SS NU Shell Smash City :D

Okay the title is from someone I played against who described my team as "it's shell smash city over there", so thanks to whoever that was :>

Shell Smash is one of the most dangerous setup moves in the game, doubling your speed and both of your attacking stats. If your opponent makes a single incorrect play, you can win the game on the spot. However, it's still possible to play around the shell smash user, with predictions, status moves, or proper checks. But what if you built your team around not just one shell smasher, but three? What happens when your opponents' checks get worn down? This was a random idea that came to me, but when looking at the NU threat list, along with the viable shell smash users, it turns out that a good chunk of the metagame is weak/neutral to water + ice. Here's my triple shell smash team :D

To start off with, we have our shell smashers. They all have similar typings, and once their check(s) are worn down, any one of them can easily sweep.

Sweepers:

1655004770664.png

Blastoise @ White Herb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Beam / Focus Blast

First, we have Blastoise. This looks like a pretty standard shell smash set, Hydro for stab, and ice beam for coverage to hit grass types. Focus blast over dark pulse is probably the best decision I've made, makes it easier to KO steels + water resists that aren't named Starmie. The accuracy is annoying, yes, but the extra power is much needed. At +2, it also always 2HKOs max hp, max spdef Snorlax, along with standard Vaporeon after rocks or the tiniest bit of chip. For comparison, dark pulse can pretty much only get a 4HKO on either one. Focus Miss also gets an important KO on non-scarf heliolisk, which ice beam can't do. The given EV spread outspeeds the entire unboosted tier after a smash, along with scarf base 90s and below. The remaining EV's go into HP to help maximize. Generally, Blastoise blows holes in any checks to the other two sweepers, but if the opposing team is too fast, (if I'm scared of scarfers) I can also use Blastoise to clean up.

1655004759523.png

Omastar @ Power Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Meteor Beam
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Next up, theres Omastar. With Power Herb + Meteor Beam, Omastar hits ridiculously hard, almost hitting 900 SpA at + 3. Meteor Beam completely destroys checks to the other two sweepers like bulky waters (OHKO on Vaporeon >:D), while Surf + Ice Beam provides enough coverage against the rest of the tier. I'm running Timid to outspeed scarf Rotom-Mow, in exchange for some power. Omastar can act as both a wallbreaker with Meteor Beam (which I rarely do), and as a sweeper if it smashes first. This thing excels at coming in on something like Talonflame, and then becoming unstoppable. I ran swift swim because apparantly Politoed is untiered, it would be good against the odd rain team.

1655004750141.png

Carracosta @ White Herb / Lum Berry
Ability: Solid Rock / Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation

Physical sweeper for a change! Carracosta doesn't really end up winning a lot of games, as much as it tears holes into the enemy or gets rid of checks. I usually do have to play around big threats with aqua jet/sturdy, so sometimes it's actually advisable to keep Carracosta around. Carracosta can also function more defensively because of its naturally high defense/typing. Lum berry can be used to switch into Talonflame safely. I've also experimented with sturdy + salac or liechi berry, and those definitely some interesting options. Salac gives it enough speed to beat most scarfers, while liechi has good odds for an OHKO on most Vaporeon. I'm thinking about running a more defensive set, to help take physical hits better, or even changing it's purpose from a sweeper to a more defensive presence.

Now for the more defensive Pokemon here to help provide sweeping opportunities/counter checks. These mons offer some utility, and try to patch up holes in my team.

1655004725261.png

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Smack Down
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

This horse is my go-to physical check, for anything else that I don't have a good time dealing with. It can also set up rocks to make a sweep easier, and toxic cripples any opposing setup sweepers. Smack Down means you aren't walled by Talonflame or Xatu. Earthquake is reliable STAB that hits the rock and steel types of the tier hard. The ground typing also blocks volt switches scarf Rotom-Mow, so Rotom has to constantly predict when pivoting out.

1655004737705.png

Vileplume @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
- Sleep Powder

The ultimate scarf Rotom-Mow check :D (This team REALLY doesn't like it.) Vileplume forces out defensive water types, and 4x resists grass. It has fairly reliable recovery in strength sap, and has a pretty easy time staying healthy. Sleep powder gives my shell smashers an easier time setting up, and Strength Sap can cripple any physical attackers that don't OHKO. I'm running a payapa berry to help beat annoying psychic types. A Yache berry to better deal with focus energy Inteleon or other shell smash Blastoise can also be used. Vileplume also counterleads grass types quite well, since over half my team is really weak to grass, people seem to really like leading with their grass types. Sleep powder can disable an opposing mon, and offer more setup opportunities.

1655004646010.png

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost

Talonflame keeps hazards off the field and effectively deals with annoying grass types in a more offensive manner. The EV spread outruns base 115s, while maximizing its ability to chip/kill things that my team has trouble with. Will-o criples physical attackers, and Brave Bird hits pretty much the same things as Flare Blitz, but with less resists. It really only misses out steels, pretty much all of which should be scared of a potential fire move, and are crippled by will-o. Gale Wings lets it revenge kill things if I need to, specifically fast psychic types and Sceptile.

