SM OU Shatterdome (Rain Bulky Offense Feat. Scizor-Mega)

Greetings! With Gen 8 on the horizon I wanted to share the only team I’ve ever enjoyed using in Gen 7. I’m new to SM OU, having only been active for the past 8 months after being a serious player back in Gen 4. SM OU was quite a hard meta to figure out, so credit to this team goes to my friend and rain mentor illuzionist . We created a fresh Rain Bulky Offense build around Mega-Scizor. It proved to be rhythmic, effective, and fun to use on the OU ladder.

Rain was my favorite playstyle back when I first started competitive battling, so I was psyched one day on Pokemon Showdown when illusionist was hyping it up in the OU chat. After passing me a few teams that I couldn’t get to work, I became a regular spectator in his high ladder battles.

A month later, I first noticed Illuzionist depart from Mega-Swampert and pull out a Mega-Scizor team. Intrigued, I picked his brain and the core of that team morphed into what we are presenting today:

The combination of Pelipper and Manaphy is the focal point for any serious rain build due to Manaphy’s ability to stallbreak and absorb status.

Mega-Scizor was picked originally as a replacement to Tornadus-T, though Illuzionist found Scizor completely inverts the matchup against Grass types.

Since Scizor lacks Stealth Rock, Ferrothorn was chosen for hazards.

Landorus-T was added for Electric Immunity because no Swampert.

Omastar was the original Swift Swimmer because it resists flying.

After witnessing Illuzionist ladder this version to 1900, I had an unconventional idea around Thundurus-T being used in a defensive capacity as it compresses the Electric immunity and flying resist, as well as checking Hawlucha – a common problem for Rain. Thundurus-T replaced Landorus-T. Because the flying resist was solved, Omastar was replaced by the Swifter Swimmer, Kingdra! The changes were well-received, and we adopted this build as a consistent staple over the past few months.

The team mons were finalized, but Thundurus-T has been a wild card ever since. The team has underwent minor moveset and EV changes over time, but remains the same.

The Team:

MegaKingdra (Kingdra) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

We start with Sir Brainless himself. MegaKingdra is the squad’s source of speed thus functioning as chief revenge killer and secondary wincon. Every rain team needs a Swift Swimmer and since we opted out of Mega-Swampert’s services Kingdra was the obvious choice. Although the oversized sea horse has fallen out of favor lately in lieu of the frog, we need Kingdra’s speed tier here in a defensive capacity to keep fast pokemon and Dragon Dancers at bay. As a bonus, MegaKingdra’s 4X water resist is a godsend as it offers us a last resort stopgap to opposing water types trying to take advantage of our rain.

Moveset:
We went with standard triple-STAB attacks with Ice Beam for coverage. Surf should be the most utilized STAB as it outdamages Hydro Pump over the long term. It’s best to use Hydro Pump specifically for early game revenge kills against bulkier threats that Surf may not OHKO outright such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U and Garchomp (if Ice Beam / Draco lock is undesirable).

Spread Explanation:
Maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Modest nature for Kingdra to hit as hard and fast as possible. It’s worth noting that Kingdra’s speed tier in rain is a single point above Choice Scarf Serperior.

Matchups are important. If the opponent has only one or two water resists without recovery, Kingdra will put enormous pressure the opposing team. In those matches, we bring Kingdra in early to fire off attacks. Otherwise, we stay patient and just play Kingdra as any other revenge killer. Kingdra is one of the most important mons on the team so don’t let it die.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra in Rain: 63-75 (21.6 - 25.7%) -- approx. 2.4% chance to 4HKO

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra in Rain: 124-146 (42.6 - 50.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega in Rain: 330-388 (96.7 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

BrothaMan (Manaphy) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rest

BrothaMan is the team’s most powerful pokemon. An underprepared for threat, HydraRest Manaphy rose to prominence over Gen7 with the advent of Ske 's rain. This little pixie functions as chief wallbreaker, status absorber, and tertiary wincon. Manaphy is our go-to against fat balances and heavy stall.

Moveset:
Standard TailGlow + Rest Manaphy. Surf for power and accuracy. Psychic is the coverage move to ease the Toxapex matchup as Kingdra and Scizor struggle to break it.

Spread Explanation:
Modest nature and maximum power for crucial damage rolls. 76 Speed is just enough to speed creep Modest Heatran, Timid Magearna, and all the mons outspeeding them by one point. The remainder is put into bulk with slight special defensive bias for switching into Greninja.

