Lifestyle Self-improvement thread

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Since Spring Break started on Saturday, I've been cold turkey on nicotine. This is my 6th attempt to quit, but this time I'm not doing Zyns, 0% vapes, or any of that, since it didn't work the last 5 times.

The insomnia has been by far the worst part, but I've been keeping the urge to relapse at bay by disassembling all the vapes that I've already used up (I haven't thrown away any of them since I started about 1.5 years ago) and taking out the lithium ion battery, because those are terrible for the environment if they're just dumped with the rest of the trash.

I've gotten through about half the stash, think I should be finished by the end of spring break.

Since Spring Break started on Saturday, I've been cold turkey on nicotine. This is my 6th attempt to quit, but this time I'm not doing Zyns, 0% vapes, or any of that, since it didn't work the last 5 times.

The insomnia has been by far the worst part, but I've been keeping the urge to relapse at bay by disassembling all the vapes that I've already used up (I haven't thrown away any of them since I started about 1.5 years ago) and taking out the lithium ion battery, because those are terrible for the environment if they're just dumped with the rest of the trash.

I've gotten through about half the stash, think I should be finished by the end of spring break.
Best of luck I’m sure you will pull it off eventually. I wish you nothing but the best. It’s not easy but you are certainly putting the effort forth.

Bella

Not a furry
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Not as big as the other posts here but wanted to post this here cause i wanted to share.

Im a high schooler and for pretty much most of my life I've been outcasted socially. Im not very social myself, people have always thought i was odd due my impulsivity of saying or doing shit i cant control due to my ADHD and in general people always saw me as the "weird kid", which was demoralizing. It didn't also help that A: my only friend group all turned out to be complete jackasses and creeps and B: i ended up moving states which meant i was outcasted again as the "New person"

Recently I've been looking for an outlet to be around people and im 95% sure i finally found that: Drama club. We have a play coming up soon and working on set design and lightning has allowed me to interact with people in an outside the classroom setting for the first time in a long time which was pretty moralizing for me especially as a lot of these people have came from the same background as me as "kids who aren't very social ever but still want to be around people."

Of course, im not 100% of the way to that goal of really establishing a group of people to really be around with yet, I still sit alone at lunch as the set design / lightning crew all have separate groups outside of drama so its tough for me to find a place, but its the little steps that count.

Not as big as the other posts here but wanted to post this here cause i wanted to share.

Im a high schooler and for pretty much most of my life I've been outcasted socially. Im not very social myself, people have always thought i was odd due my impulsivity of saying or doing shit i cant control due to my ADHD and in general people always saw me as the "weird kid", which was demoralizing. It didn't also help that A: my only friend group all turned out to be complete jackasses and creeps and B: i ended up moving states which meant i was outcasted again as the "New person"

Recently I've been looking for an outlet to be around people and im 95% sure i finally found that: Drama club. We have a play coming up soon and working on set design and lightning has allowed me to interact with people in an outside the classroom setting for the first time in a long time which was pretty moralizing for me especially as a lot of these people have came from the same background as me as "kids who aren't very social ever but still want to be around people."

Of course, im not 100% of the way to that goal of really establishing a group of people to really be around with yet, I still sit alone at lunch as the set design / lightning crew all have separate groups outside of drama so its tough for me to find a place, but its the little steps that count.
I agree it can be hard to socialize I find it difficult myself. Most timed I rather be alone and secluded but I realized I don’t really wanna be like that my whole life. What you said is right baby steps count and I’m glad you are doing that and finally making progress keep up the good work. Hearing this makes me want to do better.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
After debating with myself on where to post this message between three or four different threads in this forum, I eventually decided this would be the most fitting location. In those particular threads, I've touched on my desire to become a much more social person than I was during the 2021 and 2022 calendar years. So far, 2023's chosen theme of friendship building hasn't been nearly as proactive as I may have hoped, but for the purpose of this post I'm choosing to look at the positive and acknowledge the fact that throughout the course of earlier today... something just kind of clicked in a way that I struggle to explain. It was like a switch had been flipped by a third party, and even if it's only been for one day so far, I actually felt comfortable with being my old, social self again for one of the first times since 2020, a year when the pandemic starting up had actually challenged and inspired me to try and be more social within the limits set upon us.