Replays: (I'll try to find some more later)
Carracosta hits stuff :D [Gen 8] NU replay: jirfrey vs. testingidiot123 - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com)

Omastar pokes holes in a team, and Blastoise sweeps [Gen 8] NU replay: testingidiot123 vs. Towale - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com)

Carracosta + Vileplume hard carry [Gen 8] NU replay: C dishct vs. testingidiot123 - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com)

Vileplume + Mudsdale + Talonflame ALONE pretty much decimate a team [Gen 8] NU replay: testingidiot123 vs. hypersonic-alt - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com)

Game where I get haxxed to literal hell, before I do something really stupid and choke anyways https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1579892618

Major threats to the team:
If you see a way to fix them without switching out a shell smasher, feel free to let me know. Any other advice is appreciated too :)

Personally, I think the best way to fix all of these is to change :carracosta:/:omastar: -> :copperajah: or some other steel, but yk, then I wont have half my team be shell smashers :(

The team is UNBELIEVABLY weak to fast psychic spam (scarf :indeedee: + :espeon: is a nightmare), and you have to play really well to avoid being instantly swept. The only way through is some combination of :vileplume:'s payapa berry, stalling out terrain, and using priority from :talonflame:/:carracosta:.

:raichu-alola: in terrain is also a nightmare- how am I supposed to switch into electric, water, AND psychic? Ideally, damage it before it can set up, but if it does well... Vileplume lives a boosted psychic (not psyshock though), and :carracosta:'s aqua jet + 1-2 rounds of life orb recoil put it comfortably into range of :talonflame:'s gale wings brave bird.

:sceptile: can be troublesome, so make sure to keep :talonflame: at full for an emergency gale wings brave bird. (don't do it psychic terrain though!) I've found :sceptile: usually runs earthquake over rock slide though, so :talonflame: can actually also wall some variants.

Scarf :heliolisk: is also annoying, but :vileplume: pretty much walls it. If the opponent plays smart though, it's going to be difficult to remove.

:ditto: I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this one.

Importable:
Blastoise @ White Herb
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Omastar @ Power Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Meteor Beam
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Carracosta @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation

Vileplume @ Payapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
- Sleep Powder

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost

Last edited:

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heya, I like the idea of Hyper Beam Blastoise, but I have a few changes that could make the team better. This looks like more of a balanced team, usually, Shell Smash spam is more of a straightforward Hyper Offense but I'd kinda label this as like a Water spam balance instead? lol. If this went to a Hyper Offense route I'd probably go with like Omastar / Blastoise / Sash Mudsdale / Salazzle / Xatu / Tyrantrum.

:ss/blastoise:
Blastoise @ Normal Gem
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Beam

The main targets of Hyper Beam Blastoise in my eyes are Vaporeon and Mantine, (mainly Vaporeon). Focus Blast is an alternative for Snorlax sure but I feel like the team can handle Snorlax with like Growth Vileplume or Meteor Beam Omastar. Roar Mudsdale is an alternative if setup sweepers become a problem for you, but that's more of a soft check thing. I am going to recommend Normal Gem on Blastoise so you can successfully OHKO the analysis Vaporeon and Mantine (+4 252+ SpA Normal Gem Blastoise Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Vaporeon: 476-561 (102.5 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO / +4 252+ SpA Normal Gem Blastoise Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 391-460 (104.5 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Hydro Pump Blastoise is interesting, but of course, it lacks the consistency of Surf. +2 Torrent Hydro Pump successfully does pull of a KO on Assault Vest Copperajah and you can nearly OHKO Snorlax at +4 Torrent.

:ss/carracosta: -> :ss/togedemaru:

Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wish
- Spiky Shield
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Now, building Dual Water / Fly / Rotom-weak types, you gotta account for it. Your team also has a terrible time against Indeedee-F. I saw the Payapa Vileplume but a Poison-type checking Fighting-types running Knock Off / potentially getting Tricked by Rotom-C / checking Psychic-types is a lot going on and those Pokemon just eventually run over Vileplume. We need another supporting role, and I think Togedemaru would be a great fit here. We have no momentum on this team, 5 of our Pokemon loses to Rotom-C Volt/Lead 50/50s and having a momentum stopper like Togedemaru allows you to take on your OWN momentum and position your wallbreakers. After reviewing your replays, Carracosta didn't really do much that Omastar+Toise didn't. Like I saw an Aerodactyl game where Carracosta revenged it with Aqua Jet but we have an entire Mudsdale. The combination of Blastoise, Omastar, and Vileplume is enough setup sweepers. Togedemaru outspeeds Jolly Sirfetch'd and its always 3HKOED by Indeedee's Mystical Fire.

:ss/vileplume:
Vileplume @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
- Growth

Growth Vileplume checks Scrafty and Snorlax. I changed Payapa Berry to Yache Berry to help with opposing Water-types like Blastoise / Inteleon. Honestly, you can keep Payapa for Starmie if you want but yeah, it really depends. You can always check Blastoise with your own Blastoise.

:mudsdale: I made Mudsdale the standard Smack Down set but it can honestly run whatever as a fourth being Smack Down / Roar / Body Press / Protect (kinda neat for scouting Indeedee and Rotom-C).

:talonflame: I made Talonflame Flamethrower to help with Strength Sap Vilepume and Escavalier. SD RestTalk Escavalier is kinda annoying for Vileplume and Mudsdale and Flamethrower Talonflame gives you an out.

1657219355240.png

Yeah, I do see your point about the water spam balance, it definitely does resemble a more balanced teams. I really like the idea of normal gem Blastoise, I was originally using hyper beam and found it just didn't quite have enough power to break Vaporeon. I was also pretty sure fitting in a steel type would fix the psychic weakness, so I will be sure to try out Togedemaru.

I think the rest of the changes are cool, it never even crossed my mind to make vileplume offensive lol. Carracosta/brave bird/payapa berry were solely for matchups vs indeedee/espeon, which I won't need after swapping in togedemaru.

Overall I really like the changes, thanks for the advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)