesting tier. Unlike other tiers, which are based around level 100 Pokemon, Little Cup plays with Pokemon that are all level 5. Also, Little Cup further restricts the rules to include only Pokemon that can evolve and are the lowest evolution in their evolution chains. This creates a drastically different metagame in Little Cup than from other tiers, and Little Cup contains a lot of Pokemon that you simply would never see used anywhere else in competitive Pokemon. Because of its uniqueness, Little Cup exists in a state of its own-- it has its very own banlist, which means bans made in other tiers don't affect Little Cup at all (for example, in SM, Ferroseed was considered NU, but was also legal in Little Cup). It's a ground for baby Pokemon to grit their teeth and show their evolved counterparts how powerful they can be as well.

If you are asking this question, this thread may be helpful to you.

What Pokemon are legal in Little Cup?
See here.

Where do I play Little Cup?
You can follow the link here to Pokemon Showdown's Little Cup room!

How do I get involved with Little Cup?
A great place to talk to fellow lovers of Little Cup is on the Little Cup room on Pokemon Showdown! Another great place to talk to us is the Little Cup Discord which can be found here!

Finally, one of the best ways to contribute to Little Cup is by posting in the forums! I know that doing so can be intimidating if you aren't that interested in a discussion, or are unsure what to post. Rest assured, Little Cup is a judgment free zone. We recommend and even encourage posting from people of any experience level. Keep in mind that every "good" player started off as a "noob" once. We all get better via practice and via contributing, so please do so to your heart's content. If you have any questions about how to contribute, then please don't hesitate to talk to any of the more experienced members of the Little Cup community.

Q: Why is X not implemented correctly on PS?
Implementing a new generation on PS is a lot of work and everything won't be coded properly on the first days. PS developers are working on it, and some mechanics need to be tested in game first before being implemented, which takes more time.

Q: Why is X banned/not banned yet?
The LC council is keeping a close eye on the metagame and how it evolves. Things are always a bit chaotic on new gen start, but unhealthy and broken Pokemon/mechanics will end being banned or suspect tested sooner or later. This thread is not a place to ask for specific bans/unbans. If you want to see the reasoning on a banned Pokemon, lurk a bit in the forum and you should find a thread about its ban.

Q: Is X Pokemon viable in LC?
A Viability Rankings thread will be made as soon as we are able to rank all the Pokemon of this new metagame properly. This thread lists all the viable Pokemon in LCand rank them in category from the most viable to the least viable.

Q: What is a suspect test?
In order to decide if a given Pokemon/move/mechanic should be banned or unbanned from the tier, the council can decide to let the community vote through a process called a suspect test. During two weeks, you will have to play on the LC ladder under a new username using a given prefix to try reaching requirements which are a minimum GXE for a given number of games played. Posting a proof of reaching these requirements will allow you to take part to a vote to decide the outcome of the suspect test.

Q: I made this team, can I have advices to improve it?
This is not the place to ask for feedback on your team and you should make a thread in the RMT forum instead. Please make sure to read their rules before doing so, and in particular to add some description to your team in order to help raters understand your choices.

LC Forum Moderators:

Coconut
Fiend
Merritt
tazz
goldenghost

The LC Council:

Coconut
Fiend
Acehunter1
Hacker
KSG
kythr
LilyAC
tazz

As a reminder, because something like this is posted often:
  • In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon nor abilities are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be banned, suspected, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon or abilities will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be unbanned.
  • Do NOT talk about dropping Pokemon from Ubers. This is not the place for that. PM a council member if you want more information.
If you have a question that can be answered in one post, please ask it here.

When posting in the thread, please follow these guidelines:
  1. Make sure that your post is relevant to Scarlet and Violet Little Cup
  2. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it were the simplest of questions.
  3. Do NOT ask for anything that could be considered illegal. This includes anything related to hacking, Action Replay, ROMs, and 3ds hacking.
  4. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands. This subforum is for competitive discussion only. Asking about specific breeding moves and why a certain illegality exists is okay, though.
In addition to the information above, if you want permission to post your own thread please ask either Coconut, Fiend, or Merritt.

Drifting

in my glo stance smokin' dope
is a Tiering Contributor
I must have missed that information, but where can we submit teams to get ratings and advice?
You have two options:

If you want quick feedback you can join the LC Discord, people there will be more than willing to help fix any glaring issues and help optimise your team.

If you want a more detailed analysis and feedback you can try the Rate My Team Sub-Forum, though it might take a while to get a response, if you do get one at all.

If I were you I'd probably just try the Discord, but both work.

Did tandemaus get banned? I can’t find an announcement post for it. I’m also curious what the reason is, since showdown is telling me it can’t use pop bomb since it’s a level up move

Drifting

is a Tiering Contributor
Did tandemaus get banned? I can’t find an announcement post for it. I’m also curious what the reason is, since showdown is telling me it can’t use pop bomb since it’s a level up move
Tandemaus was one of the Autobans at the start of the gen alongside Basculin, Sneasel and Scyther.