It wasn't really anything major that happened today. Nothing more than being social with other students in the student center here on campus in and around lunch and dinner time. The thing is, this happened only a day after a rather interesting phone call I shared with my dad. I won't try and be that guy who talks about religion on the Internet by any means, but for what it's worth, my dad had said he talked to one of his favorite pastors at the men's group he often visits on Tuesday evenings. He said he asked the pastor about my ongoing situation with social anxiety and my recurring fears to try and (eventually; Rome wasn't built in a day, after all) pursue an active relationship for the first time.

Whatever the cause of my sudden change in behavior was, it felt nice to try and talk to other students again without having that underlying notion of "Is this supposed to go somewhere further?" swimming around in my head. Ever since a very difficult conversation with some high school friends back in the spring months of 2021 regarding a girl I wanted to get to know better from the grade below us, I've had an underlying fear of approaching people, not because I don't enjoy social interaction, but because if I'm talking to girls, my brain will start to mess with me and I'll start to get really confused on if a person does or doesn't have feelings for me- and especially if I might happen to have feelings for them. I've gotten over that conversation for a while now, but knowing how much negativity I've heard about relationships day in and day out, I must have gained some kind of fear of... I dunno, maybe I'd try and talk to the wrong girl (or heck, the wrong friend in general) at the wrong time, and something bad would happen that could have major consequences on my life going forward.

Disclaimer: Me wanting to make new friends and me eventually wanting a healthy relationship are admittedly two different topics. However, I tend to merge them into the same category of friendship building, which in turns leads me to talking about two topics at once.

After debating with myself on where to post this message between three or four different threads in this forum, I eventually decided this would be the most fitting location. In those particular threads, I've touched on my desire to become a much more social person than I was during the 2021 and 2022 calendar years. So far, 2023's chosen theme of friendship building hasn't been nearly as proactive as I may have hoped, but for the purpose of this post I'm choosing to look at the positive and acknowledge the fact that throughout the course of earlier today... something just kind of clicked in a way that I struggle to explain. It was like a switch had been flipped by a third party, and even if it's only been for one day so far, I actually felt comfortable with being my old, social self again for one of the first times since 2020, a year when the pandemic starting up had actually challenged and inspired me to try and be more social within the limits set upon us.

It wasn't really anything major that happened today. Nothing more than being social with other students in the student center here on campus in and around lunch and dinner time. The thing is, this happened only a day after a rather interesting phone call I shared with my dad. I won't try and be that guy who talks about religion on the Internet by any means, but for what it's worth, my dad had said he talked to one of his favorite pastors at the men's group he often visits on Tuesday evenings. He said he asked the pastor about my ongoing situation with social anxiety and my recurring fears to try and (eventually; Rome wasn't built in a day, after all) pursue an active relationship for the first time.

Whatever the cause of my sudden change in behavior was, it felt nice to try and talk to other students again without having that underlying notion of "Is this supposed to go somewhere further?" swimming around in my head. Ever since a very difficult conversation with some high school friends back in the spring months of 2021 regarding a girl I wanted to get to know better from the grade below us, I've had an underlying fear of approaching people, not because I don't enjoy social interaction, but because if I'm talking to girls, my brain will start to mess with me and I'll start to get really confused on if a person does or doesn't have feelings for me- and especially if I might happen to have feelings for them. I've gotten over that conversation for a while now, but knowing how much negativity I've heard about relationships day in and day out, I must have gained some kind of fear of... I dunno, maybe I'd try and talk to the wrong girl (or heck, the wrong friend in general) at the wrong time, and something bad would happen that could have major consequences on my life going forward.

Disclaimer: Me wanting to make new friends and me eventually wanting a healthy relationship are admittedly two different topics. However, I tend to merge them into the same category of friendship building, which in turns leads me to talking about two topics at once.
Best of luck. I too suffer from social anxiety to a degree it’s not easy at all just take baby steps and everything will fall together eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)