Metagame Shared Power

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Why levitate though?
I had Necrozma before for Prism Armor (also had to update the set from the previous post because Cress had Necrozma spread and didn't make sense), but Cress is harder to beat in a single hit, Levitate does make Klefki harder to kill too and the TSpikes immunity it gives to the team has been quite useful so is not a bad ability to have.

Somebody discovered this interaction in a room tour: if a Pokemon with native Hustle and Shared Power No Guard uses an attack that self-KOs it, such as Explosion, it seems to lose the No Guard volatile before the attack's accuracy is determined, meaning that the attack can miss due to Hustle's reduced accuracy.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1699300619

This probably should be considered a bug, assuming that No Guard Explosion from a Pokemon with debuffed accuracy is unable to miss. However, since it seems like this behavior might be difficult to change in SP, I'm making a note of it here in case it comes up again.

I know this is late since gen 9 is already here but for anyone who still plays Gen 8 Shared Power, I figured I should share this team considering how successful it is. Given my propensity for long essay posts and the lack of minimum requirements (as far as I am aware) I will try to make this short.

The team started off with the idea of punishing physical attackers with Iron Barb + Rough Skin spam with the addition of Flame Body. I utilized the following pokemon: :Ferrothorn: :Garchomp: :Heatran:
I also included :Weezing-Galar: because earlier in OU I was using him as a physical wall with Rocky Helmet punishment to an enjoyable degree. Additionally, Levitate pairs amazingly with :Heatran:. I then added :Snorlax: because I used and enjoyed him in OU as a special wall and thought his Thick Fat ability would be helpful. And then I just threw on Weakness Policy :Jirachi: for the heck of it and to have some offensive presence.

I soon realized I felt I was still lacking defensively; as much as I punished contact attackers I still took decent damage. So I replaced :Jirachi: with Intimidate :Gyarados: for extra defensive prowess, while maintaining sweeping capability with Substitute + Dragon Dance. At this point the team looked like this: :Ferrothorn: :Garchomp: :Heatran: :Snorlax: :Weezing-Galar: :Gyarados:

I then met someone on the ladder (in March when this and Linked there the OMotM; t'was such a fun month I have to say, this and Linked are such fun metas, and not as annoying as Hackmons or Trademarked) who was using Stamina :Mudsdale: and (either the same person or another who was using) Ice Scales :Frosmoth:. I realized I needed to focus less on punishing contact attackers and instead focus on purely boosting my defenses first. I replaced :Garchomp: with :Mudsdale:, and :Gyarados: with :Frosmoth:. Getting +1 Def with each hit is better than Intimidate in my opinion, and :Frostmoth:'s Ice Scales is a much needed SpD boost.

I then came across a Fluffy :Bewear: user and I realized that would fit very well on my team in place of :Snorlax:. I had already kind of realized that Flame Body wasn't very helpful and I could run Flash Fire instead of :Snorlax:'s Thick Fat. This would benefit :Ferrothorn: greatly, and since I needed less of a SpD wall with :Frosmoth: I could replace :Snorlax: with :Bewear: now while maintaining my Ghost immunity (helpful for Flare Boost Hex teams). Flash Fire also pairs extremely well with Fluffy, taking away its downside and essentially acting as a way to get around the Fur Coat ban.

So now the final team looks like this:
:Ferrothorn: :Mudsdale: :Heatran: :Bewear: :Weezing-Galar: :Frosmoth:
https://pokepast.es/14ad90aa5474f0f6
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Body Press
- Protect
- Knock Off

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Bewear @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Ice Punch
- Roar
- Rest

Weezing-Galar @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
Happiness: 160
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Strange Steam
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance
- Defog
- Giga Drain

Here's a quick overview of each teammember and how to use them.

I usually will lead :Mudsdale: as getting off Stamina from the start essentially gives the other mons each an additional turn or two of survivability against physical threats. Against physically offensive teams I will then go immediately into :Bewear: for Fluffy. Depending on the opponents team I will then either go into really any of the other four. Obviously if its a super specially-offensive team I may lead with :Frosmoth: into :Heatran: or :Ferrothorn: if I need to eat a hit. There are some games where I don't ever use :Frosmoth:, and others where :Bewear: doesn't really come out until later when I need a sponge or him to actually attack. They are definitely there more for their abilities than themselves but they are capable of holding their own when the situation arises.

:ss/Ferrothorn:
:Ferrothorn: has essentially the same role as any other in OU; Leftovers and Leech Seed + Protect for healing and scouting, Knock Off for disruption, and Body Press as the attack as it gets boosted with every Stamina proc. Knock Off is good for incoming mons trying to get a boost like Flame Orb Flare Boost, or to knock of Boots on weak mons like :Frosmoth:. You mainly want to use him to switch into Electric and Water attacks, though of course he can take Steel and Psychic attacks that target :Weezing-Galar:.

