Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters
Since there haven't been a lot of new topic's on Orange Islands aside from the big Hoenn confirmed I though it was time to make a new thread, shiny Pokemon experiences. Ever since generation 2 shiny Pokemon have been in the game and they have been some of the most sought after Pokemon there are. What are your shiny Pokemon experiences and how did you get your first shiny. Did you get it through breeding, wonder trade or simply walking around in Viridian forest. Also what Pokemon was your first shiny and do you still have it. Are shiny Pokemon still rare for you or do you find them every day. Many questions to answer so let me talk about the shiny Pokemon I got first.

Aside from the Red Gyarados I didn't obtain my first shiny Pokemon until a few months ago. When I was playing Pixelmon ( I played it a bit ) I was walking through the desert to level up my Pokemon when I found a shiny Sandile. I had already used Krookodile in Pokemon Black so I know how much of a beast it was so I was really happy my first shiny Pokemon didn't suck. I haven't named or even trained my shiny Sandile and I actually started a new Minecraft Pixelmon world but I am still a proud owner of my shiny Sandile.

I actually found my second shiny Pokemon the next day on Pixelmon when I was leveling up my Pokemon's in the mountains this time. I was walking along looking for some Rhydon's when I saw a gold ball on my screen. I walked towards it and BAM shiny Geodude! I was able to catch it because it didn't have Selfdestruct yet and while it took me quite a few Ultra Balls I got it anyway. Again haven't gotten around too naming or training him yet and he will probably never be a Golem ( Won't trust people with my shiny Geodude ) but still a cool Pokemon to have.

Again my third and last shiny Pokemon was caught not too long ago but this time on my Pokemon Soul Silver. I was training up my in game Jolteon to level 100 when I found a shiny Seaking in the Water. It was my first shiny Pokemon in an actual Pokemon game so I was pretty darn exited. I caught it with a Quick Ball on the second turn and now this Quirky Seaking is sitting on my Soul Silver cartridge in my PC box. Taking nicknames for Seaking by the way since I want to nickname this special Seaking.

So what was your experience with shiny Pokemon? Feel free to post about all your shiny Pokemon experiences and what shiny Pokemon mean to you.

I've found 4 shinies in my thousands of hours of Pokemon. My luck is not as good as some others however I don't use methods like chain fishing or masuda method as that takes the fun out IMO. I like finding a shiny Pokemon to be a random but awesome moment.

My first shiny was a Slugma in Emerald. I was playing with my friend and when he saw it he thought it was a glitch. I had heard of shinies before but I thought it was just a myth as this was before I used the internet. It was a great moment. My second shiny was in Pokemon Black where I found a shiny Swadloon. I have found 2 shinies in the Pokemon Safari in Y, a Sandshrew and a Growlithe.

Last edited:
You know the red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage in Johto? That one was my first, all the way from Crystal version. My Crystal version's internal battery is long dead so obviously I don't still have it. I encountered a shiny Zubat which I failed to catch in the Ice Path, and there was this shiny Suicune I fainted because I was an idiot. I've also had shinies pop out of the mystery egg from the day care (I think it's a 50% chance for that to happen) and encountered shiny Rattata and Drowzee.

Lately, I have five. The event Creation Trio, a shiny Swirlix caught on Route 7, and a shiny Bergmite caught in the Friend Safari after my second encounter. I haven't really tried chain fishing yet, and haven't had any success with the Masuda Method so far.

Some people value shiny Pokemon like Legendary ones, if not more. I enjoy the ones I have found on my own, but the thought of giving up a Legendary for one is ridiculous to me. Then again, many of the requests over the GTS are ridonkulous...

I definitely value them over legendaries. Shinies are 1 in 8192 and legends are 1 in 1.
Depends on waht legendary Pokemon for me. Shiny Pokemon are more valuable than Zygarde, Yvetal, Zapdos and the likes because everyone can get them, event Pokemon like Deoxys and Mew are a lot rarer though.

I had the red Gyarados and one of the shiny event Johto beasts. The only shiny I have ever naturally found was Poochyena in Emerald, a year ago. I've been playing for 14 years. :/

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well if we're gonna be talking about firsts then I've gotta say that way back then me and my brother called them 'sparklies'. My first sparkly (not including gyara) was an Unown I on my second playthrough of crystal. I actually kept it with me for the whole story, it's mighty dragon type hidden power coming in handy against Claire's Kingdra! I remember also finding a sparkly Oddish near Vermillion city that wiped out my whole team while I failed to capture it. Pretty sure I fished up a Staryu near Violet city too

Everyone was calling them shinies by RSE, my first (and only one I can remember from gen 3) was a Magnemite on my first encounter in new Mawville (not first playthrough though) which I affectionately named Rusty. Being an electric type in water world Hoenn meant that he was over levelled as hell and easy MVP, he was my favourite. That was the last playthrough I had of that game until gen 4 was well under way. I went on hiatus pretty much until platinum was out and HGSS were coming out. I decided I was gonna save for a DS and get the games but in the meantime I was excited and wanted to play Pokemon again so I promptly deleted my sapphire save and played through again without first trading Rusty to another game...

