Season 5 Mafia Championships - Voting Stage (see post #42)

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's that time of year again.

No official date is yet confirmed, but the 5th season of the Mafia Championships is approaching. For the uninitiated, this is essentially an NOC mafia tournament on Mafia Universe, in which sites from all over the internet send players to compete for the title of Mafia Champion.

Yeti is ineligible to compete due to being a member of this year's jury, which means we need to find a new rep to send.

I'm going to do things in a bit more structured a manner than last year. Users may officially nominate up to two players in this thread. In two weeks, I'll close this thread and post a voting thread, with any player receiving at least one non-self nomination eligible for voting. That'll last a week, at which time I'll count the votes and figure out who the hell we're sending.

If a player is nominated who does not wish to compete, please say so in this thread so I can remove you from the running. Additionally, please tag whoever you nominate so that they have the chance to notice that they've been nominated.

Feel free to use either thread to discuss potential candidates, but please keep things constructive and civil.

On that note, I'd like to nominate Asek and Empoof, both of whom are excellent players. The knock on Empoof is that he doesn't play on Smogon as much as he used to, but he still lists Smogon as his home community on MU, so I'm claiming him as our own.

Current Nominations:
Asek
Empoof
Haruno
Former Hope
MoodyCloud
Prophylaxis
Hawkie
Texas Cloverleaf
Metal Sonic

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
Id be happy to represent if people wanted me to on the basis it would have to be during june / july / maaaaybe august. I try to avoid these games during school semester, especially those on mu where i find my timezone is much more of a hinderance than it is on smogon

If the game falls out of that range id send haruno:afrostar:

Why would would we send a player who doesn't play games on this forum? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the "competition"?

Yeti

dark saturday
Id be happy to represent if people wanted me to on the basis it would have to be during june / july / maaaaybe august. I try to avoid these games during school semester, especially those on mu where i find my timezone is much more of a hinderance than it is on smogon

If the game falls out of that range id send haruno:afrostar:
my games were during that period, you can select ideal games as well, i think the earliest was in may? but you can pick one of the later games and get slotted there

i nominate formerhope and moodycloud, i think that both have really shone in NOCs in the past year+ that i have paid attention to (rip anyone who did good in a game i didnt lel) and are solid 'newer' players

Ampharos

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable sending Proph after like 4 games on here, given that he's played significantly more elsewhere, but I'll accept the nom.

Also memes aside I really don't think Haruno should go.

Proph gives me the same impression as the guy Kongregate would have sent last year if he hadn't been spending the summer hiking in the German Alps.

This year, I'll probably be the Kong rep.

Asek

Banned deucer.
my serious nomination would be hawkie

id be hesitant to send any of prophylaxis / josh / maybe empoof purely because they arent really 'smogon players'. people can feel free to debate me on that front though

Ampharos

my serious nomination would be hawkie

id be hesitant to send any of prophylaxis / josh / maybe empoof purely because they arent really 'smogon players'. people can feel free to debate me on that front though
my counterargument is that Empoof got his start on Smogon before branching out to other sites, whereas Proph is very decidedly an immigrant to the forum

i have literally no idea whether josh started here or on MS but he's yet to be nominated so

Yeti

dark saturday
empoof and i go way back but he really doesnt play much on smogon anymore, he plays a lot more on mu. i think it would be better to send a player who most/all of their games are on the site because we have an array of good players that holds true of, rather than someone who got their start on smogon but isn't super active playing on it anymore. nothing against him, or proph who i think we are all happy to have as an immigrant, but i do think we have a sizable pool of ppl that are more representative of current smogon noc play than them.

give em the noms for the ego boost but when it comes time to vote i would suggest people vote for someone with more on-forum participation. proph was a nom from a different site last year, i think he made a wildcard run? but didn't get to finals.

Nominate Texas Cloverleaf

Been consistency impressed with him in all games we've played together

Also seconding FH, he really did well as scum

my counterargument is that Empoof got his start on Smogon before branching out to other sites, whereas Proph is very decidedly an immigrant to the forum

i have literally no idea whether josh started here or on MS but he's yet to be nominated so
I get that this makes sense from the perspective of "Let's send our best players" but this "invitational" isn't about sending the "best players" (as evidenced by the fact that there are so many communities invited. It's about sending someone who best represents the current Smogon community in the past year (imo).

It's an insult to the people who actually play on the site and are actually involved in this site's community to send people who do not play on smogon. No disrespect to empoof or anyone else; i'm sure they are all fantastic players but in my opinion this should be about sending a player who best represents the Smogon.com mafia community, not someone who began on smogon but now primarily plays on a different site.

I agree that FH should be a nominee (and he's very close to Moody in my book) but let's clear up the misconception regarding Animal where he "won" not because of his play but because of the rules. That's a huge difference and if you want to give him credit for that game, then you should give an equal if not more credit to Moody for his performance as well.

Yeti

dark saturday
Nominate Texas Cloverleaf

Been consistency impressed with him in all games we've played together

Also seconding FH, he really did well as scum
yea put texas in the voting pool too

proph i hope you play more games on this site even though your win rate is low so far :blobsad: i think everyone enjoys having you around and the effort you put into games.

Yeti

dark saturday
btw word of advice to the nom:

the circus mods will sitcom laugh and go OOOOOH like they're in the third grade when u call ppl retard town on this site but (MU DOES NOT LIKE THIS WORD). they are a much softer community even tho half or more of their games have ppl screeching UR AN IDIOT NOBODY COULD EVER BE AS DUMB AS U anyway, so don't pull a josh vs metal sonic "no UR the retard" battle or some1 will report u.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I will volunteer to be applicable to join this curious event. Yes you may have forgotten about me or assumed that I wasn’t interested in joining but today I will lend a hand and volunteer represent the smogon community as winners

If I’m scum you know I’ll win
If I’m town... you know I’ll catch scum and win if I don’t get paranoia mislynched like in invitational redux because they are scared of my scumgame

Also I have time around now.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually someone tell me what the setup is first lol I’m not playing in a game with 165 people or communities or whatever I’m signing up into

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)