:ss/Mudsdale:
:Mudsdale: is to get off rocks, with a great free STAB Earthquake and constantly-boosted Body Press. Roar is good to prevent the opponent from boosting and increase rocks damage.

:ss/Heatran:
:Heatran: is the typical trapper moveset with full SpD and 252 Spe to make proper use of Taunt.

:ss/Bewear:
:Bewear: is mainly for his ability, as I mentioned, but Body Press STAB with Stamina is great and Ice Punch is nice coverage for hitting Ground, Dragon, and Flying types. Roar double-synergizes with :Mudsdale: to maximize rocks damage, and Rest allows :Bewear: to have more longevity than :Mudsdale:.

:ss/Weezing-Galar:
As a single mon I feel like :Weezing-Galar: puts in the most work. Haze is a good way to get rid of boosts will staying in, Toxic a great way to damage mons in addition to the Rocky Helmet (and Iron Barbs), doing something like 33% on the first turn. Strange Stream is a great STAB move that hits threatening Dragon and Fighting types, and Flamethrower of course is great coverage for Steels. Defensively, :Weezing-Galar: has incredible typing, both in OU and in Shared Power; his quad resists to Fighting and Bug are very useful, and even moreso his immunity to Dragon. This makes him incredibly useful against those Dragon's Maw + Technician :Dragapult: teams, where he walls entirely. Of course he is weak to Steel moves from :Durant: and :Scizor: but if he has enough Def from Stamina he can live both mons and OHKO each with Flamethrower. If not you can always switch to :Heatran: but beware of Fighting moves (hence why we have :Weezing-Galar:). Levitate is nice, and Flash Fire and Ice Scales helps increase his survivability from special attacks if needed. (I have no clue why the importable has his happiness set lol. Feel free to ignore it.)

:ss/Frosmoth:
Pretty straightforward; :Frosmoth:'s Ice Scales allows all these physically defencive mons to have much more special bulk. Boots is a necessity as otherwise it would take 50% from Stealth Rock. Likewise, Defog lets the other mons not fear rocks either, though luckily Levitate lets them ignore Spikes and Toxic Spikes in case getting off a Defog isn't possible. Quiver Dance with Ice Beam and Giga Drain coverage allows :Frosmoth: to be a suprisingly capable sweeper in some situations. Additionally with Fluffy, Flash Fire, and Stamina, it actually has considerably good defensive bulk.

I don't recall ever losing with this team; it can be a bit difficult against fully specially-offensive teams if you don't play right, but with :Ferrothorn: and :Heatran: can usually live hits and with Ice Scales most of the other mons can at least trade or chip. Honestly, the hardest game I had with this team was against a practically mirror match-up. I don't know if this team can ever be recreated (with equal success, or even any team that functions better, for that matter) in the new gens even if all the teammembers are added back in. With all the new mons and abilities the possibilities are practically endless.

Here are some replays:
Here were the only ladder replays I had. These match-ups I guess I did actually lose, which I probably saved for future review.

vs. Drainpeck✫ (1466) :Skarmory: :Crawdaunt: :Krookodile: :Tapu Lele: :Stakataka: :Decidueye:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1530895657
I did actually get swept by this Darkest Lariat Moxie Krookodile, which makes sense as I naively gave up my two Dark resists in Weezing-Galar and Bewear at the beginning to Crawdaunt. I have since figured out better ways to approach teams like these, but it's hard to tell how it could have played out had I done something else. I will say I've never seen a team like this since.

vs. fan palm (1410) :Arctovish: :Eldegoss: :Crawdaunt: :Doublade: :Dracozolt: :Ninetales-Alola:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1530259731
This was likely the first game after my peak (I'm guessing 1480 Elo as read in the ladder update at the end). Crawdaunt (and other water types in the form of Arctovish) was a similar shared theme in the losses. I've been aware that Ferrothorn is very important defensively against certain typings, particularly water. (If I had to develop one best counterteam to mine it would probably be some Rain team with Hydro Pump spam and whatever boosts you can think up, such as Adaptability and Flare Boost.) So loosing Ferrothorn to Crawdaunt's Close Combat is always tough. The proper play would probably to use some other mon you can sack, likely Bewear (or somehow, Frosmoth), and keep Ferrothorn and Weezing-Galar alive for their much-needed resistances.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions let me know. And feel free to challenge me to Gen 8 Shared Power! (I'm usually on 'IIIodyne', but sometimes on my other alts; just replace the 'III' to any Roman numeral from I through VI.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)