Since then I've never really had any sweet shiny luck. I was once trying to pokeradar a shiny Shinx and got a random one (I swear the grass didn't flash) that was also adamant without using a synchroniser! Also found a shiny Tentacool on the way to Lugia that actually became a decent party member. My only shiny of gen 5 was a Frillish while trying to navigate the currents on the way to the Larvesta egg. Then in gen 6 I've accidentally masuda'd a shiny Torchic, Fletchling and Poliwag. I say accidentally because they were mid-breeding project and so have crap natures and IVs, so they just sit in my PC and look nice. I don't have the patience to to Masuda on end and hope for a flawless shiny. I think the best ones are the unexpected ones that pop up in the wild during your story and become part of your team (I never planned to use Magnemite, Tentacool or Frillish), but I also wouldn't be upset if I hatched an Orange Charmander with a decent spread either lol

Great hearing all about you're guys shiny experiences. I do think it is sad however that shiny Pokemon haven't exactly been that rare even since Black and White 2 started giving out shiny Pokemon in game and in generation 6 everybody can get a shiny these days. Shiny Pokemon are worth more in older generations but that is just my opinions.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
After a couple hundred hours of playing FireRed, I finally stumbled across a shiny Pidgeotto on Three Island. I caught it, trained it, eveolved it, and used it as a sort of "utility mon" for training my team. Whenever a fresh batch of recruits were sent to train, first vs. wild Pokémon and later Vs. Seeker trainers on One Island, Pidgeot accompanied them. Pidgeot could Fly from place to place, and its (eventual) high level meant it could step in in an emergency and take out the enemy if the recruits were failing.

A good while later, when training, I found my second-ever Shiny: A Pidgey. After more than five hundred hours of FireRed, those two remain the only shinies I ever caught in that game. As if to mock me, the two were the same species. The shiny Pidgey remained a Pidgey, I never trained it. I already had a shiny Pidgeot, and its level-up movepool is boring as heck anyway.

Later, I played Pearl a lot and found my third one: Staravia. After that, I practically stopped looking. Regional birds are fine and all, but they don't make very exciting shinies. I've kept finding shinies in later years too; a Kricketune, a Tentacool and a Lotad. Not exactly the most fun shinies out there, and since Lotad was found in Emerald, I suppose it died with the battery before I got a chance to transfer it.

Well,I have found 3 shinys,all in Pokemon X.My 1st one was a Pumpkaboo,which is now a level 68 Gourgeist.My 2nd one was a Durant,found on my way to catch Zygarde but has not been trained.My 3rd and final one was a Druddgigon,on Victory road while I was trying to find a Hydreigon.

Well if we're gonna be talking about firsts then I've gotta say that way back then me and my brother called them 'sparklies'. My first sparkly (not including gyara) was an Unown I on my second playthrough of crystal. I actually kept it with me for the whole story, it's mighty dragon type hidden power coming in handy against Claire's Kingdra! I remember also finding a sparkly Oddish near Vermillion city that wiped out my whole team while I failed to capture it. Pretty sure I fished up a Staryu near Violet city too

Everyone was calling them shinies by RSE, my first (and only one I can remember from gen 3) was a Magnemite on my first encounter in new Mawville (not first playthrough though) which I affectionately named Rusty. Being an electric type in water world Hoenn meant that he was over levelled as hell and easy MVP, he was my favourite. That was the last playthrough I had of that game until gen 4 was well under way. I went on hiatus pretty much until platinum was out and HGSS were coming out. I decided I was gonna save for a DS and get the games but in the meantime I was excited and wanted to play Pokemon again so I promptly deleted my sapphire save and played through again without first trading Rusty to another game...