We look to bring in Manaphy as early as possible to weaken the opposing team through Hydro Vortex or TG Boosted attacks. We don’t sack Manaphy if there is a mon it can Rest on later in the game (Pex for example) as it can usually outlast the revenge killers.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 148 HP / 32 SpD Manaphy: 160-190 (42.3 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

+3 252+ SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 252-298 (82.8 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+3 252+ SpA Manaphy Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 322-380 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

BigDaddyPel (Pelipper) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 20 Spe
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald

What’s a rain team without Pelipper? Pelipper is the fuel that keeps this rain engine going via Drizzle and can grab momentum for the team. Although he’s our Defogger, he’s usually too valuable to rely on in that capacity.

Moveset:
U-turn, Defog, and Roost are standard for Pelipper. The last slot is discretionary. Scald is powered up by rain and checks opposing Mega-Scizor. You won’t be attacking much but it’s good to be able to do damage in a pinch. Hurricane is also usable. Other options include Knock Off (if not on Scizor) and Pursuit (if you really dislike Shedstall).

Spread Explanation:
248 HP and 96 Def avoids the 3HKO from Mega-Swampert’s Waterfall. The rest is placed into Special Defense to better switch into Charizard-Y and Heatran. 20 Spe IVs with a Relaxed nature outspeeds Chansey to get U-Turn chip (or knock off) while still under speeding Celesteela and Tyranitar.

Unless the opponent has Torkoal or Hippowdon, we always lead Pelipper. We have a switch-in to most things. The best play on turn 1 is to simply switch out Pelipper and save him for later. U-Turn only on Excadrill, Riombee, and Araquanid leads to break their sash. Look for any earliest opportunity mid-game to reset rain. It’s about thinking ahead. Don’t let Pelipper die until victory (or defeat) is imminent.

252 Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Pelipper in Rain: 90-106 (27.8 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

FatThor (Thundurus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 140 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

FatThor is the custom-ordered glue for this team. Without Mega-Swampert, we needed an Electric immunity. We also needed something to take Hurricane as neither of our steels resist flying. I went with Assault Vest Thundurus-T as it is a pivot that handles some huge threats rain struggles with such as Tornadus-T, Hawlucha, and Serperior. Illuzionist likes to run a standard Nasty Plot + 3 attacks version with Leftovers, which is potent in helping Manaphy dismantle the more common semi-stalls and fat balances at high ladder. To retain Hawlucha coverage, a bulkier spread can be used as well with Thunder for some immediate power though it misses out on the certainty of removing Charizard-Y.

Moveset:
The moveset is standard Electric / Ice / Fighting coverage with U-Turn to grab momentum. Thunder for more immediate power despite its inaccuracy outside of rain.

Spread Explanation:
248 HP and 52 Def survives +2 High Jump Kick from Hawlucha after Stealth Rock. 68 Spe reaches the same speed creep above Modest Heatran and Timid Magearna. The rest of the EVs go into Special Defense to wall Tornadus-T and electric types.

We use FatThor to check problem threats and grab momentum in the mid-game. If the opponent lacks an electric immunity, spam Thunder for good damage and high paralysis chance. He is the first to sack if the threats he checks have been sufficiently weakened or eliminated.

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 52 Def Thundurus-Therian: 229-270 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 140+ SpD Assault Vest Thundurus-Therian: 84-99 (23.2 - 27.4%) -- 62.5% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 140+ SpD Assault Vest Thundurus-Therian: 103-123 (28.5 - 34%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO

BallzOfSteel (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 164 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Ballz of Steel provides crucial utility for the team by laying all hazards and being an early game safety net for Pelipper. Because our squad features two bulky steels, we like to play Ferrothorn recklessly like a suicide lead. The defensive synergy in the main core is self-sufficient enough to where we seldom call on Ferrothorn to provide defensive support. We don’t fear Magnezone traps here as the rain keeps this thing alive long enough to lay Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes, and bring in Thundurus-T who has a really good matchup against Zone and most defoggers.

Moveset:
Power Whip for STAB to beat down Gyarados, Greninja, and Keldeo. Toxic puts defoggers and greedy set-up sweepers on a timer. Dual hazards because Ferro is a boss.

Spread Explanation:
We use heavy physical defense here to switch into Medicham-Mega in the early game (come in on Fake Out or Zen and you live HJK through Chople) and to counter Mega-Gyarados. 4 Spe is the Tech Illuzionist found to outspeed Torkoal, inflicting it with Toxic.

Ferrothorn is the most sackable mon and primary Turn 1 switch most matches. We lay hazards on most things right up until we die as that immediately sets up Kingdra. Switch out if fire attacks or steel-type set-up sweepers are imminent.