As for the population bomb thing, that's a bug with showdown. It's currently believed that there is a way to obtain it at Level 5 through breeding genderless mons with picnics in-game.

Is there currently a thread with the current banned Mons in gen 9 LC. All I can see is the dunsparce ban in the main thread.

Is there currently a thread with the current banned Mons in gen 9 LC. All I can see is the dunsparce ban in the main thread.
If you are in the LC Discord then one of the TLs post in the announcement channel whenever something is banned. Right now the ban list is:

Scyther, Sneasel, Sneasel-H, Basculin, Tandemaus, Murkrow, Meditite, Dunsparce

If I’m missing one, feel free to correct me @ anybody.

Drifting

is a Tiering Contributor
What's the plan for gen 9 LC mon analyses?
it’s very early in the generation so there are no plans for now, but when things get settled “slates” of analyses up for grabs will be posted in the C&C forum.

the easiest way to stay up to date is to keep tabs on the QC channel in the LC Discord.

Sooooo I’m confused about Stantler. It’s on the list of LC-eligible Pokémon, but I haven’t seen anyone talk about it, nor is it listed anywhere on the VR. There’s no way to evolve it in Scarlet and Violet right now, nor is there a way to get Wyrdeer any other way, but Stantler does have “can evolve” parameters and is compatible with Eviolite, unlike Meltan last gen. Is it not considered legal right now because of the inability to evolve it? Or is there some information on it that I’m missing? Forgive me if this has already been clarified, but I looked around and legitimately wasn’t able to find a statement on it anywhere.

Drifting

is a Tiering Contributor
Sooooo I’m confused about Stantler. It’s on the list of LC-eligible Pokémon, but I haven’t seen anyone talk about it, nor is it listed anywhere on the VR. There’s no way to evolve it in Scarlet and Violet right now, nor is there a way to get Wyrdeer any other way, but Stantler does have “can evolve” parameters and is compatible with Eviolite, unlike Meltan last gen. Is it not considered legal right now because of the inability to evolve it? Or is there some information on it that I’m missing? Forgive me if this has already been clarified, but I looked around and legitimately wasn’t able to find a statement on it anywhere.
Stantler is not considered Little Cup yet because it can't be evolved in SV. To be eligible in LC a Pokemon has to follow three rules:

1. All Pokemon need to be level 5.
  2. The Pokemon must be able to evolve, but be in the lowest stage of evolution. For example Pichu is legal, but Pikachu is not.
  3. All Pokemon must be attainable in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
Note that parameters, or whether a Pokemon can use Eviolite does not determine eligiblity (consider that LC existed before Eviolite). A Pokemon must simply follow the rules above. Meltan isn't legal because you can only evolve it in Pokemon GO.

Last edited:

Drifting

is a Tiering Contributor
Why was level 5 decided to be LC’s level?
Little Cup is actually one of (if not the only) Smogon tier that has a basis in the Pokemon games themselves.

"Little Cup" was a playable game-mode first introduced in Pokemon Stadium 2, where only the lowest pokemon in an evolution chain can be used, and where the maximum level is of course 5. Obviously there are some differences in how the tier was implemented in Smogon than in the games, but to answer your question, that's where it comes from.

NotJackewu

Banned deucer.
Can someone explain to me what Deerling's role is? Surprised to see it so high on the initial Viability Rankings.
Deerling is mostly used as a Serene Grace paraflincher, by using Thunder Wave and either Headbutt or Zen headbutt.
Synthesis allows it to stay healthy as it takes hits fairly well with eviolite. The fact it has 18 speed means its faster than probably 90% of the pokemon in this tier so thats nice also.

Hope that helps!

Drifting

is a Tiering Contributor
Can someone explain to me what Deerling's role is? Surprised to see it so high on the initial Viability Rankings.
To elaborate a bit more, the reason why it is so much better than it ever has been is because of how centralising Toedscool is. Deerling is basically the only mon that wants to come in on Toed other than Snover, who hates stealth rock, making deerling extremely useful.

I've come to notice that smogon lists moves that the pokemon can learn past lvl5 for LC. I've tried multiple methods ingame to obtain moves on a mon below lvl5 but I haven't found any successful way. For example makuhita learning belly drum at lvl 25.

I've come to notice that smogon lists moves that the pokemon can learn past lvl5 for LC. I've tried multiple methods ingame to obtain moves on a mon below lvl5 but I haven't found any successful way. For example makuhita learning belly drum at lvl 25.
I'm no breeding expert but this is what Bulbapedia says:

"If both parents know a move that the baby can learn via leveling up, the Pokémon will inherit that move."

If I understand that correctly, then I assume if you breed two Hariyamas with Belly Drum the baby will have Belly Drum when it hatches at Level 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)