Since then I've never really had any sweet shiny luck. I was once trying to pokeradar a shiny Shinx and got a random one (I swear the grass didn't flash) that was also adamant without using a synchroniser! Also found a shiny Tentacool on the way to Lugia that actually became a decent party member. My only shiny of gen 5 was a Frillish while trying to navigate the currents on the way to the Larvesta egg. Then in gen 6 I've accidentally masuda'd a shiny Torchic, Fletchling and Poliwag. I say accidentally because they were mid-breeding project and so have crap natures and IVs, so they just sit in my PC and look nice. I don't have the patience to to Masuda on end and hope for a flawless shiny. I think the best ones are the unexpected ones that pop up in the wild during your story and become part of your team (I never planned to use Magnemite, Tentacool or Frillish), but I also wouldn't be upset if I hatched an Orange Charmander with a decent spread either lol
That reminds me... I caught a shiny Unown in Diamond when I was trying to complete the alphabet some time ago. I think I haven't reset that game yet, so I may still have it... If memory serves me correctly, it's the Z shape which I nicknamed Zedd after the Power Rangers villain. I can't say I encountered any shiny Pokemon in Gen 5 OTHER THAN the event Creation Trio in either White or White 2.

My first shiny ever was a shiny Gastly on Pokémon Red Fire. I trained it and became my most powerful team member. Also you could name your Seaking Pescanova.

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
I've only ever managed to catch one shiny Pokemon in my battling experiences. I was playing Ruby, and was in Dewford. I headed to Granite Cave. I wasn't looking for much, I just wanted to see the cave entirely. I went to the top floor(Floor B1F or B2F one of the two) and attempted to repeatedly get past the broken floor tiles. During one of my failed attempts, I encountered a shiny Aron, as odd as it sounds I thought because of the red eyes it had it was sick. I managed to catch the shiny Aron with relative ease and then thought that maybe heading to the Pokemon Center to heal it would restore it back to a regular blue eyed Aron. I eventually found out that Aron wasn't sick but a shiny instead. I regret never having leveled it to Aggron, but it was still pretty cool to have gotten a shiny Aron.

I got a shiny Duskull from a friend (shiny Dusclops is red, which is pretty cool), but the only shiny I encountered myself was a shiny Drowzee during a Diamond Nuzlocke. It actually was the first Pokémon I encountered on the route, too, so it was still a legit Nuzlocke :P

Well I found a shiny Floatzel 20 minutes ago. Was training my Skarmory on my Pokemon X and just randomly found it. Carfeful nature which isn't awful and haven't checked it's IV's yet. Looks amazing though with the white colors.

First non-scripted shiny was a Donphan back in Heart Gold. Almost killed it cuz I was just absentmindedly mashing A as I was walking through the grass. Haven't found another shiny until now, in Gen. 6. <3 safaris

My first shiny was in Emerald, which was a Kecleon. It was on the rainy route near the 6th gym, and I thought it was just because it was in the rain, since the only difference I say was a blue stripe instead of a green one. Good times, good times...

I encountered my first non-gyarados shiny when I was a kid playing Diamond. I forget exactly what I was thinking, but it was along the lines of I wanted to capture Buneary to investigate their gender differences or whatever. I dunno I was a weird kid.
Found a shiny buneary in Eterna Forest. And then later a shiny Tentacruel in the route above Sunnyshore.

I since deleted the diamond file (fucking idiot), but in Y I have had ridiculous luck. I found my first shiny in the game out of sheer luck - an accidentally masuda'd Larvitar, as I was breeding them for an online friend. And then things got really silly. I found a shiny Nidoran M the next morning, and then the SAME DAY I found a shiny Azumarill in White 2.
Later on I was going through a friend safari. Shiny Vivillon. Brilliant enough, but then my very next encounter was a Shiny Combee. Jesus.
Oh and I've ran into -TWO- shiny Geodude.
And I've accidentally ran from a shiny Mime Jr. on instinct while EV training against hordes.
Aside from that I've found quite a few more in Y, including Roggenrola, Aipom and Tropius. And, annoyingly/funnily enough, I found a shiny Gyarados in a friend safari the other day. Irritatingly enough that friend safari also had Frogadier I could have had a shiny Greninja hguyierwfhrwjkf

1st shiny: Random Klefki
2nd shiny: Traded Druddigon
3rd shiny: Roggenrola found in horde

Last edited:
Just hatched my first matsuda shiny last night trying to breed for a Shiny Pinsir (ended up being 3IV because father wasn't flawless with a 0 in Sp. Def, but definitely usable).

Then I saw a shiny Gulpin while EV training it.

I have had a few shiny experiences, but they were completely unintentional.

The first was when I was breeding Oshawotts before Poke Bank made it to the US. I had unintentionally hatched a shiny Oshawott via Masuda method.

The second one slightly trolled me. I found a shiny geodude in a swarm and its buddies nearly offed it with magnitude. Thankfully, he nailed the rest of them with magnitude, giving me the ability to catch it.

The third was a random Druddigon that I had come across in the Friend Safari.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)