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 237-280 (67.3 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

BigDaddySciz (Scizor-Mega) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Finally, we have senor hard body himself. BigDaddySciz is the prized fighter, chief stud, and primary wincon of the team. He also shares an uncanny resemblance to this guy. Sciz inverts bad rain matchups by offering us non-water priority, an anti-grass wall, and boosting sweeper not concerned with other weather effects. When it’s drizzling, flex on that HP Fire, man!

Moveset:
We use standard Scizor with Knock Off for coverage. U-Turn is a fine option if opting for Nasty Plot Thundurus-T. Pursuit is a weaker Knock Off but is a tech that can help with Shedinja and Latias-Mega.

Spread Explanation:
We use full investment in defenses, with slight physical bias to better take on Kyurem-B and setting up on Landorus-T.

Use Roost liberally throughout the match to keep ‘Zor healthy. Knock Off important targets like Assault Vest Magearna and Tangrowth. Most Scizor sweeps are attained by simply waiting for the opponent to sack their Fire type to Kingdra or Manaphy. Greed is good here. Alternate Roost and Swords Dance to +6 (or as high as you can), as Sciz becomes almost impossible for offensive teams to revenge kill with multiple boosts to Bullet Punch.

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 56+ Def Scizor-Mega: 97-115 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO

Importables:

Assault Vest Thundurus-T

Nasty Plot Thundurus-T (Offensive)

Nasty Plot Thundurus-T (Bulky)

Matchup Analysis:

This team is designed to be competitive against all team types. It is an offensive team (“bulky offense”), thus must be played aggressively. Kill them before they kill you! Try to get a lead early, as the team’s bulk is tough for teams to overcome when down in material. Although hazards are present on Ferrothorn, it’s usually best not to engage in all out spike warfare against spike-stacking teams.

Favorable matchups:

Rain, Offense, and non-Shedinja or Pyukumuku Stall

Unfavorable matchups:

None. However, there are problematic combinations such as Celestial Alignment

Annoying Pokemon:

For reference / viewing pleasure, the replays highlight the team’s matchups and flow. Enjoy!

Last edited:

ThirdStrongestMole

Banned deucer.
As someone who has used this team in many games, I can confirm that it's pretty flames. The one thing though is that I've found gren annoying to switch in throughout the game. Is the main solution supposed to be just kill it with kingdra before it gets a chance to chip away at all its answers? Btw, it's about time you made this post. I told you to do it like two weeks ago lol

As someone who has used this team in many games, I can confirm that it's pretty flames. The one thing though is that I've found gren annoying to switch in throughout the game. Is the main solution supposed to be just kill it with kingdra before it gets a chance to chip away at all its answers? Btw, it's about time you made this post. I told you to do it like two weeks ago lol
Hey Mole, thanks for the feedback. Yes, Greninja’s Dark Pulse is annoying because we don’t have a Dark Resist. However, the best early game countermeasures are Manaphy and Thundurus-T, depending on who is less valuable in the match. It’s important to note that Greninja is mostly on offensive teams which we have an edge over most of the time. If you expend your switches it’s not the end of the world to let Gren evolve if you’re up in material. If it comes down to Kingdra vs Ash-Greninja trades, Kingdra will come out on top because it walls Water Shuriken.

ThirdStrongestMole

Banned deucer.
Hey Mole, thanks for the feedback. Yes, Greninja’s Dark Pulse is annoying because we don’t have a Dark Resist. However, the best early game countermeasures are Manaphy and Thundurus-T, depending on who is less valuable in the match. It’s important to note that Greninja is mostly on offensive teams which we have an edge over most of the time. If you expend your switches it’s not the end of the world to let Gren evolve if you’re up in material. If it comes down to Kingdra vs Ash-Greninja trades, Kingdra will come out on top because it walls Water Shuriken.
Yeah true. It took me a bit of time to realize that it's sometime okay to let gren evolve. On must teams I run, it's something I try to avoid at all costs, but this team has kingdra, a really solid offensive check. I suppose that keeping momentum is also important to limit how often it can come in. Another issue I've found though is that rocks make it even harder to come in, and the only defogger, pelipper, is too important to use for suicide fogs. How have you approached that issue?

Yeah true. It took me a bit of time to realize that it's sometime okay to let gren evolve. On must teams I run, it's something I try to avoid at all costs, but this team has kingdra, a really solid offensive check. I suppose that keeping momentum is also important to limit how often it can come in. Another issue I've found though is that rocks make it even harder to come in, and the only defogger, pelipper, is too important to use for suicide fogs. How have you approached that issue?
The answer is pretty much the same... play aggressively! Since Ferrothorn has all hazards and perfect type synergy with Pelipper, it can usually come in on turn 1 and you start the battle up in the hazard war. When removing hazards you may have to sack to bring Pelipper in against something it can Defog on (resetting rain in the process). Best advice really is to just fight through it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)